Forums > Model Colloquy > Ideal weight for a petite model

Model

Mariska

Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa

I am 5'3" and would like to know what the ideal weight is for a model that height.

Thank you smile

Jun 06 11 11:50 pm Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Seattle, Washington, US

Just so you know, models under 5'5" aren't considered petite, they're considered short. The difference is petite models can work in lots of fields (other than fashion), but short models are even more limited.

Jun 06 11 11:52 pm Link

Model

Mariska

Petite sizes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

In fashion and clothing, petite sizes are standard clothing sizes designed to fit women of shorter height, typically 160 cm (5'3") or less.

Jun 07 11 12:08 am Link

Model

Ashley Graham

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Mariska wrote:
Petite sizes

In fashion and clothing, petite sizes are standard clothing sizes designed to fit women of shorter height, typically 160 cm (5'3") or less.

He's right. The ideal weight depends on your body shape, for me it's 103-108 but I have DD boobs

Jun 07 11 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Keith S Photography

Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland, US

I think tone and shape are the factors, not a number. Don't really care what the scale says, I care what you look like. You can have a guy weigh 275 stacked muscle, and another guy same height is a fat ass.

Jun 07 11 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Keith S Photography

Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland, US

Ashley Graham wrote:

He's right. The ideal weight depends on your body shape, for me it's 103-108 but I have DD boobs

Yes you do! big_smile

Jun 07 11 12:27 am Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

I'd say it depends on what type of modeling you want to do. I have big boobs and I do glamour, but my D-cups definitely add weight.

Jun 07 11 12:27 am Link

Model

Mariska

I was looking for a guideline... estimates are fine... No point putting clothing sizes because they're different here in South Africa. I fit into a 30 Jeans but if I measure my hips it's 32. I am a 34D(measurement 33) - but that isn't in stone - still want to lose some weight. I'm 115lbs, but feel I have a long way to go. Wanted to set a goal and then evaluate from there..

.. if you can dream it - you can achieve it ..

Jun 07 11 12:31 am Link

Model

MandaSch

Secunda, Mpumalanga, South Africa

I'm about 5ft2 and i weigh 39.5kg (about 86.6 pounds) I think for your length in between 45-50kg since I'm a little underweight.

Jun 07 11 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Vanderplas

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Mariska wrote:
I am 5'3" and would like to know what the ideal weight is for a model that height.

Thank you smile

Watch your waist

24-25

Jun 07 11 12:46 am Link

Model

Birtie

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Mariska wrote:
Petite sizes

Models are held to different standards than people without that job.

Jun 07 11 12:48 am Link

Model

Birtie

90-100lbs. sounds great for your height.

Jun 07 11 12:51 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

considering the OP is pregnant, this is very strange post.

Jun 07 11 12:54 am Link

Model

Birtie

sdgillis wrote:
considering the OP is pregnant, this is very strange post.

That is strange... Best to just eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water to keep from gaining excess weight, OP. Don't try to lose it, though!

Jun 07 11 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Mariska wrote:
Petite sizes

Ahhh, the age-old problem of department stores. 

Here's the thing: Department Stores sell clothing for "Petites."  Fashion designers, on the other hand (occasionally --though not nearly as often as everyone on this site likes to think) create a petite line.

Petites in the department store are generally 4'11 - 5'3" (or thereabouts.)  This is purely a retail distinction. 

In the fashion world, "petite modeling" does not refer to models who can fit into clothing that is sold in Department Stores "Petites" departments.  "Petite Modeling" refers to models who can wear the fashions that designers create for THEIR "petite" line.  These models are generally between 5'6" or 5'7" and 5'9" - just below the height requirements for mainstream fashion modeling.

SO, at YOUR height, you are not (as was pointed out above) a "Petite Model" - but rather a model who happens to be short.

That said, there are NO firm weight requirements for a model at your height.  You should be healthy and in good shape.  Don't worry about your weight as you are not (nor will you ever be) in the category of models for whom height/weight/proportions are DO OR DIE.

