Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Dystopian Movies.

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

You know the kind of movies where the government has gone bonkers mad and turned the place into a virtual prison..

The Running Man
Hunger Games
Brave New World
Logan's Run et al.

I find them amusing and whenever I watch I like ot make up my own back stories to this and I can't help but think the people "let it happen" let their world become like that.

Of course these stories exist to entertain and not run for 3 hour epics to fill our need for information on their worlds to satisfy the viewer. But I just like to sit back, enjooy the film, and go "ha ha" at the general population in them while cheering for the hero..

And why are these kind of movies popular? Is it that the heros are just common "everyman" type of people?

Discuss.........

Mar 19 12 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

People like good storytelling.
Good storytelling requires a protagonist who faces a challenge.

Protagonist with no challenge = no story.
Challenge with no protagonist to face it = no story.

A dystopian society -- whether it's played dead-serious (1984) or played for laughs (Brazil) or a combination of both (Escape From New York) -- poses a great challenge.

Not all protagonists in dystopian stories are everymen. Escape From New York's Snake Plisskin was a former Special Forces legend. Will Smith's character in I Am Legend was a high-ranking figure with training to deal with the plague that wiped out the world. In those stories, an everyman would be grossly inadequate to the task.

One everyman protagonist who does come to mind is from Golden Age SF: Isherwood Smith from Earth Abides. His everyman status played a direct role in the story, in that he had no special talents to deal with the almost-complete wiping out of the human species. He was left to restore humankind (and back to the then-present [1948] level of civilization) with nothing but resourcefulness, powers of persuasion, and hope.

Mar 19 12 03:37 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I love these movies. Don't know exactly why, but I do.

Mar 19 12 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
why are these kind of movies popular?

question which has intrigued others ...

Mar 19 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
You know the kind of movies where the government has gone bonkers mad and turned the place into a virtual prison..

Almost any documentary about George W. Bush administration.
Unfortunately, it's not fiction.

Mar 19 12 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

DeniseRegan Photography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Does "V for Vendetta" qualify? LOVE that movie.

Mar 19 12 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Clarence Zimmerman

Orlando, Florida, US

The original one : Metropolis all others must bow to this movie and are derivatives of this movie...

Even an Apple Macintosh Commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsWzJo2 … re=related which I'm sure NOT so coincidentally was released in 1984 (the actual year - as opposed to the movie by the same number...)

As well as 1984 the actual movie/book not the year by the same number, The Running Man, Hunger Games, Brave New World, Logan's Run, Blade Runner etc etc etc

Especially the two bolded ones...

made in 1927 by Fritz Lang's http://www.kino.com/metropolis/ official site by the current copyright holders

note: 1984 was first published in 1949 long after Fritz Lang's Metropolis was created

Mar 19 12 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
And why are these kind of movies popular? Is it that the heros are just common "everyman" type of people?

Mainly because it's fun to imagine what we would do in that situation. "How would you survive a zombie apocalypse?" type of discussions are always very popular.

Mar 19 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

I never viewed Blade Runner as a dystopia.... I think more a fractured world. As people were free to come and go as they wanted. They bought and sold replicants to do dirty, grungy work, and I'm pretty sure some other stuff that humans would loathe like the Darryl Hannah character who was manufactured as a living sex doll.

I viewed the replicants as unwilling particiapants bordering on slaves.

Mar 19 12 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

DeniseRegan Photography wrote:

DEFINITELY.

And "V" was just one man who manages to galvanise everyone to rebel against the government. The ending of this movie was great. People power. My point with these fictions is we never really know why or how the population view their world. Did it just happen or did no one bother to protest? 

Take 1984 for example. How and why did this happen, and did the people realise what was happening?

Mar 19 12 07:28 pm Link

Model

Roberta H

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I actually just started reading 1984 and I find it HILARIOUS so far. It must be because Orwell is british but the irony is just painful sometimes.

Haven't watched the movie yet, curious to see how they interpreted it. I'm only in 100 pages though I'm sure there will be a shit storm soon.

Mar 19 12 10:24 pm Link

Model

Roberta H

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I actually just started reading 1984 and I find it HILARIOUS so far. It must be because Orwell is british but the irony is just painful sometimes.

Haven't watched the movie yet, curious to see how they interpreted it. I'm only in 100 pages though I'm sure there will be a shit storm soon.

Mar 19 12 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

Brave New World is very close to an ideal utopia that I independently made up (before being referred to read that book)

I disagree with most in how they call it dystopian

there are a couple tweaks in my ideal, for instance, there would be no lesser society, no deltas, gammas etc.

in my version, birth would be more natural, more akin to a queen in a hive, instead of by engineering/poisoning all of the fetuses like in brave new world

Mar 19 12 10:29 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

God I love this movie  tongue

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDkal9_5aU&lis … plpp_video

Mar 19 12 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Roberta H wrote:

What do you find so hilarious about it?

Mar 19 12 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Orca Bay Images wrote:

What do you find so hilarious about it?

Yeah I'm curious about that too. The book was anything but hilarious

Mar 20 12 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Ditto!  One of my favorites. 

Also like "12 Monkeys".

Mar 20 12 01:46 am Link

Photographer

DVNT

Los Angeles, California, US

12 Monkeys! Just watched it 2 nights ago. Favorite. And I love Dystopian films.

Mar 20 12 02:39 am Link

Photographer

DVNT

Los Angeles, California, US

Brazil (also written & directed by Terry Gilliam) is not to be missed.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KiZTy-1sprY/TpYcI3KiMAI/AAAAAAAAAIs/moZt_IX-1_Y/s1600/brazil777.jpg

Mar 20 12 02:42 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Did you read the graphic novel that the movie was based on? After reading it, it kind of ruined the movie for me...

Mar 20 12 08:29 am Link