Forums > Photography Talk > Is It Illegal to Photograph a Farm?

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

QuaeVide wrote:
Don't miss the first section of the bill:

Merely entering onto a farm to ask for directions would be a felony.

True enough, possibly, but what about tele lenses, or aerial photography?

Mar 09 11 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

J Lanzara

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

http://www.normanforsenate.com/index.ph … &Itemid=77

is the link to the state senator's contact page. Tell him he's an idiot, as I did. He has the plump face of a career politician who will blow whichever way the people tell him to.

Mar 10 11 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Keigo Kato

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

And there's me thinking UK was bad.  That's just pure BS if that sort of bill gets passed. I hope Florida photographers will get together for a mass protest/petition to stop it.

Mar 10 11 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Make it a state code requirement for farmers to build 15 foot walls around their farm, or else they face jail time, or, oh my God - someone might take a picture of their farm!!

Mar 10 11 04:23 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

QuaeVide wrote:

If that's the case, put a wall around it.

Actually, a number of agribusinesses are extremely secretive about equipment, workers, plants, processing, and products.  And people don't get how much influence agribusiness has in Florida.  This is less about photography than it is about corporate espionage.  That's not trying to rationalize the bill or argue it's right, only to explain why this is happening and about corporate farming.

This corporate businesses (the really big ones) are perfectly willing to fence/wall their properties (and some do).  They have private security and are perfectly willing to roust anyone they see who "doesn't belong."  The parts of the bill about venturing onto property are just as critical as the photography ones...this is a bill about trade secrets and corporate espionage....not someone came up with a nice design for a barn or an interesting shade of paint.  Monsanto and US Sugar and Florida Crystals don't want competitors or small farmers or animal rights people or FDA inspectors to be able to survey or document stuff without checking in first (and giving people time to prepare/hide/destroy or delay the visit).

--Ed

Mar 10 11 04:46 am Link

Photographer

Clarence Zimmerman

Orlando, Florida, US

Do Google and others or even the government get an exception for their satellite imaging or do they get busted right along with the rest of us???

That's gonna make for some hellish lawsuits!

Mar 10 11 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

Man, I really wish you southerners won that damn war so we'd be done with you.

Mar 10 11 05:15 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

afplcc wrote:
Actually, a number of agribusinesses are extremely secretive about equipment, workers, plants, processing, and products.

There is nothing in the bill to stop competitors studying anything that is in sight and making copious notes. This is about the power of images in public relations, not about hiding trade secrets.

Mar 10 11 05:37 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

afplcc wrote:
This is less about photography than it is about corporate espionage.  That's not trying to rationalize the bill or argue it's right, only to explain why this is happening and about corporate farming.

Your aluminum foil hat is on way too tightly.

Mar 10 11 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Hancock Image Services

Rock Hill, South Carolina, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
Man, I really wish you southerners won that damn war so we'd be done with you.

LOL! Me TOO!

BUT this has NOTHING to do with the North, the South, the Left Coast or the War of Northern Aggression. Everyone who has stated corporate reasons is dead on. Here's most likely how this goes...

Company XYZ has come up with some super new crop or means to maximize yields and has contracted Bob's Farm to handle putting it into practice. Now Bob can't so much as say who the guys in lab coats showing up weekly and measuring all the crop progress are working for, much less what they are doing. Unfortunately for XYZ corp Bob's Farm is right photogenic and near a relatively major road, oh, say I-5 up through the San Joaquin Valley, and every few days photographers are stopping by and shooting images that show clearly the new process.

Well it just so happens that one time when the corporate meter checkers are there, they see a photographer shooting from the roadside above the farm. They immediately rip Bob a new one and he sadly informs them that there's nothing he can do since they are actually on public property. When the "meter men" return to the mother ship, they report the event. That goes up the chain.  Ideas are thrown around regarding building huge fences and what not but those all cost XYZ Corp money. Shareholders like it when companies get spending not increase spending. A way that won't cost XYZ money has to be found. At some point it gets to the legal department.  The XYZ Corp makes political donations at the state level. They get one of their attorneys to draft 'legislation' that would serve their needs and it gets delivered to that state level politician via a lobbyist. The state legislator has an underling 'fluff it' and introduces the bill that serves the complete and total interests of XYZ Corp and stomps civil liberties and individual freedoms in the process... All the while costing XYZ Corp no additional funds...

Mar 10 11 06:32 am Link

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

San Ramon, California, US

Mar 10 11 06:38 am Link

Photographer

ARTFORMS

Greenville, South Carolina, US

robert christopher wrote:

It is a crime to photograph a policeman in Maryland.

Yeah, they don't want to get caught commiting crimes anymore than the criminals do.

Mar 10 11 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Eloi Images

Hartford, Connecticut, US

I believe it's okay if you get a moo-del release.