Jun 07 11 02:22 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Mariska wrote:
Petite sizes

wikipedia has it wrong smile

Jun 07 11 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Marianne Michaela wrote:

wikipedia has it wrong smile

The beauty of relying on a website which derives its information from the public.  hmm

/end threadjack

Jun 07 11 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Taylor Emily wrote:
Just so you know, models under 5'5" aren't considered petite, they're considered short. The difference is petite models can work in lots of fields (other than fashion), but short models are even more limited.

Been a photographer twenty years, never heard a model referred to as a "Short Model". I've seen and heard the word, in relation to height, but never have I seen it as label.
Agencies like Elite, Storm, Models 1 etc, they have a culture of care around the model and simply would never use words like "short"  or "fat" or "skinny" to label their girls.

It's not the answer you want, but there is no rule about weight. It's how you look in front of the camera, not even how you look in real life.

Take Charlie Sheen as an example. Be yourself for God's sake, never pander to a stereotype or try to change yourself to get work. Believe in yourself and that you'll find the work out there.

Jun 07 11 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

Rollo David Snook wrote:

Been a photographer twenty years, never heard a model referred to as a "Short Model". I've seen and heard the word, in relation to height, but never have I seen it as label.
Agencies like Elite, Storm, Models 1 etc, they have a culture of care around the model and simply would never use words like "short"  or "fat" or "skinny" to label their girls.

It's not the answer you want, but there is no rule about weight. It's how you look in front of the camera, not even how you look in real life.

Take Charlie Sheen as an example. Be yourself for God's sake, never pander to a stereotype or try to change yourself to get work. Believe in yourself and that you'll find the work out there.

You're totally missing the point that Taylor is making.  It's one I've made many times before.  The OP is calling herself a "Petite Model" when, in fact, she is NOT a "petite model" as that term is defined by the industry.

It's similar to a heavy-set woman, who happens to model, calling herself a "Plus-Sized" model. 

These are very specific terms with very specific definitions within the real modeling industry. 

Both Taylor and I were correcting the OP, by pointing out that she should NOT refer to herself as a "Petite Model" when she does not meet the industry definition of that term.

We both use the term "short" as it is easier to type "short" than - "you're kinda average height, but not nearly tall enough to ever be considered for a real industry job with a major modeling agency."

Jun 07 11 03:46 am Link

Model

Mariska

I had my baby almost 2 years ago. Just haven't updated my portfolio in a long time.

Jun 07 11 04:42 am Link

Model

Mariska

South Africa has different standards for petite modeling. I have no problem modeling in the bigger cities here - take in account that not all models on MM are from America

Jun 07 11 04:43 am Link

Model

Mariska

and to clarify any confusion... I was using petite as to describe my body... I have petite features and bone structe.. I was not using petite as in "high fashion" model or "catalogue" model. I was using the question like asking what should a model do to look good in catalogue modeling - if I was going to appear in a catalogue

Jun 07 11 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

From the images that you have in your portfolio, I would say that you are height / weight proportionate.  There are too many factors to just throwing out a number of kilos someone should be.  For me, you look great as is, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Jun 07 11 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Mariska wrote:

Thank you smile

-50 lbs.  Yes!  you must have a negative weight and a negative size waist line, and then loose 10 pounds!  Ok, let's wait for the laughing to die down a bit, lol.  Ok, there is no number, there is no range.  Why?  Like the one other model said, some models have larger breasts than others, different proportions.

Jun 07 11 05:07 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Mariska wrote:
South Africa has different standards for petite modeling. I have no problem modeling in the bigger cities here - take in account that not all models on MM are from America

if you have no problem getting work and modelling jobs, then it is obvious that clients like you the way you are, which means the best weight for you is the one you have.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Jun 07 11 05:20 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Weight on a scale is bullshit. Take your measurements instead.

Weight is a good marker of size for people who live sedentary lifestyles and lack muscle tone. Not so good for very active people.

