Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why is nudity a sin?

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

South Salt Lake, Utah, US

This is a serious question.
This is not directed at any one model as I have had about 3 or 4 models reply to my inquiries about nude modeling and they reply saying "I don't pose nude because I'm Christian".

But I have photographed quite a few "Christian" models in the nude. So if it is against the Christian belief to pose nude, why are there models that ARE Christian posing nude?

Are they sinning?

Jan 15 12 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

Ofu, Manu'a, American Samoa

New Kidd Imagery wrote:
This is not directed at any one model as I have had about 3 or 4 models reply to my inquiries about nude modeling and they reply saying "I don't pose nude because I'm Christian".

But I have photographed quite a few "Christian" models in the nude. So if it is against the Christian belief to pose nude, why are there models that ARE Christian posing nude?

Are they sinning?

It isn't.

Jan 15 12 09:54 am Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

If you are modeling at all... You are sinning.

Because someone some where is looking at your image or images 'lusting' for you. it doesn't matter if you are clothed or nude, in a swimsuit or underwear. Some guy (maybe even a girl)  is looking at you saying "Oooo mama!"

I have said this in many of these types of threads.

It isn't the nudity that makes modeling a sin or the photographing of said model a sin... it is the intent behind the creation that makes it a sin.

No where in the Bible will you see where it says "If you see a girl/boy naked before you are married to them, you are going to hell"
There IS however a lot of talk about lust and keeping lust out of your heart.

That being said. I cannot control what others see in my photos and I'm not going to try and control that.

I have even run into some models that think "It's OK if I turn on a guy as long as I don't do it when I'm naked/scantily clad"...

Anyway the point of my posting is it is sad that some people cannot separate their lust for the human form from simple nudity.

As there are a lot of professions out there that ARE Christian and HAVE to deal with nudity.

I cannot be a good OBGYN and be Christian.. I'd be sinning looking at vaginas all day.
I cannot be a good a doctor that performs mammograms and be Christian.. I'd be sinning looking at boobs all day.

So I don't know why a photographer cannot see someone naked but a doctor CAN see someone naked where the photographer might be sinning and the doctor is not.. they both are seeing the same thing.

Which sort of goes back to the modeling thing... "As long as I am not naked when I turn them on.. then it's OK"... well.. what happens if you turn the doctor on?.. you sinned because you were naked when you turned him on. Sort of ridiculous don't you think?

Jan 15 12 09:55 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

Christians don't agree on things

as noted by Alexander the Great.

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

wrong section for a religion post.

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

291 wrote:
wrong section for a religion post.

I thought you had to post an opinion to post in the Soap Box..

I have no opinion on the matter. Just a question.

Jan 15 12 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Selective "sinning" on a individual basis comes to mind...

Jan 15 12 10:01 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

New Kidd Imagery wrote:

Are they sinning?

Different people have different viewpoints on the same matter.  That's true of Christians, Atheists, etc.

Jan 15 12 10:04 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

Cherrystone wrote:
Selective "sinning" on a individual basis comes to mind...

Ah... "Everyone has their favorite sins".

It's Ok to have X Sin, but to do Y Sin would be unthinkable. Nice input.

Jan 15 12 10:05 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have family members who identify as conservative Christians. They would say it is not the nudity  -in and of itself- that is wrong, but the "pride" associated with encouraging other people to photograph you.

At least for my own family, and their particular interpretation of Christianity, it is the lack of humility, and overt vanity, associated with modeling (in any form) that makes it offensive to them.

I have an aunt who has never been photographed in her life. I was raised in a somewhat secular household, but aunts, uncles and cousins are mostly fundamentalists. They are all about keeping humble, living a humble life, and acting in a way that does not promote vain, or attention-seeking behavior.

Jan 15 12 10:06 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

Extreme Body Art wrote:
If you are modeling at all... You are sinning.

[Snip]

I cannot be a good OBGYN and be Christian.. I'd be sinning looking at vaginas all day.
I cannot be a good a doctor that performs mammograms and be Christian.. I'd be sinning looking at boobs all day.

