Forums > General Industry > Working with inexperienced photographers

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

When I was first starting out shooting models, a very professional model gave me a break and did a weekend-long TFP with me. My work sucked at the time, but she saw something about my approach, attitude, or work that appealed to her and agreed to work with me. It was a great experience for me and she really helped me grow as a photographer. That model was Christy North, who seems to have retired from modeling.

I'm wondering what makes a model consider working with an inexperienced photographer? What do you look for in a beginner that makes you risk your time at the expense of potentially little payback?

Aug 04 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I had a similar experience.  I had only shot with 3 maybe 4 girls before I finally got to shoot with Tia Kai.  I did a few favors for her so in return she did a TFP with me.  I don't think she liked any of those photos.  And it was my first time in a studio (I still only used my SB-800 because I had no idea how to make a strobe work).  But after that, she STILL wanted to work with me again and we have since shot several times. Thankfully, I've gotten better smile

Aug 04 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

BobinAtlanta

Smyrna, Delaware, US

One of my 1st shoots I did, I got one of my best pics ( on my post, SUNSET IN ATLANTA ) and I had no idea what I was doing, but I had a vision & a 30 year old Olympus 35mm that I still use today. I don't think its so important today to know speeds of film, f-stops, meters, etc., with digital cameras & the tech of cameras. I'm still no pro ( don't get paid ), but capturing a non-repeatable moment in time is its BEST reward. The models in my shoots for the most part are inexperienced, and I prefer that to a demanding diva.

Aug 04 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoFYI

Brooklyn, New York, US

I wish I could have had someone to thank for smile

Any volunteers?

Aug 04 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I was really lucky when I started out [and was terrible].  I attended a college with a big performing arts program, and found lots of people willing to pose for me in exchange for a half decent headshot or a few prints for their SO.  Realizing I was a student just like them and a beginner, most of them were really patient with me as I got better...at least I think I got better.

Aug 04 05 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
... most of them were really patient with me as I got better...at least I think I got better.

You did. Melvin, you're on the bleeding edge of erotic photography!

Aug 04 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

AM Photo

Bear, Delaware, US

I love working with photogs that don't have alot of experience.  I think it gives them an edge and many times they have alot of creativity pent up inside them, and I have gotten great results each time I've done it.  And I like to think also, that I can help bring out the best in each photo from my own experience as a model.  I'm very patient with everyone, and not a demanding diva by any means!  Everyone has to start somewhere!

:-)

Aug 04 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

Posted by Dark Matter Zone: 
That model was Christy North, who seems to have retired from modeling.

I videotaped that shoot, and I still have about 10 hours of video. I used to play parts of the video to beginning models for pointers about how to model. Looking back at that shoot, I really wish I had a talent like Christy North to work with now. She was incredible. Christy, where are you !!!

Aug 04 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Turner

Manassas, Virginia, US

I had an experience like yours.  I met a former professional model who was dancing at, of all places, a Renaissance Festival.  I photographed her while she was dancing, and gave her the photographs later.  She agreed to sit for me after that.  I learned a lot from her, and professional photographers looked at the pictures of her and said things like "this shows me what kind of work you're capable of, with a really experienced model".  That was back in 1990.  It seems so long ago now. 

Aug 04 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

eyetoeye-Images

Memphis, Alabama, US

Mark.....Frankly my attitude about these (MM and OMP) communitys they should be to network and help each other grow much like Christy North did for you. Unfourtunaly what tends to happen instead is MR EGO  seems to show up and place a barrier in the way of accomplishing that.

Call me a Karma Freak but I believe what you give out is returned to you in some way or another.

Aug 04 05 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Posted by eyetoeye-Images: 

Mark.....Frankly my attitude about these (MM and OMP) communitys they should be to network and help each other grow much like Christy North did for you. Unfourtunaly what tends to happen instead is MR EGO  seems to show up and place a barrier in the way of accomplishing that.