Jun 07 11 05:29 am Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

Mariska wrote:

Thank you smile

the answer is there is no answer.  weight is not a stat in modeling, size is a stat. 

if ideal weight/height proportion is important for your well being i would suggest seeing a nutritionist for guidelines.

Jun 07 11 05:47 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

There is no perfect weight for a specific height, whatever weight leaves you with the best muscle tone is the best, muscle weighs more than fat.

Jun 07 11 05:55 am Link

Model

Samantha Williamson

Altoona, Florida, US

Rollo David Snook wrote:

Great advice!!!

Jun 07 11 06:23 am Link

Model

Mickey Maurer

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It all depends on how you want to look.  If you do not want to tone up, then drop more than a few pounds.  If you want to tone up, then just drop a few pounds.  Your look is not about what the scale says but more about your size and body fat percentage.

Jun 07 11 06:26 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

LOL banner ad that just came up had to do with eating disorders big_smile

Jun 07 11 09:33 am Link

Model

Victoria MHP

Houston, Texas, US

Keith S Photography wrote:
I think tone and shape are the factors, not a number. Don't really care what the scale says, I care what you look like. You can have a guy weigh 275 stacked muscle, and another guy same height is a fat ass.

+1 This big_smile

Jun 07 11 09:35 am Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Seattle, Washington, US

Stephen Markman wrote:

You're totally missing the point that Taylor is making.  It's one I've made many times before.  The OP is calling herself a "Petite Model" when, in fact, she is NOT a "petite model" as that term is defined by the industry.

It's similar to a heavy-set woman, who happens to model, calling herself a "Plus-Sized" model. 

These are very specific terms with very specific definitions within the real modeling industry. 

Both Taylor and I were correcting the OP, by pointing out that she should NOT refer to herself as a "Petite Model" when she does not meet the industry definition of that term.

We both use the term "short" as it is easier to type "short" than - "you're kinda average height, but not nearly tall enough to ever be considered for a real industry job with a major modeling agency."

Yeah, this. I know nothing about the South African fashion industry, but Stephen and some other highly accomplished photographers can give you more information if you ask them nicely. I'm under the impression that while you can shoot fashion at different height/weights than is industry standard in small cities, you'll never be able to make money solely as a commercial/fashion model unless you break into the bigger industries. And when I say never I mean less than 1% of working models.

Jun 07 11 09:40 am Link

Model

VERA CHIMERA

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

as long as you're fit and healthy, who cares!

Jun 08 11 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Ciao Bella Media

Port Saint Lucie, Florida, US

First let it be a weight your healthy.  I would say 100-108 depending on your bone size or fitness regimen.

You'll always be shoot ready and not catch every bug blowing around the wind.

Jun 08 11 04:12 am Link

Model

Sonya Sofia

New York, New York, US

Stephen Markman wrote:

Ahhh, the age-old problem of department stores. 

Here's the thing: Department Stores sell clothing for "Petites."  Fashion designers, on the other hand (occasionally --though not nearly as often as everyone on this site likes to think) create a petite line.

Petites in the department store are generally 4'11 - 5'3" (or thereabouts.)  This is purely a retail distinction. 

In the fashion world, "petite modeling" does not refer to models who can fit into clothing that is sold in Department Stores "Petites" departments.  "Petite Modeling" refers to models who can wear the fashions that designers create for THEIR "petite" line.  These models are generally between 5'6" or 5'7" and 5'9" - just below the height requirements for mainstream fashion modeling.

SO, at YOUR height, you are not (as was pointed out above) a "Petite Model" - but rather a model who happens to be short.

That said, there are NO firm weight requirements for a model at your height.  You should be healthy and in good shape.  Don't worry about your weight as you are not (nor will you ever be) in the category of models for whom height/weight/proportions are DO OR DIE.

