Forums > Model Colloquy > Nude modeling during your period

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Zombie thread.

This post was about posing nekkid during the monthlies and the myriad ways to handle it.

Enjoy.

Jan 20 12 11:19 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Eurocat wrote:
I hate the idea of the 'fuse' dangeling out of me, but I really need to get to work (and I am unable to try the cup thingy).

Tuck... or use OB tampons without the string.

Jan 20 12 11:21 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Well I did cut the thing, but the idea of it just being present makes me feel ICK.

Do togs even care?

Jan 20 12 11:32 am Link

Model

Shylo Moore

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

i have always just tucked it is easy and safer when it comes to removal but in all honesty the photographers dont care to much we all have to work round it they see it all the time and all nude models have this problem you may have to be more thoughtful of ur possitioning but you should still be able to work without any problems

Jan 20 12 11:42 am Link

Photographer

MDS-Photos

Darlington, South Carolina, US

William Kious wrote:

+1. Just cut ~n~ tuck and all is good wink.

Jan 20 12 11:47 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Eurocat wrote:
Well I did cut the thing, but the idea of it just being present makes me feel ICK.

Do togs even care?

If you feel that uncomfortable during your period, then schedule around it.  If you feel icky, it will come through in the pictures.

Most photographers won't be bothered by it.  Anyone with a sense of maturity is going to realize that it's just part of life.  Of course, you will always have those who get grossed out by it.  *shrugs*

All you can do is bring it up.  If you know you're going to be on your period during a proposed shoot date, say so.  Work it out with the photographer.

Jan 20 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

I have shot many models nude while on their period. You have to just work as a team and make sure there is plenty of open commmunication between both photographer and model. One model had her string hangin out and I would just mention it to her do to the fact i would have to do much editing. Some times I wonder what models that posed for like Michale Angelo or Degas or Da Vinchi di while they were on their period.

Jan 20 12 11:51 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

William Kious wrote:

If you feel that uncomfortable during your period, then schedule around it.  If you feel icky, it will come through in the pictures.

Here's where I disagree. That'll mean up to one week EVERY month where you can't work. If you're a full time model...that may not be an option.

Do a search on a product called "Instead" www.softcup.com

Good models are good actors. Use the emotions of that time of the month to your advantage. Cry when a shoot requires it...scream when it requires it...laugh histerically when it requires it.

Jan 20 12 11:54 am Link

Model

Ashley Graham

I shoot during that period regardless of my period. You can cut small sea sponges and stick them up, it works wonders. If a model cancels on me for a shoot due to her period she goes on my don't work with again list. If you can go to a regular job, you can go to a shoot

Jan 20 12 12:06 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Thank you all for your advice! Muchly appreciated!

Jan 20 12 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

It happened that we had to clean up....Communication was the key.

Jan 20 12 12:30 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Ashley Graham wrote:
If you can go to a regular job, you can go to a shoot

If you compare nude modeling with waiting tables or sitting in an office, then yes, you can.

Jan 20 12 12:33 pm Link

Model

Stacie Marie

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I still shoot... I carry plenty of Midol or Ibuprofen with me for the cramps and just cut the tampon string and make sure it's not hanging down. And unless you are shooting full-frontal spreads, I wouldn't worry about the tampon string even showing at all (if you cut it).

Photographers understand we are females and menstruate... I'm sure they won't mind if you use the bathroom a few extra times during the shoot to make sure everything is ok smile

Jan 20 12 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

Ofu, Manu'a, American Samoa

We don't care. Just keep the string out of sight.

Jan 20 12 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hell, even if the string is visible, it takes all of one second to get rid of in post. As long as you're not dying on set, I don't really care what's going on with your body. tongue

Also, if photographers are anything like me, we keep about 18 boxes of tampons on hand (either on purpose, or because they get bought and left here haha).

Jan 20 12 01:08 pm Link

Model

Ivanafox

Healesville, Victoria, Australia

I suffer totally during my period, it's so heavy that I suffer from iron deficiencies and anemia so i basically skip the dummy tablets on my birth control and only have a period every 6 months or so. (with doctors approval). Medically speaking there is no good reason to have a period. (according to all the doctors I've asked so far)

I also feel hideous when i have my period but I know that it doesn't show, it's just in my head. When I've had to do nudes during a period I cut the string short on a tampon, and put a knot in the end, I don't have to worry about anything being visible and the short knotted string is easy to find so I can get it out without having to go fishing for it.
Like everyone else has said, just work through it, or work around it. Whichever suits you. It's your body.

