Forums > Contests > Digital Art of The Day 4-13-11 "Little Folk"

Photographer

Muse Studio

Summerville, South Carolina, US

PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE YOU ENTER .
New Hours of Operation: 12pm MM Time - 12pm MM Time. EVERY DAY!

Voting does not start until: 6pm MM Time. EVERY DAY!

The winner for yesterday was Rick Dupuis Photography !  Congratulations!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/13313344
PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE YOU ENTER .

IMPORTANT: RULES

1. One entry per person per day.
2. One vote per person per day.
3. No bumping your entry.
4. No vote stacking or asking for other MM members to vote for you.
5. Voting starts at 6 pm (after 11 am)the day of contest ,it closes at 11 am the following day when it ends voting ends .(MM time.) However entries start as soon as post is up.
6. No voting for an image you participated in creating.
7. To vote, quote the entry you wish to vote for and type "Vote".
8. Mature 18 + images are allowed but must contain a link and not the actual image posted.
9. Photo Artwork must be digital art.
10. Unlike some contests you may post a story to go along with your work.
11. If you enter, you are expected to vote. It's common courtesy!
12. No re-entering a picture that has already won.
13. You must post with your entry what medium and how you processed the artwork(example : Photo, new background, Painted etc or Oil painted, photoshop etc...) If you do not post how you processed it and the medium, you will be disqualified.

ACCEPTED ENTRIES:

1. Photomanipulation (ie. Changed as if adding object, extracting, new background, elements etc.)

2. Painting Digitally(oil or anything else.)

3 . A photo that has the same elements but is then rendered into a different photo, for example adding a third person, a castle and changing colors and hand painting it.

4. Drawing in photoshop, painter etc...

NOT ACCEPTED ENTRIES:

1. Photos right out of camera.

2. Photos only changed in color, saturation or corrections.

3. Retouches (skin changes, smoothing and blurring, removel of blemishes and changing the overall color of background, clothes etc....)

Please follow these. If anyone finds that a picture seems to be only "retouched" or seems right out of camera, we will disqualify it from the contest.

Thanks very much and continue creating.

Vote and by all means, have fun!

Themes:
Today …   Little folk

4/14  Your Choice
4/15  Flowers
4/16  Your Choice
4/17  Magical creatures
4/18  Your Choice
4/19  Flying
4/20  Your Choice
4/21  Death
4/22  Your Choice
4/23  Resurection
4/24  Easter
4/25  Your Choice
4/26  Love
4/27  Your Choice
4/28  Hate
4/29  Your Choice
4/30  Way out there

CONTEST RUNS FROM 12PM MM TIME TO 12PM MM TIME DAILY!
VOTING STARTS AT 6pm MM TIME.
Voter's Clock here http://www.griffinbikini.com/mm/mmtime.html , provided by Ellen Griffin Photos.

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/tytaniafairy/Medal_Pattern_by_Omphaloskepsis99.jpg

Digital Art of The Day Contest is managed by FredsFotos and Muse Artist

Apr 13 11 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Steve Lease

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

https://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/steve4710/SL.jpg

These cousins were extracted from the background of their photo and pasted into another photo with a path leading through a forest. Then I finished off with an OOB technique. PhotoShop Elements 5 was used for the post processing work.

Apr 13 11 10:06 am Link

Photographer

J T I

San Diego, California, US

Entry: https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/jtiasgaard/Ben-Model-MayhemRedo.jpg
Odin was shot in the studio with his omnitrix in order to create a "Ben 10" composite.  He was extracted with channels, then I had to create the aliens by finding images and converting them into vector art, expanding, then using filter effects to try and make them more animated "projection like" from the omnitrix.

Combined with stock photo shots of evolving universe and exploding stars.  Painted in lighting which was a pain in the ass since I had to go from photoshop 64 to 32 then back to 64.  It was a fun project because it combined all of the elements I have learned from lighting, photoshop, illustrator, and three dimensional animating.

Apr 13 11 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

https://rickdupuis.com/family2/dino4x6.jpg
Dillon and Tiffany were shot on location. Tiffany is not a good actress. Dillon was actually shooting the watergun at their grandmother and every time he hit her, Tiffany laughed so I don't think I ever got a good scream. The 12" tall dinosaur was shot against a white background and the extracted and placed into the shot after Grandma was removed. The water splash isn't the greatest but I got what I was trying for. I made the frame and added the text later. All done in CS4.

Apr 13 11 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Lease

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Rick Dupuis Photography wrote:
Dillon and Tiffany were shot on location. Tiffany is not a good actress. Dillon was actually shooting the watergun at their grandmother and every time he hit her, Tiffany laughed so I don't think I ever got a good scream. The 12" tall dinosaur was shot against a white background and the extracted and placed into the shot after Grandma was removed. The water splash isn't the greatest but I got what I was trying for. I made the frame and added the text later. All done in CS4.

