Forums > General Industry > What should I charge per hour?

Model

Katrina Cantwell

Los Angeles, California, US

I have been modeling for 2 1/2 years. I now consider myself experienced and have been doing lots of paid work, however, the paid work has been offerd to me as a certain amount. Now, I am being asked for my rates without any offer for how much they WANT to pay. I am a good model and have always received positive feedback. They are offering to pay for travel and expenses too...so I know it shouldn't be too much. Like everyone, I love money, but DON'T want to overcharge someone. I would rather have a good relationship with the photographer. What do you think?

Jan 26 11 10:24 am Link

Model

Celia Nudes

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

what kind of work are you being hired for?  What will the photos be used for?

Jan 26 11 10:31 am Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Katrina Julian wrote:
I have been modeling for 2 1/2 years. I now consider myself experienced and have been doing lots of paid work, however, the paid work has been offerd to me as a certain amount. Now, I am being asked for my rates without any offer for how much they WANT to pay. I am a good model and have always received positive feedback. They are offering to pay for travel and expenses too...so I know it shouldn't be too much. Like everyone, I love money, but DON'T want to overcharge someone. I would rather have a good relationship with the photographer. What do you think?

First, if you're often getting paid, that should give you an idea of what the market considers your value.

Second, please be careful with paid travel offers.  Not that all are bad in any way, but it's a yellow "caution" flag.

Jan 26 11 10:35 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we shot one model who had been stood up on one of those paid deals. the guy got laid off a couple days before the shoot. make sure you aren't out-of-pocket on any expenses at least.

as far as what to charge, figure out your expenses (whatever part you'd have to pay yourself) and then add whatever fee you want to charge for the modeling. or just quote some outrageous fee and maybe they're rich and won't mind. a lot of ways to play the game. but don't feel like you have to lowball just to be nice. quote enough to make it worth your while (worst-case they can just say no). and sometimes people put more value on something just because it's more expensive.

it's one thing to travel around and seek gigs like the traveling nude models but to have one person fly you in is interesting, especially if it's not for a workshop.

Jan 26 11 10:41 am Link

Model

Engel Schrei

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

MikeRobisonPhotos wrote:
First, if you're often getting paid, that should give you an idea of what the market considers your value.

Second, please be careful with paid travel offers.  Not that all are bad in any way, but it's a yellow "caution" flag.

Oh Bull. People pay for my travel all the time.

Often, one person covers airfare in trade for a half or full day shoot, I stay with friends or make other accommodation arrangements, and book additional work while I'm in the area.

While I do suggest checking references on said offers, it's not uncommon or unusual to have them.

*Edit. and only about 10% of the time is it for a workshop.

Jan 26 11 10:52 am Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Engel Schrei wrote:

This.

Jan 26 11 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

1)  Modeling is a competitive business.  What are similar models in your area earning?  (The rates here in Portland, Oregon have nothing to do with the rates there in Las Vegas).

2)  If you are getting paid already, then try an exercise.  If you are getting too much work, raise your rates a bit.  If you are not getting enough work, try lowering your rates a bit.  If you are satisfied with the amount of work you are getting, keep charging what you've been charging.

3)  Discussing rates is a negotiation.  Rule #1 in negotiation:  the party that names a price first is at a significant disadvantage.  Try getting them to suggest a rate.

4)  Remember...
   ...  Not all models are created equal,
   ...  Not all photographers are created equal,
   ...  Not all clients are created equal,
   ...  Not all projects are created equal,
   ...  Not all budgets are created equal,
   ...  Not all usages are created equal,
   ...  etc.
Think about negotiating on a case-by-case basis.

Jan 26 11 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

Everything is relative. Charge what people are willing to pay.

Jan 26 11 11:59 am Link

Model

Jennifer R Rose

Akron, Ohio, US

Sungoddess Studios wrote:
Everything is relative. Charge what people are willing to pay.

This. And remember to be negotiable as well. If you are still unsure what to charge, try asking what the photographer's budget is. Do that a few times and try to find an average. And then play with that average rate until you find a good balance of shoots and income.

Jan 26 11 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

$89.95333333

Jan 26 11 12:36 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MikeRobisonPhotos wrote:

Point A: Yes. OP, what do you USUALLY make?

