Photographer

Paul Marcus Photos

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Anybody know where I can get a FREE template to make a Playboy Magazine cover for one of my customers?

Thanks.

Rich

Dec 13 10 06:07 am Link

Retoucher

Rob Mac Studio

London, England, United Kingdom

Just google playboy logo and you will get the header font, add your own text.

Dec 13 10 06:18 am Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Don't forget the license fee from PEI....

Dec 13 10 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

Cool Text has a font thats pretty close but the O has a rabbit in the middle. I've done covers for a couple of models but I ask them not to post them because I am a bit concerned with the licensing thing.

Dec 13 10 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

Paul Marcus Photos wrote:
Anybody know where I can get a FREE template to make a Playboy Magazine cover for one of my customers?

Thanks.

Rich

No such thing as a Free trademarked template for Playboy.

Dec 13 10 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Why would you even consider infringing on an iconic trademark? You could get sued!!

Dec 13 10 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

These guys could probably help out

https://www.modelmayhem.com/1045462

Dec 13 10 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

NVision Photography

Marietta, New York, US

Here's a thought
To avoid any copyright issues... make your own smile Call it "Play Dude" and change the rabbit silhouette to a beaver maybe or perhaps a buck smile
Ok, cheap jokes aside, you really could invent something fun and creative for your client. Be an original smile

Dec 14 10 08:17 am Link

Photographer

OpenMinds

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

Rob Mac Studio wrote:
Just google playboy logo and you will get the header font, add your own text.

Thats illegal,  Copyright and trademark infringement = fine and jail.
Please don't promote that kind of activity.

Dec 14 10 08:29 am Link

Retoucher

Rob Mac Studio

OpenMinds wrote:
Thats illegal,  Copyright and trademark infringement = fine and jail.
Please don't promote that kind of activity.

I'm sure your vigilance will hold you in great stead with Playboy Enterprises.

Dec 14 10 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Paul Marcus Photos

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Thanks to everyone for the comments.  I did consider the "infringement" possibilities and I've seen "knock off" looking versions of the cover.  I will figure something out, but again.....thanks for the warnings!

Rich

Dec 16 10 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Make your own, it's so easy with computer these days. That way you don't have to worry about copyright and trademark infringement.

Dec 16 10 10:52 am Link

Retoucher

Rob Mac Studio

I did but was told I would go to jail.

What exactly constitutes copyright infringement if you mock a copy up. The use of the word?

Dec 16 10 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Rob Mac Studio wrote:
I did but was told I would go to jail.

What exactly constitutes copyright infringement if you mock a copy up. The use of the word?

I don't think you go to jail for civil matters like copyright/trademark infringement, not even in U.K., may be in China, Russia, or Middle East (if they decide you did violate the laws)? You go to jail only for criminal offense.

Dec 16 10 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

I think the problem is you making use of there trademark in a commercially offered product.  In other words you are making money off their design.  You could make one for display only as a satire, and that would fall under fair use, but as soon as you "sold' it to someone else, you are infringing.

Dec 16 10 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Innovative Imagery wrote:
I think the problem is you making use of there trademark in a commercially offered product.  In other words you are making money off their design.  You could make one for display only as a satire, and that would fall under fair use, but as soon as you "sold' it to someone else, you are infringing.

I'm not even sure that you can get away with one as a display.

When I was working with Playboy and had shoots published in almost every issue, I thought it would be a nice thing to make up some hats with the bunny logo and the caption "Playboy Photo Dept." on it.

I had about 20 of them made as Christmas gifts and gave them to all the folks in the photo department and to all the editors.

A week later I got a threatening letter from the Playboy Legal Department informing me that if I was to continue violating their Trademark, they would have no choice but to sue me.

That was the last time I ever gave those #!*%# people any gifts.

KM

Dec 16 10 05:16 pm Link

Model

Maja Stina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

When I was working with Playboy and had shoots published in almost every issue, I thought it would be a nice thing to make up some hats with the bunny logo and the caption "Playboy Photo Dept." on it.

I had about 20 of them made as Christmas gifts and gave them to all the folks in the photo department and to all the editors.

A week later I got a threatening letter from the Playboy Legal Department informing me that if I was to continue violating their Trademark, they would have no choice but to sue me.

KM

Yeah, Playboy owns the name, bunny and whatnot and so ANYONE that uses it without their consent is liable to having legal action taken against them. Simple as that.

If you DO decide to do a mock-up magazine cover (though I don't know why you would want to), don't be stupid and post it online. ;-)

I certainly wouldn't do it for a customer, either. If said customer decided to sell "your" magazine cover, you could be in DEEP shit. You wouldn't be able to regulate what the customer did with it. Bad idea, if you ask me.

Just tell your customer that, as a professional, you are not willing to infringe copyright laws. Simple. If they tell you to get bent, just know that you did the right thing and they can go and find a photographer that doesn't care about copyright. smile

Dec 16 10 05:21 pm Link

Retoucher

Rob Mac Studio

Tattoos?

Dec 16 10 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

JM Dean wrote:
These guys could probably help out

https://www.modelmayhem.com/1045462

Perfect!

Dec 17 10 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

KM

Not quite the same thing as making a sample for your studio, but I appreciate your experience.  smile

By the way, I seem to remember souvenir photo both type places that used to put "your picture on a magazine cover" and I seem to remember Playboy being one of the options.

Dec 17 10 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Kristina Vassilieva

KM

Haha! KM That's genius!

...Who'd've known the cool kids at Playboy had no sense of humour eh...! big_smile

Dec 17 10 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

About making a mock up Playboy cover... even changing the font, part of the wording etc....
years ago I was building and selling some die cast cars and like an idiot, I named them 'Skunk Works.' The very first time I put one on ebay it hit the fan. Within about an hour of the start of the auction, ebay pulled the auction and sent me a letter saying if I ever tried to sell something like that again, I would be banned from ebay for life. Later that same day I recieved a rather rude letter from Lockheed telling me that the name 'Skunk Works' in any version now known or 'yet to be disigned' is fully copyrighted. Within 7 days I had a binder of shit from their New York lawyers in which they again said that every single possible way of spelling Skunk Works was copyrighted and that any way of spelling it 'not yet known' is also copyrighted.
I suppose that means is some aliens from a billion light years away show up threatening to blow up the planet if we don't give them all our water, Lockheed will sue them because their ship was built by Skunkworks of Delta Beta 3456.

All I'm saying is, I wouldn't be afraid to say that if Skunk Works is owned in such a way, a company like Playboy has probably done the same thing. I'd say they probably aren't as anal about it though.

Dec 18 10 01:01 pm Link