Call me a Karma Freak but I believe what you give out is returned to you in some way or another.

What a perfect segway Randy,
I am the host of a photographer and model meet and greet in Western Washington and this weekend will be the third meeting, so far we have 41 people that have rsvp’d.
The main idea behind these meetings is to bring as much local talent together in a neutral place so they trade comp cards, share ideas, meet face to face with others that they have been emailing to and to use one of two small studio sets to do some test shooting of some of the models that attend. Contact me off list if anyone is interested in knowing more about the meet and greet or my photography and model exchange on yahoo. Network!!!

As for me, this month will be my first year as a photographer and in that time, I’ve had the pleasure of working with some very nice people and photographing some very understanding friends.
I have not worked with any professional models yet, but who knows. All the images in any of my profiles are of friends and girl next-door types.
At times I feel like an overzealous guy with camera but my approach has been patience is a virtue.

I know I’m not a great photographer and with each photo session I do, I learn a little bit.

So to all the men and women I talked in to posing in front of my camera, Thank you!!!
some of men women that I’ve worked with are listed on my MM profile.

See you Saturday Randy.

Craig

Aug 04 05 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Can't agree with Randall more.  I'm still new and am always asking questions of the more experienced photographers on here or the ones that I have met and keep in contact with.

Like Amanda said....everyone has to start somewhere.  All those Ego Maniacs out there that think "their shots don't stink" were in the same boat at one point in their careers.  Asking questions and doing trial and error while shooting.

The Crazy Army Guy

Aug 04 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

It is nice when models are understanding to the novice photographers...

Aug 04 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

That's exactly how I've always seen it too. Man, if I had the Internet, MM and OMP back in the day, things would be different. Maybe, better? The otherside of me wonders though, if the school of hard knocks with Mr. Ego as the brash Professor taught me better. Hard to say. Could be, I'm a child born from both Fathers. If so, then I thank Mr. Ego for being the antagonist to my protagonist. Yin and Yang. Gotta have both.

And a big high 5 to all the models, pro and amateur who helped a beginner along the way. You rock in my book.

Aug 04 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Working with inexperienced photographers

Inexperienced at what?

I shot commercial product shots, booked models from Ford, art directed several photo sessions, and recommended commercial photographers to clients before I ever worked with a model.

I knew how to take a photo. I knew how the commercial print biz works to some extent. I just hadn't shot a human model.

I was lucky that the first few models I worked with were very easy to work with, and they made me look good enough to keep at it. I didn't have much to show in my port at the time (even less than now), but working with them gave me the confidence to know I could make it as a photographer at some level.

Aug 04 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Working with inexperienced photographers

Inexperienced at what?

I'm guessing that he means photographers who are inexperienced working with a female and male model as opposed to shooting regular people and product like food, car parts, whatever. We all know there's a difference, but one thing a model brings to the beginner's shoot is an overwhelming pressure to shoot as good as possible. That's how I felt when I photographed my first non-relative female model. With the bowl of fruit as my model, I couldn't stop eating the cherries and I couldn't care less what it thought wink

Aug 04 05 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I agree with that Joe. There is a lot more pressure starting out when you are shooting a model compared to an aerosol can.

There is a lot of pressure to shoot a product right, because you have a client that is paying top dollar for the work. Granted, the aerosol can doesn't laugh at you when you trip over a light stand like a model might.

On the other hand, nothing compares to the joy on someone's face when they see themselves in a photo they are happy with. When you can make someone look more beautiful than they do in real life, there is a real feeling of accomplishment I think.

After a while the pressure turns into anticipation to see the results.

Obviously this is a modeling site, but a lot of photographers who get into photography to shoot pretty women don't realize there are other forms of photography it seems. This is a general statement and not directed at anyone in particuar.

Aug 04 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I shot a load of crap before I shot anything good...and I have all those patiend people to thank for helping me thru the learning process.  Don't know that there's any other way to do it.

Aug 04 05 08:46 pm Link