Jan 20 12 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ashes to Ashes

Norway, Maine, US

I have, I just tuck in the string....but I usually wait until its closer to the end of my period.

Jan 20 12 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

ASYLUM - Photo wrote:
Hell, even if the string is visible, it takes all of one second to get rid of in post. As long as you're not dying on set, I don't really care what's going on with your body. tongue

Also, if photographers are anything like me, we keep about 18 boxes of tampons on hand (either on purpose, or because they get bought and left here haha).

I have one project which, by it's very nature (tightly bound vulva) might be an issue.  Aside from that, I agree with Asylum.  Work around it, clean up any strays in post and be a grown up.

The only time I would prefer a model reschedule is if she's so physically uncomfortable that her performance suffers.

Jan 20 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
Here's where I disagree. That'll mean up to one week EVERY month where you can't work. If you're a full time model...that may not be an option.

If the model is miserable, what's the point?  It's not like going to the office, you know.  I can almost hear the dialogue: "Are you having a hard cramp?  Awesome!  Work with that!  I want to see anguish!  Think you can whip up some tears?"

Some women are going to be okay with modeling during their periods.  Others will not be.  It's not up to you, me or anyone else to decide.

Do a search on a product called "Instead" www.softcup.com

The OP already stated that she was unable to try the cup.

Good models are good actors. Use the emotions of that time of the month to your advantage. Cry when a shoot requires it...scream when it requires it...laugh histerically when it requires it.

And this is stereotypical bunk.

Jan 20 12 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Christine

London, England, United Kingdom

Just use SOMETHING I read about a model who didn't wear a tampon and it was running down her legs. Not pretty, I'd rather see a string to be honest.

Jan 20 12 01:29 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Jessyka Ann Photography wrote:
I have, I just tuck in the string....but I usually wait until its closer to the end of my period.

Yep.

Jan 20 12 02:15 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

William Kious wrote:
And this is stereotypical bunk.

What's 'bunk'? Aside from being a newbie (or what's the timeline on that now?), I am also a foreigner, with sufficient English, but I lack the slang, if you'd care to educat me?

Jan 20 12 02:17 pm Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

Like others have said, tampon string, cut and tuck. I've never had an issue.

I'm also on continuous birth control now, so I only get a period every three months. Cuts down on time that I feel out of commission from life!

Jan 20 12 02:30 pm Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

I'm pretty amazed by the relaxed attitudes of all the photographers to be honest!

My first longterm partner would pull a tampon out and swing it around for all he cared, my current bf of 5yrs doesn't want to know or see anything to do with that sort of thing whatsoever...
You never can tell, but as everyone said, communication is key!

Jan 20 12 03:55 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I shoot any day of the month, modeling is my job, I didn't get to call in sick from my customer service job because I had cramps, I don't get to do it with modeling either. Put in a super tampon, tuck the string up inside, take so pain killers, go shoot.

Nobody I've worked with has ever known if I were on my period or not.

Jan 20 12 04:39 pm Link

Model

Nedah Oyin

Chicago, Illinois, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
I shoot any day of the month, modeling is my job, I didn't get to call in sick from my customer service job because I had cramps, I don't get to do it with modeling either. Put in a super tampon, tuck the string up inside, take so pain killers, go shoot.

^^^^

all of these words here..

Jan 20 12 04:43 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Why would you feel icky? Periods aren't icky; it's just a normal body function. Do you also forgo all fun activities during your period? It's not like you need to sequester yourself in the red tent or anything. Menstruation is not an illness.

I honestly don't know how in the world you think anyone else will be able to tell you're on your period if you tuck the tampon string...??? 666 doesn't appear across your forehead. What is the big deal about????

I know some women who use menstrual cups but I don't think I would wear one to a shoot that involved stretching or extreme body positions because sometimes they can leak if you contort your body too much. Just use a tampon.

