Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > I would love some constructive comments

Retoucher

IMPhoto

Houston, Texas, US

I'm very new to retouching. This is probably the 5th or 6th image I have worked with. I am mainly concerned on whether I have over processed this?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120321/21/4f6aa54253293.jpg

Mar 21 12 09:10 pm Link

Retoucher

Bradford Retouching

West Hollywood, California, US

It is a bit over-retouched and the masking/composting could be cleaner. Keep up at it though.

Mar 21 12 10:54 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

yes you did over process it...and what you did to her skin is not acceptable anymore.
here is a good channel for you to start learning...just watch the English ones big_smile :
http://www.youtube.com/user/jonaswtuts/videos

Mar 21 12 11:13 pm Link

Retoucher

BorderlineBunny

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Too contrasty...

Mar 22 12 01:25 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouch007

East Newark, New Jersey, US

Just keep in mind that the more you take out the more fake it looks. I like the idea but for me she doesn't look human. I think this would work for Glamour retouching and they are lots of retouchers on MM that do this look (in minutes I have seen the comments "Here my quick attempt in 25mins"). If that is what you were trying to do please disregard what I said because I know close to nothing when it comes to Glamour retouching.

Mar 24 12 10:23 am Link

Photographer

HJPhoto

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

The first image is much nicer! Why does it even need retouching? Her face is perfect! Just deblob the background and you're done!

Mar 24 12 10:37 am Link

Retoucher

MM020

Braşov, Braşov, Romania

Yes, it looks over-done. I would suggest you look up dodging and burning as opposed to blurring for skin smoothing.

Mar 24 12 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Black Stallion Photos

Amsterdam, New York, US

HJPhoto wrote:
The first image is much nicer! Why does it even need retouching? Her face is perfect! Just deblob the background and you're done!

+1

Mar 24 12 02:14 pm Link

Retoucher

IMPhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Thank you all for your honesty. It really is appreciated. I will come back and redo this image in a couple of months and see where I am.

As far as the photo needing retouching, I'm sure you are right and that it does not need it. I only used this image for practice. And it was put up on this forum for that very reason.

Thanks guys.

Mar 28 12 06:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Robert LC

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

IAM Photo Retouch wrote:
As far as the photo needing retouching, I'm sure you are right and that it does not need it. I only used this image for practice. And it was put up on this forum for that very reason.

Thanks guys.

In the end, that can never be an excuse. If you really think an image does not need any retouching, then dont retouch it wink

Really, if you watch a gazillion high end retouching portfolio's (also from photographers who offer retouching) you'll see that some have very minor changes while others are more drastic..even with very similar images. The endresult may look similar but nothing too much has been done, only what was necessary.

Try to look at it in this way, ask yourself these questions:
What's the focus of the image?
What's distracting from this focus?
How can I remove/reduce the distraction while keeping the integrity
of the image?
Then learn the techniques that fit best with the particular 'problems'.
The 'best' technique is often a mix of quality, control and speed. Many good posts
here on mm, blogs and youtube channels (like natalia's or earlier mentioned Johannes) and retouchpro.com

^^^
All reasoned from a 'basic' retouching perspective. Fashion, beauty, not really composites, manipulations etc.

In this image you could start with make-up, background and 'shaping' (contouring/carving) her neck and face for some depth.
Look at your before/after once in a while, during retouching. You're more likely to catch things you missed or overdid.

Mar 28 12 07:36 pm Link