Forums > General Industry > What to say about yourself.

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

As far as I know this is a Modeling and Photographers website. Where photographers and models are here to meet and do some work together.

For me as a photographer I look at faces and portfolios, looking for the right look for my needs. I find all the writing about you past high school experience or being the the botany club has absolutely nothing to do in helping you get a job.

Use the "About Me" section to explain about you Modeling background and experience. I don't need to know what you favorite hobbies are or whether you like chocolate cake over vanilla.

As a commercial photographer I need to know if you can do the job. Do you have the look I need? Do you have any experience? I don't care about you hobbies.

So please use the "About Me" section for Relevant Job experience please.

Thanks,

Mark

Aug 01 05 10:28 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Amen.  Putting overly personal information in About Me sections makes this place feel more date-oriented and less work-related.

Aug 01 05 10:32 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

I must admit that at first, I was all conceited about my about me section, but a photog actually reminded me that this is the business and iam a product so I need to sell myself the best way I know how. just check my about me section and let me know what ya think!

adios/ciao

Aug 01 05 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Chocolate cake over vanilla?

Aug 01 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

I agree with this. "Credits" is another section with problems...I have seen models that instead of giving the modeling credits give I dont know what video gaming award they got when in highschool...

Aug 01 05 10:39 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I say as little about myself as possible. Let the photos do the talking.

Aug 01 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Posted by IndianaGlamour: 
Chocolate cake over vanilla?

LOL, that's what I was wondering about myself haha

Aug 02 05 12:20 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Posted by Pitaru: 
I agree with this. "Credits" is another section with problems...I have seen models that instead of giving the modeling credits give I dont know what video gaming award they got when in highschool...

I agree.
And the quality of the credit is also important. I don't understand how someone can call a 1/8 page photo in Goat Roping mag a tear when the circulation is to one family in Georgia. Or, to a perv website that gets 10 hits a month.

It really ok for people to tell the truth and not embellish. It is a strength, not a weakness.

Aug 02 05 05:51 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by markEdwardPhoto: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

I agree.
And the quality of the credit is also important. I don't understand how someone can call a 1/8 page photo in Goat Roping mag a tear when the circulation is to one family in Georgia. Or, to a perv website that gets 10 hits a month.

It really ok for people to tell the truth and not embellish. It is a strength, not a weakness.

If I ever met a model who has done Goat roping, I have to admit, I'd actually be interested to sit and listen to her explain the process.

Hey, c'mon. I'm a City boy. Things like that don't come up at all in conversations.

Aug 02 05 06:05 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I agree. Talk about your interest and experience relative to photography or modeling,. Skip the rest.

Aug 03 05 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Posted by Josie Nutter: 
Amen.  Putting overly personal information in About Me sections makes this place feel more date-oriented and less work-related.

Then how am I suppose to get dates? wink

Aug 03 05 09:55 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by DigitalCMH: 

Posted by Josie Nutter: 

Pay for 'em. like everyone else. Duh.

Aug 03 05 10:25 am Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

GOOD ONE! he he

Aug 03 05 11:46 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I use the about me to give out information.. I use the credits section to make a joke! smile

If someone happens not to like it... they can move along smile.

Aug 03 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Lapis: 
I say as little about myself as possible. Let the photos do the talking.

I agree.  I wish I could do the same in my profile, but people don't always "get" what my work is about, so I make my profile as detailed as possible.

Aug 03 05 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Posted by theda: 

Posted by DigitalCMH: 

Posted by Josie Nutter: 

Pay for 'em. like everyone else. Duh.

haha, I'm gonna have to stop doing TFP so I can make some money for sex! wink

Aug 03 05 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

As a person I am ascerbic and not everyone's cup of tea. Lately I have been having a problem with being too honest, and so my about me section is overly long and wordy. Probably has some errors as well as far as spelling and grammer go, do I care...

no

Better that people have an idea of what I am like before they decide to hire me. The only thing that should limit yourself is yourself, not someone else's idea of what you should and shouldn't say.

If someone feels that I NEED to know that Sondheim rules and Webber drools, so be it. I am looking for a personality, not just a body. I hope people here are looking for people they can work with, not just a body of work,

Star

Aug 03 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

As far as I know this is a Modeling and Photographers website. Where photographers and models are here to meet and do some work together.

For me as a photographer I look at faces and portfolios, looking for the right look for my needs. I find all the writing about you past high school experience or being the the botany club has absolutely nothing to do in helping you get a job.

Use the "About Me" section to explain about you Modeling background and experience. I don't need to know what you favorite hobbies are or whether you like chocolate cake over vanilla.

As a commercial photographer I need to know if you can do the job. Do you have the look I need? Do you have any experience? I don't care about you hobbies.

So please use the "About Me" section for Relevant Job experience please.

