Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Tampa M&G Chit Chat 6

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Well on another note. My daughter got engaged so fun begins with gown shopping venue shopping and Photographer shopping!!!  I started just now pricing wedding photogs out of Orlando. Wowzer. We need to do weddings. Lol (j/k). Never ever would we do this.

Mar 26 13 09:36 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

EdwinR Photography wrote:
Well on another note. My daughter got engaged so fun begins with gown shopping venue shopping and Photographer shopping!!!  I started just now pricing wedding photogs out of Orlando. Wowzer. We need to do weddings. Lol (j/k). Never ever would we do this.

Yeah, "those" Orlando photographers iz all nutz, ain't they  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Mar 26 13 09:43 am Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

yay CONGRATS!

Mar 26 13 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

A little sticker shock???  Well, keep in mind, and I'm probably on the low end of gear and I have $25K + with me when I shoot one.. Not to mention all the backend stuff such as sufficient  computer systems, software, insurance, maintenance on gear, plus all the hours that people DON'T consider in that cost since photographer don't bill out for every hour but typically build in, such as emails/phone calls/in person consultations and of course post work hours which depending on what's being asked for for final product, can be up to 3-4 times what the gig hours are.. And potentially a second shooter to pay.. 

But on the bright side, the hourly rate is typically FAAAAR less that what a doctor makes per hour based on office visit rates.. big_smile   Oh, and be happy she's not getting married in LA or NY... OUCH!!! 

But yea, it's not a specialty for the faint of heart considering that of all the genre's, it's the most sued...

Mar 26 13 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

OwenImages

Pinellas Park, Florida, US

I shot one wedding, ONE!!!  It was because I was begged to by a friend.  His only point of reference for my photography skill was the fact that he had seen my nature photos and bikini photos!  :FACEPALM:

It was nerve racking and I dragged some guy named Wolfie along as an adviser.  Don't let the name fool you, he seemed to know what he was doing.  wink It was a beach wedding and it actually turned out pretty good I think. 

I can't imagine doing weddings for a living.  Ugh!  I don't have an interest in dealing with aunts, great grandmas, mothers, fathers, inlaws, exlaws etc....for months prior and months after.

Mar 26 13 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

OwenImages wrote:
I shot one wedding, ONE!!!  It was because I was begged to by a friend.  His only point of reference for my photography skill was the fact that he had seen my nature photos and bikini photos!  :FACEPALM:

It was nerve racking and I dragged some guy named Wolfie along as an adviser.  Don't let the name fool you, he seemed to know what he was doing.  wink It was a beach wedding and it actually turned out pretty good I think. 

I can't imagine doing weddings for a living.  Ugh!  I don't have an interest in dealing with aunts, great grandmas, mothers, fathers, inlaws, exlaws etc....for months prior and months after.

The main reason I kept it from my family I do photography....well,until I joined FB
and family started adding me,that cat is out of the bag

Mar 26 13 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

OwenImages wrote:
I shot one wedding, ONE!!!

I shot 700!

Mar 26 13 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

OwenImages wrote:

I remember that and what a bitch of location to find!!!  LOL!!  At least you survived; most don't...  smile

Mar 26 13 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

OwenImages wrote:
I shot one wedding, ONE!!!

joeyk wrote:
I shot 700!

And with that, it explains SOOOOOOOOO much about you...  lol

Mar 26 13 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Roberts

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

joeyk wrote:
I shot 700!

I think this may say something about you

Not sure what...

Just .... Something...

When the hell are you coming home by the way!

Mar 26 13 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Tropical Photography wrote:
...plus all the hours that people DON'T consider in that cost since photographer don't bill out for every hour but typically build in, such as emails/phone calls/in person consultations and of course post work hours which depending on what's being asked for for final product, can be up to 3-4 times what the gig hours are.

We always figured a 5 hour wedding had 40 hours ( we actually delivered albums ) of "unseen" work...

Oh, and be happy she's not getting married in LA or NY... OUCH!!!

I hired a Boston wedding photographer to speak to one of my conferences, in the '90's she was getting $15,000 up front, she laid out the album to suit her "vision", B&G had NO input, after all, she was "The Artiste".

Mar 26 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

All I can say is before I asked a friend absolutely NO idea what the rates were... holy ta molly...but now that I know I may have to ask my daughter to pitch in.. .. Luckily she is having a rather small wedding and will be outside so natural light and will be early evening...just have to find the right venue and my daughter is on that.. looking for a park or something like that... any ideas will be accepted so i can pass it along...

