Forums > Photography Talk > ring flashes

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Daniel_Bergeron wrote:

Not in every case. I could be wrong here, but I believe the ProFoto cannot be repinned for Norman. I do know that the PF ring can be repinned for Speedo and (what I use) Dyna.

Daniel how would you explain that my Profoto ringflash plugs into all of my three Norman 200B powerpacks? My repairman had to install a two prong connection so I could use my flash cord. He forgot to install a test button but I live without it. This unit has paid for itself many times over!

Aug 16 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

(This is just to see what Alex says.)

Aug 16 05 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Brian Diaz wrote:
(This is just to see what Alex says.)

My back up to my 15 year old Dynalite is a 35 year old Ascor ( I bought it in Seattle from Boeing). My repairman adapted it so I can use my Dynalite heads. I get a true 1200 watt seconds with a  6 second (that's a long time) re-cycling. I also have a beautiful Ascor focusing fresnel spotlight also fixed to work with my Dynalite.

Aug 16 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel_Bergeron

Los Angeles, California, US

alexwh wrote:

Daniel how would you explain that my Profoto ringflash plugs into all of my three Norman 200B powerpacks? My repairman had to install a two prong connection so I could use my flash cord. He forgot to install a test button but I live without it. This unit has paid for itself many times over!

That's where the "I could be wrong" comes in. Not to mention the following "I stand corrected" post.

Aug 17 05 01:15 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Daniel I feel very lucky that here in Vancouver I have an excellent "support" staff. Horst Wenzel ( a retired but very active camera repairman) keeps my ancient cameras working and Viktor the Hungarian keeps my Dynalites in shape while saying yes to whatever modifications I suggest. Then there is my friend  (another Hungarian) Paul Leisz who suggests to all things computer. I am able to scan my my roses (directly on my scanner) and play around with 800 meg files without freezing my computer.

Aug 17 05 01:20 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

No one stone me to death for being ignorant,
however... i was wondering what exactly is a
beauty dish? Iv seen what they generaly look like
but what are they used for?

(yah, i like picking all your brains, what better way
to learn ^__^)

Aug 17 05 01:30 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

The flash tube is covered by a hemishpherical metal dome so that the light has to bounce off and back into a round pan that is usually painted white. This light is more directional than a softbox but not as "hard" as that from a spotlight.

Aug 17 05 01:33 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Let's see if this works

https://www.dynalite.com/fmola.html

Aug 17 05 01:35 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

It didn't so go to that website and you will see what a beauty light looks like. I suspect the hugest one made is one either made by Speedotron or by Profoto.

Aug 17 05 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

alexwh wrote:
Let's see if this works

https://www.dynalite.com/fmola.html

With the new coding, you can just type it in without any fancy tags.  http://www.dynalite.com/fmola.html

Aug 17 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

alexwh wrote:
It didn't so go to that website and you will see what a beauty light looks like. I suspect the hugest one made is one either made by Speedotron or by Profoto.

I have a single level from norman back adapted for a speedotron.  The multi level ones can get huge and heavy.

Aug 17 05 01:48 am Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

The Photographer Douglas Dubler uses thre Kino Flo lights in a triangular shape to achive a ring flash look. The catch light is interesting and has a signiture mark to it that is very much his. Photo Techniques USA magazine hhad an article on him and that light set up in the March/April 2004 issue.

I believe it was Michael Grecco who took Jerri Ryans photo of her in the Seven of Nine outfit against the sparkle backdrop. He used three photo head in a triangular pattern clos the the lense to achive a ring flash look. If you are able to find the photo and look at the catch lights in her eyes you will see the three lights. I can't remember if i read it online or in a magazine.

Aug 17 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Daniel_Bergeron wrote:
Ummm, you need a credit card to rent gear.

Thanks for the info.

Aug 17 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Weis

Forest Hills, New York, US

I had my Profoto Acute II ringflash modified for Lumedyne. Lumedyne will perform this mod for $200 + shipping. They do a really nice job - they add a test button, ready light, and a long cable. If you get a ring, try using it as your fill light for some shots.

Aug 17 05 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

The Photo Chick

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Aug 18 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Cole

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Tom Weis wrote:
I had my Profoto Acute II ringflash modified for Lumedyne. Lumedyne will perform this mod for $200 + shipping. They do a really nice job - they add a test button, ready light, and a long cable. If you get a ring, try using it as your fill light for some shots.

Tom
Thats what i had done....Lumedyne is about an hour drive from me...took it up there...it was done in 2 days $200..a test button,ready light and a 20ft cable...I have a 200watt pack with a 200watt booster...I got my ring flash from calumet and you have to use a filter that screws into your lens and then it attaches to the ring...Your profoto acute 2 how does it mount to your camera? I wish i would have know you could do that with a profoto.....here is the link for the calumet one..........

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE=Co … =SPDSEARCH

Aug 18 05 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

marksora wrote:
Here is some information on cheap alternatives to buying a ring flash.

Building a Poor Man's Ringflash
http://www.noestudios.com/photo/ringlight/

Wow, that's hilarious, and kind of insane! haha.

