Forums > Photography Talk > TFCD w/copyright sharing

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

J Merrill Images wrote:
In the end, its about fairness and its about what works for us as individuals at a specific point in our photographic lives. If it works, do it. If not, don't. Not too complicated!

You be fair... I'm in business to make a living and business is not fair.

Studio36

Aug 13 05 07:25 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

aye provide wrote:
I know what I want from a TFP session, a few quality prints and the chance for a section in his/her book and it seems many photographers are not giving it. 

Copyright?  Why bother asking for a shared one? Models if you are seeking web content just save $$ and shop for a reasonable shooter that can give you what you seek. Skip the hassle if you want full use of a set of pic just pay for want you need and be done.

As a "sub" you should be used to it aye. LOL

As a pro and a really nice guy (AS YOU KNOW!) I would give you what you need, and what we agree on, as long as it is within reason... even off a TFP / TFCD.

Studio36

Aug 13 05 07:29 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Delete.

Aug 13 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Adam Chilson wrote:
Well, from the minority wings, I do it all the time. Don't care. I'd rather work with people I want to work with. Don't want the hastle of hunting down a model for a few bucks they get down the line. Better to spend my time and energy creating new imagery than get bogged down chasing copyright issues on trade work.

However, there are projects (usually where I'm paying a model) that the copyright is guarded VERY jealously. Pick your battles. My motto, anyway.

If I pay a model, there is no way in hell she gets copyright, in fact i've never given out copyright.  But a paid model does not get any images at all, I figure she's already being paid, if she wants prints she can buy a couple off me.

Aug 13 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

I shot with a model who says that because we shot in trade that technically we share the copyright.  This shows how much misinformation there is and that more people need to be educated. I thought copyright could not be shared. It certainly cannot be demanded after the fact and will rarely be negotiated for TFCD sessions.

She also assumed that because everyone else she worked with just gave her all the images after a shoot, to do what she wanted with, that I should be bound to the same way of working. I stated that an assumption on her part does not translate into a change in my methods.

In a nutshell, before you work with someone, ask about their terms, policies and workflows. There are those of us that don't need the drama and frustration that comes with working with the under-educated.

Aug 15 05 11:13 am Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

JG Photography wrote:

Well I'm sure I speak from the minority here, but I personally would be okay with it. Now let me explain why... I'm a photographer mostly as a hobby right now. It has absolutely nothing to do with my career. Eventually I would like to get into the portrait business as a side business, but I'm not there yet. When the day comes that I'm trying to bring in some income from photography then my feelings will most likely change regarding this matter.

For you folks who do this for a living and use your art to put meals on the table and kids through school then I could see why this would be undesireable to you.

Cheers,
JG

You never know when a person will hit it big..become a news story or celebrity..or the photo itself will become something well known and widely used in pop culture. Just think recent use of old "Dukes of Hazzard " promo stills.  Or old Marilyn Monroe photos.   Images are earning money.........yet. Maybe it won't be your case, or mine but nice to know we have that copyright protection.

Aug 16 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Delete

Aug 17 05 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Tappan

Scottsbluff, Nebraska, US

kat_o_9 wrote:

Good point Jim.  The problem is that most photographers tend to want a contract signed for TFP.  A lot of the time, the contracts used are the contracts that say that the photographers have all the rights to use and sell the images and that the model has very little rights.  Some add a usage clause for the model, some don't.  I think as long as the TFP contract is fair for both the model and the photographer, copyright doesn't even come into play really.

Kat and Jim, I can't agree with you more. The original question was about TFP, and to ME - TFP should be equitable but it's also "assumed" to be non-commerical, which means, NEITHER party can use the work to make a profit.  If you want to sell or use the images for profit (commercial) then a separate agreement should be worked out between the model and the photographer prior to the shoot. It too should be equitable to both parties. (that's just good business.)

I have said in other posts and numerous times, the agreement that most photographers ask a model to sign, I would not sign if the roles were reversed. These agreements ask the model to sign away her rights on a TFP shoot; I think that's unrealistic. If the model gets paid, then she will be asked to sign such an agreement and visa versa, if the photographer is paid, he will relinquish copyright because it's a paid job like any other.  Of course, all things are negotiable and variations can be worked out in the releases.

Yes, I shoot the pictures and I own the copyright and don't intend to share my copyrights, however; the USAGE of those images for commerical purposes is a completely different matter/question/issue, which seems to be where this tread headed.

I don't think a model needs to share the copyright, but they SHOULD have specific RIGHTS to usage, and the photographer should be equally bound by the agreement.

I hope that clarified what I said originally, that wasn't written very well (as this post might also suffer from). smile

Aug 17 05 08:39 pm Link

Model

Adreanna LV

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Well I'm going to throw in my 2 cents.  TFP-Time for PRINTS or TFCD - Time for CD...that means, for my time I get prints/cd, for your time you get prints/cd.  If I'm going to work for you...free of charge, then I, as a model, should get compensation.  It isn't fair that you, as a photographer, can utilize my images in any way you wish, while I get nothing but a lost afternoon or a handful of images.

I can understand with TFPs the limited amount of photos you dish out cause printing costs alot, but on TFCDs, come on, a 50 cent CD is nothing.  If the shoot is done without pay to either party then both parties should have equal usage rights.  IF one party or another decides to sell the image, or submit it to a magazine or in one way or another turn a profit, then an agreement MUST be set up.

I, for instance, have a website.  I use my photos on my site, members pay to see said photos.  IF I had an outside photographer(I have my own personal photographer for my site to avoid this very problem) shoot me, TFCD, then I inform him/her that that is what I intend to use my images for, as well as discuss any compensation.  My site has not yet gone live, but it will soon.

Also, if a photographer has copyrights to a photo, that doesn't mean he can use it randomly.  A model release must be signed for commercial work unless otherwise specified.  That's why, if you ever audition for anything that will be televised, you sign a release.  You are giving them permission to use your image/likeness.  If no release is signed, a model could, theoretically, press charges if a photographer used her likeness for profit, defamed him/her, so on and so forth, without her permission.  Same can be said in reverse.

The way I see it is, if I'm working for free and you're working for free, then we both get an equal cut.

You pay me? I'm your employee. You get usage rights and I can purchase images from you or get lucky and have you give me a few for my use.

I pay you?  Well you're my employee.  I get the rights, you get my permission and pay me.

There was a lovely definition for model included earlier stating we were 'employees.'

em·ploy·ee also em·ploy·e    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (m-ploi, m-, mploi-)
n.
A person who works for another in return for financial or other compensation.

If I'm getting nothing, I am not your object or your employee.  I am doing a favor or I'm getting SOMETHING out of it such as...prints or a CD

Well I think that made some sort of sense.

Aug 17 05 09:09 pm Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

Los Angeles, California, US

if its a TFP basis.. .and the photographer profits from it.. wouldnt it be rihgt to give the model some sort of percentage? 10% 15%? b.c it IS her image and he didnt pay her. True she is getting the exposure BUT so it the photographer. there should be a neutral agreement. The photographer takes the pictures correct, but without the model...what would the photographer show? Thats when greed sets in and unprofessionalism takes place. TFP i think is a joined agreement.. its different then paid assignments...

Aug 19 05 09:08 pm Link