Ugh.. now tonight i sat down to prepare our taxes.. got all the receipts and separated them in the proper order (my accountant charges if he does it, thus it is me doing it) start the old fashioned adding machine.. start adding.  get to a whole stack of receipts.... crap... it is the Spanish version receipts.. I have to convert about 30 receipts in colons to american dollars.. just one more headache for the evening..

On a good note however... i mailed a package  to my daughter in Orlando 2 weeks ago.. insured it as it was her birthday gift.. one that my 90 yr old mom gave me for Elise ... It was a 115 yr old diamond and aqua marine earrings and necklace.. owned by my great great grandfather who owned a jewelry store.. .. long story short.. USPS LOST the package... the tracking number apparently "got ripped off the package" .. im like Holy Shit... how does THAT happen... I mailed it March 9 from here to get to Orlando.. the tracking number that i did have went to Ithica NY..  and now they say that tracing number was not right... i in the mean time lost the receipt for the insurance i got on it... well tonight i found the receipt.. ( while I might add, i was looking for Eds W2 form so we can get the taxes going) .. so found the insurance paper work... but still cant find Eds W 2... and Elise's package is still missing...

So... how is everyone else's day going...lol...

Mar 26 13 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

In Pinellas, this is the guy you want:

http://www.aaronlockwoodphotography.com/

I think $6500 will get you something nice...

Mar 26 13 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Roberts

Good

Mar 26 13 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Carl Roberts wrote:

Good

do you know how i really want to respond to that??  lol

Mar 26 13 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

How am I doing you ask?
I'm in seaford,Delaware

Nuff said sad

Mar 26 13 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

OwenImages

Leaving in a few hours to drive to the Florida Keys with the kiddos.  smile

Mar 26 13 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

OwenImages wrote:
Leaving in a few hours to drive to the Florida Keys with the kiddos.  smile

Probably the only place where it's not winter in the US

Mar 26 13 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
Probably the only place where it's not winter in the US

I heerd they're a skiin' down da face of da La Concha, right onta Duvall Street  .  .  .  then drinkin' "apres ski" drinks in da Green Parrot  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Mar 26 13 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

joeyk wrote:
In Pinellas, this is the guy you want:

http://www.aaronlockwoodphotography.com/

I think $6500 will get you something nice...

Some very, very nice work there....impressive portfolio.

Mar 26 13 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Sorry, not around much lately (hold the applause, please).

Been a really rough couple months; said goodbye to a couple friends, still no full-time employment, electric and plumbing issues on the homefront...capping things off, wife was in a car accident tonight (she's ok), taking out our lone functional vehicle (temporarily).

Still, I'm an eternal optimist, half-full kinda guy. Things will get better eventually, I'll make them get better. Looking forward to being able to grab a camera and have some fun, sometime soon. Save me a seat at the buffet, I'll be there eventually smile

Mar 26 13 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Roberts

Koryo Photography wrote:

Been a really rough couple months; said goodbye to a couple friends, still no full-time employment, electric and plumbing issues on the homefront...capping things off, wife was in a car accident tonight (she's ok), taking out our lone functional vehicle (temporarily).

Still, I'm an eternal optimist, half-full kinda guy. Things will get better eventually, I'll make them get better. Looking forward to being able to grab a camera and have some fun, sometime soon. Save me a seat at the buffet, I'll be there eventually smile

Holy crap man!

Sorry to hear about all this!

Hope things get better soon

Mar 27 13 05:00 am Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Koryo Photography wrote:
Still, I'm an eternal optimist, half-full kinda guy.

Not to rain on your parade, but always remember...

"The glass is half empty, and some SOB is trying to steal that from you!"

Mar 27 13 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

I wonder of Lou Malnati's is open on Easter?
as I''ll be in Chicago on Easter.....keep my diet clean through Sunday
then nail a large pizza all day(2 slices 4 times to keep the metabolism running,high)

Yep....do able

Mar 27 13 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

joeyk wrote:

Not to rain on your parade, but always remember...

"The glass is half empty, and some SOB is trying to steal that from you!"

Haha...I've found this to be very, very true. Luckily, I know where I can get  cheap refills smile

Mar 27 13 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

All I can say is before I asked a friend absolutely NO idea what the rates were... holy ta molly...but now that I know I may have to ask my daughter to pitch in.. .. Luckily she is having a rather small wedding and will be outside so natural light and will be early evening...just have to find the right venue and my daughter is on that.. looking for a park or something like that... any ideas will be accepted so i can pass it along...

