Forums > General Industry > The Bigger the Watermark, the Smaller the.........

Model

Wonderhussy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Does anyone notice a correlation between the size of a photographer's watermark and the quality of his work?

Is this akin to the "guys who drive big trucks" rule?

Discuss!

Mar 16 12 12:17 am Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lol

Mar 16 12 12:21 am Link

Model

Roberta H

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ideas of grandeur. It happens.

Mar 16 12 12:24 am Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

I don't see this going anywhere good...

Photographer

Gloria Budiman

New York, New York, US

Wonderhussy wrote:
Does anyone notice a correlation between the size of a photographer's watermark and the quality of his work?

Discuss!

I saw a big watermark across the subject on one photographer - his work is utter crap, shot full-matic.  Watermark gets in the way of the main subject, the model, destroying the entire pic composition.

I saw a small, nicely designed watermark, on a corner of a picture, doesn't get in the way of the subject and the composition. A pic from a well-known photographer.

So I believe the size of the watermark is inversely proportional to the quality of one's work. But who am I to generalize this? There will be outliers.

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russell

There are guys who think their photos are the best ever, and that everyone else is out there trying to steal them, or copy their ideas, etc etc. They'll talk about how they've spent thousands on the most expensive lenses, and that sort of thing.

And the people who actually ARE good, don't think they're good... so they don't even feel confident enough to post their work, at all. Because they're too busy studying the greatest photographers of all time, and then looking at their work, and feeling it's not good enough.

Mar 16 12 12:28 am Link

Model

Roberta H

I think it's a legitimate concern for photographers to want to protect their work but I find the watermark makes a photo completely unimpressive and yes, makes me think of ego. I know on flickr you can protect your photos from being saved but people can still print screen them.

in a more positive light though, wouldn't it be awesome if people kept stealing your photos and advertising your work because it was so unbelievably amazing? I can understand that it would be super frustrating for someone else to take the credit but whoever does that is not really worth the time of day. Plus, I suppose you could be losing a paying client, but if they really want to use your photo for anything commercial they have to buy it off you anyway.

Strange times!

Mar 16 12 12:34 am Link

Model

Roberta H

dave phoenix wrote:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russell

There are guys who think their photos are the best ever, and that everyone else is out there trying to steal them, or copy their ideas, etc etc. They'll talk about how they've spent thousands on the most expensive lenses, and that sort of thing.

And the people who actually ARE good, don't think they're good... so they don't even feel confident enough to post their work, at all. Because they're too busy studying the greatest photographers of all time, and then looking at their work, and feeling it's not good enough.

Sometimes I think success and unrealistic ideas of self are combined. If you're confident in yourself selling yourself is so much easier.

Mar 16 12 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Roberta H wrote:
Strange times!

Agreed smile

Mar 16 12 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This thread is based on ignorance of what and why pros use watermarksand it seems many of the responses are also.

A watermarking for...

1. Protecting one's work from unauthorized use.

2. Branding - if have studied any advanced marketing psychology you will understand why this isso important.

3. Publicity and marketing when your images do get stolen and they will always get stolen, saved, passed around on the web without a watermark there is no way to gt credit for the images. This is no different than if a company ran a print add without their logo. Which would be utterly stupid,make goes for not watermarking I the digital world.

4. It Helps to prevent some Asshole from trying to Pass your work off as theirs to get jobs and try to get models to TF with them.

If we were only in print then yes maybe it would not be as nessary but that's not the case and some unobtrusive watermark can be easily cropped out leaving you with no credit. Often if the client likes your work they ask for a watermarked copy be use they want people to see they shot with you'll to give you publicity.

I don't think my work sucks and from my comments and client many other people tend to agree and I have a big watermark. So do some of the best photographers on here in fact many go across the middle of the image. From what I have seen some of the best have the biggest watermarks as they actually have something to protect and they know it. Me personally I'm just a fanatic about protecting my copyrights as I have been ripped off before and had to sue and settled for $10k.

Mar 16 12 01:30 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

not this guy:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/060828/01/44f2881707589_m.jpg

Mar 16 12 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Nor this guy; one of my fav photographers!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120126/21/4f22301e94773.jpg

Mar 16 12 01:35 am Link

Model

Edeline Wrigh

Bloomington, Indiana, US

I wouldn't say this is true.

I will say that I generally find that large watermarks detract from the image.

Mar 16 12 01:35 am Link

Model

Roberta H

Those are great photos but I get distracted by giant watermarks. Also note, they're not covering the models face or body which I have seen happen.

I also notice that both are more glamour/beauty style photos with more obvious lighting enhancement and skin retouching. I find that's a trend as well but I may be wrong.

Mar 16 12 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Miss Havisham Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Nico Simon Princely wrote:
This thread is based on ignorance of what and why pros use watermarksand it seems many of the responses are also.

A watermarking for...

