Forums > General Industry > The "New" look of modeling.

Aug 04 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

At least they are still using professional photographers...

Aug 04 05 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

This isn't about being PC, as the article states; it's about knowing one's target demographic.

Aug 04 05 10:49 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

While everyone is off reading the article, all I can say is I really didn't like this one quote,
"Finally, if I can get sappy for a moment, it is sort of nice to see the unperfect have their day in the sun."

UNperfect?
That's really sad....

Peggy

Aug 04 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

In the last 6 months, 3 out of 4 of my stock/editorial model shoots have been with burly sized models.

I call it the marketing phase of early 2000.

Just like wafe in the late 80’s, plus in the early 90’s and muscular in the mid 90’s.

It will always revert to the preconceived perfect size woman.

Aug 04 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by Jessica L: 
While everyone is off reading the article, all I can say is I really didn't like this one quote,
"Finally, if I can get sappy for a moment, it is sort of nice to see the unperfect have their day in the sun."

UNperfect?
That's really sad....

Peggy

!

Aug 04 05 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
This isn't about being PC, as the article states; it's about knowing one's target demographic.

Yes. That was a bunch of BS...

Aug 04 05 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

this is how a soap manufacturer wants to target a demographic....they'll be "new look" to modeling when the fashion designers start going that route...

Aug 04 05 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Slate.com
Overall Grade: D. Sadly, this is not a winning play for the long haul. If Dove keeps running ads like this, women will get bored with the feel-good, politically correct message. Eventually (though perhaps only subconsciously), they'll come to think of Dove as the brand for fat girls. Talk about "real beauty" all you want—once you're the brand for fat girls, you're toast.

The ending statement isn't all that hopeful though is it?

Aug 04 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

There has been a "new look" in modeling slowly penetrating advertisements for quite some time. If you notice, many restaurant commercials are using "average" people. Best Buy has been using average models for a while as well.

Aug 04 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

How is August Max doing this quarter?

Aug 04 05 11:05 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Star: 

Slate.com
Overall Grade: D. Sadly, this is not a winning play for the long haul. If Dove keeps running ads like this, women will get bored with the feel-good, politically correct message. Eventually (though perhaps only subconsciously), they'll come to think of Dove as the brand for fat girls. Talk about "real beauty" all you want—once you're the brand for fat girls, you're toast.

The ending statement isn't all that hopeful though is it?

I just don't think this writer is very knowledgeable of Dove at all.
Dove has been using older models for years in their soap commercials on TV...remember "Guess my age?" I don't think it made them the brand for old ladies.

Peggy

Aug 04 05 11:11 pm Link

Model

e v e

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

i think dove already had their target market under their thumb. unless they've been losing out to caress or something. i don't see how their new ad campaign has boosted any sales. 

Aug 04 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dove has always been one of the companies on the leading edge (one of the first to use NativeMind's technology). I'm not surprised they are doing this in their advertising. In my mind, it's natural to show "real people" using their product. After all, that is what their product is for right? Tall and waify fashion models aren't the only ones using Dove.

I'd say this is a big win (or a step in the realistic direction?) for everyone involved in modeling.

For professional commercial photographers, it shouldn't matter if the model looks like Alfalfa, Olive Oil, or Barbi Benton.

The times are changing. Twenty years ago, no one would've ever dreamed Snoop Doggy would be in an AOL T.V. commercial. Their old regime probably bust a ventricle with that one. So, you gotta change with the times too.

Who is to say they won't start being liberal with their choice of photographers either?

Aug 04 05 11:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I have noticed in the past year a lot of my large big money clients are using real people in ads instead of models.  The agencies are feeling the pinch. 

There is a stylist in town doing "real people casting" I think she is getting more business then the agencies right now.  I am not sure why the new trend in commercial advertising but I'm glad to see it.  I have had a few clients cast from agencies actors for modeling jobs because they looked "real" 

I hope that the trend keeps moving farther to reality.  I do not see it at all in the fashion market....the fashion market seems to be headed further in the direction of taller and thinner.

Aug 04 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mary:  ....the fashion market seems to be headed further in the direction of taller and thinner.

I disagree somewhat with that statement, with the "thinner" part that is.

If you follow the castings for fashionweek, if you look at the past two seasons... some of the top models are getting curvy, the breasts are getting larger and so do their hips... I couldn't believe what I was seeing, quite often.

So, the thinner and thinner trend in high fashion is not THAT en vogue anymore. I see on the runway quite some volupteous booties (on white girls!) walking away... you'd be surprised.

I am involved for fashionweek casting for different designers and there too... tall, but feminine curves are not anymore a downer.

Aug 04 05 11:48 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Jeanetta

New York, New York, US

With that being said, I at least have some hope in another field of modeling.

Aug 05 05 02:17 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Does that mean natural breasts and curves are making a comeback?

Would be NICE to go back to 1955......remember that Marilyn, Mamie and Jayne were`nt lacking in the curve department

Aug 05 05 02:40 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Posted by Mary: 
I have noticed in the past year a lot of my large big money clients are using real people in ads instead of models.  The agencies are feeling the pinch. 

There is a stylist in town doing "real people casting" I think she is getting more business then the agencies right now.  I am not sure why the new trend in commercial advertising but I'm glad to see it.  I have had a few clients cast from agencies actors for modeling jobs because they looked "real" 

I hope that the trend keeps moving farther to reality.  I do not see it at all in the fashion market....the fashion market seems to be headed further in the direction of taller and thinner.

yup - true...and many poeple are laughing at the FASHION  thing now rather than aspiiring... we wised up!

