Forums > General Industry > Has modeling became too trendy ?

Model

Maiko Star

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I'm was surfing on this site and I am AMAZED by the number of girls who takes pictures of themselves and call themselves models afterwards. The few photographers I spoke to on this site, are loaded with bad experiences of renting studios and models not showing up etc... I feel like modeling has become trendy. The attract to say " look I got professional pictures" as exposed TFP modeling to a wave of peoples that can't look at themselves properly. I don't mean necessary ugly people, because in art it takes all kind of sahpe to reprensent an emotion trough a series, but grils that don't show anything worth beeing pictured. Girls that have bad faces which is the basis of modeling (on my opinion of course). It IS a free site after all, but it saddens me a lot to be discredited because everybody call themeselves models these days! I think there's a bunch of girl out there who could use asking themselves WHY they are doing this. I might be a little harsh, but it IS a business afterall and I think some people should take it more seriously. And if you're doing it for fun, at least respect your engagment and don't pretend to be a professional model...

Aug 06 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

It is said that at some time in their life every little boy want's to be a fireman and every little girl, raised with her Barbie, wants to be a "mod...doo"

The sad truth is that no one ever tells them the facts of life... or the real truth... most little boys don't have what it takes to be firemen and most little girls don't have what it takes to be "mod...doos".

For God's sake just look at the threads here about "I won't do nudity, lingerie, swimsuit, or even implied..." and they call themselves "mod...doos"? If they are offered a shoot like your BlackBoots image they throw a hissy fit. Hell, some of the so-called "mod...doos" have even said here that they wouldn't even work with a photographer on a clothed shoot because the photographer has done nudes with some other model. That's insane! They should get a job, and get a life, outside "mod...dooling"

You could say exactly the same thing, too, about GWCs and photography. They may own a camera but it doesn't make them photographers.

Studio36

Aug 07 05 06:01 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Hasn't fashion always defined trends?

Soon the trend will be for ugly girls...

Aug 07 05 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

There will always be more people who are average or below average at a task than there will be of those who excell.  But that doesn't mean that the majority shoudn't try.

More total models means more good models.

Aug 07 05 06:09 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Posted by Brian Diaz:

It means a lot more bad ones, with attitude, too.

Studio36

Aug 07 05 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by studio36uk: 

Posted by Brian Diaz:

It means a lot more bad ones, with attitude, too.

Well, someone has to write the business summaries for institutional investors.  We can't all do what we dream.

Aug 07 05 06:22 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
Well, someone has to write the business summaries for institutional investors.  We can't all do what we dream.

I just wish they would pick up on that idea a bit earlier... like at around 14, or so, and save the rest of us all the grief.

Studio36

Aug 07 05 06:38 am Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

how could modeling ever be too trendy?

Modeling and fashion define trends for the rest of society.

Aug 07 05 06:51 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

I hate to be blunt, but so what? There are unprofessional people in every field, just so happens that modeling has a glamorous image and is portrayed as being a relatively easy, high paying career. If girls want to make a go of it, let them learn the hard way that it's not what it necessarily seems.

Aug 07 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Posted by glenn usdin: 
how could modeling ever be too trendy? Modeling and fashion define trends for the rest of society.

It's not modelling itself but the insane belief that anyone with two snapshots, and a computer, can unilaterally declare themselves to be one... when by any standard they know FA about the business of modelling. They get one TFP and suddenly they are a "professional mod...doo"

Seems like they get this thought into their head that "I want to be a "mod...doo""... and POOF! they are one like friggen magic. It's like "OK boys and girls, click your heals together and repeat the magic words... "I want to be a mod...doo""

Give me a break! If it wasn't for the internet we wouldn't have ever seen that happen, and its gone way beyond a joke.

Studio36

Aug 07 05 09:22 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Anyone with a camera is a photographer....

Aug 07 05 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Anyone with a camera is a photographer....

Yup. And anyone with a metabolism is a https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=7317%20f"">"model".

