Forums > Critique > Im a new photographer.

Photographer

KatieRoseMason

Shildon, England, United Kingdom

I bought my camera about 18 months ago. Doing a shoot here and there, then i went mad this summer.
I want to do a course in it but im not sure what to do. Am I any good?

Nov 17 11 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Dante Dauz

Los Angeles, California, US

Beautiful images, good composition...are you yanking my chain and just fishing for compliments?  Yes, you need to keep taking great images.

Nov 17 11 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Lauren A Farrington

Sunderland, Massachusetts, US

Dante Dauz wrote:
Beautiful images, good composition...are you yanking my chain and just fishing for compliments?  Yes, you need to keep taking great images.

for real. you're doing really, really well for someone who's only been at this for a little over a year. you've already developed your own style and aesthetic, your post work is good...just keep doing what you're doing.
you want to take a class? go for it. it might force you to challenge yourself a bit, as well as teaching you more of the ins and outs of your camera.

edit: upon further inspection, I would suggest laying off the vignette a bit; it's somewhat heavy in some of your images which comes off as a little tacky. but I really like the colors of your images.

Nov 17 11 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Ken Sanville Photo

Louisville, Colorado, US

Your images are really fantastic. Very creative. I would back off on the fuzzy editing a bit. Just keep shooting and pushing the envelope. ! am impressed.

Nov 17 11 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

Nice composition and feeling in your work. Very nice. I like the coloring in post but as some have mentioned the vignetting and "fuzzy editing" could use a better approach. Not sure if lack of perceived sharpness is an issue of post or extended exposure or lens quality or combination of both.  The good thing is those can be corrected in time. A eye is much harder to pick up.

Nov 17 11 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Jessica-Dee

Chester, England, United Kingdom

I think your work is great, you have some stunning images in your portfolio however I do feel like you're using the same techniques over and over.
It gets a tad boring towards the end of your portfolio just because you know exacty what the next image will look like before you've even seen it! It's not that the images aren't really good, just that they're very similar to the last one you looked at (different models, granted.)

Maybe try some new things out, some new finishing effects in post?

Also, about the course. I am studying a photography degree at the moment and I really haven't found it that useful for this line of work. There's a lot of learning about photographers that died 3000 years ago and not much actual photography practise. A girl I know put it well, "After spending nearly £30,000 on this, I would at least like to know how to use my camera."

I feel like I've learned more from this site paying £4 a month for 18months than a £7000 year at university. Obviously theres more courses than degrees, I'd suggest looking into those first.

Nov 17 11 11:54 am Link

Model

deletedanderased

Berat, Berat, Albania

holy, at first i was expecting a GWC or just another average photog.
You have talent!!

Love your style

Nov 17 11 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

KC King

Brea, California, US

Good stuff!

Nov 17 11 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jessica-Dee wrote:
Also, about the course. I am studying a photography degree at the moment and I really haven't found it that useful for this line of work. There's a lot of learning about photographers that died 3000 years ago and not much actual photography practice. A girl I know put it well, "After spending nearly £30,000 on this, I would at least like to know how to use my camera."

The best photography programs and classes put you in a room with a bunch of talented people and you improve by having to bring in new work every week and critique.  Art history classes are useful for developing you vocabulary (literally and figuratively) The main thing you get from school that you will not get from books is being surrounded by people who are learning and pushing each other, and most importantly it gets you contacts.  If you want to be a commercial  shooter contacts are more important than anything.  The program I was in was very intensive with shooting and printing (it was the early 90s) and also classroom.  I had several classes where the whole semester we had to choose one project and bring in new work on that project to be critiqued every week...

this is getting long and boring... sorry.

any way OP you have a good eye.  classes can't hurt, if you go to a full program be aggressive, take a lot of pictures, make friends so that you have a community when you get out of school (make friends in the design department the successful design students will be involved in hiring photographers)

Nov 17 11 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Claude Vorgeack

It looks like you're using Lightroom? The fill and blacks seem cranked pretty high, as is the vignetting. In general, the post is a little heavy-handed.

I'm not a fan of wide angle, close up portraits, but that's a matter of taste.

You're off to a great start. Good eye for framing and composition. Creative. Work with better and better models...It helps the final image and pushes you to do better work.

Nov 17 11 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Geoff Jones

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I don't like the vignetting on a lot of your images. Some great concepts but your post work is too harsh, and need to work on skin retouching.

Nov 17 11 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

curtis wood

Logan, Utah, US

good work

Nov 17 11 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

RogerLeonPhoto

Tucson, Arizona, US

You've done more in 18 months than I've done since 2004.  But seriously, stop fishing for compliments it's unbecoming of anyone really.

Nov 17 11 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

I like your eye and your delivery. Some very creative and well shot images in your port! Nice work, definitely keep growing and reaching for more as you do. I really like this:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 5#25857852

smile

Nov 17 11 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Really nice work, well done. smile

Nov 17 11 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

RogerLeonPhoto wrote:
You've done more in 18 months than I've done since 2004.  But seriously, stop fishing for compliments it's unbecoming of anyone really.

Maybe it's a bit unusual but if the OP has only owned a camera for 18 months why did she open a photographer's account 10 months earlier than that? I think she is fishing for compliments more so than being honest about her time with camera and post edit work. OP I think you forgot to look at your joined date before you posted this.

Nov 17 11 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

romanotron

Santa Monica, California, US

To my eye I think you have one really good shot:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 3#25857623

Of course this is just my worthless opinion smile  The rest of them are nice, but without the color tones applied to the images I don't think they are there yet.