Mar 10 11 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Roy Lett

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I have lived here most of my life, so nothing really surprises me (anymore). I believe the crime rate stats support there is loads of criminal activity going on and not much LE activity. The new things here in the (cloudy today) sunshine state are robo-red light cameras at the stop lights and robo-speeding cameras on thoroughfares "because there is not enough manpower to adequately monitor these situations."
I will say other than a $$$ powerhouse like Monsanto pushing something through the current make-up of the state house and senate are mostly republicans and they came to office with promises of less government. The new governor has actually proposed de-criminalizing a slew of misdemeanors(and a few felonies) because it costs money to incarcerate people and he wants to eliminate the Dept. of Corrections (towards privatization).
Most of the legislators are attorneys, i.e. allegedly know the Constitution, so I would imagine such a feel good measure would not survive committee (where proposals go before actual debate on the floor of the various houses); that said this Florida and the rules are different here lol!

Mar 10 11 06:50 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

QuaeVide wrote:

There is nothing in the bill to stop competitors studying anything that is in sight and making copious notes. This is about the power of images in public relations, not about hiding trade secrets.

Agreed.  You miss my point.  Stuff gets labeled as "trade secrets" protection.  And it's really an amalgam of issues:  trying to avoid immigration issues (photographs of workers who may be undocumented), limiting scrutiny by animal rights activists, making it harder for state inspectors (difficult for citizens to turn in a picture saying "see, the manure runs off directly into the stream" and thus provide cause for a cease and desist order or full inspection).

And for most large agribusinesses, the "interesting stuff" isn't right by the side of the road.  Most of us think "farm" and we think bucolic little spread with a couple of cows, corn field, barn, rustic farm house, old tractor and a winding driveway...all visible from the main road.  Agribusinesses in Florida (or Iowa or California) cover hundreds or thousands of acres.  Some are indeed fenced/walled off in parts.  If this was only about photography, why would the bill also make it a felony to "venture" onto the property?

I'm not arguing the bill is justified or that it doesn't unfairly restrict photographer's rights.  But I am arguing that it's not motivated by an effort to control photographers, it's motivated by larger agriculture productions wanting to control who sees what, who has access to their production and increase the freedom those businesses have to operate.  Most of us when we think of Florida, we think of Disney and Miami nightlife.  But sugar production is a big industry with a lot of clout in that state.  Ditto with citrus.  Ditto with cattle (yes, cattle--nearly 1/2 of Florida's agricultural land is devoted to raising cattle).

Agribusiness is the explanation for why this bill exists and why it has a decent chance of passing the legislature.

--Ed

Mar 10 11 07:05 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:

Your aluminum foil hat is on way too tightly.

ummm....just a little bit of research will show that some of the people trying to justify this stupid legislation talk about "people posing as farm workers to then photograph the operations" and "protect the intellectual capital" and also avoid "abuses by PETA.'

Florida has almost no legislation regarding how animals are "managed."  Anyone who thinks that this bill is aimed at us photographers is wearing a foil hat.  It would potentially affect us.  But it's about keeping people from snooping into an agribusiness or slaughterhouse (like a chicken producing plant).

Mar 10 11 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I say again...

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!

https://digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pentax-k7.jpg

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!

Mar 11 11 05:19 am Link

Model

Hayleyyymarie

Meadville, Pennsylvania, US

Why dont you just ask permission from the farmer! I live on a huge farm, and we dont want random people walking around snapping shots. But if people come and ask for a tour, we gladly give them one and dont care if they take pictures, if we are touring them we are able to explain everything that is going on so that they can understand it all! Farms are not at all what some make them out to be! You think we just stick cows in a barn and give them some food and water? Wrong we give them,there own stalls in the barn to sleep in, pads for them to sleep on, and we bed them 3 times a week with sand so that they are comfortable! In order to have a good working farm you have to treat your animals good, if your cows are treated right they arnt gonna produce as much milk! Like i said though Ask the farmer!

Mar 11 11 05:32 am Link

Model

Hayleyyymarie

Meadville, Pennsylvania, US

Clarence Zimmerman wrote:
Do Google and others or even the government get an exception for their satellite imaging or do they get busted right along with the rest of us???

That's gonna make for some hellish lawsuits!

Most of the time farmers pay them for some prints of the photographs!

Mar 11 11 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Eloi Images wrote:

I think that might be the worst joke ever.

Mar 11 11 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

joshlanzara wrote:
http://www.normanforsenate.com/index.ph … &Itemid=77

is the link to the state senator's contact page. Tell him he's an idiot, as I did. He has the plump face of a career politician who will blow whichever way the people tell him to.

If you Google his name in conjunction with the word "ethics" you will see that his career advancement is probably limited.  He has to milk his current job for all he can because he'll never hold a higher office.

Mar 11 11 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Mike Kirwan Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

RayH Photography wrote:

I think that might be the worst joke ever.

Oh, pull the udder one

Mar 11 11 10:30 am Link

Photographer

JJAG Photography

Sheridan, Wyoming, US

Mike Kirwan Photography wrote:

Oh, pull the udder one

hahaha

Mar 11 11 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Eloi Images wrote:

Well, I thought it was funny.

Mar 11 11 12:12 pm Link