Forums > Model Colloquy > Wear Anything Under Lingerie?

Photographer

ThomasK

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey Models,

Just have a quick question.  I'm going to be doing a lingerie shoot where I've selected and purchased most of the bras/panties that the models are going to wear. They will also bring some too. My question is, what is typical, does the model just put on the lingerie as normal, or do they wear something underneath?  I think I read somewhere that perhaps a model might wear a thong under lingerie.  Then what about the bra?  I guess i just want to know are the pieces i bring just used once (and perhaps i let the model keep them) or is it that i should try and save and launder the lingerie for another use in the future?  I'm fine either way, i don't have a problem letting the girls keep 'em, I just don't know what the general thinking is about this in the model industry.  Thanks.

Mar 19 11 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Thomas Earl wrote:
Hey Models,

Just have a quick question.  I'm going to be doing a lingerie shoot where I've selected and purchased most of the bras/panties that the models are going to wear. They will also bring some too. My question is, what is typical, does the model just put on the lingerie as normal, or do they wear something underneath?  I think I read somewhere that perhaps a model might wear a thong under lingerie.  Then what about the bra?  I guess i just want to know are the pieces i bring just used once (and perhaps i let the model keep them) or is it that i should try and save and launder the lingerie for another use in the future?  I'm fine either way, i don't have a problem letting the girls keep 'em, I just don't know what the general thinking is about this in the model industry.  Thanks.

Anytime I've shot lingerie the models have worn a nude g-string under any garment mainly to make sure nothing inappropriate show if anything is sheer ... bras they just use... at the end of the shoot they keep the lingerie.

Just did this in Cape Town & the Model walked away with around $400 of new lingerie.. just the cost of doing business sometimes wink

Mar 19 11 05:22 pm Link

Model

Sogi the Model

San Diego, California, US

Unless the model knows that you'd wash and care for them properly after every shoot, they would probably bring their own thong for sanitation. If it is sheer, you should let them keep it because a thong will ruin the shot.

I usually bring my own lingerie, but if I didn't, I still probably wouldn't wear something used unless there was a receipt showing it had been cleaned.

For bra, I'm not as worried.

Mar 19 11 05:25 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

I always think it's best to let the models have the underwear after use..

Mar 19 11 05:26 pm Link

Model

Rebecca E Model

Reno, Nevada, US

Unless otherwise discussed, assume that it, like make-up should not be worn by a second person for sanitation reasons.

If the items are large and opaque enough, the model can wear items underneath, but one of the most annoying things is to be asked to wear intimate apparel, false eyelashes, etc which are not still in the packaging, etc

The second or 18th model can't know they've been properly sanitized.

Mar 19 11 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rich N London

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Alisyn Carliene wrote:

Says the model wink

Just kidding. Would you want to have shots of different models in the same lingerie? I tend to want to have variety in my port so I wouldn't want to use the same lingerie twice unless it was for some kind of project where that was the point.

Mar 19 11 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

Lingerie and sexy underwear are consumables for me as well.
Bras are usually no problem
After the shoot I let them have panties tights and stockings all the time. Fringe benefits.
I usually shoot see trough lingerie and my models agree not to wear anything under sheer garments, purposely to expose their beauty.
For me there is no point in doing lingerie shots if nothing really show.
wink

Mar 19 11 05:31 pm Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Seattle, Washington, US

Nude thong for bottoms and I don't think anyone for the tops(don't really need it anyway). Depends on the pieces and if you're going to use them to shoot again.

Mar 19 11 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Keith A Williams

Vanceboro, North Carolina, US

wash things well.

For lingerie, let her keep the items.

Mar 19 11 05:35 pm Link

Model

Mercy

There are two options that I've encountered and been ok with. One was that I kept the bottoms but the bra went back to the photographer so another pair of bottoms could be used in another shoot. The other was that the lingerie was in a dry cleaning bag with the tag attached showing it had been cleaned. I was ok with using them and giving them back to be dry cleaned again.

~Mercy

Mar 19 11 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Image House 2

Miami, Florida, US

Anything that goes below the waist I buy new and let the model keep it.  I would shy away from a thong or something under the lingerie if it can been seen or causes lines that can be seen.

