Forums > General Industry > Photographing a Press Conference...

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Just got a call for a type of shoot I've never done before. $150 for one hour of photographing a press conference of some congressman here in Detroit and former Mayor of NY, Guiliani at Comerica Park.

Have any of you done any work like this? Any tips you can throw me?

Oct 03 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Bring a monopod. Bring a long lens. Don't plan to use a flash.

Oct 03 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

jcrainey

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Ched wrote:

I agree with Ched. But acquire as much info as possible about the location. But do bring your flash just in case it is allowed. Hopefully whoever is hiring you has made arrangements for you to have a press pass. Always take your flash with you for the meet and greet shots. The hand shake shots. Arrive as early as possible. Because even if you are issued a press pass, you still need to get a good spot for the best shots. Though some other photographers may show you some courtesy, be prepared for some photographers jumping in front of you to get the best shot. Even bumping you as you are about to snap. It happens such events.

Oct 03 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Ched wrote:

Gotcha'. Thanks!

I've never been to a press conference. Lol... What should I expect? Will I be off to the side, in the back...?

Oct 03 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I am a press photographer and I recommend to bring a flash, maybe having two cameras ready with two different ranges (one close up, one zoom).

You are shooting outdoors, so, you may have good lighting.

Since you are there on assignment, get press credentials and ask the person who is giving you the assignment if there is anything that they want you to cover specifically, besides the speech of the politician (e.g. the crowd, shot from an angle that shows the profile of the politician and captures the audience, etc.).

You've got to be able to move around to capture different angles, and because of the mobility issue in a crowd, I do not recommend a monopod.

Hope that helps.

Oct 03 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

jcrainey wrote:

I agree with Ched. But acquire as much info as possible about the location. But do bring your flash just in case it is allowed. Hopefully whoever is hiring you has made arrangements for you to have a press pass. Always take your flash with you for the meet and greet shots. The hand shake shots. Arrive as early as possible. Because even if you are issued a press pass, you still need to get a good spot for the best shots. Though some other photographers may show you some courtesy, be prepared for some photographers jumping in front of you to get the best shot. Even bumping you as you are about to snap. It happens such events.

The gal who called me works for the congressman. So, I'm sure I'll be covered with the press pass. I'm supposed to meet them before and they'll go over the details with me. But I'm still trying to get an idea beforehand of what I'll be doing.

Oct 03 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

UdoR wrote:
I am a press photographer and I recommend to bring a flash, maybe having two cameras ready with two different ranges (one close up, one zoom).

You are shooting outdoors, so, you may have good lighting.

Since you are there on assignment, get press credentials and ask the person who is giving you the assignment if there is anything that they want you to cover specifically, besides the speech of the politician (e.g. the crowd, shot from an angle that shows the profile of the politician and captures the audience, etc.).

You've got to be able to move around to capture different angles, and because of the mobility issue in a crowd, I do not recommend a monopod.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, UdoR. smile

Oct 03 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Rossi Photography wrote:

The gal who called me works for the congressman. So, I'm sure I'll be covered with the press pass. I'm supposed to meet them before and they'll go over the details with me. But I'm still trying to get an idea beforehand of what I'll be doing.

Excellent!

This also means that you have the priority over most other photographers there. Make sure that the security personell is aware that you are shooting for the congressman's office.

So, if other photographers push in front of you, you've got to show authority and let tell them that you work for the congressman! Be firm, but polite.

Have fun, I love those assignments more than fashion... to be frank...

Oct 03 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

UdoR wrote:

Excellent!

This also means that you have the priority over most other photographers there. Make sure that the security personell is aware that you are shooting for the congressman's office.

So, if other photographers push in front of you, you've got to show authority and let tell them that you work for the congressman! Be firm, but polite.

Have fun, I love those assignments more than fashion... to be frank...

Cool. I was getting a little nerve wracked about it, because I just got the call an hour ago and the press conference is tomorrow. But I'm looking forward to it now. Thank you for putting my nerves at ease. Lol... smile

Oct 03 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Every time I've ever done a job like that I wind up walking right up to the podium or onto the stage and flashing away for a long as I can. As long as you stay out of the TV camera line of fire you should be fine. The still guys sitting down low will hate you but who cares. If you have an ID badge the security guys will leave you alone as well. A good tactic after the speech is over is to lightly grab the politico by the elbow and tell him you need several close up candids. If you're firm he won't suspect you don't have the authority and it gets you closer to the action when he's glad handing, which is where the best shots come from. No guts, no glory.

Oct 03 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Rossi Photography wrote:
Just got a call for a type of shoot I've never done before. $150 for one hour of photographing a press conference of some congressman here in Detroit and former Mayor of NY, Guiliani at Comerica Park.

Have any of you done any work like this? Any tips you can throw me?

Political press conferences are my bread and butter -- I shoot several every week, and have probably shot nearly a thousand of them in the last couple of years, in every possible venue, under every conceivable circumstance.

I typically shoot with two bodies -- one with a 70-200 zoom, one with a 24-70. I don't recall a single press conference ever restricting the usage of flash. Not one. Personally, I like to avoid flash if it isn't necessary, but I end up using them pretty often.

I guess I've seen other photogs using monopods -- but mostly with 300 f/2.8 lenses. I never use one -- you want to be free to move around and get different angles, and these things can be really crowded. Deploy a monopod in a crowded press conference and somebody is likely to wrap it around your head. Well, not really, but you'll cause a lot of eyeball rolling in your general direction.

