Forums > Model Colloquy > My article gets published by major site's

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Some safety tips for girls modeling in 2005
Written By: Bobby of Blazing Photography
i can not post the site is was published on as it is another modeling site and dont want to get banned from here.

Last time I checked we are in America, you are free to meet anyone you want (as long as the other party is ok with it).

For example, I am in the local grocery store, I see an attractive female. I approach and start to talk to her, we exchange numbers or (emails lol) call or email her for a date. We go out on several occasions and start dating, after a bit of courtship she states "hey, I am a model.�

This is perfectly fine. Now on a professional level, 87% of the models have a male or female boyfreind/girlfreind or both. Now I know of at least 7 or 8 Photographers who are currently dating models they have shot with, some are very big timers and some are semi-pro.

Here is were the problem comes in. I don’t know the stats for sure, but I did read this somewere, "since the digital explosion" today, there are more photographers then ever.

Camera sales in NY alone are at a 1,200% increase, yet surprising enrollment to photography schools are at an all time low. Go figure! I would like to think that I have done some nice work in the past months.

Let’s get back to the problem. I think when a male or female buys a camera and has less then 3 months experience and has 0 creditability, and has the intension's of using photography (as a tool) to meet hot girls or guys, and then try's to ask them out on a date, or go to dinking party or promise's them the world to get into there pants. This is the person who is destroying the industry for all the guys and gals out there trying to become a successful photographer. Ask him or her to see there book of work, if they don’t have a Portfolio book walk away!!!!!!!!

I have seen thousands of comp cards used by agency’s based in NY and L.A. and I have to tell you, some of the work I see, I say to myself "I wonder if she or he has seen a real comp card?". More often then not it is not on the models mind to figure out what they need or don’t need to build a strong comp card and portfolio.

Now here is a hint for some of the models on this site, when choosing a photographer to work with here are 3 simple rules to go by, these are only suggestions.

1. If the photographer doesn’t have a website or at least a domain name (they cost like $7.98 and they give you 500 emails for this price). For example (www.Mrphotographer.com) This could mean only a few things! He doesn’t have $8.00 to invest into his profession, or he doesn’t want anyone to be able to do a reverse on his domain, and get all of his personal info so you can track them down (when they misbehave), or worse yet they have something to hide. Free websites don’t count because you can put in all false info and still be misled.

2.Reasearch! I am not talking about asking a few of the models he has worked with, this can lead to problems. For example, I have seen this happen a lot, the photographer will play it so cool with certain models, just so they will give him a good reference, so when a young innocent model calls her or him for a reference, they will say "hey, yea I worked with him and he was great". Now you think it is all good, you got your references, only to come to find out they are not cool, but in fact a low life. It is the ultimate bait and switch game.

3. Chances are most models will never get a chance to work with the most elite Photographers unless they are willing to pay them (oh no pay!) for their time. Loredana is one of my best friends and has been published numerous times. She has been on the cover of BMX, Miss February London FHM and her website is here (http://www.loredana.tv). We have been friends for over 5 yrs. She came to me one day and told me she was paying a photographer 1,400.00 to shoot her. I was like "what"?

Let me tell you something right now, it was her best investment to this day. I can not begin to tell you how many times I drove her to the airport because she was flying here or there. Club events we went to where she was being paid big money just to show up. Point is, the photographer did an amazing job, and when she sent her photos out to clients or Management Companies, they wanted to work with her.

Models this is a hard core fact, if you’re in the modeling game, your work with photographers and your photos are the only thing you have to show clients or management companies, so if your photos are tight and your look is hot, offers will come to you all day long.

This is very important for all models, if a photographer has a manager (oops you didn’t know that) you can bet he is in the top 10% of the industry, and most likely in his late 50’s as he has been in the game for a long time.

Another big question models never ask a photographer (don’t know why) what school did he/she go to for photography, or what photographers did he/she work with in the past. If he can’t give you this info, chances are he is just another GWC (guy with camera) and has no professional skills to back himself up with.

Now models, there are a few more hints I am going to hit you with and then I am done with this.

One of the biggest questions a model will ask is "how can I get into a magazine?" Well most of you are not aware of this so I will tell you how. It is so simple sometimes I wonder.

You need to find two types of photographers. One is a Fashion Photographer, He more then likely gets a lot of work from Clients and Designers in which they need models (all shapes and sizes) for just about everything.

The other is an advertising Photographer, he is the guy you see getting ad space in magazines all the time from shoes to Rolex watches. This is the photographer you want to know and be in his grace. When the client asks him to see some of his models for a project, you would hope and pray he/she recommends you for the job.

Now for the myth, I was talking to one of my friends who is very well known and is one of the 10% and been a friend of mine going on 3 yrs. What this gentlemen has taught me no school could ever [teach].

I have made mistakes and have done stupid stuff just like anyone else who is human. I have sat in his studio in Soho for hour's studying comp cards from top agencies. When I look at some of the profiles on here (it is like night and day), I just don’t understand how some of these people actually show their work.

If you are just in this business to date people or you're a picture junkie (yes there are people like this) you are surely helping to destroy this business. The fact is today is my 2 yr anniversary as a (hang on I am not sure of this) learning photographer (how’s that) got to be careful.

TFP, my god is this word so over rated. If you used this word with the elite chances are they will throw you out of their studio, it is not welcomed in their world.

