Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

Any recommendations on companies and policy types for insurance on my photography equipment?

Jul 30 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

sinse you leftthe question pretty vauge, any local agency will/should carry a policy. the terms will be different for different holders/underwriters ie arbella, commerce, geico..., so go with the reputable company covering fire & theft. make sure you document everything in images, buy everything on a MasterCard as they offer a policy on everything you buy better than most.

Jul 30 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

As a pro or hobbyist?

Jul 30 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

If you are a member of a professional trade organization, you can get insurance through them.

For example, the National Press Photographers Associations offers insurance to members. The Advertising Photographers of America offers a complete insurance plan including liability.

You can get a photographer's liability package through a company such as Travelers as well.

Jul 30 05 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Posted by PhotographerMV: 
sinse you leftthe question pretty vauge, any local agency will/should carry a policy. the terms will be different for different holders/underwriters ie arbella, commerce, geico..., so go with the reputable company covering fire & theft. make sure you document everything in images, buy everything on a MasterCard as they offer a policy on everything you buy better than most.

Thank you MV, I have complete coverage through State Farm under a fire and casualty protection policy called a "PERSONAL ARTICLES POLICY" with replacment cost of $3084 and pay $38 annually.

Jul 30 05 10:37 am Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

I would keep it off your home policy, espically if you make money with your gear. Soon as you make a claim it could effect your home policy as well.

I use Tom Pickard  http://www.groupinsure.com/ They do photographers and video insurance, great service. I have about 30,000 policy with them and it covers all my gear no  matter what, plus my computer and laptop, portfolio replacement. Also has liablity insurance included. It's a couple hundred a year, but Im covered for just about anything that could happen.

Matter of fact thanks for the reminder, I need to send in my payment!

Jul 30 05 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Eye Behold

Fountain Hills, Arizona, US

i'd just get a warranty from ritz camera when i buy equipment. it will be replaced if ever broken. u can't really complain about that

Aug 10 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Thank you MV, I have complete coverage through State Farm under a fire and casualty protection policy called a "PERSONAL ARTICLES POLICY" with replacment cost of $3084 and pay $38 annually.

The biggest problem with State Farnm is that they want all our other insurance before they will write a policy for Personal Articles.   Same with Allstate.

Aug 10 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

Eye Behold wrote:
i'd just get a warranty from ritz camera when i buy equipment. it will be replaced if ever broken. u can't really complain about that

Doesn't do you any good if you bought it somewhere else.

Jeff, I went to groupinsure website and asked for a quote and never got a response... I guess I will check for a number.

Aug 10 05 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I hear State Farm has an excellent Personal Items Insurance policy.

Aug 10 05 01:35 pm Link