Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pay your models!

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

I always get paid.

But, sometimes that payment is in images, not US dollars.

I'm fine with that.

Mar 01 11 09:24 am Link

Photographer

David Stith

Lexington, Kentucky, US

About model managers.. let's start with say, Ford Model Management. A good model manager makes sure their models work with the best photogs.. that could be TF..

However, if the photog is sub-prime, the model manager should make sure the model is paid. I am not aware of any model managers on MM but there were many on OMP, the rules still applies..

In any case, if someone is being paid for the pics from a shoot, both parties should benefit.

David

Mar 01 11 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Rick Fink wrote:
I am absolutely not a manager for anyone!

You say you try to get paid work for models but are running into photographers who won't pay.

Can you elaborate on how this does not imply that you are soliciting and negotiating on behalf of models?

Mar 01 11 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Rick Fink wrote:

What do you mean when you say you are trying to find models work?

Rick Fink wrote:
I try to get paid work for a lot of the models I work with but keep running into the fact that many experienced photogs want to do trades or get paid themselves!

Mar 01 11 09:26 am Link

Photographer

David Stith

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Hmm, are you saying that professional photographers shouldn't be paid for their work? I don't know about you, but I have bills to pay.

Mar 01 11 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Sometimes I do what I want . . . mostly I do what I have to.  I'll work anything out  . . .

Mar 01 11 09:33 am Link

Model

Aswald

Detroit, Michigan, US

Augustine York wrote:
I always get paid.

I'm fine with that.

+1!!

Mar 01 11 09:36 am Link

Photographer

David Stith

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Agreed!

Aswald wrote:

+1!!

Mar 01 11 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Augustine York wrote:
I always get paid.

I'm fine with that.

Some people seem to think TFP is free. As you pointed out, it is not.

Mar 01 11 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Rick Fink wrote:
I really think that photogs should generally pay models for shoots!

I try to get paid work for a lot of the models I work with but keep running into the fact that many experienced photogs want to do trades or get paid themselves!

My feeling is that the model and I co-create the images but since I ask her to sign a release form she should get paid.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I see talented models and photogs butting heads over should a nude shoot be paid or trade.

Then there's the implication that any photog worth his salt won't pay models and only the GWC's pay.

Even if it's a totally trade shoot I'll offer the model $25 for her signature on the release form.

I think YOU should continue to pay all of the models YOU work with.

Also, as others have pointed out, it sounds to me like you are trying to play SLUGGO errrr, model manager, and I do believe that is not allowed on MM, however, I could be wrong

Mar 01 11 09:50 am Link

Model

Artemis Bare

San Diego, California, US

Augustine York wrote:
I always get paid.

I'm fine with that.

Absolutely! +100

Mar 01 11 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Rick Fink wrote:
I try to get paid work for a lot of the models I work with

So you're a model "manager?"

Mar 01 11 09:57 am Link

Photographer

no name no more

Brooklyn, New York, US

If there was a protocol created, which entitles every model to be paid automatically, this site would be flooded with profiles of "models" whose port would consist of 2 - 3 cell phone pics, barely any profile description and "Paid Assignments Only" selection on each and every one of them.

Mar 01 11 10:04 am Link

Model

Artemis Bare

Caradoc wrote:

So you're a model "manager?"

He's probably just one of those nice guys that lets a model know who in the area is known to have paid castings. I don't know why he decided to put up this thread branding himself a well intentioned white knight but the above part makes sense to me

Mar 01 11 10:04 am Link

Photographer

K I S S

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom

Artemis Bare wrote:
He's probably just one of those nice guys that lets a model know who in the area is known to have paid castings. I don't know why he decided to put up this thread branding himself a well intentioned white knight but the above part makes sense to me

the fact that the thread is in the model forum seems like he wanted attention from the models, (with white knight replies) not the people he should be directing his post to, in the photography forum

Mar 01 11 10:06 am Link

Model

JonellG

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

Rick Fink wrote:

My feeling is that the model and I co-create the images but since I ask her to sign a release form she should get paid.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I see talented models and photogs butting heads over should a nude shoot be paid or trade.

