Forums > Photography Talk > Business card: Part 2

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Have any of you ever printed your own business cards on double sided glossy photo paper? If so, what did you use to cut them so they come out the same size? I once tried the micro perferated edge sheets but absolutely hated the spft fuzzy edges that resulted.

Aug 07 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I've always sent them out to be printed (it's cheap enough to do 250) but I find far too often that the backs make great places for notes, directions, other people's phone numbers (who don't have cards of their own) etc.  So I don't think I'd recommend double sided glossy...

Aug 07 05 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You can buy card stock and cut it with a paper cutter or Xacto knife if you like.

This is OK if you need to run off a few dozen. I wouldn't spend my time doing this compared to the cost of printing if it was a large qauntity.

Aug 07 05 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
You can buy card stock and cut it with a paper cutter or Xacto knife if you like.

I tried that once and the cards came out different sizes. I recently bought a mat cutter to mat and frame photographs for sale. I will probably try that since it has the straight edge and ruler all built in.
Or maybe I can take them down to kinkos and pay them their cheap cutting fee. they can cut tons of sheets  of cards at once making them all the same size.

Aug 07 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
I've always sent them out to be printed (it's cheap enough to do 250) but I find far too often that the backs make great places for notes, directions, other people's phone numbers (who don't have cards of their own) etc.  So I don't think I'd recommend double sided glossy...

I have a definite idea for using 2 sided stock. I like the idea of one of my photographs on one side and my information on the other. If the other person does not have business cards, shame on *them* for not spending the few bucks, imo.

Aug 07 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

I had my new cards printed at www.overnightprints.com
They run $50/1000 double sided,full color with UV overcoat.
If you get them overcoated, Not even a Sharpie pen will
stay on it.

Dave Mullins

https://www.kr2s.com/photo/DLMImageCARD.jpg

Aug 07 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Dave Mullins: 

stay on it.

Dave Mullins

Thats really cheap compared to having them done at, say, Kinkos or probably myself.How is the quality though?

Aug 07 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Dave Mullins: 

stay on it.

Dave Mullins

I just went to their website. They do not give the option of me being able to use my own photograph on the front side.

Aug 07 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

You can download a template from them in just about any format. Do your own artwork. Then upload the final file to them for printing. Remember to save a copy of the file in PSD format to make any changes in the future.

Go back to their site.Click on businesscards, then upload finished file, click on specs to get to the templates.

This card was done in Photoshop. I have also done a card in Illustrator too. I downloaded their PSD template. Created the text and pix on layers, flattened layers, then saved as a 300dpi tiff and upladed the final file. I received the print order a week later. They use a very heavy card stock for printing.

Dave

Aug 07 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Dave Mullins: 
You can download a template from them in just about any format. Do your own artwork. Then upload the final file to them for printing. Remember to save a copy of the file in PSD format to make any changes in the future.

Go back to their site.Click on businesscards, then upload finished file, click on specs to get to the templates.

This card was done in Photoshop. I have also done a card in Illustrator too. I downloaded their PSD template. Created the text and pix on layers, flattened layers, then saved as a 300dpi tiff and upladed the final file. I received the print order a week later. They use a very heavy card stock for printing.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification. I just had them send me samples.

Aug 08 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Hey Dave, you were trying to see how many different color fonts you could use? ;-)  I count five.  You win!

Paul

Aug 08 05 07:43 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Whe wants to read red type on a black field?

It's amazing to me how much more the average graphic designer knows about photography than photographers know about design.

My favorite photographer business cards are the ones with 6 different typefaces..

Aug 08 05 07:48 am Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

Posted by Dave Mullins: 

stay on it.

Dave Mullins

That is a nice card!

Aug 08 05 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

I count 1 font with 4 colors.

I tried to break up the text into bite sized chucks. I've had a lot of compliments from others on this card.

Dave

Aug 08 05 07:59 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I print only on one side. I use Avery Glossy Clean Edge Business Cards for both my photography and my consulting cards. The edge is really clean. You can't tell the difference from regular cards.

Aug 08 05 09:08 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Dave Mullins: 
I count 1 font with 4 colors.

I tried to break up the text into bite sized chucks. I've had a lot of compliments from others on this card.

Dave

Your logo is the same typeface as the rest. It kind of dilutes your branding. Look at a newspaper or magazine. They use one typeface for the headline and another for the body copy. The same is true in advertisements...

Don't forget to count white as a color...

Aug 08 05 09:14 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Speaking of business cards...

lol

https://www.eventvibethevibe.com/memberimages/29190_DSC_0724.jpg

*shameless plug #102804*

Aug 12 05 04:23 am Link