So I don't know why a photographer cannot see someone naked but a doctor CAN see someone naked where the photographer might be sinning and the doctor is not.. they both are seeing the same thing.

Which sort of goes back to the modeling thing... "As long as I am not naked when I turn them on.. then it's OK"... well.. what happens if you turn the doctor on?.. you sinned because you were naked when you turned him on. Sort of ridiculous don't you think?

I can see that, I haven't read the Bible.. so I will have to take your word for that.
Interesting thought though.

Jan 15 12 10:07 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

yeah
... cause it say so in bible

if god want people nude he woulda makes 'em dit way

Jan 15 12 10:08 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Maybe because some people see their religion as encompassing their whole morals and values set.  To them, their religion is a lifestyle.  If you are part of a group, and that group has expectations of certain behavior i.e., girls don't pose nude, then one would tend to connect that to their religious beliefs. If a girl poses nude, they will be ostracized from that group, so she adheres to the expectations of the group.

Jan 15 12 10:08 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

ShivaKitty wrote:
I have family members who identify as conservative Christians. They would say it is not the nudity  -in and of itself- that is wrong, but the "pride" associated with encouraging other people to photograph you.

At least for my own family, and their particular interpretation of Christianity, it is the lack of humility, and overt vanity, associated with modeling (in any form) that makes it offensive to them.

I have an aunt who has never been photographed in her life. I was raised in a somewhat secular household, but aunts, uncles and cousins are mostly fundamentalists. They are all about keeping humble, living a humble life, and acting in a way that does not promote vain, or attention-seeking behavior.

So in your family it's a "vanity" thing that is the sin.
Nudity has nothing to do with it.

Sort of goes back to what Extreme Body Art said that "All models are sinning".

Jan 15 12 10:09 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

Mo Rina wrote:
Maybe because some people see their religion as encompassing their whole morals and values set.  To them, their religion is a lifestyle.  If you are part of a group, and that group has expectations of certain behavior i.e., girls don't pose nude, then one would tend to connect that to their religious beliefs. If a girl poses nude, they will be ostracized from that group, so she adheres to the expectations of the group.

So the way I read that is that it's not actually the religion that says nudity is bad. It is the people with in the religion that says it is bad.

Jan 15 12 10:13 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Lust is as much as a sin as greed.
Getting a hard on for a picture of a model is about as sinful as salivating at a picture of a roast chicken.
Modelling nude is not necessarily about sexuality.
Modelling fully clothed can be about sexuality.
Examples non sexual nudity:
Warning 18 plus:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/0 … b55773.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/364 … 7272_o.jpg

I would go as far as saying there is something wrong with anyone who gets a hard on for those.
However; these are non nude and are designed to be sexually arousing:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 6c20cd.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6213/6241 … 52fd_z.jpg

So nudity is not necessarily designed to provoke lust but it is perfectly possible to provoke lust when clothed.
Neither are a sin to anybody capable of rational thought. Which may prevent a few fundamental Christians from understanding.

As I said; a picture of a chicken will make you salivate but that doesn't mean you are greedy unless it provokes you to go and steal your next door neighbours chicken or eat someone elses portion. And you can't blame that on the picture.

Jan 15 12 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Eliza C wrote:
Getting a hard on for a picture of a model is about as sinful as salivating at a picture of a roast chicken.
Warning 18 plus:

I would go as far as saying there is something wrong with anyone who gets a hard on for those.

So nudity is not necessarily designed to provoke lust but it is perfectly possible to provoke lust when clothed.
Neither are a sin to anybody capable of rational thought. Which may prevent a few fundamental Christians from understanding.

As I said; a picture of a chicken will make you salivate but that doesn't mean you are greedy unless it provokes you to go and steal your next door neighbours chicken or eat someone elses portion. And you can't blame that on the picture.

Well said.

Jan 15 12 10:17 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

New Kidd Imagery wrote:
So in your family it's a "vanity" thing that is the sin.
Nudity has nothing to do with it.

