Forums > General Industry > Models.....How honest are you when listing your stats?

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

I am what I am,  my measurements are what they are...no need to lie, thats deception...
I figure if someone doesn't like my measurements or body type, then there's someone else out there that will....

Aug 04 05 01:29 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

In my experience, almost no models are honest about their stats. Even I can't figure out whether I'm 120 lbs or 115, 5'8" or 5'9" ...  but that's  a little less extreme I suppose then someone who loses a couple years on her birthday ;D Hugh has a model whom he shot over 10 years ago, who was 21 and she hasn't aged one day, she is still 21. That's two years younger than me! I was thirteen when he shot her, now she's two years younger than me, lol.

Aug 04 05 01:33 pm Link

Model

Morgan Lynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Honesty is always best.

Aug 04 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Posted by Star: 
In this age of digital cameras, if you book paying gigs with transportation and all, why not ask for the models to send an image of themselves holding the newspaper, it works in kidnappings?

as well as other images of course...

Star,

We have been asking a few to send in some extra snapshots. A few 4x6's from Walmart works real well, and for us no photoshopping is better.

There have been a few models that did not look like their images, because of the excessive retouching, or the photos being outdated.  We still shoot film, and go to press with out photoshopping any of the images.   Because of this the models have to have very good skin, and film exposure has to be dead on.

I have been trying to get the producer to switch to digital, but the publisher, Starwestinc, wants film.

After the calendar shoots, several of our swimsuit sponsors will often ask the models to do trade show work, and they are also picky about looks.   

Until two years ago all of the models were found on the beach, or in swimsuit contest's by our staff.

Aug 04 05 01:47 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by Jessika Rae: 

Posted by paleosam: 
Shame shame Jessika a tape measurer is a model's best friend

I know.  All I've got is ruler for school.  :-(

Take a piece of string or a belt or something flexible, you wrap it around your hips and waist, mark it, and measure it with the ruler.

I had to check mine again the other day and I found out that I haven't changed much in a few years. Maybe if I have a baby huh?

Aug 04 05 02:01 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by marksora: 
For sizes it matters so,  so greatly for clothing.

For age who cares.   Two of my favorite models are 52 and 55 I think.
( tonight I will change my avatar to one of them.)

I don't think this thread is about whether it is acceptable or not to be in your 50's

Aug 04 05 02:06 pm Link

Model

Rin

Whats there to lie about. If you do...your not any better. Sure everyone wants a young skinny model but not a stick. So dont make yourself out to be this tall, thing wispy thing It isnt attractive.
It's kinda scary on some of the model profiles on here theres girls that are like 5'10" and weigh only like 90 lbs...[according to their profile.]
I'm honest about my stats...parcially because I think I'm beautiful as a shorter person...plus its really funny to see peoples expressions when I tell them I'm only 4'11".  The problem is people feel they need to lie about their height, weight, etc. because Society sets out these standards that are impossible. Thus we set out to destroy ourselves with diets and plastic surgery. Modeling should be about capturing the true beauty of someone...not trying to get a shot in before the model falls over from starvation or her nose falls off.
Theres my two cents on faking stuff...
-Rin

Aug 04 05 02:11 pm Link

Model

Rin

Whats there to lie about. If you do...your not any better. Sure everyone wants a young skinny model but not a stick. So dont make yourself out to be this tall, thing wispy thing It isnt attractive.
It's kinda scary on some of the model profiles on here theres girls that are like 5'10" and weigh only like 90 lbs...[according to their profile.]
I'm honest about my stats...parcially because I think I'm beautiful as a shorter person...plus its really funny to see peoples expressions when I tell them I'm only 4'11".  The problem is people feel they need to lie about their height, weight, etc. because Society sets out these standards that are impossible. Thus we set out to destroy ourselves with diets and plastic surgery. Modeling should be about capturing the true beauty of someone...not trying to get a shot in before the model falls over from starvation or her nose falls off.
Theres my two cents on faking stuff...
-Rin

Aug 04 05 02:11 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Very well-said...if I could make my chest bigger by just saying I had a 36 inch bust, well believe me I would do it! I actually look a lot better during my menstrual cycle, because my breasts get bigger. Otherwise, I do not see a lot of fluctuation.

"Modeling should be about capturing the true beauty of someone...not trying to get a shot in before the model falls over from starvation or her nose falls off."

LMAO that's priceless. I abhor the starved-model look. There is nothing impossible about someone's body type. We are what we are. Girls here say no one would believe they're that heavy if they were honest about it. That's just silly.