Credentials are a theoretical issue to me. Typically, at a press conference, they try to accomodate anybody who looks like they should be there. If you look like you don't belong, you're likely to get a polite inquiry about who you are shooting for. If your answer doesn't cut it, there will be more questions, and you could be thrown out. In your case, you're shooting for a congressman who is present at the event, so worst case they'll go over to his advance person and verify your story. Yours will check out so everything will be fine.

Most still photographers will be courteous and will try to be conscious of not blocking your shots and so forth. Returning that courtesy is a good idea, particularly if you plan to do this more than once! All bets are off on the video guys -- they're there representing GOD, and they'll do whatever it takes to get their shot, including elbowing you out of the way. In any case, it's a good idea to get there early and get a good spot. Most of the press will show up at the last minute. Typically the video guys set up at the back of the room or location, and the still guys fill in at the front and on the sides. Try not to get boxed into a spot you can't move from, because, you will want to move around to get different angles.

In terms of WHAT to shoot, will, that's where you earn your money. Most editors will look at you with pity and disgust if you deliver a bunch of podium shots and grip and grins. Yes, you need to take the podium shots to CYA, but it's the few moments immediately before and after the actual event that really count. Catch moments of interaction between participants -- maybe they're looking at a chart or some props that have been provided. I like to get "walking shots" as the politician walks into the room and through the crowd. At the end, your guy will probably do an impromptu question and answer session with some of the media. This is a great chance to capture some emotion and get him looking all presidential and shit.

Think about the context of the shoot -- if there are several principles present who the story revolves around, try to capture them all in the same frame. Make your photo tell the story of the event. The better a job you do, the more likely you are to be asked to do this kind of stuff again.

The best advice I can give you is to say that most press conferences are deadly boring -- and there are typically VERY brief moments of interesting activity. Typically, you will have literally one or two seconds to get the money shot. This is what separates the really good shooters from the hacks -- the ability to capture a magic moment in a way that is technically good and artistically interesting.

Have fun!

Paul

Oct 03 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Political press conferences are my bread and butter -- I shoot several every week, and have probably shot nearly a thousand of them in the last couple of years, in every possible venue, under every conceivable circumstance.

I typically shoot with two bodies -- one with a 70-200 zoom, one with a 24-70. I don't recall a single press conference ever restricting the usage of flash. Not one. Personally, I like to avoid flash if it isn't necessary, but I end up using them pretty often.

I guess I've seen other photogs using monopods -- but mostly with 300 f/2.8 lenses. I never use one -- you want to be free to move around and get different angles, and these things can be really crowded. Deploy a monopod in a crowded press conference and somebody is likely to wrap it around your head. Well, not really, but you'll cause a lot of eyeball rolling in your general direction.

Credentials are a theoretical issue to me. Typically, at a press conference, they try to accomodate anybody who looks like they should be there. If you look like you don't belong, you're likely to get a polite inquiry about who you are shooting for. If your answer doesn't cut it, there will be more questions, and you could be thrown out. In your case, you're shooting for a congressman who is present at the event, so worst case they'll go over to his advance person and verify your story. Yours will check out so everything will be fine.

Most still photographers will be courteous and will try to be conscious of not blocking your shots and so forth. Returning that courtesy is a good idea, particularly if you plan to do this more than once! All bets are off on the video guys -- they're there representing GOD, and they'll do whatever it takes to get their shot, including elbowing you out of the way. In any case, it's a good idea to get there early and get a good spot. Most of the press will show up at the last minute. Typically the video guys set up at the back of the room or location, and the still guys fill in at the front and on the sides. Try not to get boxed into a spot you can't move from, because, you will want to move around to get different angles.

In terms of WHAT to shoot, will, that's where you earn your money. Most editors will look at you with pity and disgust if you deliver a bunch of podium shots and grip and grins. Yes, you need to take the podium shots to CYA, but it's the few moments immediately before and after the actual event that really count. Catch moments of interaction between participants -- maybe they're looking at a chart or some props that have been provided. I like to get "walking shots" as the politician walks into the room and through the crowd. At the end, your guy will probably do an impromptu question and answer session with some of the media. This is a great chance to capture some emotion and get him looking all presidential and shit.

Think about the context of the shoot -- if there are several principles present who the story revolves around, try to capture them all in the same frame. Make your photo tell the story of the event. The better a job you do, the more likely you are to be asked to do this kind of stuff again.

The best advice I can give you is to say that most press conferences are deadly boring -- and there are typically VERY brief moments of interesting activity. Typically, you will have literally one or two seconds to get the money shot. This is what separates the really good shooters from the hacks -- the ability to capture a magic moment in a way that is technically good and artistically interesting.

Have fun!

Paul

Best advice you could have,what he said.

Oct 03 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Thanks, everyone! smile

I'll let y'all know how it went when I get home tomorrow.

Oct 03 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Well, the press conference was pretty cool. I liked it. I think I did pretty good. Except I felt way underdressed! I wore jeans, a nice top and heels, while everyone was in VERY proper attire. Next time, I think I'll dress a little better. But who cares about that! Photo, right!

There were a few instances I felt like paparazzi. Lol...

I was given main priority over the other photogs there, so it was cool. There was one dude who kept trying to block me, but I remembered, 'no guts, no glory' and took my place. smile

Mayor Guiliani and Congressman/Sheriff Michael Bouchard talked with Elementary school kids at the new Comerica Park/Tigers Stadium about 9/11. Then announced the new Comerica, gave a little speach about it. Then I was taken outside and had to get shots of Guiliani and Bouchard  interacting with the kids.

Here's a few shots.... How'd I do for my first 'press conference'?

EDIT: Took photos down. Didn't plan on leaving them posted very long. Nobody cared to give any input, anyway. So, now they're gone. Lol... tongue

Oct 04 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Nevermind.

Oct 04 06 08:56 pm Link