Forums > Critique > What makes a series of 'fetish' photographs?

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Would love y'all to look at the pics in my port - specifically the ones with simple cotton underwear items (like the avatar).

Am I on the way to creating my own niche of fetish photography? Not saying that I am breaking new ground or anything, just wondering if I could call it that - or if I need to tweak it to be that.

Thoughts either way are appreciated.

Jim

May 12 11 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Nitro

Milwaukie, Oregon, US

Who would like the fetish of very young girls in white panties?  Just don't know what to say to this except I would stay away from it. Love the black and white art aspect of it.

May 12 11 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Charlie,
I'm not sure I understand you. When I hear 'very young girls' I certainly don't think that applies to my work - everyone in my portfolio is at least legal age.

I am just trying to ascertain if my work falls into a fetish category presently, or if it needs to be tweaked (from a 'style' point of view, not the type of women I am shooting).

Thanks!

Jim

May 12 11 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Nitro

Milwaukie, Oregon, US

Guess I'm not relating to that kind of fetish. What kind of fetish is it anyway? Loving to look at white cotton panties? Just asking and trying to understand about that kinda stuff.

May 12 11 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Christine

London, England, United Kingdom

I wouldn't call them Fetish.. maybe in Japan..

May 12 11 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

You'd have to explain to me how women in cotton panties and tanks is a niche fetish.

If that's a fetish, then EVERYTHING could be considered a niche fetish. Say..... girls with angle grinders, or women in a black water, or women with neon paint on them.

I think you're trying to define something that's not really there.

May 12 11 02:21 pm Link

Model

Zex

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Doesn't seem like a fetish to me.

May 12 11 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I see a theme rather than a fetish. But I guess there might be a relatively small percentage of people that see it as such.

May 12 11 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Having a fetish for white cotton panties isn't an uncommon thing. You may have some simple panties in your photos but they really don't stand out as the focus, which is part of what makes a good fetish photo.

May 12 11 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
You'd have to explain to me how women in cotton panties and tanks is a niche fetish.

If that's a fetish, then EVERYTHING could be considered a niche fetish. Say..... girls with angle grinders, or women in a black water, or women with neon paint on them.

If someone sexualizes it in their mind, then it's a fetish.  Yes, it is entirely possible that someone fetishizes women with neon paint on them, just as many have a fetish for women covered in peanut butter or mud.

May 12 11 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

C s p i n e wrote:
Having a fetish for white cotton panties isn't an uncommon thing. You may have some simple panties in your photos but they really don't stand out as the focus, which is part of what makes a good fetish photo.

+1

May 12 11 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I wouldn't call it a fetish.

I have shot a lot of images of women in plain white cotton underwear (I have restricted it more than you have - in my shots it has to be plain white cotton), and I don't call it a fetish - I call it a theme. A theme gives structure to a series of photographs, and lets you focus on the differences.

May 12 11 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

jesse paulk

Phoenix, Arizona, US

no where near close to fetish....

May 12 11 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah I don't see them as fetish images at all.

May 12 11 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Trish Noble

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

C s p i n e wrote:

Robert Lynch wrote:
+1

+2

May 12 11 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Oh, it is a fetish. You wouldn't believe what can be a fetish to someone.

Just look at the categories on  clips4sale.com

May 12 11 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Christine

London, England, United Kingdom

Jeff Fiore wrote:

Japan has vending machines selling cotton panties, costs extra for ones with a vial of urine.
Anyway
The OP's photos don't emphasis the panties as said above makes them not very fetish type photos.

May 12 11 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

MamboPhoto

Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom

I don't see any fetish.....

Whilst of course they may represent a fetish to somebody, I think most people would recognise the more widespread better-known fetishes such as latex, pvc, extreme high heels, mild bondage or S&M themes as more obvious fetish shots.

May 12 11 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

OP Jim,
This is from dictionary.com and is also my understanding of fetish:

FETISH Psychology . any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation.