Mar 19 11 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

ThatLook Visual Media

Nashville, Tennessee, US

From a consumer perspective, I think if the lingerie were supposed to be see-thru then I'd better be able to see-thru it.

Mar 19 11 06:59 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

to protect the girls can also use liners but these may appear like pads in the photos which isn't good.

Mar 19 11 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

ThomasK

thanks everyone, i think the girls get new undies.  luckily i know a spot that sells wholesale to the public at good prices.

Mar 19 11 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

DigitAl Photographix

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Alisyn Carliene wrote:

Always.

Mar 19 11 08:07 pm Link

Model

Nori Zay

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Alisyn Carliene wrote:

Agreed. The only time I would wear something that wasn't brand new is if I knew it was clean. If it came in a dryclean bag with the tag still attached, sure. Otherwise I'd be wary.
I'm not so dishy with bras. I'm more than fine with wearing bras that have been warn beforehand, though they need to be washed as well but normally laundered is fine for such a thing.

The easiest thing to do would be to just let the model keep what she wears. It eliminates all chances of anybody contaminating anyone else with anything.

Mar 19 11 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

g r e g g o r i o

"nothing inappropriate "

why edit god's work?

Mar 19 11 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

Thomas Earl wrote:
...I just don't know what the general thinking is about this in the model industry.

bra - nothing else needed
sheer with no bra - cutlets
panties - if needed a pad to reduce hair bulge / camel
thongs - legs together/crossed and no straight on butt shots

rule of thumb #1:  if shooting for the industry reduce nho's (nipple hard-on) and slits.

rule of thumb #2:  have model arrive with loose fitting garments to avoid strap lines that dig into the skin.  shoot the tightest fitting sets last.

rule of thumb #3:  sex sells, sensuality sells better for lingerie.

rule of thumb #4:  if shooting lingerie for erotic presentation disregard the rules.

Mar 19 11 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

They do sell paper panties that cover the main part of the woman private parts. I have seen them sell at most lingerie and sex shops. They come in a package of 8 for 5 dollars model wears it like her own panties under the panties you asked her to wear. It mainly is for model with that end of the month problem and discharge while moveing around. I normally give the models a pair of new 99 cent thongs to wear on under the new panties. Belive me for Pin Up style those Vintage panties are very expensive.

Mar 19 11 08:20 pm Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

Lingerie shoot = Model keeps the lingerie after the shoot.

Mar 19 11 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

JSpencer

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Mercy wrote:
There are two options that I've encountered and been ok with. One was that I kept the bottoms but the bra went back to the photographer so another pair of bottoms could be used in another shoot. The other was that the lingerie was in a dry cleaning bag with the tag attached showing it had been cleaned. I was ok with using them and giving them back to be dry cleaned again.

~Mercy

This.

Also, as a model I'm not comfortable sharing tights either. Knee or thigh-high socks I could probably deal with, but not full high-waisted tights (as they aren't always worn with underwear).

I keep my shoot wardrobe separate from my regular wardrobe and wash anything used during a shoot afterwards and it doesn't go back with the rest of my shoot wardrobe until this has been done (whether it's being machine washed on delicate, hand washed, or both).

As a photographer any bottoms I provide during a shoot that get worn that are more "frail" than stretch/elastic or yoga-weight leggings are then the model's. I generally have a few pairs of new tights available if needed for shoots, or will get them, just to be prepared. Lingerie, at the moment, not so much as all I have on hand is mine, and really, I'm not comfortable sharing.

In my time as a model I've only ever had 1 photographer who traveled with a suitcase of various pieces of lingerie who re-used them between shoots (and didn't have cleaning tags attached to anything, just everything all jumbled together). I quite happily wore what I had brought with me rather than sifting through a mess of things I would have been highly uncomfortable wearing.

Mar 19 11 08:40 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

Thomas Earl wrote:
thanks everyone, i think the girls get new undies.  luckily i know a spot that sells wholesale to the public at good prices.

Me too wink
also if we're not talkin' about the same place, check out beverly hills hosiery, i forgot its either on los angeles or broadway but its a good place.

Mar 19 11 08:42 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Marxs

Denver, Colorado, US

why would you wear anything under lingerie? I've never heard of this in my life.