Frankly I think what's happening is that a lot of these girls get their heads filled with pretty visions of being in Playboy (wow!) or whatever from boyfriends and GWCs who'll tell 'em whatever it takes to talk them out of their clothes. Why not? You can make a little money and act like a diva for a few hours.

mjr.

Aug 07 05 09:40 am Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Hey let's leave the ugly girls alone!!!

Aug 07 05 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Posted by Maiko Star: 
I'm was surfing on this site and I am AMAZED by the number of girls who takes pictures of themselves and call themselves models afterwards. The few photographers I spoke to on this site, are loaded with bad experiences of renting studios and models not showing up etc... I feel like modeling has become trendy. The attract to say " look I got professional pictures" as exposed TFP modeling to a wave of peoples that can't look at themselves properly. I don't mean necessary ugly people, because in art it takes all kind of sahpe to reprensent an emotion trough a series, but grils that don't show anything worth beeing pictured. Girls that have bad faces which is the basis of modeling (on my opinion of course). It IS a free site after all, but it saddens me a lot to be discredited because everybody call themeselves models these days! I think there's a bunch of girl out there who could use asking themselves WHY they are doing this. I might be a little harsh, but it IS a business afterall and I think some people should take it more seriously. And if you're doing it for fun, at least respect your engagment and don't pretend to be a professional model...

A model should have the basics of what to do at a shoot and the photog should learn to use that persons best trait for the photos.
The issue of the "Not so perfect playboy model" showing up at your step is not going away, but a happy customer is a good customer.

Aug 07 05 10:11 am Link

Model

Maiko Star

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I'm not talking about fashion, I'm talking about TFP modeling which is accessible to mostly anyone, because if you don't pay you're model you don't really complain... But those who do that just to get a couple of good pics of themeselves and than can't respect their appointments afterward gives bad reputation to those who tries to build a website on TFP basis. Those who work hard, take several appointments and respect them, those who bring ideas an concept to work between artists...

Aug 07 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

gina slusarchuk

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by Maiko Star: 
I'm not talking about fashion, I'm talking about TFP modeling which is accessible to mostly anyone, because if you don't pay you're model you don't really complain... But those who do that just to get a couple of good pics of themeselves and than can't respect their appointments afterward gives bad reputation to those who tries to build a website on TFP basis. Those who work hard, take several appointments and respect them, those who bring ideas an concept to work between artists...

TFP has a bad reputation, not just because of models, but also, because of the "photographers".  So many so-called "photographers" will do TFP with just about anyone.  Just so they can say they are "shooting."  It doesn't mean that the product they produce is worth anything or the "model" they are shooting is worth shooting.

Just starting out, I am trying to build my book via TFP.  I am extremely picky about who I do TFP with... I won't just shoot TFP with any model who messages me.  I have specific projects and end products in mind when I request models through various avenues on the internet... I'm lucky if I get even one response from a model truly worthy of shooting.

So as long as there are "anyone with a camera" shooting, there will always be "not so great" models, "mod - doos" or whatever you want to call them.

The stigma of TFP is definitely not just purpetuated by the "models", it comes from both sides of the lens.

...Cheers...

Aug 07 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

for as many wannabe models out there, there is an equal amount of wannabe photographers.  life sucks.

Aug 07 05 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
for as many wannabe models out there, there is an equal amount of wannabe photographers.  life sucks.

What are you talking about?

life is totally radd!!

(:---------

Aug 07 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
What are you talking about?

life is totally radd!!

Sometimes

Aug 07 05 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rising Moon Photography

Bowie, Maryland, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

With that being said, which is harder to do, become a model or become a photographer?

Aug 07 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

"Has modeling became too trendy?"

No, but the thought of it has...

Aug 07 05 04:21 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I just model, get paid, do my job.  smile

Aug 07 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

CUCabassaou

Springboro, Ohio, US

I wouldn't give it all much thought personally....none of that will ever change, and that's ok..anyone who is serious about the business will just keep shooting/modeling anyway, and it will sort itself out in the long run!

Aug 07 05 04:47 pm Link