VOTE

Apr 13 11 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ellen Griffin Fantasy Art

Bedford, Virginia, US

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182018_165120403538109_100001204524819_412153_2575798_n.jpg

put kid on the pony added hat and bow.Changed out background then a few layers of texture to give it the older feel

Apr 13 11 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/154659_464065451554_616251554_6305011_2224992_n.jpg

Added wings made tones different , added sparkles nebulas and painted by hand .
etc

Apr 13 11 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Muse Studio

Big change on the 18th!
Also, we will take this opportunity to let everyone know rules will be monitored more closely.  We've let a few slide, but this is a digital art thread and we want to see digital art.
The description of how the image was created is important so share as much as you can.

We will be promoting heavily and ask our loyal followers to help with that.
Have a great day!
Deborah

Apr 13 11 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Steve Lease wrote:

These cousins were extracted from the background of their photo and pasted into another photo with a path leading through a forest. Then I finished off with an OOB technique. PhotoShop Elements 5 was used for the post processing work.

vote

Apr 13 11 05:40 pm Link

Model

Rota, Andalusia, Spain

Vote

Apr 13 11 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

J T I

Tytaniafairy wrote:
https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/154659_464065451554_616251554_6305011_2224992_n.jpg

etc

Vote

Apr 13 11 07:06 pm Link

Model

ElisAbEtH

Charleston, West Virginia, US

Tytaniafairy wrote:

etc

vote!

Apr 13 11 09:01 pm Link

Model

Sha-Lynne

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Steve Lease wrote:

vote!

Apr 13 11 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ellen Griffin Fantasy Art

Bedford, Virginia, US

Tytaniafairy wrote:

etc

vote

Apr 14 11 04:13 am Link

Photographer

2days Photos

Warrington, Pennsylvania, US

Tytaniafairy wrote:

etc

Vote

Apr 14 11 06:55 am Link

Photographer

J T I

Muse Photo Artist wrote:
Big change on the 18th!
Also, we will take this opportunity to let everyone know rules will be monitored more closely.  We've let a few slide, but this is a digital art thread and we want to see digital art.
The description of how the image was created is important so share as much as you can.

We will be promoting heavily and ask our loyal followers to help with that.
Have a great day!
Deborah

Hi Deborah,

I look forward to hearing more about the big changes.  I would also like some more clarification on "digital art."  To me, simply replacing backgrounds and dropping a few objects in frame is not necessarily any more digital art than an extensive beauty image retouch where you reshape the face, retexturize it, etc.  However, as I currently understand this thread, the latter would be disqualified as being "routine retouching", but the former would be accepted as "digital art."

Extracting a background and replacing it is as easy as removing a patch of acne. 

I love the thread.  I would just like to better understand at what point a retouch becomes digital art for this thread if there's a clear explanation.

Apr 14 11 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Muse Studio

JTI - I agree, which is why we plan  to be more diligent in monitoring.  Maybe the rules need to be re-written.

Extract and place = copy and paste
dodge and burn = blur
If no further work is done, then I don't consider it digital art.
A good explanation of process is vital.

We want to see some real efforts here.
Please feel free to join in this discussion with suggestions.

Apr 14 11 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Muse Photo Artist wrote:
JTI - I agree, which is why we plan  to be more diligent in monitoring.  Maybe the rules need to be re-written.

dodge and burn = blur

so we don't ever have to vote for an image, no matter how good it is, if the description reads, "Dodge, burn, the usual stuffdone in CS4"

Apr 14 11 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

J T I

Muse Photo Artist wrote:

dodge and burn = blur

Okay, so here is an example for discussion.  Say whatever you guys would like, I will not be offended.  It's an 18+ image, so I will link it here.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22540533

This image was the product of a ton of photoshop & lightroom work including extensively painting in shadows.  Would this be an image that, if I described my process, I would be able to enter for digital art?

The reason I ask is I did not change the background. I did not bring in stock clouds.  I, instead, took what I had captured and then used it as my canvas to paint away for hours. 

But in all honesty, I'm simply not sure if this would be eligible or not?  I will not be offended or argue either way. 

Thanks for the open discussion...

Apr 14 11 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

I know what you put into that image because I've done the same myself. and I am at a loss as to how to define it. There was certainly digital work done, but is it digital artwork or is it a beautiful image that was enhanced? This is exactly where we need to figure out where the line is.
Once we figure out where the line is, we need to stick to it. what I mean by that is, if we decide that the image you just showed us is an enhanced image and not a digital image, than we need to stick to that and disqualify any and all images that the administrators deem to be the same.
On the other hand, and this is to play devil's advocate, if we decide that your image is fine for the contest, than we have to allow all iamges that have 'enhancements' and not just digital artwork.

I am not making a comment either way about what your image is or isn't. I'm just saying if we allow one, we have to allow all.

I like your image, by the way.

Apr 14 11 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Muse Studio

It is a beautiful image and very well digitally enhanced and that is what it is.  I would call that retouching.

So what is our definition of Digital Art in this contest.