Here's another DIY project that's ends up as an actual ringflash, as opposed to that ringlight contraption. It's also a rational size and can be used handheld if you like and is closer to a real studio ringflash in use and results.

http://www.tapstream.com/sections/gear/ … flash.html

And here's a better photo of the Balcar ringflash it's sort of modeled after than the guy has on his DIY page

http://www.balcar.com/produit.asp?ilst=Ring&l=3&cat=1

It's hard to tell from that photo but there's a metal plate there acting as a flag/gobo between the lens and the strobe head. Seems like there would still be flare and hotspot problems with the Balcar design without a cover for the tube and a pretty serious lens hood. On the other hand they're known for great light modifiers and accessories and I haven't heard any complaints about it. I remember Lumedyne having a similar reflector to be used ringstyle with their pencil lights but I can't find any mention of it anywhere now.

Aug 19 05 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

geri

Wayne, New Jersey, US

aaron_h  - I would love to see a shot of a model that you used your ringflash on...

Aug 19 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eusebio Photography

Santa Ana, California, US

You may want to rent it first to give it a try. I think it's $25 a day plus another $40 for the powerpack.

Shot with a Profoto ringflash.

https://brokenhorseprod.com/portfolio2/pictures/maria_martini_sm__2.jpg

This link has nudity. Think before you click. (Mod can delete the link if need be)
http://brokenhorseprod.com/portfolio2/p … _9823.html

Aug 19 05 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

I have a ring flash for a d4 power pack.. I use it quite often but sometimes it is a bit much to play with (the distance can effect exposure, slows down shooting).. I have one shot in my portfolio with a ring flash, it is the afro-American girl with the blue striped top and matching eye effects.. by the way, the crop with the ring flash from the B&W nude is great! my pack is shared and I was not the one who bought it however I heard it was about $900.00.... it was left out in the rain once and still works like a charm!

Aug 20 05 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

geri wrote:
aaron_h  - I would love to see a shot of a model that you used your ringflash on...

Sorry, I don't have one and I've never used one. Those weren't my pages I was linking to. I do have pencil lights for both my Balcar's and Lumedynes that would work with the right reflector if I had one of them. I might try the bunt pan method of building one just because I like to improvise and jury rig things like that, but honestly,
I 've never been a fan of the ring flash look for the most part.

Aug 20 05 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

I have the Hensel RF and Porty. I use the porty both in studio and location. The RF is expensive, but I love it.

Aug 20 05 08:45 am Link

Photographer

lasphotos

Oakland, California, US

Here is a better link to making the poor mans ring flash:

http://www.makeshiftphoto.com/budget/ringflash.html

Oct 21 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Mark Coleman

Portland, Oregon, US

alexwh wrote:
My back up to my 15 year old Dynalite is a 35 year old Ascor ( I bought it in Seattle from Boeing). My repairman adapted it so I can use my Dynalite heads. I get a true 1200 watt seconds with a  6 second (that's a long time) re-cycling. I also have a beautiful Ascor focusing fresnel spotlight also fixed to work with my Dynalite.

The very first photographer (1982) that I assisted had a very old Ascor. We called it "The Old Ascor". It was dangerous and tempramental! It was known to flash when it felt like it (like some models ;0) and had actually thrown the photog across the room once! The Old Ascor was retired shortly after.

I want a cheap ringflash for my 20D that would work with my old Norman 200B which I haven't used in years!

Oct 21 05 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I have a Profoto 1200 WS Acute 2 Ring flash and the generator.

Total cost was over 2000.00.  I got a set of heads with the generator, so couldn't tell you the exact price if you just wanted the ring and generator.

I bought it because I liked the way it makes those cool "ring flash" shadows on the backdrop.

It is usefull for many other things.

But like all gadget envy, don't go deluding yourself into thinking it is going to catapult you to the next level of fashion photography.

Since the light goes straight out and boucnes straight back, it will give you fits if the model has shiny skin (specular highlights result).

For those shots with the cool halo shadow, you just pull the model off the background a bit and adjust the distance between yourself and the model till you get the effect (that part is easy).

Don't forget that since the light is on the camera, that if you move closer to or further away from the model while shooting, you will have to adjust your Fstop.

A ring light works great as a fill flash outdoors.

I often use it with rim lights as the main fill.

Oh, and the models will complain about seeing "donuts". LOL

If you have never had a ring flash popped in your face from about 5 feet away, you have no idea.

Imaging looking at a bar bulb going off from about 5 feet and you will get the idea.

The light thrown by a ring light is quite distinctive and you will begin to notice it in other shots if you get one and start to use it.

Mark

Oct 21 05 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Yes, I use them quite a lot. Not only for the distinctive "ring flash look" or the super glossy look (without the halo shadow) it gives, but also because it's one of the best fill sources known to man. You can shoot fill flash in such a way that nobody can tell you used anything at all. The use of a ringflash is one of the major reasons why I would never buy into a monoblock system.

