Forums > Photography Talk > Playboy lighting/makeup vs. retouching

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

* Visual Mindscapes * wrote:

JvR wrote:
Do you understand that your posts show that you're immature?

And?  lol

Do you understand that no matter how good your shots are, a lot of people wouldn't want to work with somebody who behaves as unprofessional as you do?

Really?  Wow!  That sucks!

Why am I always the bad guy here?  Read the whole thread!

Because you insult people in virtually every thread you start posting in. Do you talk that way to your models, clients, friends,  etc. as well?

Aug 09 05 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Working with a single light-source should be second nature to all of us... I mean, we do it when we shoot outdoors!!!
I do like your style a lot :-)

jameshickey wrote:
Personally, I dislike the look of many lights....hair lighting looks dated to me.  I have lots of heads but tend to build my style around a single light source.....if I dont use a signle head, I try my best to make it look like a single light source. 

Maybe this is because I love shadows and contrast, maybe it's because I need more lighting development.

Aug 09 05 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Chow Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You can achieve a lot of different lighting effects with one light source with different light modifiers.  BTW, are we allowed to swear on this forum?  Are there moderators on this forum?

Aug 09 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Okay, there was a bit of discussion in another thread a few days ago about how much of Playboy's models' perfection was done by lighting and makeup and how much was done with retouching.  At the time, I couldn't find the magazine in which I had read a pertinent quote, and now I can't find that thread.  So here's a new one for your reading pleasure.  It's not a definitive answer, but it's an interesting firsthand source.

This is from PDN June 2004 "Andrew Goldman Lightens Up" by Susan Reich.

I found the magazine I mentioned which had the Playboy"how they do it" article. It was in my, um,,,,,,,,,Library(coff coff)
It was July 2005`s Popular photography and imaging.

Aug 10 05 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Brian Diaz wrote:
Okay, there was a bit of discussion in another thread a few days ago about how much of Playboy's models' perfection was done by lighting and makeup and how much was done with retouching.  At the time, I couldn't find the magazine in which I had read a pertinent quote, and now I can't find that thread.  So here's a new one for your reading pleasure.  It's not a definitive answer, but it's an interesting firsthand source.

This is from PDN June 2004 "Andrew Goldman Lightens Up" by Susan Reich.

I just watched part of some TV show about Hugh Hefner and his girls and such. I saw one of their photographers using one of the Canon digital Rebels if I am not mistaken. Struck me as odd. I thought they used much more complicated equipment,lol.

Aug 10 05 03:30 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

JvR wrote:
Because you insult people in virtually every thread you start posting in. Do you talk that way to your models, clients, friends,  etc. as well?

Um, well sometimes, lol.

Aug 10 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

waynesglamgirls wrote:
BTW, are we allowed to swear on this forum?  Are there moderators on this forum?

No!  I killed them all!

Aug 10 05 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Why am I always the bad guy here?

They gotta have some one to pick on

Aug 10 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

No!  I killed them all!

Yea you coulda done that before they put a lock on the phantom zone!!

Aug 10 05 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Hundsnurscher

Seattle, Washington, US

From watching behind-the-scenes footage from playboy shoots, the impression I get is that there isn't any one single way they're lighting or shooting their centerfolds.
I've seen Mr. Freytag shoot with ring lights and softboxes before and then with the new E! show 'The Girls Next Door', the photographer was shooting with a Canon 1Ds and a Hasselblad H1 paired with a digital back and a giant octabank softbox.

Aug 10 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Playboy just went to digital for the special editions this year.  Prior to that, they woudn't accept digital for their print publicaitons.  They still use a lot of film for otehr things.

You guys are sure arguing a lot because they have so many different scenarios that there is no one right answer.

Shooting a centerfold is an entirely different animal from shooting for College Girls.  To some degree budget controls the number of lights and the amount of retouching.

Aug 11 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:

Dont worry because Visual Dumbass can do it all with two lights, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!! Just keep bringing this funny ass shit Venereal smile

By the way Hugh, they don't shoot the centerfold or covers in digital so I am not sure where you heard this? They use to shoot 8x10 and now shoot 645 for those because of the film quality but it isn't digital yet.

I watched a special on the playboy mansion, hugh and his girls the other night . They showed a photoshoot going on and what was the photographer using? A canon digital rebel, an 800 dollar digital camera. go figure.

Aug 11 05 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

No!  I killed them all!

No, you missed at least one. One I absolutely can not stand, fix your rifles "sight", man. Yer bead is a lil off,lol.