Many online have a much more limited view of fetish as described repeately within this post.

In either case there many, myself included, who consider women in panties erotic and there are many, many pictures of same.

Somehow I get the impression you're really asking yourself these questions, what do you think? In any event your port is not currently coalescing on that theme imo, but if you wanted it to, moving forward, you certainly could focus on that, er those.

May 12 11 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

RebeccaChristine wrote:

Japan has vending machines selling cotton panties, costs extra for ones with a vial of urine.
Anyway
The OP's photos don't emphasis the panties as said above makes them not very fetish type photos.

A woman I know used to buy a bunch of cheap panties, wear them then sell them on ebanned.com.

May 12 11 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Wow, I never thought I would get so much response. Thanks to all!

As I originally posted, I am not sure what to call my work. I will offer a couple of things I took away from what's been said so far, and it certainly isn't to say that I 'agree' or 'disagree' with any of it...

Here's what got me thinking along these lines in the first place. As one poster mentioned latex, etc., wouldn't that be a 'theme' as opposed to a fetish? I mean, we see a series of women in gas masks or rubber corsets, and we say that a person who likes that imagery has a fetish for it. So what's the difference? As I said, I am not sure.

And without trying to make myself look too goofy (ha!), if we need to have a 'sexual arousal' component to make it a fetish, I count myself guilty concerning the whole cotton underwear thing. At least as much as I would think a guy looks at the women in latex and feels she looks really sexy that way.

As far as emphasizing the panties and such, isn't enough that the women are wearing only that? I guess I am thinking that I want to go a bit above and beyond a cheezy 'panties' shot and make 'art.'

Also, I should say that some of the images in my port were created before I really thought this far. As I stated, my avatar image was the first pic I did with any great intention to create a specific type of (potential) 'fetish' imagery.

Thanks again to all and please continue to share your thoughts and feelings!

May 12 11 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

Some people find cotton panties boring and prefer nylon or lace tulle panties instead, the fetish is still the panty and the fiber either nylon or cotton is just a catalyst for sexual arousal so yes, fetishes do have a sexual component.
Fetish term is often misused to describe deviation from so called standard sexuality and became synonymus for kinks in human libido.
But that is an entirely another subject that can be debated until the end of times. big_smile
Everyone's opinion can differ but nevertheless there are plenty of fetishes out there like panty fetish, socks fetish, stockings fetish, smoking fetish, feet fetish, messy fetish, crushing fetish, school girl fetish, asian big boob fetish, hogtied fetish, diapers fetish, spanking fetish and so much more. evilgrin
op, only true fetishist will distinguish/see your fetish vibes in your work, for all others will not notice anything.
And it is really hard to strike a chord with them in your photography work, if you are not one of them wink
fetish is a state of mind, not just white cotton panties, it is more complex than that smile

May 12 11 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

North Kingstown, Rhode Island, US

Its fetish only if the white panties are the focus, but it may just be "your" fetish and not viewed as fetish type work. I suppose if you had a 100 photos and in everyone of them the models were all wearing similar white panties I would say you are working a "fetish niche"... Your port by itself does not reflect that yet...to me, anyway....

May 12 11 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

"And it is really hard to strike a chord with them in your photography work, if you are not one of them"

On one hand I agree with this and on another I'm not sure. I mean, a lot of people aren't into latex, but they would see a bunch of those pics and assume they were 'fetish' pics.

Does it have to do with social conditioning? Have no fear, I don't want to get too heavy about it all, just wondering.

If possible, let's focus on my avatar pic and one other pic - the two girls standing in the kitchen. Pretty girls, shot with an emphasis on the fact that they are wearing cotton underwear.

Guess I might be looking at this from the dreaded 'marketing' perspective. I certainly want my work to speak for itself, but I want to be able to describe it to someone in words too.

And back to the quote of Varton's thoughts, I do agree that one sees the fetish if they themselves are into it; guess I may be looking for a (slightly) more concrete way to describe things.