America's Next Top Model recently did a Petite Model's search and the height requirements for a "Petite Model" was 5'2 to 5'7.  On a side note, 5'9 is not below industry standards.  It is the perfect height for a high-fashion, typical, run-of-the-mill model, so I'm not sure what type of Amazonian woman you'd consider the right height for modeling.  There are no super models over 6'0 tall that I am aware of, as they are all between 5'8-5'10.  5'6-5'7 is a small window for a typical commercial model standard (even though some may be taller and some may even be shorter).  Anything under that, would be considered "Petite".  I've done my homework.  You are right about weight not being as much of an issue for the girls 5'6 and under in order to retain a womanly and non pre pubescent look.

Dec 07 11 09:26 pm Link

Model

Shai zaar

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

A ) Wikipidea is written by whoever wants to submit information - Just for heads up
B ) There is no such thing as "ideal weight" in my eyes - Doctors tell me im terribly  underweight for my height but I dont see me as looking unhealthy, when it comes to modeling its all about good proportions, and just overall healthy looking skin. Stick to a diet with plenty fruits and vegies, daily exercise, cut out white carbs and stick to low sugar and what that results in should be about right

Dec 07 11 09:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms Samantha Marie

San Francisco, California, US

Lady Lotus wrote:
90-100lbs. sounds great for your height.

Oh hell no.
I seriously hope no one 5'3" takes that advice or thinks they need to be 100lbs or less. I'm that height, and was a professional dancer allllllllll growing up (hardcore muscles & skinny ballerina) & my weight was usually 105-110.
TWO times in my life I went down to the 100/99lb mark & I was VERY SICK (two unrelated things) and had to end up in the hospital on medication. The second/ last time I was that low people thought I was doing crystal meth!

Note also the 105-110 weight was when I was dancing 4-6 hours a day, 6+ days a week, professionally. I doubt many models are training hard like that. Thin sure, sick no.
PLEASE DO NOT THINK THIS IS A SAFE WEIGHT!

Dec 07 11 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Mariska wrote:
Petite sizes

Fashion Industry standard petite runway models are 5'6" to 5' 7".

There is a difference between a "fashion petite model" and "petite sizing" the same as there is a difference in a "fashion plus size model" (US size 10-12 LA market/US size 12-14 NYC market -- as well as trim and proportional) and "plus sizing" (typically *not* trim and proportional).

At 5' 3", the ideal weight is that which establishes a trim and proportional figure that is easy to maintain and is *not* thin.

Dec 07 11 10:05 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Ms Samantha Marie wrote:

Oh hell no.
I seriously hope no one 5'3" takes that advice or thinks they need to be 100lbs or less. I'm that height, and was a professional dancer allllllllll growing up (hardcore muscles & skinny ballerina) & my weight was usually 105-110.
TWO times in my life I went down to the 100/99lb mark & I was VERY SICK (two unrelated things) and had to end up in the hospital on medication. The second/ last time I was that low people thought I was doing crystal meth!

Note also the 105-110 weight was when I was dancing 4-6 hours a day, 6+ days a week, professionally. I doubt many models are training hard like that. Thin sure, sick no.
PLEASE DO NOT THINK THIS IS A SAFE WEIGHT!

It may not be a safe weight for you, but that doesn't mean it's not a safe weight for anybody her height.  100 lbs is actually a very healthy weight for a lot of 5'3" women.  I work in medicine and get to see different shapes and sizes all the time.  You can take 2 women of the same height and weight, one of them can look disgustingly thin and unhealthy, the other can look great.  There is no general "ideal" weight for a a certain height.  You have to go by how you look, and more importantly, how you feel at a certain weight once you get there.  Even the BMI (body mass index) scale which is commonly used in medicine to determine healthy weight is wrong in many cases. An extremely muscular male with a six-pack will be "morbidly obese" according to the BMI on some occasions.  It's impossible to make an accurate guide for ideal weight, not even doctors can do it. There are too many differences in an individuals shape, anatomy, muscle tone, etc for anybody to be making blanket statements like " 100 lbs is never healthy for anyone 5'3" in  height.

Dec 08 11 03:31 pm Link