Don't reuse lingerie- for photographic and sanitation purposes.

Mar 19 11 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Birds of Stones

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Alisyn Carliene wrote:

+1
I don't want to shoot a 2nd model in the same clothes any way.

Jess Lynn Photography wrote:
Knee or thigh-high socks I could probably deal with, worn with underwear).

nope, I don't recycle any thing, no socks, no hose, no fish net tops nothing. I wouldnt put on used undies so I cant ask some one eals to.

of course owning the shop that sales them makes it a bit more easy to do.

Mar 19 11 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The only lingerie we have in our studio that we reuse are those types that make sense like sheer coverup types, underbust corsets, maybe a garter belt.  The garments that would be considered underwear are not part of the inventory so-to-speak.

Unless I am shooting the lingerie are a product shot itself I would rather the model provide, its very interesting to see what their own style is smile  I don't want just what I would pick out, its not like I am well versed in this.  If need be take the model lingerie shopping.  She doesn't have to spend money on something she doesn't need and you still get to let her personal taste and personality show.

Mar 19 11 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

sdthjkyf

Most models don't trust other females to be clean. That's why they might way something underneath the lingerie you have them wear.
  If you are going to buy brand new lingerie for each shoot and let the model keep the it, tell them ahead of time.

Mar 19 11 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Well, I certainly wouldn't wear a pair of used undies... so.... can't really expect models to want to either.

Mar 19 11 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

Elizabeth Marxs wrote:
why would you wear anything under lingerie? I've never heard of this in my life.

there are reasons as i stated above.  if you ever shoot lingerie at the commercial level you'll see where certain items come into play.

Mar 19 11 10:33 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Marxs

Denver, Colorado, US

291 wrote:

there are reasons as i stated above.  if you ever shoot lingerie at the commercial level you'll see where certain items come into play.

which I have, and still have never worn anything underneath.

Mar 19 11 10:37 pm Link

Model

AllisonL024

For me its varied depending on the client. Many I shoot with I get the lingerie in original packaging (plastic bags or boxes w/tags still on) then am told to keep them after.

Others, especially those who do more vintage will have them cleaned and I wear either a nude thong and/or panty liners. Nothing for bras. I don't really like this way although I know sometimes its necessary and much more cost effective..its just a bit gross.

Mar 19 11 11:14 pm Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

All lingerie/swimwear I model is bought/made for me and part of my compensation.

Mar 19 11 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

From my experience, I have the model wear her birthday suit under lingerie. If it's sheer fabric, then either her nipples show through. While I've always had the model supply the garments, if I did supply them, and I had specifically bought them for a concept and found a model to wear them, then they get to keep them, but if they are previously worn, then no, but they would be thoroughly cleaned between uses.

Mar 20 11 09:46 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

291 wrote:

Exactly. If you're shooting an editorial with several pairs of $200 panties, you're not going to get to keep them all.  Nude g-strings and panty liners are common. 

And if you're shooting something sheer for a catalog, silicon nipple covers and the like  are often preferable to extensive retouching.

Mar 20 11 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

well to some extent its like this ....

would you wear some other fellows briefs after he had ?

at least have her wear a panty liner

Mar 20 11 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Tell her to bring a nude thong or gstring.

Mar 20 11 10:00 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

I don't shoot much lingerie, but if I did, I would lean towards no.  I just hate having anything under sheer, especially pantyhose.

Here check out Agent Provocateurs website. 

http://www.agentprovocateur.com/

Mar 20 11 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

K E S L E R wrote:
Here check out Agent Provocateurs website. 

http://www.agentprovocateur.com/

I'll be back later.

Mar 20 11 10:25 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sogi the Model wrote:
Unless the model knows that you'd wash and care for them properly after every shoot, they would probably bring their own thong for sanitation.

Which is exactly why we installed a washer and dryer in our studio and have a clothes hamper in the dressing room.  We are anal about telling the models to put used lingerie in the hamper and not back on the rack.

Your point is very well taken.  I find that, when not shooting in the studio, I only provide models with new lingerie with the tags still on so they are comfortable that it is sanitary.  In the studio it isn't a conern.

If you can't do that, it is totally appropriate for a model to wear a thong underneath.

Mar 20 11 10:40 am Link