Sort of goes back to what Extreme Body Art said that "All models are sinning".

My mother's brothers and sisters might say something to this extent, if you asked them specifically about sexualized imagery, such as glamor content: Lust is a natural human instinct, but being loud, proud and public about your desire, rather than expressing it privately in your home with a husband/wife, is an affront to the Lord, because it cheapens that 'marital gift.'

Ultimately, it still comes down to the pride issue.

Jan 15 12 10:18 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

ShivaKitty wrote:
My mother's brothers and sisters might say something to this extent, if you asked them specifically about sexualized imagery, such as glamor content: Lust is a natural human instinct, but being loud, proud and public about your desire, rather than expressing it privately in your home with a husband/wife, is an affront to the Lord, because it cheapens that 'marital gift.'

Ultimately, it still comes down to the pride issue.

That makes more sense but it also makes normal sexual desire in the unmarried a sin. And as model pics are enjoyed in very private situations...
Putting them on the wall may be different; but then putting anything on the wall could be deemed an affront to the Lord in that case.
If we have a beautiful landscape on the wall that is okay? But if we have a beautiful model it isn't?

I know you are thinking through from your relatives perspective; but that is what I would say to them.

Jan 15 12 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Christians don't all think the same way. The right wingers would call me a heretic because there are only three or four verses of the bible, stuff Jesus said, that I put any value in. Nevertheless I consider myself a Christian.

Nudity is not a sin. Not even close to getting near the vicinity of a sin. Not all nude art is created to induce lust. Besides, a beautiful woman clothed or unclothed is going to induce lust in those of us that like beautiful women.

So I hope my fellow Christian women will agree with me and get naked!

Jan 15 12 10:46 am Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

"Sin" is rarely about an action.
Yes, sin might manifest itself with an act, but before there can be an act, there must be intent.

Christians will avoid or label certain things as sin because -

a)they are not knowledgeable enough to know better and rely on what others have told them rather than learn the truth for them self,

b)they are not mature enough or strong enough to not form sinful intent based on the situation they find themselves in - for example a Christian who has a problem with food per se, the sin of gluttony which encompasses both overeating and anorexia (it is the obsession with food and self), should not place themselves in a position to lose control and binge or purge - don't hang out at the buffet,

c)they were raised in a culture where certain actions were considered sinful or evil whether there was a Biblical basis for it or not.

Nudity in the Bible was sometimes considered a sin. But not for the person who was nude, for those who saw them and did nothing to rectify the problem of this person being so poor that they had no clothes.

The disciples themselves who were fisherman, when they worked, worked nude. Fishing was a dirty business and it was just easier to work naked, then jump in the water when done to clean up, rather than their clothes smelling like fish everywhere they went.

When it comes to nudity there are some definitions one must be clear about.

Lust = placing anything above one's desire for God.

Lasciviousness = behavior characterized by a total lack of concern for another person.

Appreciation = if you look at a beautiful woman and admire her while praising God for creating such beauty, and being impressed with how she has taken care of body, there's nothing wrong with that. If you look at a beautiful woman and desire her you're getting closer to the line, but not crossing it, depends on the situation. If you look at a beautiful woman and try to picture her in explicit situations or intend to make them come about you've crossed the line.

Desire = desire is a natural thing created by God.  One can desire without falling into  lust, or lasciviousness.

Jan 15 12 10:47 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

SKPhoto wrote:
One can desire without falling into  lust, or lasciviousness.

But where's the fun in that?

Jan 15 12 10:50 am Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

Tim Little Photography wrote:
Christians don't all think the same way. The right wingers would call me a heretic because there are only three or four verses of the bible, stuff Jesus said, that I put any value in. Nevertheless I consider myself a Christian.

Nudity is not a sin. Not even close to getting near the vicinity of a sin. Not all nude art is created to induce lust. Besides, a beautiful woman clothed or unclothed is going to induce lust in those of us that like beautiful women.

This is it.