Ugh.. now tonight i sat down to prepare our taxes.. got all the receipts and separated them in the proper order (my accountant charges if he does it, thus it is me doing it) start the old fashioned adding machine.. start adding.  get to a whole stack of receipts.... crap... it is the Spanish version receipts.. I have to convert about 30 receipts in colons to american dollars.. just one more headache for the evening..

On a good note however... i mailed a package  to my daughter in Orlando 2 weeks ago.. insured it as it was her birthday gift.. one that my 90 yr old mom gave me for Elise ... It was a 115 yr old diamond and aqua marine earrings and necklace.. owned by my great great grandfather who owned a jewelry store.. .. long story short.. USPS LOST the package... the tracking number apparently "got ripped off the package" .. im like Holy Shit... how does THAT happen... I mailed it March 9 from here to get to Orlando.. the tracking number that i did have went to Ithica NY..  and now they say that tracing number was not right... i in the mean time lost the receipt for the insurance i got on it... well tonight i found the receipt.. ( while I might add, i was looking for Eds W2 form so we can get the taxes going) .. so found the insurance paper work... but still cant find Eds W 2... and Elise's package is still missing...

Might check with Leu Gardens.. They do a lot of weddings..

Mar 27 13 03:13 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

Koryo Photography wrote:

yikes sorry to hear about all that sad

Mar 27 13 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Roberts

http://www.orlandohistoricinn.com/

I went to a wedding (in fact I performed the wedding) at the Courtyard at Lake Lucerne

Very nice place

Lots of great shoot locations

Nice little outdoors Gazebo

Very nice

Mar 27 13 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

Thought I stop by!

Mar 27 13 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Might check with Leu Gardens.. They do a lot of weddings..

Great I will shoot this over to Lessy.. I see her this weekend and the hunt for dates, venues , caterers, dresses, color schemes, invitations, oh boy... i forgot about all the little details...

geez i still have my electric blanket on my bed... crap!!

PS *waves * to Herblish...

Mar 28 13 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Carl Roberts

Going back to the DR tomorrow

Mofongo and Luchon for dinner!

Mar 28 13 04:45 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Carl Roberts wrote:

So, iz ya addicted to da food, da womens, or da location CR  .  .  .  or, "D", all of da above  .  .  .  wink  Enjoy yourself  .  .  .

SOS

Mar 28 13 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Carl Roberts

sospix wrote:
So, iz ya addicted to da food, da womens, or da location CR  .  .  .  or, "D", all of da above  .  .  .  wink  Enjoy yourself  .  .  .

SOS

I just really like riding in airplanes

Mar 28 13 08:48 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Carl Roberts wrote:

I just really like riding in airplanes

Yeah, them Pan Am flights ta exotic, far away places iz a hoot  .  .  .

https://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/192x/70/b1/c6/70b1c67debb7f1070c1c990c19f08183.jpg

.  .  .  the only problem iz ya gotta wear a suit whilst flyin'  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Mar 28 13 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

Carl Roberts wrote:

Safe travels!

Sad I missed OMG. I saw the weather and I was like eeeh I think I'll skip this one. Glad I did, Winter Garden was a huge  mess not to mention by Universal.

Mar 28 13 11:01 am Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Any one familiar with Orlanda know of Cypress Grove Estate ?? 

Back to DR for CR huh??  uh oh..take those magnums.. lol..

Mar 28 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

OwenImages

Been in the Keys with the kiddos.  smile

We have been having a blast!  We saw 25 Key Deer yesterday evening and 47 this evening.  Lots of pics (normal and iPhone5) and video clips (iPhone5).  We lots of cool stuff in just a couple of days.  On Marathon Key right now for a quick dinner stop...then driving home tonight.  Should be home by 3am.  I will go through the pics over the next week.  Yippppppeeeeee!  I hope I have a couple of good pics!  The kids had a freaking blast.  Let's just say they have ZERO fear of humans....they are endangered and therefore heavily protected.  They will walk right up to you.  So cute!  Okay, long drive time.....

Mar 28 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

OwenImages wrote:
The kids had a freaking blast.  Let's just say they have ZERO fear of humans....they are endangered and therefore heavily protected.  They will walk right up to you.  So cute!  Okay, long drive time.....

Read this and tell me it's just a little miscommunication...

Mar 28 13 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Koryo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Haha...

Mar 28 13 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Happy Good Friday all...hope your weekend is filled with family and fun..

Mar 29 13 03:05 am Link