Oct 21 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Justin N Lane wrote:
rent it when you need it, if at all possible... it's such a specific look, do you think you'll shoot enough with it to justify the purchase?

SO many looks are possible with a ring flash, not only the "ring flash look." For example, I often use it only as a fill. It's maybe the best fill source known to man.

Oct 21 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i agree... ringflashes are actually pretty versatile... i've used them on camera and off camera... as key, fill, even background...

both of these shots were taken using a ringflash as the only light source...
one looks like a ringflash shot and the other one doesn't...

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=430bca8d94afc
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=42e18edbf195f

Oct 21 05 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I don't know how to link a photo but In my port, the bottom left photo titled "my best gal" is shot with my Calumet ringflash.  I like to use it as a main and then surround the model with a ton of grids and other shit.
I paid (for the light and the pack) about $2100.00; not thrilled about that but i think it's paid for itself by now.

Poorman's ring flash effect:  Take a large or medium soft box, horizontal....  Get right in front of that bad boy literally pushing your body into it until it wraps slightly around you.
Huge pain in the buttocks (and it's not overly comfortable) but you'll get a similar effect with the shadows.

Oct 21 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

brokenhorse wrote:
You may want to rent it first to give it a try. I think it's $25 a day plus another $40 for the powerpack.

Shot with a Profoto ringflash.

https://brokenhorseprod.com/portfolio2/pictures/maria_martini_sm__2.jpg

This link has nudity. Think before you click. (Mod can delete the link if need be)
http://brokenhorseprod.com/portfolio2/p … _9823.html

This shot is amazing!!  Perfect use of a ringflash.

Oct 21 05 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

alexwh wrote:
The flash tube is covered by a hemishpherical metal dome so that the light has to bounce off and back into a round pan that is usually painted white. This light is more directional than a softbox but not as "hard" as that from a spotlight.

The light is actually much LESS directional than a softbox, but harder and more specular. It's a more intense, concentrated, and efficient version of an umbrella, basically. Because the dish is curved, it partly fills in its own shadows, creating a much softer edge and shadow, more transition from highlight to shadow than a softbox, but as I said, the character of the light is more specular.

I use both beauty dish and ring flash quite a lot.

Oct 22 05 09:08 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Gunfitr wrote:
Oh, and the models will complain about seeing "donuts". LOL

If you have never had a ring flash popped in your face from about 5 feet away, you have no idea.

Imaging looking at a bar bulb going off from about 5 feet and you will get the idea.

Mark

Whenever possible, use a photoflood or some other fairly bright constant source as a focusing light when using ringflash. Because ringflash has no modelling lamp, you'll need a focusing light in the first place. Secondly, and this addresses the need you spoke of, having a light already shining in the model's face closes down the pupils so they won't get a headache getting dazed by the ring flash. Any normal flood lamp will not throw nearly enough light to have any significance on your exposure.

Oct 22 05 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Knight Light Studios

Long Beach, California, US

I am just starting with my ring flash, but I am noticing it is just blowing out all my pictures.   no matter the settings.  I am still REALLY new to all this) but are there any suggestions to keep this from happening?

Oct 22 08 12:41 am Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

Knight Light Studios wrote:
I am just starting with my ring flash, but I am noticing it is just blowing out all my pictures.   no matter the settings.  I am still REALLY new to all this) but are there any suggestions to keep this from happening?

Aperture is your friend

Oct 22 08 12:44 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

La Seine by the Hudson wrote:

Whenever possible, use a photoflood or some other fairly bright constant source as a focusing light when using ringflash. Because ringflash has no modelling lamp, you'll need a focusing light in the first place. Secondly, and this addresses the need you spoke of, having a light already shining in the model's face closes down the pupils so they won't get a headache getting dazed by the ring flash. Any normal flood lamp will not throw nearly enough light to have any significance on your exposure.

My cheapo (But excellent light) AB ring light has modeling lights. As to the guy who is blowing out your images...turn the power down. When close i rarely use mine above 1/8th power and it's only a 320 W/S unit to begin with. Outdoors and at greater distances i may move up to full on occasion.

Oct 22 08 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Michael Caristo Photog

Buda, Texas, US

not here anymore. wrote:
Anyone use them?  Thinking about buying one because I like to spend money to test out new things, lol.

I Love my Alien Bee Ring Flash!!

Oct 22 08 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Kung Photography

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I too love my ABR800 Ring Flash when I'm on location.

I use it mainly for fill when I'm outside.

Oct 22 08 12:59 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

this could be a real stupid question but i have to ask before I start using it, does a ringflash work with all lenses? (i.e., if you are mounting it onto the camera)I hope I phrased that correctly.  I just got a ring flash and I was wondering if it works with short and telephoto lenses? Will it be okay to use with a fixed 85 mm lens and say a 28-70 lens? thanks in advance.

Oct 22 08 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Just a reminder: this thread started over 3 years ago, and there was a 3 year gap between 10/22/05 and when it was bumped in 10/22/08...

Don't expect responses from many of the earlier posters.

Oct 22 08 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Von Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

or any of the links to work.. ;(

Apr 13 09 01:30 pm Link