Basically what I was trying to say, but in a smaller amount of words wink
big_smile

Jan 15 12 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Robert Sawin

Carlsbad, California, US

The bible says that if you look at another women with lust in your heart then you are committing adultery.  It also goes on to say that every person you have slept with is considered a marriage in the sight of God  and is also considered adultery.   Because Images tempt man to think or do things that might make them sin, its the actual action that becomes sin.  that is the lusting and the act of making love with another women out of wedlock. 

God made sex.  Sex is not dirty it is man that defiled and perverted sex.  Sex is between a man and a women and there god.  it is a union between the three. 

For ages there have been angelic pieces of art depicting women as nude. such as the birth of venus.  Even in great churches there are nude images of adam and eve. 

Before sin in the garden of eden both adam and eve roomed the garden with out shame.  when they ate the fruit of good and evil they where aware of there nakedness and that produced shame.  the awareness had nothing to do with nakedness it self but rather innocence.  Its much the same with a 2yo running around the house naked.  when we grow older we become aware of such things in the world and we feel shame when we expose our selves in a socially inappropriate way. 

So in the long and short of it the images them self do or are not sin its the malice behind the creation or the malice of the person consuming the image that creates sin. 

the bible also goes on to say if your arm causes you to sin then cut it off.  in other words if you go to the store and the magazine rack is filled with naked women then don't go to that store if that is your weakness.

Jan 15 12 10:51 am Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

Eliza C wrote:
Warning 18 plus:

I think you were thinking of Gluttony... But then. .maybe someone is "Greedy" for chicken.. that is a possibility smile

I do agree that clothed images can be created to induce lust.. and in the Christian way of living.. that would be a sin as well.

Jan 15 12 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

New Kidd Imagery wrote:

Are they sinning?

Being nude is not a sin. Posing nude is not a sin. I am a photographer and a Christian and photograph nudes. I believe it is a way to show the beauty that God made. Is there a better way to give Him the glory?

Jan 15 12 10:55 am Link

Photographer

joephotonyc

Phoenix, Arizona, US

snip
and in the absence of god ?

Who made these rules ??

Jan 15 12 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Tim Little Photography wrote:

So I hope my fellow Christian women will agree with me and get naked!

I am to the right of right wingers and shoot art nudes. What stereotype do you have for me?

Jan 15 12 10:57 am Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

SKPhoto wrote:
"Sin" is rarely about an action.
Yes, sin might manifest itself with an act, but before there can be an act, there must be intent.

Christians will avoid or label certain things as sin because -

a)they are not knowledgeable enough to know better and rely on what others have told them rather than learn the truth for them self,

b)they are not mature enough or strong enough to not form sinful intent based on the situation they find themselves in - for example a Christian who has a problem with food per se, the sin of gluttony which encompasses both overeating and anorexia (it is the obsession with food and self), should not place themselves in a position to lose control and binge or purge - don't hang out at the buffet,

c)they were raised in a culture where certain actions were considered sinful or evil whether there was a Biblical basis for it or not.

Nudity in the Bible was sometimes considered a sin. But not for the person who was nude, for those who saw them and did nothing to rectify the problem of this person being so poor that they had no clothes.

The disciples themselves who were fisherman, when they worked, worked nude. Fishing was a dirty business and it was just easier to work naked, then jump in the water when done to clean up, rather than their clothes smelling like fish everywhere they went.

When it comes to nudity there are some definitions one must be clear about.

Lasciviousness = behavior characterized by a total lack of concern for another person.

Appreciation = if you look at a beautiful woman and admire her while praising God for creating such beauty, and being impressed with how she has taken care of body, there's nothing wrong with that. If you look at a beautiful woman and desire her you're getting closer to the line, but not crossing it, depends on the situation. If you look at a beautiful woman and try to picture her in explicit situations or intend to make them come about you've crossed the line.

Desire = desire is a natural thing created by God.  One can desire without falling into  lust, or lasciviousness.

Well said...
Nudity is not the sin.