Aug 05 05 03:34 am Link

Model

e v e

the definition of beauty is so broad these days...almost anything goes.

Aug 05 05 03:42 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
How is August Max doing this quarter?

Aren't they one of many mall stores owned by Retail Brand Alliance? I do not know if they provide anyone with numbers since it's not a publicly traded company. I could be wrong...too lazy to search right now..

Aug 05 05 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I adore those ads...which is saying a lot, as I despise most advertising.

Aug 05 05 06:31 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 
interesting article about the 'new' look in modelling

Not really a new look at all. Advertisers have been seeking out "ordinary" looking people (M and F) for commercial and editorial work for a long time. Years.

It is the land based fashion agencies that are stuck in the fashion style model rut - 5'8">5'11" size 8 and so skinny that the model doesn't cast a shadow if they are standing sideways.

The good news is that ordinary non-fashionista (too short, too curvy and too heavy for fashion work) models can find work. The bad news is that these advertisers, and their ad agency, tend to send scouts out and do street casting which means, in turn, that they don't make an effort to search out models in places like OMP and MM... OR from agencies.

It boils down to being in the right place at the right time to get seen and get hired. You can't just call them up or send them your comp card. If the ad agency doesn't have a contract to fill for an advertiser I am not even sure, and from experience I am highly doubtful, any of them bother to keep a "talent" resource file. For a lot of that work it is more likely that they will hire their secretary; or someone working down on the loading dock; or maybe someone they come across in the grocery store or on a construction site, then it is they would call an agency.

For the average model here on MM or the other web resources that would be equivalent to playing the lottery. You are going to loose many, many more times than you will win... and of course there are people playing the lottery that NEVER win a thing.

Nope, not a new trend at all. But also no sure-fire way, maybe no way at all, into those jobs either.

See this thread:Model found in Grand central restroom

Studio36

Aug 05 05 06:53 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Lol is it just me who find the quote "real women" rather amuzing, as if all these models on runway are not real, i.e. fembots, or transvestites? Or every single one of them are completely plastered in cosmetic surgery? 

Sorry, a pointless post, I know what they really meant by "real women" but just was getting distracted and thought it was funny.

PS: I'm a real woman! LOL

Aug 05 05 07:00 am Link

Photographer

ip studio

New York, New York, US

I call it the "Dove, Blubber never looked so good" campaign.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and most people despise themselves.
Now liberals will say that the media should enlighten and make people feel good about themselves.
I don't know what the conservs will say, something about god probably.
An anarchist like me, if it sells, use it, but just like the article says, what will this do for the dove brand in the long run? Most women don't want to percieve themselves as fat, even if they are overweight.
So are they going to recognize themselves in those ads over a period of time?
As far as photography,  many a photographer has made a career on nude pics of his "normal" family, among other public display of private lives.
We're in the intimacy selling business.

So if it works, why not? 
Though I for one am very much inth othe 90's muscle ideal .

Aug 05 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

This comes and goes like a cycle.

In advertising using "real people" happens all the time, and I read about fashion models getting boobier a decade ago.

Aug 05 05 10:29 am Link

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I really hope that this is a larger movement on the part of society to loosen the restrictions on 'beauty' that has been so rigid in the past. Almost every woman is beautiful and sexy in some way - and it's so frustrating to see women be so self-concious about their bodies/looks. Why can't tall/short women be beautiful at the same time, or thin/voluptuous? And don't even get me started on ethnicity...

I'd love to see the day when the next supermodel is a Pygmy woman with filed teeth - that would seriously rock.

Aug 05 05 10:50 am Link

Model

Malice N Wonderland

New York, New York, US

Posted by C R Photography: 

It will always revert to the preconceived perfect size woman.

How far are we reverting back to, because Marilyn Monroe was a size 14.  At one time she was concidered perfection.  Of course if she were around today she would be crucified for her size and being hired to do Jenny Craig commercials.  The problem with being overweight is it can cause health problems.  However, this pressure that people (especially women) are feeling to lose weight can cause plenty of health problems of their own.  I think it's fabulous that we are starting to see a variety of body shapes being featured in the media.  It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Aug 05 05 11:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Mary:  ....the fashion market seems to be headed further in the direction of taller and thinner.

I disagree somewhat with that statement, with the "thinner" part that is.

If you follow the castings for fashionweek, if you look at the past two seasons... some of the top models are getting curvy, the breasts are getting larger and so do their hips... I couldn't believe what I was seeing, quite often.

So, the thinner and thinner trend in high fashion is not THAT en vogue anymore. I see on the runway quite some volupteous booties (on white girls!) walking away... you'd be surprised.

I am involved for fashionweek casting for different designers and there too... tall, but feminine curves are not anymore a downer.

I havent seen the thicker runway models yet.  They havent hit any of my fashion magazines.  I'll keep a look out though.

Just a note, in commercial work even though the trend is to go away from real model looking people, the heights they are choosing are still tall and the models are still thin by everyday standards.   Feel free to argue with me on this one but I do this almost every day, this is the industry I know like the back of my hand and if the trend goes shorter I will be the first to know...I style these shoots and purchase the clothing.

The dove ad is a bit unusual...this campaign was launched for one to get people talking. It worked.  I dont see this large of woman being cast in many future print ads but we will have to see.

Marilyn Monroe by the way was a 14 but sizes are different now.  The  14 of those days is the 8 of today.

Aug 05 05 11:17 am Link