Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Challenges, Contests, and Samples > Reflection Challenge -- 4 high energy RAW files

Photographer

Science V Romance

Seattle, Washington, US

These four photos were taken at the EMP in Seattle for a vintage glam rock shoot. We wanted a location that was colorful and loud, and this purple wall had the added bonus of providing a great reflection of the model. However, buildings, trees, light posts, etc are all distracting. Thus, the retouch challenge!  Your goal is to:

-remove all distracting elements from the background of one or more of these photos (trees, people, buildings) while keeping those that are aesthetically pleasing (the model's reflection, plus any other elements you like-- light reflecting on pavement steps, perhaps?)
-if you choose to retouch DSC 0008, you must also remove the model's "real" left hand, leaving the reflection intact

You may also make other stylistic changes to the photo if you like: ie you can choose to change the color of the eye makeup or megaphone to match the outfit, and you can smooth wrinkles in fabric, etc, but please refrain from adding any dragons or warlocks or other mythical creatures.

Post the image here to enter the challenge! The model, Oralie Randall, and I will check in periodically to determine "winners" (those who did a stellar job following directions stated above). Winners will be allowed to use the photo in their portfolio if they email me the high res edit. If it's been a few days since I last checked in, and you want to see how you did, best to email or PM me to get my attention. The email is scienceviceromance @ gmail.com

8 meg RAW files are hyperlinked below the associated image

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=6i00d2s11q0nio2

Oct 01 10 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

just had a little fun with this one. smile

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_aGsbp5hm6bk/TKcdBc8c3BI/AAAAAAAAAL0/HhJzwJl9jLA/DSC_0025bsm.jpg

Oct 02 10 04:54 am Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:
just had a little fun with this one. smile

Not a winner for our purposes here, but I really love the distortion effect you used--I would have never thought of that. Thanks!

Oct 02 10 10:37 am Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Oralie Randall wrote:
Not a winner for our purposes here, but I really love the distortion effect you used--I would have never thought of that. Thanks!

No problem.  smile  It was a fun photo.

Oct 02 10 10:49 am Link

Retoucher

ManoDeGato by MaryTere

Guadalupe, San José, Costa Rica

Science V Romance wrote:
... but please refrain from adding any dragons or warlocks or other mythical creatures.

Free bump for that funny comment wink

Oct 03 10 12:15 am Link

Photographer

cubicmicron photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That was fun.

https://cubicmicron.net/imgDirectLink/Retouch/DSC_0008_cubicmicron_600.jpg

Oct 03 10 11:01 am Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

zbilly wrote:
That was fun.

Glad you all are having fun with these! Not a winner for our purposes, but I really like the colors in this one, and how the you brought out my eyes while reducing some of the frizz in my hair. Nice job smile

Oct 04 10 09:53 am Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Oralie Randall wrote:

Glad you all are having fun with these! Not a winner for our purposes,

Anyway to get another clue of what you are looking for?

Oct 04 10 02:06 pm Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:
Anyway to get another clue of what you are looking for?

Sure -- I just got a copy of photoshop this weekend and I've been working on one of them (DSC 0008) to see what I can do with it. I'll post my "work in progress" sample when I get off work tonight.

Oct 04 10 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Oralie Randall wrote:

Sure -- I just got a copy of photoshop this weekend and I've been working on one of them (DSC 0008) to see what I can do with it. I'll post my "work in progress" sample when I get off work tonight.

Ok cool, thanks smile

Oct 04 10 02:30 pm Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:
Ok cool, thanks smile

No problem!

And in a general sense-- what the photographer and I are mostly looking for is to minimize background reflections that distract from my reflection. I've been playing mostly with the clone tool to minimize reflections, but tonight I'm going to try copy/pasting "blank" panel reflections in to cover some of the building reflections, then adjusting the color of those sections to make them fit in with the rest of the image, rather than cloning to fill in large areas of the lower panels.

I think the image you chose to work on, Bernie, could probably be edited to minimize "distracting reflections" most easily by cloning out the background in just the left most column of panels (leaving my legs intact, of course) and by cloning out the light post. The other buildings are not my favorite, but aren't too distracting, particularly because I think it's neat how the trees look like they're being blown in the wind once you add the distortion effect. 

We posted the challenge mostly because we were hoping other people would try things out with respect to reflection editing, and share tips if they succeeded in an area where I failed. But don't worry--we also wanted to see what other aesthetic changes people would take the photos to improve them, so we appreciate all non-reflection creative changes to the original, even if we don't think the final images match what we want published outside of the thread.

Oct 04 10 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Oralie Randall wrote:
No problem!

And in a general sense-- What the photographer and I are mostly looking for is to minimize background reflections that distract from my reflection. I've been playing mostly with the clone tool to minimize reflections, but tonight I'm going to try copy/pasting "blank" panel reflections in to cover some of the building reflections, then adjusting the color of those sections to make them fit in with the rest of the image, rather than cloning to fill in large areas of the lower panels.

