L U C I M A

Los Angeles, California, US

edit: accidental repost

Mar 09 11 05:53 am Link

Filmmaker

ByeBye100000

D M E C K E R T wrote:
if i wasn't a) a broke ass first year teacher saving to buy a house in the wonderfully depressed vegas market, and b) out of town that weekend...i'd be all over this. haha

You won't have to save much. 2 bedroom condos are going for $25K there. My bro sells them like hotcakes in Vegas.

Mar 09 11 05:56 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

edit: accidental repost

Mar 09 11 05:58 am Link

Model

EmilyDoll

Fontana, California, US

wow nice location

Mar 09 11 05:59 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

There are definitely a lot of challenges to making this workshop for many!

For those that make it, it will be epic smile

Mar 09 11 06:03 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

More Q/A...

Q: Will we be shooting nudies?
A: Nope. There are great workshops for that kind of thing but our focus for this location will be shooting fashion/editorial fully-styled smile

Mar 09 11 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: Who are the models?
A: So far it's Anneliese from NEXT and Brett from Zuri. I'll update as we go along!
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-09xTJ90mgk8/TXhyeyUtYtI/AAAAAAAAAxA/j5VBiv0g0bc/s1600/workshop-models.jpg

Mar 09 11 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferChamberlin

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

whoa! what a place... enjoy it!

Mar 10 11 12:23 am Link

Photographer

REN LARA PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

amazing location and gorgeous models!! You guys shouldn't miss this!!!

smile

Mar 10 11 08:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kathleen M Ty

Pomona, California, US

what did you think of the video?

Mar 10 11 10:41 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyeh01/5513646356/

Ugh... too bad I can't embed it...

Loved it. Gonna use for promotional smile

Mar 10 11 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Arnold Photography

Hmmmmm..........

Mar 10 11 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Rich, that's it? Just "hmmmmm........"? smile

I guess Las Vegas pales to the Serengeti huh? LOL!

Mar 11 11 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Rich Arnold Photography

L U C I M A wrote:
Rich, that's it? Just "hmmmmm........"? smile

I guess Las Vegas pales to the Serengeti huh? LOL!

It's all the way ya say "hmmm" that matters. LOL. This looks amazing and you have the most amazing two models already signed up. Annaliese and Brett are "11's". But you know that. smile

Mar 11 11 07:24 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Rich, I'll try and find you another reason to come to Las Vegas smile

Mar 11 11 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

JonSeneca

New York, New York, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:
if i wasn't a) a broke ass first year teacher saving to buy a house in the wonderfully depressed vegas market, and b) out of town that weekend...i'd be all over this. haha

I know awesome opportunity if you could afford it.

Mar 12 11 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Richard Julio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm an amature photographer and I have had some formal training on manual camera operations. I just want to know if this workshop is geared for someone with my experience level.

Mar 12 11 10:52 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Hi Richie,

That's a great question. I would say that the average skill level my workshop photographer is somewhere in the intermediate range. I define intermediate as someone who understands "basic lighting". What does this mean? To me this means firstly a basic manipulation of ambient exposure via camera settings. This also means you are comfortable shooting off-camera flash. Those are the only prerequisite skills/experiences that I need you to have so we can build off of that to create greater understanding with shaping your subjects with light.

That being said, if you come with an open-mind and a willingness to learn, you'll gain volumes regardless what skill level you are. The purpose of this workshop is to learn how to assess different scenarios, different wardrobe and create a unique lighting look that tells a "story". We'll use reflectors, scrims, flags as well as 1 and 2 light setups with various modifiers to accent the features on the models.

Let me know if you have any other questions smile

Cheers!

Mar 12 11 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

j flynn

Burbank, California, US

Photos by Richie Rich wrote:
I'm an amature photographer and I have had some formal training on manual camera operations. I just want to know if this workshop is geared for someone with my experience level.

Richie ... this workshop with take your skills to a whole new level, and quick!  Charles is an excellent teacher and the models are fantastic!

Mar 13 11 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers Jason! smile Thanks for the endorsement! smile

Mar 13 11 11:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kathleen M Ty

Pomona, California, US

wink

Mar 14 11 09:50 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: What experience level is this workshop geared towards?
A: I would say that the average skill level my workshop photographer is somewhere in the intermediate range. I define intermediate as someone who understands "basic lighting". What does this mean? To me this means firstly a basic manipulation of ambient exposure via camera settings. This also means you are comfortable shooting off-camera flash. Those are the only prerequisite skills/experiences that I need you to have so we can build off of that to create greater understanding with shaping your subjects with light.

That being said, if you come with an open-mind and a willingness to learn, you'll gain volumes regardless what skill level you are. The purpose of this workshop is to learn how to assess different scenarios, different wardrobe and create a unique lighting look that tells a "story". We'll use reflectors, scrims, flags as well as 1 and 2 light setups with various modifiers to accent the features on the models.

Upon greater consideration I realized that my answer wasn't entirely true. I have had students come to my workshop without much if any experience with off-camera flash. Though generally the photographers own PocketWizards and strobes themselves, I think that off-camera flash is just a lighting model that isn't dissimilar from anything else that has to do with lighting. If you're comfortable feathering a reflector then you've at least gotten the intent of off-camera flash: Proper lighting is necessary at angles other than on-axis /on-camera.

That's perhaps the greatest obstacle. If you don't have that realization then it's hard to build those mental models of different light in your mind. But if you have that mental construct, then all that you need to do (at my workshop) is pop on a PocketWizard and pay attention to how the different setups create different effects.

I will show you how to take control of ambient exposure and balance it with strobe under different lighting conditions. This is part of the agenda that everyone will experience regardless of experience.

And I will show you the subtleties using traditional modifiers (but differently) such as reflectors etc. There's simply so much you can do with a reflector and if done properly you can pretty much kiss your strobes goodbye. On location reflectors are for me as important as the strobes.

Lastly, seeing that this workshop will be a smaller and more elite (in opportunity but not necessarily in skill!) group of photographers, I will really be able to cater to each photographer and each photographer's goals for learning at the workshop.

Mar 14 11 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

JonSeneca

New York, New York, US

AOP Studios wrote:
You won't have to save much. 2 bedroom condos are going for $25K there. My bro sells them like hotcakes in Vegas.

Obviously you don't know that Nevada teachers are the lowest paid in the nation, not to mention Nevada has the lowest per student spending in education in the nation, the highest unemployment in the nation and the highest forclosure rate in the nation. Albeit homes in Vegas are a lot cheaper than California you get what you pay for. $25k will probably afford you a reo dump with toxic black mold)

The workshop looks amazing wish I could attend

Mar 15 11 01:31 am Link