Forums > Photography Talk > Need Outdoor Locations for Nude Shoots in Florida

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

I'm in the Tampa area and I need some good outdoor locations to shoot nudes. Preferrably I need forest, woods or any kind of nature settings. Obviously I am looking for places where we won't get bugged by anything other then bugs. Thanks.

Aug 14 05 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Christopher Wright wrote:
I'm in the Tampa area and I need some good outdoor locations to shoot nudes. Preferrably I need forest, woods or any kind of nature settings. Obviously I am looking for places where we won't get bugged by anything other then bugs. Thanks.

There are a ton of state and fedreral parks and lands in your area. My suggestion is you hop on the net, look them up, and take a drive. I would avoid any of them that have a fee to enter as those are going to be the most popular places.

Aug 15 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Delete

Aug 15 05 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
For nudes I would not pick a state park or a federal park ... especially a federal park .... unless i was VERY sure of their rules and regulations. I would also be willing to bet that getting caught nude in either of them in public areas would subject the participants to arrest and penalty.

There is no Federal nudity law. State nudity law in Fla is fairly loose. If you are not being lewd or showing yourself in order to shock or turn someone on, they have no case.

If you are away from people and are discovered by a ranger you most likely will be let go with minimal problem. Just give it the old  "yes sir, no sir, thank you sir"

Aug 15 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I know a killer place in Miami. I flew down there and did a TFP with a model that picked the spot and we did 90% nude shots for 2-3 hours on a mostly secluded beach area. It even had a wooded area where I got most of my best shots.  It cost a few bucks to get it (and for the toll).

Aug 15 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
For nudes I would not pick a state park or a federal park ... especially a federal park .... unless i was VERY sure of their rules and regulations. I would also be willing to bet that getting caught nude in either of them in public areas would subject the participants to arrest and penalty.

Your right. It's taken a chance. There may not be any federal law, but there is a state law.

Florida Statue 800.03

"It is unlawful to expose or exhibit one's sexual organs in public or on the private premise of another, or so near thereto as to be seen from such private premises, in a vulgar or indecent manner, or to be naked in public except in any place provided or set apart for that purpose. Any person convicted of a violation hereof shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 755.082 or s. 775.083. A mother's breast feeding of her baby does not under any circumstances violate this section."

Robert

Aug 15 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

U240Robert wrote:

Your right. It's taken a chance. There may not be any federal law, but there is a state law.

Florida Statue 800.03

"It is unlawful to expose or exhibit one's sexual organs in public or on the private premise of another, or so near thereto as to be seen from such private premises, in a vulgar or indecent manner, or to be naked in public except in any place provided or set apart for that purpose. Any person convicted of a violation hereof shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 755.082 or s. 775.083. A mother's breast feeding of her baby does not under any circumstances violate this section."

Robert

State law does not cover Federal land. Secondly if you are in a "private" as in away from people location odds are you will not be caught. If you are caught by a ranger and you give it the nice nice. You most likely will not be charged with a crime.

Aug 15 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Thanks. I'm gotten some ideas so far. I know about the state and federal law stuff so I am just looking for good locations with a minimal risk of getting stumbled onto.

Aug 15 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Delete

Aug 16 05 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
Any attorneys or law enforcement folks among us? I really want to believe that it would be ok but can not imagine any state or fed park not having some enforceable rules in place. Such parks are, after all, usually frequented by families.

Just remember a rule is not a law.

Aug 16 05 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Lanceluncheon

Morgantown, Indiana, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
Any attorneys or law enforcement folks among us? I really want to believe that it would be ok but can not imagine any state or fed park not having some enforceable rules in place. Such parks are, after all, usually frequented by families.

The Constitution, Amendment 10

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

Federal Land

There is no federal law against nudity but neither is it a guaranteed right. This means that state, county and local laws can take precedence."

Type in the above quotations on Google or Yahoo, you'll get plenty of web-pages to choose from.
Mikes comments are very misleading.
Being "nice nice" is not exactly the wisest avenue to go if your planning on breakin a law. Might be a better idea not to do it.

LL

Aug 16 05 12:43 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Delete

Aug 16 05 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
Since this is a topic worthy of some research, I did a little.

It seems that the point about there being no federal law in regard to nudity is, at least, partially correct. The problem with this, as considered in the context of our thread, is that state nudity laws apply to federal lands and obviously would in state parks. In California, there are some pretty tough laws and the perpetrators can be subject to up to a year in jail.

In Florida, the law is, indeed, loose. To help understand what happens in a nudity case in Fla, consider the instructions given to juries who must decide one  ....

-----------------------------------------------------------
Standard Instructions to Juries hearing 800.03 cases

Standard Jury Instructions in Criminal Cases
Florida
July 10, 1997

_________________________________________________________________________________

Exposure of sexual organs (in a vulgar or indecent manner)

Florida Statutes Section 800.03 [Amended]

Before you can find the defendant guilty of [Indecent Exposure] [or] [Nakedness], the State must prove the following four elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

Elements

1. (Defendant) [exposed or exhibited [his] [her] sexual organs.] [was naked.]
2. [He] [She] [did so] [was naked] [in a public place.] [on the private premises of another.] [so near the private premises of
    another as to be seen from those private premises.]
3. (Defendant) intended the [exposure or exhibition of [his] [her] sexual organs] [or] [nakedness] to be in a vulgar, indecent,
     lewd or lascivious manner.
4. The [exposure or exhibition of the sexual organs] [or] [nakedness] was in a vulgar, indecent, lewd or lascivious manner.

