Forums > General Industry > Ujena Bikini Jam

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I was wandering how many of you are going to Ujena Bikini Jam in Mexico in September. My ugly ass is going to be there. Give me a shout if you're going.

Mark

Aug 02 05 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

your going to pay them to shoot for thier catalog?

somehow that doesn't seem right...

Aug 03 05 12:00 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

The weekly contest on the Ujena site was rigged, so why would I go to Mexico for a rigged contest?

Aug 03 05 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Kathy Grogan

Torrance, California, US

I wish I were going. I was at the last one, by accident. I went on a company trip, and we arrived at our hotel at the same time most of the bikini jam people did. We didn't know it was going to be there. I picked up a few spur of the moment photo shoots so that was pretty cool.

Have a great time in Cabo.

Aug 03 05 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

It amazes me that people will pay a company to shoot a catalogue they need smile LOL this is brilliant!

Aug 03 05 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 
It amazes me that people will pay a company to shoot a catalogue they need smile LOL this is brilliant!

The company has been around for years. Bob Anderson, the guy who started it had originally started Runners World and then sold it at it's peak for a fortune.  Then he started Ujina Swimwear as both a catalog and magazine. It was brilliant!

I shot a former Miss Peru in a couple of Ujina suits. Presented images to them ... and they wanted to charge me to use the pictures in their magazine! (WTF??) FORGET IT!  LOL

Aug 03 05 03:25 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I'm on that site. Bob emailed me personally asking me if I was coming. I can't afford something like that at this time.

Aug 03 05 06:06 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

In fact you're paying for vacation in Mexico all inclusive in top notch hotel. The difference between this vacation and a regular one is that this one is guaranteed to have tons of hot chicks around and you have a chance to end up with a contract. Either way, isn't this what each of us strives for? Isn't this why each of us is on this site? Yeah that's right, You can either spend your life dreaming about being a top model or photographer and keep your greedy dollar in your pocket or you can spend it and "PAY THEM TO SHOOT FOR THEIR CATALOGUE" and increase your chances to get noticed. Isn't it envy that speaks off you?

Aug 03 05 11:38 am Link

Model

Chioma N

Burbank, California, US

Posted by Shayuma: 
I'm on that site. Bob emailed me personally asking me if I was coming. I can't afford something like that at this time.

Not to say you're not bikini jam worthy or beautiful in your own right. . .but Bob emailed an invite to everyone who had a portfolio on the Ujenatalent.com site personally. 

I agree, it is a lot of money & probably rigged.

Chioma

Aug 03 05 11:42 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by MarkMarek: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

In fact you're paying for vacation in Mexico all inclusive in top notch hotel. The difference between this vacation and a regular one is that this one is guaranteed to have tons of hot chicks around and you have a chance to end up with a contract. Either way, isn't this what each of us strives for? Isn't this why each of us is on this site? Yeah that's right, You can either spend your life dreaming about being a top model or photographer and keep your greedy dollar in your pocket or you can spend it and "PAY THEM TO SHOOT FOR THEIR CATALOGUE" and increase your chances to get noticed. Isn't it envy that speaks off you?

We have plenty of lovely models right here in Florida.

Cabo is a tourist dump by the way. Say hi to all the old people from the cruise ships while you're there.

Playa de los Muertos in Puerto Vallarta is where I would take a special lady to get away with if I thought Mexico were an exotic location.

I will refrain from making a comment about your work and the need to pay to shoot models.

Aug 03 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

I will refrain from making a comment about your work and the need to pay to shoot models.

OMGWTFBBQ?

HAHAHAHHA OMG TEH FAKIEZ PHOTOG ON TEH INTARWEB? NO WAY

Aug 03 05 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by MarkMarek: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

i am surrounded by some of the best bikini models..in a tropical location..commericial work is where i get to make a couple of bucks from the apparel manufacturers, who hire me to shoot for thier catalogs and websites...ujena has found a a way to circumvent paying for talent..not only do they not pay for talent..they get the talent to pay them....

if its ok for you..go for it...