Thanks,

Mark

soooooo, now the site is NOT having that friendster my space kinda feel?

Now we're just into name stats bulimia schedule?

DISCONNECT between 2 worlds again.....

Aug 03 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Unlike some of the posters here on this thread who know how to just pass BS and not real content;

The 'About' section should be Photography and Modeling related that is pertinent for people to have an understanding about you.

Your work should say the rest.

M

Aug 03 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Yeah!! My work totally speaks for itself!!!

And ur spelling! The way u type also says a lot about how perfessional u are as a model or as a phtographr!!!!

GWC!

Aug 03 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by GWC: 
And ur spelling! The way u type also says a lot about how perfessional u are as a model or as a phtographr!!!!

GWC!

If you're so busy you have to abbreviate 3 letter words you must be a pro!

Aug 03 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Unlike some of the posters here on this thread who know how to just pass BS and not real content; 

Hmmm.  I think your tone is a bit belittling.  Not quite flaming though...

The 'About' section should be Photography and Modeling related that is pertinent for people to have an understanding about you.

Well yes, I do tend to agree that I don't quite care if a model likes watermelon on Tuesdays or thinks of puppy dogs when she hears a Paul Anka tune.  However, my point is that you are obviously a very professional kinda guy, looking to mayhem for the model that will give you that look you're looking for.   Others are beginning, some might say growing.  Or they're not interested in a career in commercial photography or modeling...they might actually be...GASP... a fine art model...looking to create...GASP...art... and so some info on who they are they feel won't kill the reader.

All I'm suggesting is to cut them a break.  After all look at what I read on your port:

I am happily married and not looking to hookup, just make some great images.

I am always looking to work with talented people on cool projects. After retiring from my career on Wall Street after 16 years I now make my living in the commercial photography world.

Now really,does the reader really need to know that you ar happily married?  Can't you be a good photographer and be unmarried or married and tortured?

What about your career on Wall Street.  Does that matter?  Or the fact you were at it for 16 years? 

Isn't that just a bit too much info?

Hmmm....

Aug 03 05 09:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

It's been said before and is worth saying again,  Some of us are here to socialize.  And it is also worth mentioning that some of us don't believe everything we read.
It is also worth saying that while I have made many contacts through both OMP and MM, I rely on other sources for the majority of my paying work.  The agency I work with and my own marketing.
I have photographers that I met 4 years ago that steadily give me paying gigs.  But, I also receive alot of nonsense, no paying, working with a not-so-good photographer requests from models that charge day rates and don't do tfp but ask me to work for free.
People are people.  You cannot change them.  This is a vain business and people want to show you how cool they (think they) are.
Annoying at times, yes.  But I just skip to what I think is relevant.  Or just move on.  Most times I move on. 
My profile is pretty sparse and I even think that is too much.  And I don't bother with credits.  I don't think anyone cares what magazines my stuff is in or who I worked with unless they want to hire me.

Aug 04 05 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Posted by KM von Seidl: 

Hmmm.  I think your tone is a bit belittling.  Not quite flaming though...

Well yes, I do tend to agree that I don't quite care if a model likes watermelon on Tuesdays or thinks of puppy dogs when she hears a Paul Anka tune.  However, my point is that you are obviously a very professional kinda guy, looking to mayhem for the model that will give you that look you're looking for.   Others are beginning, some might say growing.  Or they're not interested in a career in commercial photography or modeling...they might actually be...GASP... a fine art model...looking to create...GASP...art... and so some info on who they are they feel won't kill the reader.

All I'm suggesting is to cut them a break.  After all look at what I read on your port:

I am happily married and not looking to hookup, just make some great images.

I am always looking to work with talented people on cool projects. After retiring from my career on Wall Street after 16 years I now make my living in the commercial photography world.

Now really,does the reader really need to know that you ar happily married?  Can't you be a good photographer and be unmarried or married and tortured?

What about your career on Wall Street.  Does that matter?  Or the fact you were at it for 16 years? 

Isn't that just a bit too much info?

Hmmm....

Hmmm, I considering putting Single, 33, and very available for photos, movies, dinners, etc.

Aug 04 05 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

MOdels should always post wheather they do NUDES or not!!!
So photogs would not waste their time asking models who have made up their mind against nudes BUT would not post that...
Some models even get offended by being asked ...

Models .. please be a bit more intelligent, would you ? :-)

Aug 06 05 07:41 pm Link

Model

Mina

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Some photographers seem really irritated at not getting the information they want from the 'About Me' section, but I think the problem is most likely not that the model is lazy or stupid but that she doesn't know what to write, especially if she doesn't have a lot of experience to sell herself with.  That was certainly my case.  My 'About Me' section is only a couple sentences.  Maybe photographers can add to this thread by letting models know exactly what they want to know that is most often missing.

Aug 07 05 11:26 pm Link