Let’s roll back in time for a minute. TFP (Test For Photographer) was used by agency as a way for them to have their models go to photographers for TESTING for an ad or commercial, and the client was able to view the photos and decide if he or she was right for the project.

Now today, with all the comp cards and what not you have a new term used, most commonly known as “the go seeâ€?. This is when a photographer will call in his favorite models for the client to meet and see if she or he is right for the project they are doing.

Well folks this is all I have to say on this subject which I got off the entire main subject, but if this can help just one person, then the 2 hrs I spent writing this is worth it.

Aug 13 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eldor

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

That was published?

I sure hope they corrected the (very) numerous spelling and grammar errors before they published it.  And I hope they made it less boring to read while they were at it.

Aug 13 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Blazingphotography wrote:
1. If the photographer doesn’t have a website or at least a domain name (they cost like $7.98 and they give you 500 emails for this price). For example (www.Mrphotographer.com) This could mean only a few things! He doesn’t have $8.00 to invest into his profession, or he doesn’t want anyone to be able to do a reverse on his domain, and get all of his personal info so you can track them down (when they misbehave), or worse yet they have something to hide. Free websites don’t count because you can put in all false info and still be misled.

What if said photographer's web site doesn't work?

Paul

Aug 13 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

LiteFocus Studios

Seattle, Washington, US

That would be because he has a typo of htpp instead of http smile

Aug 13 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Paul Ferrara wrote:
What if said photographer's web site doesn't work?
Paul

How about a photographer that is so well known that they don't NEED one. And that's a fact. Or one that doesn't work in a way that requires them to, or do they need to, advertise to the public, especially on the internet... because they have a sound established commercial client base? And that's a fact too. Does that make them flakes? Of course not. If they are going to advertise at all it will be in the trade mags and trade papers... not on the friggen internet.

Shit, there are big-time model agencies out there that don't have all-singing all-dancing websites for the same reasons... maybe only a home page and contact information... does that make them flakes, as well? I think not... it indicates that they are successful to the point that they don't NEED one. The have clients and a network of professionals they work with. If they advertise at all it will be in the trade mags and rags. They don't need to advertise to the "public" on the friggen internet.

As for the claim that "go sees" are something new? ("...Now today, with all the comp cards and what not you have a new term used, most commonly known as “the go seeâ€?...") Hell there have been go-sees, and casting calls, and auditions for half a century or more in modelling and longer still in movie and theatrical casting. There were "go sees" before comp cards and a L O N G time before the internet.

And, lastly, don't you just hate so-called articles that claim that the writer has been told this and that by who they claim are "well known" or "famous" or "successful" characters and NEVER mention a name or any checkable references.

As for that piece of crap being published "on the internet" ("...i can not post the site is was published on as it is another modelling site...") and they fail to tell you where it was published? Well, I, or you, or anyone else, could write that drivel and post it up to THIS board too. That would make it published ON A MODEL SITE, now, wouldn't it? But does that make it real? Hell no. I, or you, or anyone else could also get a domain name (www.horseshit.info) and post it there. Is that any better? You're joking! I might believe it if it showed up in a proper trade journal... but on the internet it has exactly the same value as the paper it is written on.

There is one thing worse than wannabe models and wannabe photographers and that's wannabe journalists.

Studio36

Aug 14 05 03:51 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You need to find two types of photographers. One is a Fashion Photographer, He more then likely gets a lot of work from Clients and Designers in which they need models (all shapes and sizes) for just about everything.

The other is an advertising Photographer, he is the guy you see getting ad space in magazines all the time from shoes to Rolex watches. This is the photographer you want to know and be in his grace. When the client asks him to see some of his models for a project, you would hope and pray he/she recommends you for the job.

You show neither fashion nor commercial print. You have an excellent point.

Aug 14 05 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

You show neither fashion nor commercial print. You have an excellent point.

But the animated gif is real nice, neh?

Aug 14 05 04:11 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:
But the animated gif is real nice, neh?

I love how it's artfully crammed up against both the photo frame on the left and the type below.

It just screams published photographer.

Aug 14 05 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

I love how it's artfully crammed up against both the photo frame on the left and the type below.

It just screams published photographer.

I count something like 20 lens elements.  Is that L glass?

Aug 14 05 04:22 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:
I count something like 20 lens elements.  Is that L glass?

L culo.

Aug 14 05 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Kent Brockman: Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy sack-beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?

Homer: Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that.

Aug 14 05 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Eldor wrote:
That was published?

I sure hope they corrected the (very) numerous spelling and grammar errors before they published it.  And I hope they made it less boring to read while they were at it.

It was "published" (on a web site, allegedly), not exactly what I think of as published. Yes, all these errors are very distracting. The writer has some useful tips, but it is a problem when the reader is not able to discern the useful tips from completely unsubstantiated claims. I suspect the net yield for the novice is more mis-information and fear mongering.

I wish I could be more supportive...

Aug 14 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

(they cost like $7.98 and they give you 500 emails for this price)

AUUUUUGGGHHH!!!!

"they cost like..." is not English. It's not even rapper-English! That's baby-talk!

mjr.

Aug 14 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

AUUUUUGGGHHH!!!!

"they cost like..." is not English. It's not even rapper-English! That's baby-talk!

mjr.

To be fair, $7.96 is like $7.98...

Aug 14 05 08:16 pm Link