Thanks to all and not to be an attention whore or anything, but I still want to hear thoughts on the subject... wink

May 12 11 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

Many would say that the general theme of white cotton underwear "works" as a theme, and some viewers are interested in such photos because they are pleasing to look at.

Look at the work here on MM done by Mark Laubenheimer, which follows a very strong general theme of mostly college age girls in tank tops, bras, and similar everyday simple things. Also very pleasing to look at, but also only a theme.

As I see it your work is not that different from what he is doing, and it seems to be well within the range of interesting themes.

Simplicity may be the actual theme, and the basic white cotton underwear works well as an identifying part of that theme.

I have photographed numerous models wearing white cotton underwear, however that isn't the main theme of my work. There are many other things that give similar results. I just like the basic simplicity it gives an image, without being distracting like lacy lingerie sometimes does.

May 12 11 08:22 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

The majority of your work has a very candid effect. Not to say this is bad...but it isn't mindblowing to me. If I wanted photos of me standing and smiling in my underwear, I could either take the picture myself or get a friend to do so.

As for the fetish thing, there are people into that, and this theme could work for fetish, but the work overall isn't really fetish photography worthy. More like 'i'm trying to get my fetish in without the wifey finding out and kicking me out of the house so here's some more innocent looking photos to look at'. If you want to go into fetish work, look at the number of good photographers here that specialize in it (Ken Marcus https://www.modelmayhem.com/197198 is absolutely fantastic) and take some inspiration from their work.

Again, you have to switch up your photography style for shooting fetish work, there is typically a more sensual feel but that is not to say there isn't a high fashion side to it (again look at Ken and also Laura https://www.modelmayhem.com/856920 for examples). I believe there is a mentor thread for photographers, try there to get some more advice geared toward what you want to do.

May 12 11 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Well, this is what I have taken away from the replies to my post...

I do agree with most that my work is a 'theme' rather than a fetish. After hearing all opinions, I can see that, and it doesn't bother me and it is quite clarifying. Do want to thank everyone for their thoughts. They will give me some things to think about as I proceed.

As unintentional as it might have been, I found the last post off the mark and quite insulting. I am a photographer of over 20 years hard work and to be told that 'if I wanted pics like yours I would just take them myself' and that my work isn't 'sensual' is just an insult to my very being as an artist.

To put it simply, being good at Photoshop doesn't make a good photo, a good photographer or a sensual model, for that matter...

May 13 11 05:33 am Link

Model

Fauna The Muse

Rochester, New York, US

Please check your inbox. People on this site are more geared towards creating art, and to alot of them, art means nude.

Fetish is a whole different animal. Fetish is anything that can turn people on. From toe socks, to shoes, to bondage and slavery.

I am not trying to force any ideas on anyone, simply opening peoples eyes to other concepts and worlds.

Respectfully,

FaunaTheMuse
RiftImagery

May 13 11 05:45 am Link

Photographer

MamboPhoto

Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom

Jim LaLota wrote:
"And it is really hard to strike a chord with them in your photography work, if you are not one of them"

On one hand I agree with this and on another I'm not sure. I mean, a lot of people aren't into latex, but they would see a bunch of those pics and assume they were 'fetish' pics.

Does it have to do with social conditioning? Have no fear, I don't want to get too heavy about it all, just wondering.

If possible, let's focus on my avatar pic and one other pic - the two girls standing in the kitchen. Pretty girls, shot with an emphasis on the fact that they are wearing cotton underwear.

Guess I might be looking at this from the dreaded 'marketing' perspective. I certainly want my work to speak for itself, but I want to be able to describe it to someone in words too.

And back to the quote of Varton's thoughts, I do agree that one sees the fetish if they themselves are into it; guess I may be looking for a (slightly) more concrete way to describe things.

Thanks to all and not to be an attention whore or anything, but I still want to hear thoughts on the subject... wink

I disagree. The emphasis is not on the underwear.... if I look at those images, I just see girls in their underwear, I don't see the underwear first and the girl second, which I what I would expect in a 'fetish' image.