1. Protecting one's work from unauthorized use.

2. Branding - if have studied any advanced marketing psychology you will understand why this isso important.

3. Publicity and marketing when your images do get stolen and they will .....

+1

Some of the best photograpghers on here use big watermarks. Here are a few that pop to mind: GW Burns, Phillipe, Wangerin. All incredible photographers. Another amazing photographer that uses a small watermark - TH. If  you're saying "TH who?" then you don't know nothin. Watermarks are about branding and protecting your images. Arguing that the people who do it don't have anything to protect is opinion depending on who's viewing and who's watermarking. hmmmn. I do believe this thread has now been discussed to it's fullest extent.

Mar 16 12 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Miss Havisham Phtgrphy wrote:
+1

Some of the best photograpghers on here use big watermarks. Here are a few that pop to mind: GW Burns, Phillipe, Wangerin. All incredible photographers. Another amazing photographer that uses a small watermark - TH. If  you're saying "TH who?" then you don't know nothin. Watermarks are about branding and protecting your images. Arguing that the people who do it don't have anything to protect is opinion depending on who's viewing and who's watermarking. hmmmn. I do believe this thread has now been discussed to it's fullest extent.

quis a inflatus ass

Oh the irony.

Mar 16 12 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Garrett Sanders

Bloomington, Illinois, US

I have heard that the top photographers "watermark" their images by their style.  That is, their style is so unique and distinctive that people recognize their work without need of a watermark.

That being said, I think a small, unobtrusive watermark is not objectionable to most people and is akin to a painter signing their painting.

Mar 16 12 02:23 am Link

Photographer

DBIphotography Events

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Garrett Sanders wrote:
I have heard that the top photographers "watermark" their images by their style.  That is, their style is so unique and distinctive that people recognize their work without need of a watermark.

That being said, I think a small, unobtrusive watermark is not objectionable to most people and is akin to a painter signing their painting.

+1

There are very few photographers with ginormous logos that make it work. However, I'd be interested in seeing how well their work is received without the easily-identifiable logo.

When I really stunk, I had a grossly-large logo. I compensated by making the image equally large tongue  I improved, I reduced the size of my logo - but I started giving the words colours to draw attention. Then, I reduced size again and stopped dropping the logo/watermark all over the place (anywhere). Then one day, it sunk in...and I stopped embedding a logo. I now embed a very small very faint copyright notice, a signature of you will. That's just me, however. I've noticed an increase in positive response to my stuff posted online on various sites with each change big_smile

IMHO alone, as always;

~Danny
http://www.dbiphotography.com/

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be. Anyone who questions the weight of my opinion(s) is free to validate my words based upon their review of my work – which may/may not be supportive.

Mar 16 12 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

...often serves to illustrate the photographer's deficits as a graphic designer.

There are those cases where it's a blessing that it obscures some of the image.

Mar 16 12 05:37 am Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

The size of a watermark does not correlate to a photographers skill set as someone has already pointed out that some of the best photographers have large watermarks.

It is the application of a watermark that connects to a photographers style. Done properly a watermark will bring attention to the image.

Mar 16 12 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
...often serves to illustrate the photographer's deficits as a graphic designer.

There are those cases where it's a blessing that it obscures some of the image.

+1 ahahahahahahahahahaha lol

I personally don't like water marks. You want people to know where the photo came from or advertise your studio great, do it on the bottom of photo so it doesn't distract/kill the photo.

This is a nice one
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/429892_10151384656560433_548810432_23358795_74075672_n.jpg

Models/mua/stylist and even agencies don't complain about it because it doesn't take away from the photo and people still end up knowing who shot it and where it came from... Not to mention you can add more detail and not look overcrowded big_smile

Mar 16 12 05:51 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Actually the last example is very old school and still popular.  When we made prints we would add credits to the white boarders (sometime with a typewriter lol )

Mar 16 12 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

AJScalzitti wrote:
Actually the last example is very old school and still popular.  When we made prints we would add credits to the white boarders (sometime with a typewriter lol )

That sounds bad ass!

Sometimes old school gets it right... Why try to fix something if it aint broken tongue teehe

Mar 16 12 06:02 am Link

Photographer

TXPHOTO

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I thought a watermark was a very small, semi-transparent mark to identify the creator, usually in the bottom corner, and almost never seen.  Arent you talking about logos?

Mar 16 12 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

I don't know... However, I can tell you, that when I see no watermark it often equates to a smaller brain!

tongue

It is extremely frustrating to come across someones image, whether it be a photo or a work of art and have absolutely no idea who it is because they did not watermark.  People right click and share images all the time - especially with social networking.. why in the world would you not want to get your name out there? 

People who think their work is so unique that it would be identifiable among millions upon millions of images on the internet, are truly the delusional one's with inflated egos.

Second, it helps prevent theft.  Notice I said "helps".  It doesn't guarantee and yes, they can still steal your image.  They are just much less likely to since there are a shitload of images with no watermark that they can go after.

These are the two main reasons why I think people who don't watermark are dumb and/or delusional.