Your shots mostly fall under the category of "quirky girl in interesting location with soft color tone", which of course is a wildly popular style these days done to very great effect by many photogs, what with the hipstamatics and PS filters, etc.  Off the top of my head one guy here on MM named Keyamo comes to mind who does this very well (https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/371181/viewall).  He loads up on color tone, post processing, bokeh, etc. all to what I consider very good effect.

I find his images to be a step above in terms of composition, styling, and feel.  He picks fantastic models that have a lot of intensity, and his style is well defined with a common implied narrative.  I find his balance and composition to be outstanding.  And you can see in his port the evolution of his post processing work as well, which should be a nice progression study for you.

I agree with the previous comment about the wide angle portraits being something to watch out for.  I would not go wider than 20mm.  Try 50mm if you can and see what it does to your sense of composition.

I also agree about the vignettes and blacks being too dark, too intense.  Bring the shadows/darks up a bit when you apply a color wash.  And ease up on the vignetting - ideally they should be just a hint, not so harsh.

I think you are on a wonderful path.  Keep experimenting, be critical of your own work, and keep trying to get better.

Class is probably worth more on your resume and for networking.  Just take the work habits you develop and the friends/contacts you make and integrate them into your craft and you should do well.

Keep on keepin' on...

Nov 18 11 01:26 am Link

Photographer

BDQMedia LLC

Atlanta, Georgia, US

KatieRoseMason wrote:
I bought my camera about 18 months ago. Doing a shoot here and there, then i went mad this summer.

You joined this site Jul 18, 2009, were you a model before and they changed your profile type to photographer?

Nov 18 11 01:53 am Link

Photographer

KatieRoseMason

Shildon, England, United Kingdom

Ph i am sorry about the dates. I have only been taking photos properyl since june 2010. I joined this site beforehand in an attempt to get models to work for me. As i had about 4 photos of the cat which were then removed, I was quite unsucessful . I bought the SLR about 2010.
I dont mean to fish for compliments. Its just I did have a critique on purestorm before and they ripped me to shreads!!!! This was a couple of years back I think though. I thought I was brilliant at the time. Not one nice comment at all! And they were all GWC's. Which yes, slightly pissed me off a bit.

Nov 18 11 08:03 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

KatieRoseMason wrote:
I dont mean to fish for compliments. Its just I did have a critique on purestorm before and they ripped me to shreads!!!! This was a couple of years back I think though. I thought I was brilliant at the time. Not one nice comment at all! And they were all GWC's. Which yes, slightly pissed me off a bit.

Here's the critique you're referring to which doesn't seem too bad to me - and trust me I've seen a few there where people have really been ripped to shreds:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThre … 47&start=1

But I agree, all those that commented are outrageous GWCs big_smile

Nov 18 11 11:17 am Link

Photographer

BDQMedia LLC

Atlanta, Georgia, US

KatieRoseMason wrote:
Ph i am sorry about the dates. I have only been taking photos properyl since june 2010. I joined this site beforehand in an attempt to get models to work for me. As i had about 4 photos of the cat which were then removed, I was quite unsucessful . I bought the SLR about 2010.

Your voice in your photos is clearly defined and appears to me unique. I have enjoyed the view, thank you.

Nov 18 11 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

romanotron

Santa Monica, California, US

KatieRoseMason wrote:
I thought I was brilliant at the time.

I don't care how good anyone is, one should never think they are brilliant.  Let other people tell you.  But don't believe them.

Any self-respecting artist will hate anything they do shortly after they are finished with it smile  Did I say self-respecting?  I meant self-loathing.  One and the same.

Nov 18 11 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

KatieRoseMason wrote:

OP:  Do you want real critique?

Nov 18 11 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Christine

London, England, United Kingdom

Beautiful images so I'll focus on the two that stuck out in a bad way against your port
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111117/09/4ec549a5704ca_m.jpg
- The face is way too edited, it's lost all it's texture... tone down on that and rely more on your natural skill (and your models beauty!)

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111117/09/4ec54adf55e13_m.jpg

The pen, scythe thing is a visual interruption and it takes away from the image. I found myself only trying to work out what it was instead of looking at the image (I originally thought your model had a really weird ribcage/arm). That's not a good thing.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111116/03/4ec39ae67f5d3_m.jpg
Same as this one if that thing over her mouth is a brush you should tone it down.

Otherwise keep it up.
How's Duram for psychology? I'm going to Liverpool for Psychology I think.

But have you been doing it for 18 months or a couple years?

This was a couple of years back I think though. I thought I was brilliant at the time.

Not that I'm bothered but I am interested if you've been doing it for 18 months because your images are v. good.

Nov 18 11 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

Lauren A Farrington wrote:
upon further inspection, I would suggest laying off the vignette a bit; it's somewhat heavy in some of your images which comes off as a little tacky. but I really like the colors of your images.

+1

Nov 18 11 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

OP....2009 you joined at photographer on MM...today is 2011. How new are you?

Nov 18 11 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Christine

London, England, United Kingdom

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111116/03/4ec399eebe69f_m.jpg

I'm not really sure why you have this in your port is it not essentially a photo sharing thing? Or do you have it because it was approved by a Vogue Moderator? What are you trying to say with it?

Nov 18 11 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

mgburke

Charlottesville, Virginia, US

you getting there but please please please stop with the vignettes

Nov 18 11 04:50 pm Link

Model

Samantha Scarlette

New York, New York, US

If you lived near me, I'd want to shoot with you! I love the colors and lighting to your shots!

Nov 18 11 05:36 pm Link