Proof of mere nudity or exposure is not sufficient to sustain a conviction.

Definitions

As used in regard to this offense the words "vulgar," "indecent," "lewd" and "lascivious" mean the same thing. They mean an unlawful indulgence in lust or a wicked, lustful, unchaste, licentious or sensual intent on the part of the person doing the act.

Acts are not vulgar, indecent, lewd or lascivious unless such acts cause offense to one or more persons viewing those acts or unless the acts substantially intrude upon the right of others.

A "public place" is any place intended or designed to be frequented or resorted to by the public.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I think the issue here, both from the standpoint of trying to prove there is no crime in a nudity case (defendant), and in trying to prove that there was a crime (prosecution), is that of deciding if "such acts cause offense to one or more persons viewing those acts or unless the acts substantially intrude upon the right of others." If I am the one who catches you and I am offended and I report you and press charges, is that enough to meet the standard for a conviction?

No matter which way you think it would go in this hypothetical discussion, do you really want to risk being charged, jailed and tried .... even if you eventually win? Do you want to have to pay an attorney a few thousand bucks for the privilage of taking a few pics?

I am not arguing this point for the sake of argument - hell I want to do some nice nudes in some beautiful setting too. But ... I do think some caution is in order and picking a place that is likely to have it's own law enforcement staff (rangers), not too mention a bunch of people's kids running around, doesn't seem like a good idea to me!

Should we now establish the MM "caught with the goodies hangin out legal defense and bail money fund?"  wink

Thank you for hunting down the law. Most state and federal lands in Florida do not have an active ranger presense. That is why I said to steer clear of the places that have a fee. You are more likely to be caught by a game warden than a ranger.
Here is a case in Fla dealing with nudity and Federal lands. http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3803d5d82b06.htm

Aug 16 05 02:26 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Lets face it folks... this is the US... land 'o the (somewhat) free (most but not all of the time)

and

You could probably do less time in the county jail or state prison for killing someone than for taking your clothes off in any public place or place open to the public.

Studio36

Aug 16 05 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

bump

Aug 18 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

EyeBully

New York, New York, US

Try Fort DeSoto. If you walk pretty far down the beach to the right, you'll be alone there for hours. I almost always see Dolphins there too, so it's a bonus.

Aug 18 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Dhaniel wrote:
Try Fort DeSoto. If you walk pretty far down the beach to the right, you'll be alone there for hours. I almost always see Dolphins there too, so it's a bonus.

Ft. Desoto has been the general consensus. I am going down there for a swimsuit shoot the end of this month. I will have to check it out for potential nude shoots. Thanks. Anybody ever use the Hillsborough River State Park? I know it's huge.

Aug 19 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

NortheastGlamour

Nutley, New Jersey, US

I do glamour workshops in florida west coast I use Anna maria island and the surrounding area of the island, you have private areas and the beach people there dont mind as long as it is creative. last year I did one on Lido beach and I found many private areas to shoot and I used the beach with not a problem I would recomend you go the areas and check it out in different times of the day and then set your shoot.
Lots of luck

Aug 19 05 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

leimage wrote:
I do glamour workshops in florida west coast I use Anna maria island and the surrounding area of the island, you have private areas and the beach people there dont mind as long as it is creative. last year I did one on Lido beach and I found many private areas to shoot and I used the beach with not a problem I would recomend you go the areas and check it out in different times of the day and then set your shoot.
Lots of luck

Thanks. That one is a little far south but I will keep it in mind if I ever go down there.

Aug 20 05 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Some of the keys off of Central Florida are secluded enough.

I have shot some nudes off of W. Cypress Ave in Tampa, near to an industrial park.  Drive to the end of W. Cypress from Westshore - you'll figure it out when you get there.

As for Federal vs. State law - when I lived in NY, there was an established nude beach on Federal land near the Fire Island Lighthouse.  By established, I mean that the National Park Service placed signs at the State/Federal border between Robert Moses State Park and the Fire Island National Seashore informing bathers that there might be nude sunbathing beyond that point.  Given that NY State Law bars nude sunbathing, it would seem that the State law has no effect on the Federal land.   

- Joe

Aug 21 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Joe Tomasone wrote:
Some of the keys off of Central Florida are secluded enough.

I have shot some nudes off of W. Cypress Ave in Tampa, near to an industrial park.  Drive to the end of W. Cypress from Westshore - you'll figure it out when you get there.

As for Federal vs. State law - when I lived in NY, there was an established nude beach on Federal land near the Fire Island Lighthouse.  By established, I mean that the National Park Service placed signs at the State/Federal border between Robert Moses State Park and the Fire Island National Seashore informing bathers that there might be nude sunbathing beyond that point.  Given that NY State Law bars nude sunbathing, it would seem that the State law has no effect on the Federal land.   

- Joe

Laws of States adopted for areas within Federal jurisdiction Allows the prosecution of State laws on Federal land when the Federal law does not cover the act.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS Shows the arguments on both sides concerning nudity on Federal lands. Please note in Fla counties control the beaches except on Fedreal lands. (I think, not sure) WARNING the last link is to minutes of a Govt. meeting, so grab a sandwich and watch your tax money at work.

Aug 22 05 02:49 am Link