Mar 16 12 06:26 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

popcorn

Mar 16 12 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Marshall n Julia

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Moon Pix Photography wrote:
I don't know... However, I can tell you, that when I see no watermark it often equates to a smaller brain!

tongue

It is extremely frustrating to come across someones image, whether it be a photo or a work of art and have absolutely no idea who it is because they did not watermark.  People right click and share images all the time - especially with social networking.. why in the world would you not want to get your name out there? 

People who think their work is so unique that it would be identifiable among millions upon millions of images on the internet, are truly the delusional one's with inflated egos.

Second, it helps prevent theft.  Notice I said "helps".  It doesn't guarantee and yes, they can still steal your image.  They are just much less likely to since there are a shitload of images with no watermark that they can go after.

These are the two main reasons why I think people who don't watermark are dumb and/or delusional.

Guilty as charged! Maybe I'll spend this rainy weekend slapping watermarks on my images...maybe. I'm not only dumb but lazy as well. lol

Mar 16 12 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

... when they become utterly successful and well known... the watermark will get smaller.

Mar 16 12 07:27 am Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

whats a watermark?..lol..

Mar 16 12 07:35 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Wonderhussy wrote:

Discuss!

I know a few very well known photographers, whose watermark is quite big (one of them, the initials occupy almost 1/4 of the image) and their work is outstandingly stunning...

So... dunno about your assumption... but it's still a fun thought... wink

Mar 16 12 07:59 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

I stopped watermarking, I just want to bait people into unauthorized reproduction of my images so I can copyright troll them as a viable business plan

but at one point I had like 5 watermarks, mainly for informative purposes (like website address) and to deter copying

Mar 16 12 08:09 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I don't watermark photos because I don't like the way it looks.

Watermarks look tacky and pretentious in 99% of cases. I'd rather take my chances of somebody not being able to trace me from one of my photos than for the majority of people who see it to think I'm an ass for watermarking it.

Anybody who gets too precious about images they put on the web is focusing on the wrong thing. Once an image goes on the web it's fair game for anybody to steal, pass off, copy... whatever. If an infringement of my copyright comes to my attention then I may do something about it; if not, then what I don't know doesn't hurt me. Images I put on the web are effectively throwaway advertising materials to me, nothing more.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Mar 16 12 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Its the web & people steal shit (& randomly repost it elsewhere).

If people want to view the work w/o those "unsightly" watermarks, I'm sure the photographer will sell you a hard copy print for a small fee.

Mar 16 12 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
Its the web & people steal shit (& randomly repost it elsewhere).

If people want to view the work w/o those "unsightly" watermarks, I'm sure the photographer will sell you a hard copy print for a small fee.

+1

Mar 16 12 08:19 am Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm currently working on a way to have the most densely populated eXIF file on record and then figuring out a way to prevent websites from stripping it

Mar 16 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Most of the examples here don't qualify as a watermark in the real world.
A watermark is a low contrast low key large logo or text that renders the photo unusable, but tries not to cover up the image too much so that a trained eye can still see if they like the image or not.

A big name over the top of the image like a magazine cover is not a watermark. It can be quite elegant and good marketing in some cases, but does not have the functionality of a watermark. Crop the top off and the photo can still be snitched, used in someones layout etc etc.

It like calling retouching editing..... two different things.

I am obliged to use a large watermark on postings of my celebrity clients due to websites stealing images left right and center.

It is ridiculous out there. I have even had accessory makers steal images and put them on their website... and I'm talking about brands that sell in Bloomingdale's and a recognizable celebrity. It's a good source of income for me, but I prefer to avoid these problems.

Mar 16 12 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Drew Smith Photography wrote:

He is a great photographer.  BUT, if you go to his actual website, you notice he doesn't watermark a lot of his images there.

http://www.wildevision.com/#mi=1&pt=0&p … 1&a=0&at=0

Just about every top photographer's site I go to, I rarely see watermarks.

Mar 16 12 08:41 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Wonderhussy wrote:

Discuss!

In general yes ----

Mar 16 12 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Drew Smith Photography wrote:

This is not a watermark. It's a header. Very different.

However if an image like the above was stolen and the header was cropped out cropping as little as possible you have a very strong case to sue as it shows malicious intent....

There is also software that lets you put in an invisible watermark that can be revealed with software, even from reproduced copies in print etc. That is always fun in a legal case.

Mar 16 12 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
then what I don't know doesn't hurt me.

Sometimes you can lose work due to missuses of your images.

I know of one case where I almost lost an ad campaign because a client had seen a layout in an art directors portfolio that was a mockup of an ad for a competitor with a very recognizable image of mine. my prospective client was just under the assumption that I was going to or had worked for the competitor. My agent caught this one by chance....

Just for the record you can sue if an ad agency uses an image of yours in a layout without your permission as it is commercial work due to the fact that they are using your image to solicit work from a client.

Mar 16 12 08:58 am Link