Forums > General Industry > Light or Dark...

Model

Brookie Little

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I recently started shooting with a new tog, we were half way through our shooting when i asked to take a look through our work.

In the first set we shot, the lighting had turned out to be much darker.

To my surprise i loved it, my photographer on the other hand did not, as he was looking for a much brighter affect. Does anyone eles like the dark look on a glamour picture?

Nov 21 10 07:16 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Post hidden on Nov 21, 2010 08:21 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Please do not hijack.

Nov 21 10 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Oftentimes the dividing line between glamour and fine art is simply one of light/dark.  Maybe the photographer just didn't want to cross that line.

Nov 21 10 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
What's a "tog"? hmm

If you are looking for feedback on your photos please post in the Critique forum, now called "General Feedback".

https://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=8

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

I think "tog" a form of tweet-speak for photographer, similar in purpose to ROFL, etc.  I don't mind it.  I've been called worse.  Frequently.

What made you think that OP was looking for a critique?  All I saw was a general question on lighter vs. darker images.

Nov 21 10 07:28 am Link

Model

Brookie Little

I'm sorry, i say tog as in photographer big_smile

Nov 21 10 07:30 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

britishbrookie wrote:
I'm sorry, i say tog as in photographer big_smile

Maybe we should start referring to models as "ods" then? wink

As for light vs. dark - glamour is usually well lit so that people can see the bits they're interested in. I would suspect that less brightly lit photos would more often be referred to as "erotic", although I'm sure plenty of people will be be keen to debate that definition! big_smile

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 21 10 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

britishbrookie wrote:
I recently started shooting with a new tog, we were half way through our shooting when i asked to take a look through our work.

To my surprise i loved it, my photographer on the other hand did not, as he was looking for a much brighter affect. Does anyone eles like the dark look on a glamour picture?

The original RAW image, viewed through the camera's LCD, is not even a first draft -- it's an outline of the first draft.  So much can be changed during the post-production photo editing.  Two different people can look at the "outline" and imagine radically different things.

I do let models review the images we made while I'm fussing around with the lighting, but for the most part, unless the model understands what I do in post-processing, she's not really going to "get" what those images mean.

Note:  I usually don't interrupt the flow of the session to show the model images unless I'm trying to make a point and/or to adjust her posing.

Nov 21 10 08:09 am Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Loma Linda, California, US

britishbrookie wrote:

I prefer chiaroscuro like you.  When light strikes, there are lovely shadows that interact with curves, creating mystery, forming imaginary lines, producing personality, defining mood and suggesting a sense of depth.  This is glamour to my eyes and is timeless.

I see a brighter effect for erotica and allows an easier workflow to produce website content in JPG.  The RAW image can quickly be manipulated in post-production to accentuate light and dark patterns, if they exist.

Nov 21 10 09:50 am Link

Model

Brookie Little

*****I do let models review the images we made while I'm fussing around with the lighting, but for the most part, unless the model understands what I do in post-processing, she's not really going to "get" what those images mean.

Note:  I usually don't interrupt the flow of the session to show the model images unless I'm trying to make a point and/or to adjust her posing*****

I must say i do see your point about not letting the model view the images through out the shoot. It can slow the whole shoot down. I couldn't help myself.

Nov 21 10 02:12 pm Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When I think glamour, I think "well-lit". When I think art or anything remotely dark, I think "moody" lighting.

Nov 22 10 07:52 am Link

Model

Brookie Little

Yes but this was still very glamour. I was wearing all black, went well together

Nov 22 10 09:21 am Link