Then there's the implication that any photog worth his salt won't pay models and only the GWC's pay.

Even if it's a totally trade shoot I'll offer the model $25 for her signature on the release form.

I agree especially if the photographer plans to profit from the picture at some point. It's your picture forever, I get no binifit from it later. KWIM?

Mar 01 11 10:07 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
What this really boils down to is just a 'white knight' post. I vote that this should be locked as soon as possible to avoid the trainwreck.

I'm waiting for the Nazi topic to come up.

Model

Artemis Bare

K I S S  wrote:

the fact that the thread is in the model forum seems like he wanted attention from the models, (with white knight replies) not the people he should be directing his post to, in the photography forum

No argument on that front. I'm just saying I doubt that phrase means he's a model manager. I am of course willing to be wrong *shrug*

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Rick Fink wrote:

Gee, what would models do wthout you? roll

Mar 01 11 10:11 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

OP:  It is cool that you willing to pay cash to models.  smile

Mar 01 11 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Closing account JP

Academician Vernadskiy - permanent station of the Ukraine, Sector claimed by Argentina/Chile/UK, Antarctica

Rick Fink wrote:

I would pay a model IF I had no intention of giving her any images from the shoot. If said model decides she wants images later on then she would have to buy them from me ...  Or we could just trade from the start...

Mar 01 11 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Rick Fink

Austin, Texas, US

A lot of you seem to think I'm secretly a manager.

Maybe I'm secretly a model who has bopped a photog on his head and stolen his identity in order to make outrageous claims!

And if anyone thinks this thread is a waste of time then quit wasting your time.

Mar 01 11 10:26 am Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

you see people, it's all your fault... if you all would've just paid op's models, this thread would never exist smile

Mar 01 11 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Artemis Bare wrote:

No argument on that front. I'm just saying I doubt that phrase means he's a model manager. I am of course willing to be wrong *shrug*

Normally I would agree with you, but not for the next sentence where he says he runs into photographers who won't pay. If he were merely pointing out those photographers who do pay, that next sentence would not be there. It is. QED.

Mar 01 11 10:28 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Rick Fink wrote:

And your point by telling us how you choose to do business is?

Other than the fact that you position yourself more as a model manager by "getting paid work for YOUR models..." I'm not sure why you think this should apply to every photographer/model relationship.

Then again, when you're looking for potential models, this would be a white knight-y kind of thread to direct them to.

And how is it a "totally trade shoot" if you're compensating the model in cash? That, by definition, is not a trade shoot. It's you paying a model. That's like saying you're shooting a print ad on trade...but they're paying me a few hundred dollars for my time.

Or do you mean the model is expecting a straight trade and out of the kindness of your heart you decide to give her $25 at the end of the shoot? That's a nice personal gesture but it sure isn't a solid business practice.

Mar 01 11 10:29 am Link

Retoucher

IdontKnowIForgot

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

if the model was professional and wasnt interested in my work for trade, then sure if I was looking to work with someone who i thought could really add to my portfolio, I'd pay, and if it were travel, Id pay that also.

if a model contacted me and I wasnt interested in her look, or didnt think she could do much for my portfolio, Then I would offer her my rates, and if it was traveling, she would have to pay also.

If I felt a model could add to my portfolio, and she felt I would add to hers, its trade, and if it comes to travel, we would both pay half.

sounds fair to me.

Mar 01 11 10:33 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Everyone chooses what they want to do not for the op to dictate the world according to him.

Maybe the op's pissed of that he has to pay for models whilst others don't.

Mar 01 11 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Rick Fink wrote:

Maybe I'm secretly a model who has bopped a photog on his head and stolen his identity in order to make outrageous claims!

And if anyone thinks this thread is a waste of time then quit wasting your time.