Aug 11 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
They showed a photoshoot going on and what was the photographer using? A canon digital rebel, an 800 dollar digital camera. go figure.

Is that why so much of playboy looks like photoshopped-over crap these days? I thought the images had zero skin grain in them because of cheezy over-photoshopping; but maybe it's just that they're using a low-end digital P&S and over-enlarging the file with Genuine Fractals.

GWC!

Aug 11 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

jameshickey wrote:
Personally, I dislike the look of many lights....hair lighting looks dated to me.  I have lots of heads but tend to build my style around a single light source.....if I dont use a signle head, I try my best to make it look like a single light source. 

Maybe this is because I love shadows and contrast, maybe it's because I need more lighting development.

We have the same lighting philosophy. Keep it simple and elegant.

Aug 11 05 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I watched a special on the playboy mansion, hugh and his girls the other night . They showed a photoshoot going on and what was the photographer using? A canon digital rebel, an 800 dollar digital camera. go figure.

Hmm... Yes I watched because Kendra is a friend of mine. Anyway you didn't read my post or for some reason don't understand that what you saw on the show was a test shoot and I was talking about the centerfold and cover only!

Aug 12 05 02:43 am Link

Model

Amy Raquel

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Why don't each one of you photgraph me, and then we can decide who's right..  big_smile

You have to try to get me published, though.. hey, retouching is ok with me.. Who needs freckles anyways...

Aug 12 05 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Visualscape

I'll photograph you, but I don't own any lights... that's about the only set-up that's agreed upon here that WON'T create playboy style.    smile

There's always Hustler...

smile   

Oh, and by the way, I'll be using my new Canon 5D... hear about it yet?

Aug 12 05 03:35 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

So, what's the deal with the Playboy mansion? Do you get a special invite to get in, or is one of the cooks a relative there, or do you just show up at the gate and say, "Hi...I'd like a tour"?

I'm a NorCal dood. So, don't know about those things down there in L.A. smile

Aug 12 05 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Joe K. Perez wrote:
So, what's the deal with the Playboy mansion? Do you get a special invite to get in, or is one of the cooks a relative there, or do you just show up at the gate and say, "Hi...I'd like a tour"?

I'm a NorCal dood. So, don't know about those things down there in L.A. smile

It took something Venereal doesn't have, talent!

Aug 12 05 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I'd love to shoot with you... and for the record, I absolutely adore freckles!!!

Amy Raquel wrote:
Why don't each one of you photgraph me, and then we can decide who's right..  big_smile

You have to try to get me published, though.. hey, retouching is ok with me.. Who needs freckles anyways...

Aug 12 05 03:57 am Link

Model

Amy Raquel

Why thank you.. You are very nice.. big_smile

Aug 12 05 03:58 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:
It took something Venereal doesn't have, talent!

lol you sure do like bringing up my name alot.  Are you gay or something?

Aug 12 05 04:21 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:
Hmm... Yes I watched because Kendra is a friend of mine. Anyway you didn't read my post or for some reason don't understand that what you saw on the show was a test shoot and I was talking about the centerfold and cover only!

puahaha, don't try and cover your tracks like you know shit.

Aug 12 05 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Rage Photographics

Irving, Illinois, US

Truth is, we all have our own styles.  None of it's right or wrong.  You either like it or you don't and that's nothing more than opinion.  I try never to forget the fact that I simply love taking photos and always will.  I just want to improve with time.  All the mud-slinging changes nothing.
I read that article about Freytag and it was a good article.  If you like the Playboy product then you'll appreciate what he has to say.  If you don't, then it wouldn't matter what he said regardless.
Don't be influenced by anyone.  Let your own imagination be your greatest influence. 
Speaking of touching up a photo;  Has anyone checked out Leeann Tweedon's spread in FHM this month?  Ouch.

Aug 12 05 12:27 pm Link

Model

Tanya O

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How come this thread turned into another "Let's rag on Visual" thread? Good Lord, people! He says  he can get the lighting with 2 lights, well.. Good for him! He didn't tell anyone off or say anything offensive until a bunch of FAR more immature people started ragging on him about his statement. They even went so far as to insult his character over a simple one-sentence post.

What is this, 'reality' TV?

Visual seems to get enough business doing what he's doing - good photography.  Let it go.

Aug 12 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Xi wrote:
How come this thread turned into another "Let's rag on Visual" thread?...They even went so far as to insult his character over a simple one-sentence post.

That's a certain user's MO.  It's quite dull, if you ask me.

Aug 12 05 10:40 pm Link