Point B: No. Why? People pay for my travel all the time. I TFAirfare, Busfare, Traintickets, hotel/motel stay. Sometimes if say, the bus ticket is only 20 bucks, I will just reduce 20 bucks out of my normal rate, because I wont shoot a whole day for 20 bucks.

Jan 26 11 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

My technique for setting rates goes like this:

1. Consider the cost of doing business, including gas, time, and any other expenses like a manicure or lunch out the day of the shoot

2. Ask yourself legitimately how much the job is worth to you. By this I mean, what amount of money makes it so that you'd rather go to the job than whatever else you'd be doing that day.

3. Add these two numbers together.

The point of exchanging currency for services or goods is to create a fair exchange. Setting the value of our own time and talent is difficult, but if you want to always be happy with your job, this is how to do it.

Charge what people are willing to pay

This is a great way to always be broke and spend a lot of time resenting the shit out of the people you're working for. People never offer as much as they're actually willing to pay, and they'll often object even when they ARE willing to pay it. If you let other people tell you what your time is worth, they're going to lowball you, and you'll be miserable.

Jan 26 11 06:06 pm Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

Make a list of all the paying jobs you've had. Find the the most common amount you've been paid per hour - there you go, that's your rate. It's how I set mine when I was starting to get paid jobs, and it's still what I refer to to keep myself in check.

Also, keep in mind that you can go slightly lower, and book more often, or go slightly hire, and book less often. It depends on how you want to market yourself and how often you'd like to be shooting.

Some of it is just feeling out what makes a job worth it for you. For example... someone offers me $100 for a half day of shooting - eh, probably won't take it. $100 is nice but when I consider what I could do with 4-6 hours of my day, that doesn't usually cut it. Some offers $200 for the same amount of time? That starts to be more appealing.

Jan 26 11 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

www.newmodels.com

go to a meet and great and meet some other models.

Jan 26 11 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

MikeRobisonPhotos wrote:

Engel Schrei wrote:

Often, one person covers airfare in trade for a half or full day shoot, I stay with friends or make other accommodation arrangements, and book additional work while I'm in the area.

While I do suggest checking references on said offers, it's not uncommon or unusual to have them.

She doesn't do nudes and she apparently isn't with an agency.  I'd think that would cut it down a bit.

Jan 26 11 06:11 pm Link

Model

Katrina Cantwell

Thanks everybody! You've all given me WONDERFUL advice I will be sure to take. Thanks again!

Jan 27 11 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

What photographers have offered and paid in the past should be a good guide as to what you are worth. Set your rates according to that.

Jan 27 11 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Star

you shouldn't charge anything till you learn how to access your market and understand it. Your market here has a search function on the forums, you chose not to use it. You, therefor, are not ready to start charging for shoots

Jan 27 11 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Lorin Edmonds wrote:
www.newmodels.com

I think we may need to come up with a new internet/MM word to describe people who, for no reason, mindlessly refer other people to websites that contain absolutely no useful information that is relevant to the inquiry.

That said, . . . OP, work for non-nude freelance models is tough.  If you can't find an agency to sign you, that may (unfortunately) say something about your marketability.  In that case, take whatever money you can for the shoots you are offered.

Things to consider when negotiating:

1) The intended usage of the images
2) Whether you will be getting photos and/or exposure from the shoot
3) Your geographic location
4) The photographer's experience
5) YOUR experience
6) The nature of the work .  . .

. . . and so on, . . and so on . . . and so on . . . .

Jan 27 11 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Depends... What type of modeling are you willing to do?  The less limits you have, the more opportunities you will find.

There are tons of experienced models here so that in itself is not anything special. It is a buyers market here, so keep that in mind. For every modeling job, there are 50+ girls competing for it.

Jan 27 11 06:35 pm Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Katrina Julian wrote:

Yes. That's how all other jobs are paid by. I've created day prices, and half-day prices that are differant from my hourly wages. It's all depends on the photographer and what they're asking you to shoot. You know, casuals cheaper and nude is expensive.

Jan 27 11 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

The answer is to charge what you feel comfortable with, and if the photographer doesn't want to pay it, then you'll know.  There are some excellent models on this website who charge $10 an hour! (I've worked with one!)   Then there are other excellent models who charge $100 an hour!  It's not often that I would be willing to pay $100 an hour.   I like paying models between $25 to $50 per hour depending on the shoot.  Throw some numbers out there and negotiate!