You are correct when you say more people would view an image of a girl wearing latex as being more obviously 'fetish' because latex is a well-known fetish, and has certain sexual connotations, where in my mind, cotton underwear does not.

I think it comes down to the fact that cotton underwear is 'normal' and practical clothing worn by millions of people every day whereas latex or PVC is more likely to be worn by someone making a statement with a sexual subtext.

I doubt that many people would regard any of your work as being 'fetish'.

May 13 11 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:

My girlfriend is a fetish model.  She's also on clips4sale.  I'm pretty aware of the fetish community.  The point I was trying to make is that while ANYTHING could be a fetish, if the photography doesn't come out and hit you in the face with it, it's not fetish photography.

The OP has revealed that to HIM, this photography is his fetish content.  So if he says it is, it is.  But if I say my fetish is to see women dressed in white, bathed in a white light (it's not) then that's MY fetish because I say it is.

I guess it's a question of what is a general fetish and what is a specialized, or niche, fetish.  Feet is a general fetish.  Girls in cotton panties IS a general fetish, but identified as images or video that feature the panties over the girl wearing them.  The fetish is the object, not the girl.

The OP has a series of very nice images of girls in panties.  I can't call it a series of fetish images.  But maybe he does.

May 13 11 11:36 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

I think Good Egg hit the nail on the head with the statement "The fetish is the object, not the girl." This, as obvious as it should have seemed, is why my work is NOT fetish (doesn't upset me, just enlightening).

And the summing up "The OP has a series of very nice images of girls in panties.  I can't call it a series of fetish images..." is pretty accurate also.

I suppose that shooting women of a certain age could be considered a fetish, though I think I would have to sexualize them to a certain point, which I don't.

But again, very cool and thanks for the input... wink

May 13 11 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

The fetish is the object, not the girl.

Exactly, it is an object, and by definition it is also a fixation or an obsession.

In a static still image if you have only the "object" but you are unable to communicate or expose the "obsession" part then you fail to create a fetish image.
And really, it does not matter what fetish genre you are working on.

That is the reason why the OP's pictures are not perceived as fetish. Nice girl, panties but no evidence of obsession.

May 13 11 11:56 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

May 13 11 12:57 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Jim LaLota wrote:
Well, this is what I have taken away from the replies to my post...

I do agree with most that my work is a 'theme' rather than a fetish. After hearing all opinions, I can see that, and it doesn't bother me and it is quite clarifying. Do want to thank everyone for their thoughts. They will give me some things to think about as I proceed.

As unintentional as it might have been, I found the last post off the mark and quite insulting. I am a photographer of over 20 years hard work and to be told that 'if I wanted pics like yours I would just take them myself' and that my work isn't 'sensual' is just an insult to my very being as an artist.

To put it simply, being good at Photoshop doesn't make a good photo, a good photographer or a sensual model, for that matter...

Did I say anything about photoshop or was that someone else?
You want opinions, I gave my blunt and brutally honest one. To the photos you were referencing, I personally feel that it wouldn't benefit me as an artist. That's me, that's how I roll. I think I was still on the mark, as the majority of my post discussed that you should look at those who have a good foot in fetish work if that's the route you're going into. At the current time, I don't feel your work would represent that. Also why I added going to the photographer mentor list and talking there, you'll get a lot more advice in a narrowed field from those who know what they are doing.

May 13 11 02:27 pm Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

varton wrote:

Exactly, it is an object, and by definition it is also a fixation or an obsession.

In a static still image if you have only the "object" but you are unable to communicate or expose the "obsession" part then you fail to create a fetish image.
And really, it does not matter what fetish genre you are working on.

That is the reason why the OP's pictures are not perceived as fetish. Nice girl, panties but no evidence of obsession.

Thank you dear, short and to the point. big_smile

May 13 11 02:28 pm Link