Forums > General Industry > Seriously or not, THAT is the question

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Just wondering but do any of you think that some people on here, not limited to any particular member type, take themselves, their craft, their views, THEMSELVES, way too seriously?

Just wondering...

Peggy

Aug 06 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher M

Sioux City, Iowa, US

Who doesn't some times take themself to seriously? some people though don't take the craft seriously enough, and you can figure out who they are....quite easily to at times.

Aug 06 05 09:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Jessica L: 
Just wondering but do any of you think that some people on here, not limited to any particular member type, take themselves, their craft, their views, THEMSELVES, way too seriously?

Just wondering...

Peggy

an example please?   how do we converse about it if we dont know who your referring to?

Aug 06 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

With 23,000+ folks signed up, it's a fair surmise that some are too serious.

However, I think there are too many folks here that are not at all serious.  Particularly those that don't answer their e-mail.

Aug 06 05 09:04 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Mary: 

Posted by Jessica L: 

Just wondering...

Peggy

an example please?   how do we converse about it if we dont know who your referring to?

Actually, like the "My stuff is better than your stuff" type of thing.

I've seen it a few times but just wondering if anyone else has seen it or has an opinion.
In all honesty though...I just was trying to drag everyone away from another thread in another forum that was getting way too serious and way too long.
smile
Peggy

Aug 06 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher M

Sioux City, Iowa, US

Well sometimes when you try to compliment people they take it as an insult. I had that happen when I told a modle that her potos "arent half bad" because some of the photos didnt seem to capture the attitude. I guess you can't help but have those kinds of incidents.

Aug 06 05 09:07 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Christopher M: 
Well sometimes when you try to compliment people they take it as an insult. I had that happen when I told a modle that her potos "arent half bad" because some of the photos didnt seem to capture the attitude. I guess you can't help but have those kinds of incidents.

I can see that happening.
Sometimes Jess will say "How come some people like my photos and some people don't?" as if they are judging her. I've had to definitely remind her that some people think what they want but they are looking at a photo, not judging HER.

Aug 06 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

Posted by Stan Goldstein: 

With 23,000+ folks signed up, it's a fair surmise that some are too serious.

However, I think there are too many folks here that are not at all serious.  Particularly those that don't answer their e-mail.

Oh man, I hear that!!

Aug 06 05 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

As soon as some of my stuff is better than someone else's stuff, I'm totally going all kinds of high and mighty!  That's gonna be so cool!

(Or maybe I just don't take myself too seriously.  Work, yes, work is fun.)

Aug 06 05 09:19 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
As soon as some of my stuff is better than someone else's stuff, I'm totally going all kinds of high and mighty!  That's gonna be so cool!

(Or maybe I just don't take myself too seriously.  Work, yes, work is fun.)

Brian! I should have KNOWN you'd get this!
It's about humor!LOL
I already think you're better than a lot of people so it's all good!

Aug 06 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

From John Irving's The Hotel New Hampshire:
This is an old joke. There was a street clown called King of the Mice: he trained rodents, he did horoscopes, he could impersonate Napolean, he could make dogs fart on command. One night he jumped out his window with all his pets in a box. Written on the box was this: ‘Life is serious but art is fun!’ I hear his funeral was a party. A street artist had killed himself. Nobody had supported him but now everybody missed him. Now who would make the dogs make music and the mice pant? The bear knows this too: It is hard work and great art to make life not so serious. Prostitutes know this too.

Life is serious but art is fun. 

Aug 06 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I don't take myself seriously...I take my work seriously.  There's a big difference. 

Aug 07 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

alot of people on the messageboards have no lives.  of course they take themselves seriously all the time.

Aug 07 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

gina slusarchuk

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

I think there will always people who take themselves too seriously.  But I have to concur with Brian Diaz's comment.  smile

Posted by Brian Diaz:
As soon as some of my stuff is better than someone else's stuff, I'm totally going all kinds of high and mighty! That's gonna be so cool!

In all actuality... I'd be happy to be happy with my work much less thinking it is better than someone elses! smile

...cheers...

Aug 07 05 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Ya some people just need that one last bong hit!!

Aug 07 05 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Jessica L: 

Just wondering...

Peggy

I still don't have a deep grasp of what you mean specifically.

Aug 07 05 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

riosun

Harlingen, Texas, US

As a wise man once said, "No use taking life too seriously. You're not getting out of it alive anyway."

Aug 07 05 03:44 pm Link