Aug 03 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

It's definitely OK with me. Cause if you have already reached the level of having been sent to a tropical location to shoot models and get paid for it, then something like that is of no interest to you. To me, however, I believe that there's more to photography then doing TFP shoots all my life just to be able to show some portfolio which is the situation of most of you here. The world is overcrowded with photographers, and if you want to start making big bucks on it you have to do something about it. There's too many photogs out there, get yourself noticed. I feel sorry for all of you whose envy made you run me down like that in previous replies. Good luck spending the rest of your life joining photography sites to hook up with models for TFP shoots. I myself am going for more.

Doud, were you serious or just kidding?

Aug 03 05 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by MarkMarek: 
It's definitely OK with me. Cause if you have already reached the level of having been sent to a tropical location to shoot models and get paid for it, then something like that is of no interest to you. To me, however, I believe that there's more to photography then doing TFP shoots all my life just to be able to show some portfolio which is the situation of most of you here. The world is overcrowded with photographers, and if you want to start making big bucks on it you have to do something about it. There's too many photogs out there, get yourself noticed. I feel sorry for all of you whose envy made you run me down like that in previous replies. Good luck spending the rest of your life joining photography sites to hook up with models for TFP shoots. I myself am going for more.

Mark, I was not running you down nor am I envious of you sending your money to Bob Anderson so that he can act as your travel agent.  Spending money to shoot for Ujena wear is not going to mean that you will even end up shooting for his catalog. In fact it certainly is NOT the path taken by those photographers who get PAID to travel to exotic locations to shoot bikini clad Super models.  If you want to shoot for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, you must first shoot for Sports Illustrated!

Doug is as serious as a heart attack!  OK, I can safely assume you were not born yesterday ... so please listen to me. 

I know who Bob Anderson is, I met him, and printed other photographers work for him. I was there in the early days and have shot with some of the models that started with him.  The man was brilliant in the business of publishing! SO let me give you some background.

Bob Anderson started Runners World magazine then sold it at a peak time for running in the USA.  That is where he got the money to start the business of swim wear apparel with the idea that he would shoot the bikini clad models himself and create a catalog with a magazine look to it.  He would then put an appealing picture of an attractive model on the cover, with a story of shooting in some exotic location, and staple in a catalog of Ujena swim wear in the center of it. Men bought it to look at April Wayne, and the women bought it to see the cool styles that were available for sale.  Now tell me how much better can it get than to get people to buy a catalog selling your product as well as selling the product itself.  Top that off with customers WANTING to be in the catalog or involved with shooting the pictures for it. 

I was there when Bob had his first Miss Ujena Swim wear model contests in the Silicon Valley of California.  I shot pictures along side many other wanna be's at the time.  Then I went to work in the photo lab that printed all the pictures used for the new contest Bob had dreamed up. Even back then, he had wanna be models and photographers sending him their hard earned money to compete in a contest to find the best.  I photographed Miss Peru at the time, and I refused to pay to put her pictures in the magazine or in the contest. She was already a popular commercial print in South America, I felt it would be beneath her or myself to do such a thing.

Now I have looked at your work and you certainly are a good photographer who has a knack for the goth or alternative look. But if you want to shoot models in swim suits, then shoot models in swim suits! You want to get noticed, then work on a marleting plan, spend your money on implimenting that plan and stick with it. Going on what really is much more of a vacation than a marketing opportunity is not the best way to "get noticed" in my opinion.

It's been many years since I've talked with Bob Anderson, the creator of Ujena swim wear and publications, BUT I would give you this advise ... "create AND publish your work for yourself!"  OR in other words ... "make your own gig!" I'm sure Bob would agree!  It's exactly what he did, and it is what has inspired me to start my own publications. 

So I don't mean to discourage you. It's sort of like when models tell me that they paid to go through a modeling school ... if you do spend the money ... make the best of it! But it is not necessary to do.  There are other ways of getting an education.  Good luck to you!

Aug 04 05 04:11 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by MarkMarek: 

Are you here to promote the event or something? Otherwise you seem to be living on fantasy island.

Aug 04 05 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

A couple more things ... I don't know how the rules are now, but back when I was printing up photos of models from slides submitted for the contest, Bob Anderson tagged his legal copyright on those images. That is why I did not want to hand over my own slides. Now I suppose you can submit digital images, but I bet he still takes the copyrights from you!

Second ... when I am asked if the contests are rigged, I have two words ... "No comment!"  So think about it! 

Aug 04 05 04:34 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

when i was first contacted by ujena, i sent them my commercial rates..