"Photographs that are digitally manipulated with additional imagery and recreated to be a new art piece"

There's  my start.  Please add your thoughts.

Apr 14 11 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

J T I

I know what you put into that image because I've done the same myself. and I am at a loss as to how to define it. There was certainly digital work done, but is it digital artwork or is it a beautiful image that was enhanced? This is exactly where we need to figure out where the line is.
Once we figure out where the line is, we need to stick to it. what I mean by that is, if we decide that the image you just showed us is an enhanced image and not a digital image, than we need to stick to that and disqualify any and all images that the administrators deem to be the same.
On the other hand, and this is to play devil's advocate, if we decide that your image is fine for the contest, than we have to allow all iamges that have 'enhancements' and not just digital artwork.

I am not making a comment either way about what your image is or isn't. I'm just saying if we allow one, we have to allow all.

I like your image, by the way.

I agree with what you're saying.  And based on that logic, I do not think that simple "digital enhancements" should be allowed because that sort of defeats the purpose of this thread in my honest opinion.

The other side, however, is that it is funny that I could take 2 minutes to extract this image and drop it on some other background - and now it's eligible.  But by spending 2 hours - there is no way to qualify it without changing a background or drawing a fireball onto the image. 

LOL - interesting problem to have... smile

Apr 14 11 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

J T I

Muse Photo Artist wrote:
It is a beautiful image and very well digitally enhanced and that is what it is.  I would call that retouching.

So what is our definition of Digital Art in this contest.

"Photographs that are digitally manipulated with additional imagery and recreated to be a new art piece"

There's  my start.  Please add your thoughts.

I had a server error so my reply to Rick was not up before you responded too.

I agree.  Based on my own thoughts, this would be an enhanced image.  But, as above, it is ironic...

Cool, I understand now. 

The problem that I am having, honestly, now is that it is tough to enter contests... because I guess I am more of a "compose during production kind of guy" than a run out and get stock images... but that's okay.

Thanks for the discussion.

Apr 14 11 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

J T I wrote:
I agree.  Based on my own thoughts, this would be an enhanced image.  But, as above, it is ironic...

Ironic? Here's one for you...
The first time I won the Concept of the Day contest, I did so with a family portrait. Now then, prior to that I entered it in a contest that had international-quality judging and it competed with kore than 1200 images. That one won 1st in 'People.' No other photo got more points than it did, and only one recieved the same number of points: an absolutely beautiful hummingbird.... now here's the irony....
My famly portrait was weeks in the planning. The entire family was dressed in 1950's clothing and the photo was shot at an old train station museum. So it took weeks of planning and more than three hours to get the shot.... there was a full grown dog and a puppy in the photo as well as a girl with a melting ice cream cone.

The hummingbird and the family portrait were againste ach other for best in show. The hummingbird won. The photographer and I have since become pretty good friends. He said the day he took the photo, he set up the camera aimed at his feeder and just snapped photos.... That best in show photo is the only one out of more than a hundred taken that was worth entering.

So weeks of planning, hours to shoot and a single frame from a burst beat it.

Sometimes it just is what it is.  I now love the digital stuff as much as the shooting. Sometimes I shoot all of the pieces myself. Darth and Boba were shot a year apart.

Apr 14 11 02:35 pm Link

Model

Kayleigh Kay

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tytaniafairy wrote:

etc

vote

Apr 14 11 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

J T I

Ironic? Here's one for you...

That's a funny story!  I know that feeling...

The "ironic" part I was talking about, however, is that I would have to take a picture that is great as is, and extract it to drop it on something else in order to qualify. 

LOL -

Post the picture you were talking about! smile

BTW - Hummingbirds are damn hard to shoot! http://jasontoddipson.com/2011/03/26/pr … mmingbird/

Apr 14 11 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

I think it also depends on your enhancing . If U added more than average , like wings etc and changed only part of the background that is concidered digital art .
I am the one who started this contest last year , the reason beind it was so that we as artists could learn from eachother and improve , so leaving comments on what we did to the picture is important . Also so we could inspire eachother to different levels as well have some friendly competition and push ourselves to the next level of our imaginations .

Edit : I also understand rick because I have in the past planned and planned and the winner was person who just happened to be in the right place at the right time . I guess it made me little well angry because I put sdo much time and planning , gas , costume work (i make my own) And try to get the right lighting plus all the money I invest , it seems unfair .

Apr 14 11 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Here you go. smile
https://rickdupuis.com/family2/lynnsepia2small.jpg

Apr 14 11 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

Here you go. smile
https://rickdupuis.com/family2/lynnsepia2small.jpg

And I can see you did put alot of effort into this .

Apr 14 11 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Tytaniafairy wrote:

etc

vote

Apr 14 11 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Muse Studio

Thank you Tytaniafairy.    We share the same vision on this.   Do you mind if I quote part of this in the contest opener?

PS.  There is always a place should you want to come back and help monitor the contest.

Apr 15 11 06:38 am Link