Forums > General Industry > What makes a bad model?

Wardrobe Stylist

heybabyusa

Los Angeles, California, US

Seems like everyone's so nice and never tells the ones that have no business to be in this business to stay in this business! So, let me ask you all this - what qualities do you think make up a terrible model?

Here's my 2 cts -

No Self-Awareness

Aug 09 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

a model who doesn't do nudes ..!!!

Aug 09 05 08:55 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Gullibility.

Aug 09 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

to much self awarness, not enough emotion

Aug 09 05 09:06 pm Link

Model

Lola Babalon

Seattle, Washington, US

Irresponsibility (no-showing, showing up drunk/high/sleep deprived) and over-inflated ego. Just because someone's taking pictures of you doesn't give you the right to act like a prima donna!

Aug 09 05 09:07 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

Louis Braga wrote:

hmmm

Aug 09 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

How about "what makes a GREAT model?" There are many here and it seems a more positive approach.

Aug 09 05 09:34 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Louis Braga wrote:

well-that's a rather controversial view.......i hope you pay those girls well-cuz anyone who does nudity for free is a little desperate for attention.

Aug 09 05 09:40 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

heybabyusa

Patrick - well, i know there are a lot of great models on this site, but it seems like there are so many generic things that everyone says about great models - beautiful, fun, outgoing . . . blah blah blah . . . . i wanted to tap into the supressed thoughts we all had at least once about a model!

Aug 09 05 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

I had to think about this one....

a model that I don't enjoy working with is one that can't be themselves - there were a few that I worked with that just had this 'image' in their head of how they should act or something and I found it really difficult to get comfortable with them...like they were there just to humor me or something....those same models didn't have that much to 'bring to the table' either..you know?

Julia

Aug 09 05 10:01 pm Link

Model

Dana Juarez

Chicago, Illinois, US

Aug 09 05 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What makes a bad model?
Someone who shows up a day late and then late to the shoot,
someone who drives 5 hrs to get to the shoot only to change their mind and want to go home and then demand gas money! Someone who blatently lies about her experience to make herself out to be the victim when she clearly made the decision to cancel her shoot and go home.
Someone who clearly states"you either like me or hate me, either is fine with me" beware of JESKAV MM #14909

Aug 09 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

riosun

Harlingen, Texas, US

"anyone who does nudity for free is a little desperate for attention."

Some models pose nude for free because they want to help create something. They want to work with a photographer to create a beautiful image.

It's the difference between somebody who looks at this as an art and those just hoping to make a buck.

Try not to put a price on everything. You'll live a happier life.

Aug 09 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

Not versatile.

Aug 09 05 11:02 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

a bad model is someone who thinks there to good for their own good....

Aug 09 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Models who start off looking great and caring about their image......and then after a few paying gigs, slut or skank out and let their image to the wind, (they DON`T even have to get naked to do this BTW)

Image is EVERYTHING.......some models don`t care, they shoot with any photographer just so they have some pictures

Every model has HER own destiny in her own hands it`s not the photographer`s it`s just the one`s SHE chooses to work with that`s all

Aug 09 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

• a person who does not know how their body looks in a mirror
• one who is not aware of their own body/self aware
• one who cannot make more than one expression with their face
• one who shows up late to everything
• one who double books
• one who doesn't confirm or call or ask questions
• one who does not invest in a wardrobe of clothing styles for the type of work they are looking to get paid work in
• one who believes they are going to make you portfolio and that their image will get you all the work you need
• one who believes that since they are in the picture they therefore own the image and can do what they want with it
• one who thinks their body type can do photos and styles of photos it was not made for
• one who believes they have all the right answers and will not be open to direction

Sorry, I was sipp'n on some STRONG hater-aid. But these are the points that I touch upon about models when talking to other photographers. Luckily I have never had a few of these traits in only a few models I have ever shot. I hear allot of them from othher photographers.

Aug 09 05 11:16 pm Link

Model

Desiree Annetoinette

Those who are in it for themselves, instead of being about the creation of true photographic artistry!

MUSES RULE!

Aug 09 05 11:20 pm Link

Model

Desiree Annetoinette

Great check-list!  A list that true models know by heart as the no-no's in this business.

Aug 09 05 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gothic Films

Yorba Linda, California, US

I think good rapport is an essential, yet intangible quality that is present in the great models.  It is something you will likely notice in its absence.

Aug 10 05 03:20 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

heybabyusa

House of Indulgence wrote:
• a person who does not know how their body looks in a mirror
• one who is not aware of their own body/self aware
• one who cannot make more than one expression with their face
• one who shows up late to everything
• one who double books
• one who doesn't confirm or call or ask questions
• one who does not invest in a wardrobe of clothing styles for the type of work they are looking to get paid work in
• one who believes they are going to make you portfolio and that their image will get you all the work you need
• one who believes that since they are in the picture they therefore own the image and can do what they want with it
• one who thinks their body type can do photos and styles of photos it was not made for
• one who believes they have all the right answers and will not be open to direction

Sorry, I was sipp'n on some STRONG hater-aid. But these are the points that I touch upon about models when talking to other photographers. Luckily I have never had a few of these traits in only a few models I have ever shot. I hear allot of them from othher photographers.

Wow! just the answer I was looking for! I find it hilarious that a model actually got called out! There should be a black list, huh?

Aug 10 05 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

pamela mars wrote:
well-that's a rather controversial view.......i hope you pay those girls well-cuz anyone who does nudity for free is a little desperate for attention.

You couldn't be more wrong.  I happen to work with many models who do nude/fetish/erotic work TFP and most of them are more passionate, more creative and more thoughtful than all the "fashionistas" around here.   If you don't wish to do nudes "for free" that's fine, but to impeach everyone who does as "desperate" says more about how you view nudity/sexuality than it says about the people I've worked with.

Besides, what model dosen't want attention?  Isn't that kind of the point?

Aug 10 05 06:41 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

A model who does not respect you enough to reply back to you that she is either NOT INTERESTED, IS NOT GOING TO SHOOT with you or that I will be late getting to the shoot.

Then when you call and leave messages you do not get any kind of reply back.  Bad model.  bad model indeed.  bs

Aug 10 05 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Geoff H

South Holland, Illinois, US

Hmm, let's see-

These are my favorite pet peeves-

Committing a no-show.   Don't show up, don't call.

Committing a last minute cancellation one too many times.

Talking on the cell phone during the shoot when they are supposed to work.   

Clockwatching.  They focus on how time before they can get paid and leave and not focus on doing their job instead.

Laziness-  Not being prepared, no motivation, no enthusiasm either.

Models asking for a lot of money when they do not have the experience that would justify they rates they are asking for.

Attitude problems.  Please leave the attitude at the door.  Some models have to realize that if they have a regular job and they yell at their boss, they won't have a job much longer.  Respect goes both ways.

Game playing, especially when it comes to stating conditions in the release form at the end of a shoot.   If you have conditions, then it always best to let me know upfront before any shoot is set up and not even try to make changes at the end.  That's just not a professional way of doing business.  And I absolutely HATE this more than anything.  I do not want to ever work with models who do that.

Aug 10 05 09:09 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

pamela mars wrote:

I guess I must be desperate for attention, because I'll shoot nudes TFP if I like the photographer's work and think we can produce strong images.

Aug 10 05 09:25 am Link