Forums > General Industry > Looking for glamour/centerfold "workshops"

Photographer

shooterjohn

Kinston, North Carolina, US

I "grew up" attending group shoots in southern CA back in the 70's and 80's before moving home to NC.  I found a few in the East.  Among my favorites were a one day event near Clearwater, FL held by Lisa Pavlek through most of the 90's, a small workshop in Morristown, TN held by Stan Johnson, and a much larger 2-3 day event in PA held by Jerry Pokorny, who I think may have passed away.  Most of what I see now are 1/2 day or less events followed by booking the models for 1/2 hour sessions: way too expensive when you add it up compared to an event like Jerry held. 
     Most of these shoots were group shoots and you got to know and work with some very nice amateur and professional models and photographers.
     Does anyone still hold a one day or longer glamour/centerfold event where the emphasis is on photographing the model, not instruction/teaching?
     I'm not a great photographer, but I'm not a bad one either.  I shoot for myself and my own enjoyment.  I don't want to take lessons or see demos when I go to a "workshop" or "shoot"; I want to take a model aside and take pictures, whether it is one on one or with a few other photographers.  The enjoyment is in getting away from home for a few days and associating with fellow photographers, photographing attractive models in interesting locations.

Aug 02 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Check the forum at www.glamourmodels.com.

Aug 02 05 10:41 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Go to http://www.garageglamour.com and look in the forum under "workshops." There's tons of them. Some of them are very good.

M

Aug 02 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

shooterjohn

Thanks.  Saw one in Phoenix that looks good, but that's a bit further than I want to travel.  I appreciate the advice.

Aug 02 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Dave Hall, owner of glamourmodels.com, organizes the AZ Shootout which sounds like what you are interested in.  It is semi-annual and has many returning photographers and models.  It is a low-stress/ego atmosphere on a varied location.  Yet it is far from the East Coast. 

Dave and I have been talking about organizing a similar East Coast event.  I am afraid that instruction will be a greater part of it than it is at the AZSO, but I suppose you could just sleep late while that is happening.  If this comes together, there will be benefits and surprises that could be attractive to you and other photographers and models.

Another possibility for you is the Sun Glam event in Orlando sponsored by SoCal Pro  Models.  Check their web site for details. Contact me if you have any more questions.

Dan Howell

Aug 02 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

shooterjohn

Thanks, Dan.  I'll check out the Sun Glam event in Orlando, but I think it may have already taken place. Maybe, next year.  I'll try to keep track of any east coast event and, yeah, I don't mind sleeping in occasionally.

Aug 02 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Hey John,
SunGlam is going to be 10/7-9/05.  Alan, the sponsor, forgot to update the web site after he changed the date.  Check with him if you are interested.

Aug 02 05 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Hey John...

Wow... I attended several of those events in the 80's as well.  We probably even ran into each other and didnt know it.  If you ever find yourself heading back to CA, look us up, as we have several photoshoots scheduled thru 2005.  Details on website at:  http://www.selectmodels.4t.com   Laterz!

Gary / Select Models

Aug 02 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

shooterjohn

Thanks, Dan.  I'm going to see if I can make it.
Gary, those were good times.  Seems like there was something every weekend: Franks Western Photoshoot, Redlands Photo Fiesta (?), and many others.  Missed out on Bo Derek, but did photograph Heather Locklear, Donna Speer, and a few other actresses and Playboy centerfolds before they made it. Maybe next year, I can get back out there. I've been wanting to go back out west to visit old friends.

Aug 02 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

JT Smith (MM 13367) runs supershoots.com.  I went to one in March and I learned a great deal. It made a real difference in my work.  I'm going to the one in Vegas in the fall and really looking forward to it. Went to one with Johnny Olsen awhile back it was very good too. More shooting than instruction. Johnny will be an instructor at the Vegas Supershoot. You get multiple instructors and a great model/photographer ratio at the supershoots. Real emphasis on learning, not just shooting. Much different than the gang shooting you find at a lot of photoshoots. Also, since they are costlier, it serves as a filter for those who are more committed to the process (in my opinion).  - Curt

Aug 02 05 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

I put on what I call my Traveling Photo Shoot trips.  The next trip is out to the Big Bend area of west Texas.

We will be out in Big Bend for a total of 10 days.  How long the guys stay depends on them. 

I do not teach unless you need it.  This is an all shooting trip and we shoot 3 hrs at sunrise and 3 hours at sunset.

You can find more info at my site.  htttp://www.bobbysargent.com

I put on 2-4 trips a year all over the country.  I can also put together any private shoots with small groups of guys who want a certain location or models who I can supply.  I work with the guys in their needs.

Hope this helps.  bs

Aug 02 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

shooterjohn

Bobby,
You did a workshop a few years ago in Gatlinburg.  Any chance of coming back this way? 

Aug 02 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Posted by shooterjohn: 
Gary, those were good times.  Seems like there was something every weekend: Franks Western Photoshoot, Redlands Photo Fiesta (?), and many others.  Missed out on Bo Derek, but did photograph Heather Locklear, Donna Speer, and a few other actresses and Playboy centerfolds before they made it.

Dude... you're NOT going to believe this.  I went to one of those 'Franks Cameras' photoshoots in the 80's with a friend of mine named Mike Davino... cant remember which shoot.  He said:  'Hey Gary (showin me 4x6 prints), did you shoot this little blonde cutie named Heather (Heather Locklear)?... I said 'No way dude... I was shooting all the busty babes.  Besides, she's a skinny little twit... she'll never amount to anything'... LOL!  Could of kicked myself in the head for that! 

Aug 03 05 02:01 am Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

Aug 03 05 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Bob Warren

Houston, Texas, US

Aug 05 05 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Aug 05 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Aug 05 05 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I really like Johnny Olsen's work, MM 4362.  He's a really great shooter, natural light in particular.  Take a look at his port and tell me that's not quality work.  When I first was hitting internet boards, we were in cyber contact, a quick note here and there.   He was always friendly and helpful, without even having met or no expectations of professional contacts etc.  I was a total newbie and even with his skills and career, he never threw my any attitude whatsoever.  That's the ultimate to me in looking for a good teacher or workshop leader.

Johnny runs some workshops now, and I'd imagine them to be very quality work as opposed to a bunch of the schlock and schlock shooters out there!

http://candydreams.com/workshop.htm

If you've read some of my posts on other threads you know that I'm not one prone to effusive praise, so a post like this from me is a bit out of the ordinary.

Aug 05 05 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

Posted by Dan Howell: 
Dave Hall, owner of glamourmodels.com, organizes the AZ Shootout which sounds like what you are interested in.  It is semi-annual and has many returning photographers and models.  It is a low-stress/ego atmosphere on a varied location.  Yet it is far from the East Coast. 

Dave and I have been talking about organizing a similar East Coast event.  I am afraid that instruction will be a greater part of it than it is at the AZSO, but I suppose you could just sleep late while that is happening.  If this comes together, there will be benefits and surprises that could be attractive to you and other photographers and models.

Another possibility for you is the Sun Glam event in Orlando sponsored by SoCal Pro  Models.  Check their web site for details. Contact me if you have any more questions.

Dan Howell

Dan...
When do you think you might be doing your shootout? I'm a huge fan of your work and would love to attend. You've been kind enough in the past to answer a few of my questions regarding your processing of D1x files.

take care,

-Dennis

Aug 05 05 04:06 pm Link