Jan 27 11 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Star wrote:
you shouldn't charge anything till you learn how to access your market and understand it. Your market here has a search function on the forums, you chose not to use it. You, therefor, are not ready to start charging for shoots

If people were sending you notes asking what your rates are, would you turn them all down because you didn't use the "search function" properly, especially given that it is well known that the search function is pretty much useless?

Jan 27 11 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Art of the nude wrote:
If people were sending you notes asking what your rates are, would you turn them all down because you didn't use the "search function" properly, especially given that it is well known that the search function is pretty much useless?

Not that I can make head nor tails of Star's suggestion, but she appears to be suggesting using the forum search. What's wrong with it?

Jan 28 11 04:24 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Engel Schrei wrote:

Yup. I also almost never pay for my own travel, but travel fairly frequently.

Jan 28 11 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

You should charge what you feel like.  If you don't get any takers you are probably asking too much.

Jan 28 11 12:27 pm Link

Model

AnetaBrlikova

New York, New York, US

The Dave wrote:
Depends... What type of modeling are you willing to do?  The less limits you have, the more opportunities you will find.

There are tons of experienced models here so that in itself is not anything special. It is a buyers market here, so keep that in mind. For every modeling job, there are 50+ girls competing for it.

This is not true at all!
Please do not downgrade yourself to any level you don't want to. In long run you
will devaluing yourself.
It is all about quality as a model. Not "how far you willing to go to get paid".
Don't listen anyone like this gentleman. This mindset is only beneficial to these so
called photographers
Set your own rules and rates.
Otherwise, you'll become broke, used and miserable.
I'd recommend to do some other job too on side until you work yourself up as a model..

Feb 28 22 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

When asked for a price the best thing to do is ask questions/
If you quote a rate you may be too expensive or leave money on the table and too cheap can be worse than too expensive.
First question is the What , where , When and use
Second is what is your budget

From there you have a bass to make a decision, say yes or ask for more or decline.

Feb 28 22 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Why are we necrobumping an 11 year old thread? The OP hasn't even logged on to this site for over 7 years now.

Mar 05 22 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Why are we necrobumping an 11 year old thread? The OP hasn't even logged on to this site for over 7 years now.

Don't complain. The response was from a MODEL this time. I thought I had logged in to the wrong website.

Mar 05 22 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Doesn't mean this isn't informative for others.

Mar 08 22 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

The Dave wrote:

Netuska wrote:
This is not true at all!
Please do not downgrade yourself to any level you don't want to. In long run you
will devaluing yourself.
It is all about quality as a model. Not "how far you willing to go to get paid".
Don't listen anyone like this gentleman. This mindset is only beneficial to these so
called photographers
Set your own rules and rates.
Otherwise, you'll become broke, used and miserable.
I'd recommend to do some other job too on side until you work yourself up as a model..

What is it that's "not true at all!"

Mar 08 22 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Curt at photoworks wrote:
What is it that's "not true at all!"

Perhaps it is this ....

"There are tons of experienced models here ..."

There may have been tons of models here on MM a decade ago.

These days I think it may be the other way round with 50+ photographers competing for it.

Mar 08 22 04:23 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Curt at photoworks wrote:

Doesn't mean this isn't informative for others.

early

I agree.

Mar 08 22 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

MLRPhoto wrote:
Second, please be careful with paid travel offers. Not that all are bad in any way, but it's a yellow "caution" flag.

More like a YOLO flag. Try to have fulfilling experiences.

I'm aware of the theoretically precarious circumstances like anybody else, and although avoiding ALL of those circumstances is moderately decent (but not great) for self preservation or avoiding strife, the reality is that nothing bad happens most of the time, and many people are willing to agree with that reality too, just to escape the mundane.

For every woman that makes a theoretical danger about solo travel (because I only hear this from women), there is another thats totally fine with it and does it often. Some have experienced the negative thing they're avoiding, whether or not they travelled at all! Some have only fulfilling experiences. Its random, life is for experiencing.

Mar 08 22 10:26 pm Link