I think the image you chose to work on, Bernie, could probably be edited to minimize "distracting reflections" most easily by cloning out the background in just the left most column of panels (leaving my legs intact, of course) and by cloning out the light post. The other buildings are not my favorite, but aren't too distracting, particularly because I think it's neat how the trees look like they're being blown in the wind once you add the distortion effect. 

We posted the challenge mostly because we were hoping other people would try things out with respect to reflection editing, and share tips if they succeeded in an area where I failed. But don't worry--we also wanted to see what other aesthetic changes people would take the photos to improve them. so we appreciate all non-reflection creative changes to the original, even if we don't think the final images match what we want published outside of the thread.

Ok I understand.  The thing is though.  The location the building and the reflection are what I thought added to the photo(s) that is why I didn't really do anything with them.   All in all the photos as far as the style are already good.  Reflections are dark so other than eliminating some of the items in the reflection that I understand what you are saying.

With what I did, other than the obvious and distorting some things in the photo.  I just used some adjustment layers for tone adjustment and some D&B on certain areas.

For me, I like textures so the creases in the shorts for example I like.   But anyway thats cool I look forward to seeing your take on them.  There are no rules in photoshop. smile  usually.LOL

EDIT:  I might have gone a little over the top distorting the megaphone. LOL

Oct 04 10 02:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Breaking Midnight Edits

Rochester, New York, US

Best i can do smile

https://i55.tinypic.com/33w08l1.jpg

Oct 04 10 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Science V Romance

Seattle, Washington, US

Breaking Midnight Edits wrote:
Best i can do smile

The lazer's are great!  It was a working megaphone, and this visualization pretty accurately captured the sound of the llama screaming into the megaphone.

To maybe help clarify what we're looking for a bit more and identify distracting features...in this image straight down from the end of the megaphone the reflection of the people who stopped to watch what was going on is distracting...hoping to remove those reflections while leaving the reflective nature of the panel in tact.

Thanks for the edits so far, it's been fun to see how people interpret these images. It was a really fun shoot!

Oct 04 10 05:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Breaking Midnight Edits

Rochester, New York, US

i took out the people from the image smile

https://i53.tinypic.com/a2yd7t.jpg

Oct 04 10 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

cubicmicron photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hair softened, Megaphone green, other distracting elements disguised.

https://cubicmicron.net/imgDirectLink/Retouch/DSC_0008_b_cubicmicron_600.jpg

Oct 04 10 06:24 pm Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

Bernie Browder  wrote:
Ok I understand.  The thing is though.  The location the building and the reflection are what I thought added to the photo(s) that is why I didn't really do anything with them.   All in all the photos as far as the style are already good.  Reflections are dark so other than eliminating some of the items in the reflection that I understand what you are saying.

With what I did, other than the obvious and distorting some things in the photo.  I just used some adjustment layers for tone adjustment and some D&B on certain areas.

For me, I like textures so the creases in the shorts for example I like.   But anyway thats cool I look forward to seeing your take on them.  There are no rules in photoshop. smile  usually.LOL

EDIT:  I might have gone a little over the top distorting the megaphone. LOL

For sure--I like that photography is subjective like that. As for me, my version ended up something like this...

http://orandall.com/S_v_R.html#5

I never did figure out how to seamlessly get rid of the buildings, so I just darkened the one on the right so it wouldn't be so "messy" over there in that corner. I'm still working on trying to get the megaphone to match the teal in my socks, and how to make my hair less frizzy. But it's been fun playing with it!

Oct 05 10 10:31 pm Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

zbilly wrote:
Hair softened, Megaphone green, other distracting elements disguised.

https://cubicmicron.net/imgDirectLink/Retouch/DSC_0008_b_cubicmicron_600.jpg

Sassy, aren't you? Loving the green megaphone, though! I'm still trying to figure out how to get the colors right when I do it...

Oct 05 10 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Aileedubaron

San Antonio, Texas, US

https://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/babylondubaron/Image2.jpg meh
quick edit

Oct 05 10 11:45 pm Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

Breaking Midnight Edits wrote:
i took out the people from the image smile

https://i53.tinypic.com/a2yd7t.jpg

Nice job! Will PM you about portfolio use

Oct 06 10 08:37 am Link

Model

Oralie Randall

Seattle, Washington, US

babylon_dubaron wrote:
https://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/babylondubaron/Image2.jpg meh
quick edit

It already looks a lot better than it did, especially for a quick edit! The one thing I find distracting about this one is the panel between my legs is purple, while the panel to the right is blue--other than that I think you did a good job making all the panels look natural while still removing the reflected features. And I like the icey-ness the blue tone adds!

Oct 07 10 08:37 am Link