Nevertheless, measurements do say a lot about your figure. Saw a girl in a horror flick last night that didn't have any curves. My friend says, "that's sick." This girl is just muscular as hell, very thin, beautiful, and has no hips and no waist. Well, I am sure some men find her very attractive. I thought she was beautiful, albeit not fitting the stereotype. I had a girlfriend growing up who always stressed about her weight, but always had an hourglass figure. Guys go bonkers over that shit ;D

So yeah, be honest and then you will see that there is nothing wrong with being over 27, or shorter than 5'7", or heavier than 130. That's bullshit. Get over it.

Aug 04 05 02:41 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I am always honest.  I have nothing to hide. 

McKenzie

Aug 05 05 03:40 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

My weight goes up and down between 95 and 100 so I just keep it at 100 since it looks nicer on paper (or on the web to be exact).

I look taller than I am since I have very long limbs, but I don't lie about my height.

Aug 05 05 03:51 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Posted by Marvin Dockery: 
Age range will work most of the times, but models often see themselves as looking younger than they do.   

I am 31, I am very honest about my measurements because there's nothing more unprofessional than lying about things that matter in this business. So, WYSIWYG on my profile. I also do what Nerlande does: My weight goes from 110-115, so I keep it at 115. I am also upfront about my stretchmarks for jobs that may require me to show my tummy. It's honest and doesn't waste anyone's time.

Aug 05 05 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Jessika Rae: 

Posted by paleosam: 
Shame shame Jessika a tape measurer is a model's best friend

I know.  All I've got is ruler for school.  :-(

So wrap a string around your waist and measure the string. smile

M

Aug 05 05 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Lapis:  ...as to my age, I am actually 58, but figure that no one would believe that.

I would. Normally you just can't get that cynical in less than fifty years or so.

*ducking and running real fast*

M

Aug 05 05 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Tell the truth.

A model came to me who had lied about her age for portfolio shots. Her skin told the truth. I was not happy and felt used. She was 10 years older than her stat said she was.

A friend was going to Milan for Elite. She was going to be looked at for serious magazine work. She came to me to have Polaroids done of her in a black bikini - front, side and rear. They wanted verifiable, unretouched meat shots to see her before they paid to fly her to Italy.

In the real world of modeling where big money is being spent, lying can get you on a bad list. Here, on the web, it just gets people pissed off at you.  It isn't worth it.

Tell the truth.

Aug 05 05 05:04 pm Link

Model

Gio De Marco

San Jose, California, US

100% HONEST! What's the point of lying, once you meet the people you're going to work with in person they'll realize that you were lying and you may kill chances of them working with you in the future!

BE HONEST!

Aug 05 05 05:39 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I don't see much point in lying about my age because Asians like myself don't seem to age too fast in appearance. 

Photographers and MUAs have told me I look 16 without makeup! Now, being 24, I'm not really sure if that's always a good thing, but it works for me as far as modeling goes : P

Aug 05 05 06:27 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

The only thing incorrect on mine is the age.  I'd rather have people decide what I am capable of by looking at what I do/have done, not what number is on my profile.

Aug 05 05 07:21 pm Link

Model

JPridemonster

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm always honest about mine. Sometimes I wish I wasn't. I can't control my weight, and would like to add a few inches.

Aug 06 05 02:46 am Link

Model

Lucy Trigger

Ottawa, Illinois, US

I honestly do not know why someone would lie about their stats. Would it not be worse to get to a shoot and have them find out you lied, then to just be honest in the first place?

Aug 07 05 01:24 am Link

Model

Luce

Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

to be honest there is no point in lying about ur stats as the photographer is obviously gonna find out when u turn up at the shoot and isnt going to be happy!!!!Word will get around its a close knit community photography and modelling and you will just get yourself a bad name!
Its especially silly if you are going to a shoot where they are providing wardrobe! You aint goin to be fitting into anything!!!

Aug 07 05 12:17 pm Link

Model

Kataxenna

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm always honest as I would hate to turn up at a shoot with a completely different body size to what I had stated.
In this industry it's completely pointless to lie about these things as it makes you look bad

Aug 07 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Actually I'm 4"11 and 168 pounds, but Photoshop is great.

Aug 07 05 01:24 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

you cant lie because it will be apparent when the photographer sees you. just pointless.tell the truth and noone can call you a liar wink

Aug 07 05 02:14 pm Link