Aug 04 05 08:04 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

growwl

i was ripped of worst (none of us ever got our pics) by this guy who won their dumb thing and persuaded us he was wonderful partly due to their award!

Aug 04 05 08:08 am Link

Photographer

fotorat

London, England, United Kingdom

Good Luck Mate!

Aug 04 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Donald Byrd

Freeport, Florida, US

I was suckered into the Ujena thing in the mid 90s. Spent my $900+ dollars to become a " Liscensed" Photographer. They did publish a few girls that I shot, but they also "Lost" many of the slides of the other models they said they would publish. These models bought their suits/kits with the expectation of gaining tearsheets and were sorely disappointed.  I even invested $5,000 in the Ujena swimline for retail im my studio, some of the suits were mix-matched.
They did make some really nice looking swimwear, and the swimwear did photograph well, that is the only positive thing I can say about the company.

Aug 04 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

isn't this what each of us strives for?

You can either spend your life dreaming about being a top model or photographer

Top models and photographers get paid, not the other way around.

Quite honestly, none of the major magazines are using OMP or here to find their photographers...sorry to inform you of that.

Becoming a top model or photographer requires a lot more hard work and exposure in the PROPER channels...so, while you were close, here's the reality of it:

You can either spend your life dreaming about being a top model or photographer or you can spend your money for a chance to FEEL like one.

Andy

Aug 04 05 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Philip Barker

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

What is it now - 60 photographers and 80 models going to Cabo? Not to mention all the other guests and so on...
That's a clusterfuck.

Aug 04 05 09:29 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by MarkMarek: 

Are you here to promote the event or something? Otherwise you seem to be living on fantasy island.

OMG LYKE HOW KEWD U KAL HED DAT? LYKE Y DEW U REBEL AGANST PHOTOGS?
LYKE SERRIOUSLY LAWLZZZ!@@!#!@#

Aug 04 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Have anyone noticed that the original question was if anyone is going to Ujena Bikini Jam and not what you think about it?

Aug 04 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by MarkMarek: 
Have anyone noticed that the original question was if anyone is going to Ujena Bikini Jam and not what you think about it?

OK ... I bumped it up for ya ...

Sorry there is such little positive feedback.

But look at it this way ... you just might be the only one going.  wink

Aug 04 05 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by MarkMarek: 

Don't ask if you don't want truthful answers.

Nothing that has been posted as a reply to your question in reference to Ujena is factually incorrect.

Aug 04 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I got an email this morning. They are still looking for people.

Aug 04 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

CORRECTION:  " ... people with money!"

LOL

Aug 04 05 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by prb: 
What is it now - 60 photographers and 80 models going to Cabo? Not to mention all the other guests and so on...
That's a clusterfuck.

Lol. Philip, I was going to attend just to get the "competition" experience of that size. I even had an MUA and assistant lined and amped up to accompany me. Bob called me one morning on my way to work to encourage me. I have to admit, the man was getting me pumped up. He appears to be a cool guy and he explained the breakdown of the fee. It's mostly for the hotel accomodations and arrangements in Cabo.

But then, my wife started tripping about needing new clothes, clothes for the kids this coming school year, her car acts weird past 65 mph. ...I got the hint.

Aug 04 05 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

CORRECTION:  " ... people with money!"

LOL

I stand corrected!

Aug 04 05 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I see this really simply:

I put a profile on their site, for free. It's gotten me two local models who said, "I saw you on there, let's shoot swimwear."

Bob mailed me personally. Oh, joy. Me and everyone else. The man is smart, no doubt about it. But what he did do is offer me a wholesale account, so I can get their stuff at 50% off. What did I do? I emailed all the models I work with and told them, "Hey, I can get Ujena swimwear at 50% off, and I'll eat the tax on my reseller ID. You want? No problem, I'll order it for you and pass the 50% savings to you if you arrange a shoot with me when the stuff gets here."

Will they ever use any of my stuff? Probably not. Would I sign over the copyright to them if they wanted to? Yes. Once. Just to get the shot in there - it's worth it to me to get one shot in there so I have it in my resume.

In the meantime, I get their stuff cheap. Models seem to like it and want me to shoot them in it, so who am I to argue?

I win.

Aug 04 05 04:04 pm Link