Jan 20 12 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

J Kegley Photographer

Renton, Washington, US

I have been photographing nudes for probably 10 years now and have never worried about a model and her period.  I carry tampons as a backup for them if I am in a situation where access to them is not readily available(remote locations) and don't worry about it.  Women have been having periods for about 2 million years now while gathering firewood, raising children, working in factories, running companies, etc.  It has no impact on me.  The model lets me know and we deal with it.  The only time where it can have an impact is if the model is in real physical distress and needs to take a break or postpone.  They are women, this is natural, I see  no reason not to just deal with it as adults and move on

Jan 20 12 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Beksel Photography

Shell Lake, Wisconsin, US

There are nudes in my port that were short during the models period...  Tucking works...  You would never know.  As long as you feel comfortable why not shoot?

If you have severe cramps or other symptoms...  That's something you may not want to work through...  But as far as stopping the flow and hiding "The fuse" as someone said.  Not a big deal at all for me as a photographer.  As long as you're comfortable and happy.

Jan 20 12 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Saedcantas wrote:
My first longterm partner would pull a tampon out and swing it around for all he cared, ...........

TMI ALERT!!

Jan 20 12 04:55 pm Link

Model

Kozmina

Bakersfield, California, US

When I was dancing I tucked the string and so does every other dancer.You work through it or lose money.The only dancer I knew that couldn't do that had INTENSELY painful periods and couldn't even get out of bed.I think she deserves a pass smile

Jan 20 12 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

I saw a tiny bit of string once and that was only in one pose (not Laura) otherwise, I didn't know.

If you can't work, I understand.  Otherwise, I don't care.

Jan 20 12 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Saedcantas wrote:
My first longterm partner would pull a tampon out and swing it around for all he cared.

Kinky is fun!

Jan 20 12 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Ashley Graham wrote:
I shoot during that period regardless of my period. You can cut small sea sponges and stick them up, it works wonders. If a model cancels on me for a shoot due to her period she goes on my don't work with again list. If you can go to a regular job, you can go to a shoot

I was at a strip club once where a stripper had an accident on stage.

I have told a model that the sting was hanging.

Jan 20 12 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Ashley Graham wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I was at a strip club once where a stripper had an accident on stage.

I have told a model that the sting was hanging.

"Oh! The humanity!"

Jan 20 12 05:33 pm Link

Model

Chloe Selene

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

+1

I've done the cut and tuck many times.  I felt a little nervous about it the first time because I was afraid that the string would show and it would be embarrassing . . . but I've never had an issue.  It's never been visible, affected my posing, etc.  I know lots of people have said to communicate with the photographer, but I honestly don't see why you'd need to.  You don't need help dealing with your period, so why does anyone need to know?  It may be a little awkward at first, but it's really not a big deal.

Jan 20 12 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

Eurocat wrote:
Sorry to bother you with this, but I just need to ask, you nude models out there:

Do you shoot during your period?

I would normally be curled up in bed, with kittens, remote, advil and emergency chocolates, but now my schedule seems to fill up more and more (look at me complaining!), and I will have to start shooting during my period as well.

I've previously called it 'maintainance week', (for those of you who wax instead of shave it will make more sense), and avoided any nude work in that time.

I hate the idea of the 'fuse' dangeling out of me, but I really need to get to work (and I am unable to try the cup thingy).

I would appreciate input from models and togs the like!

As long as you feel able to pose and present the proper expressions and do not have visible water weight, bloating, etc., then keep your commitments.

Jan 20 12 07:32 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I unfortunately am not even capable of getting out of bed the first two days of my period. I have labor pain cramps so intense that they make me throw up and blackout.  The other two days, I tuck the string and no one is the wiser. I'm pretty regular, so when I was modeling, I made sure not to book any work those two days. Even when I worked a regular job, I showed my employers a note from my doctor stating that I am not a functioning human being those two days and they excused me from work. Yes, some women are capable of working during that time, but unfortunately, a lot aren't.

Jan 20 12 07:34 pm Link

Model

Siri Eroom

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I use Instead Softcups...They work really well for me...

Jan 20 12 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Eurocat wrote:

What's 'bunk'? Aside from being a newbie (or what's the timeline on that now?), I am also a foreigner, with sufficient English, but I lack the slang, if you'd care to educat me?

Bunk... absurd, ridiculous, nonsense... and so forth.

HIS comment insinuates that he understands the emotions of a woman going through her period.  HE assumes he can tell a woman what she should or shouldn't do.  Furthermore, he used the words crying, screaming and hysterical laughter.  Even his use of the word "hysterical" demonstrates immaturity and a gross lack of understanding.

He's a dude.  Unless he's had a period complicated by PMS, he shouldn't assume.

Jan 20 12 07:42 pm Link