I think working for 25.00 is a waste of time.

Mar 01 11 10:37 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Rick Fink wrote:

The thread came up because a talented model I have worked with and paid each time was having trouble getting paid for a nude shoot!

Most photogs tell the models that they need to beef up their portfolios before they find paying work and then the paying work is not there!

If I contact a model and ask her to work with me I pay her.

Good for you.  You are, of course, free to continue that practice.

Mar 01 11 10:39 am Link

Retoucher

IdontKnowIForgot

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Death of Field wrote:

I think working for 25.00 is a waste of time.

big_smile

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Rick Fink wrote:

I think you misunderstand. Nothing secret about it.

You try to get paid work for models and clearly, from your own statement, interact with photographers who don't want to pay those models. How is negotiating on behalf of models not acting as a manager? You may not be hired to perform those services, per se, but you're admittedly performing them nonetheless.

If you're intention was to appeal to photographers benevolent side, why post this in the Model Forum? This thread should have been titled, "I'll be your daddy."

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Rick Fink wrote:

ForeverFotos wrote:
I'm just guessing, but have you set yourself up as a model manager? In that case, you're just looking for a little percentage, am I right? Please tell me I'm wrong, that would make me feel much better.

I really think you should be aware of the fact that "model managers" are not allowed to operate on this site.

I don't act as a "model Manager."  I do refer models to photographers I know of who pay, for whatever reason.  I also refer people who are seeking models to models I know of who have done a good job.  What I get out of it is a stronger relationship with a model or photographer, and sometimes the opportunity to work with a model who can afford to come to my area because of the paid shoots.

When I started, I paid a lot of fantastic models to help me build a portfolio.  Over the last couple years, I've mostly done trade, but I've been paid a little more by models than I've paid them  Sadly, so far not enough to cover other costs.  I would love to reach the point in photographic and marketing skill where my work generates a lot of revenue and I can pay pros to help me produce better and better gallery and publication work.

Mar 01 11 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Rick Fink wrote:

Duncan Hall wrote:
That's not an implication, that's fact. They can pay me if they want. wink

That's as off base as the OP.

Mar 01 11 10:48 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I think you misunderstand. Nothing secret about it.

You try to get paid work for models and clearly, from your own statement, interact with photographers who don't want to pay those models. How is negotiating on behalf of models not acting as a manager? You may not be hired to perform those services, per se, but you're admittedly performing them nonetheless.

If you're intention was to appeal to photographers benevolent side, why post this in the Model Forum? This thread should have been titled, "I'll be your daddy."

"daddy" doesn't try to get men to pay for pics of his daughters...

Mar 01 11 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Rick Fink

Austin, Texas, US

I started this post on the Model page because I wanted models to know what they are getting paid for- a legal document that gives the photographer all the rights and ownership of images from your work together!

Mar 01 11 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Moderator Warning!
Since the question is directed toward photographers I'm moving it to the proper forum.

Mar 01 11 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Rick Fink wrote:

As with everything, it depends.  Context is important.

But with all things being fair and equal, getting a signed release is worthy of compensation.  Assuming these are the typical cookie cutter releases that allow the photographer to anything they want and not just limiting themselves to portfolio.

Mar 01 11 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Rick Fink

Austin, Texas, US

Could we leave this in the Models forum?

Mar 01 11 10:57 am Link

Model

Shaholly

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Since you brought this up... I have been dealing with similar issues with photogs. Some will get extremely offended once I give my rates. Anyway, what do you as a photographer consider to be reasonable rates for me?

Implieds?
Topless?
Clothed/portrait?

thanks

Mar 01 11 10:58 am Link

Model

Artemis Bare

Rick Fink wrote:
Could we leave this in the Models forum?

No, as it was directed to photographers.

You are welcome to start a thread directed at models discussing issues you believe they need to be aware of, and put that in model colloquy

Mar 01 11 10:58 am Link