Otherwise there would be very good Christians out there that HAVE to deal with nudity forced out of the Kingdom. Which if they are far from lusting after the would be nude person. There is no sin.

Jan 15 12 10:58 am Link

Photographer

r T p

joephotonyc wrote:
snip
and in the absence of god ?

Who made these rules ??

the on
e who created god ...

Jan 15 12 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Waits for lisa and her white knight to come in and save the day tongue

Jan 15 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Sensual Touch wrote:

Being nude is not a sin. Posing nude is not a sin. I am a photographer and a Christian and photograph nudes. I believe it is a way to show the beauty that God made. Is there a better way to give Him the glory?

Agreed.

I have moral boundaries in what I choose to photograph.
I see nothing wrong with what other people choose to photograph, but I have my own boundaries and somethings I will not photograph as because that would be crossing a PERSONAL line whether the model is OK with it or not.. *I* am not comfortable photographing an image *I* deem lustful in nature.

Jan 15 12 11:02 am Link

Photographer

ThatLook Visual Media

Nashville, Tennessee, US

New Kidd Imagery wrote:

Are they sinning?

I would say no since there's no such thing as sin.  There's only personal interpretation.

Jan 15 12 11:04 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

ThatLook Visual Media wrote:

I would say no since there's no such thing as sin.  There's only personal interpretation.

To many Christians that would be a false.

As the Bible talks about sin (so I have been told) quite a bit.

If you are not a Christian, or believe in the bible.. I guess your statement would ring true. *shrugs*

Jan 15 12 11:06 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

Eliza C wrote:
Warning 18 plus:

Very interesting point you bring up.

There are models out there that will pose in the most provocative way they can, as long as they aren't naked "They are good in the eyes of God".

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Models can pose anyway they feel comfortable. Just sometimes their reasoning is a bit "hypocritical".

Jan 15 12 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am pretty sure that those tablets that Moses brought back down with him say nothing about letting people see you when you are naked.

I am also surprised to see the similarity in fundamental belief towards instilling lust that some christians have to the muslims. I kinda wonder why there are not more christians that insist their women stay fully covered all the time they are in public.

Jan 15 12 11:10 am Link

Model

UGLY

London, England, United Kingdom

I dont understand ,,can't you like believe in god , and just not
hurt people and still pose naked or whatever cause it isn't hurting
anyone else .

so you can't believe in god if you pose nude ? cause i think thats
stupid :l

Jan 15 12 11:14 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

-L- wrote:
I dont understand ,,can't you like believe in god , and just not
hurt people and still pose naked or whatever cause it isn't hurting
anyone else .

so you can't believe in god if you pose nude ? cause i think thats
stupid :l

I agree with the logic here... Though I don't believe in God per say.

But apparently from the few models I have messaged... it is the Christian way not to pose nude.

Jan 15 12 11:21 am Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

Stephen Dawson wrote:
I am pretty sure that those tablets that Moses brought back down with him say nothing about letting people see you when you are naked.

I am also surprised to see the similarity in fundamental belief towards instilling lust that some christians have to the muslims. I kinda wonder why there are not more christians that insist their women stay fully covered all the time they are in public.

1. There is a God, you ain’t Him; don’t forget it.

2. Don’t let nothing come between you and God; not your Bass Boat, not your Pick-Up Truck, not your golf clubs: not even your wife & kids.

3. Don’t say nothing bad about God; don’t use His name in a bad way.

4  Sunday is the Lord’s Day, not your day.  Saturday is your day.

5  Always be good to yo’ mama, and yo’ daddy.

6. Don’t kill nobody, even if they need killing.  Leave that up to God.

7. Keep yo’ pants zipped up when they ought to be zipped up.

8. Don’t take nothing that ain’t yours.

9. Don’t lie, and don’t be talking bad about people.  Remember what your Grandmama use to say, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

10. Don’t be eyeballing anything that belongs to your neighbor, or anybody else.

Jan 15 12 11:22 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

thank god i'm an atheist....

Jan 15 12 11:24 am Link