Forums > Photography Talk > canon 5d m3 recall?

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Apr 12 12 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I can't see how they would recall the cameras over a firmware issue.  They might delay new shipments and update them at the factory before sending them out.  It would seem that they could deal with cameras in the field by doing a firmware upgrade.

Perhaps there is more to the story.

Apr 12 12 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

ei Total Productions wrote:
I can't see how they would recall the cameras over a firmware issue.  They might delay new shipments and update them at the factory before sending them out.  It would seem that they could deal with cameras in the field by doing a firmware upgrade.

a good bit more to the story

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1104080

Apr 12 12 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Maxximages wrote:
a good bit more to the story

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1104080

Thank you for the link.  There is a lot of chatter and a lot of comments, but still no official information.  It does affirm that something is definitely going on.  The question remains, what?

Apr 12 12 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Kansas City, Missouri, US

The most logical speculation I've seen is that they want to drop new CD's into the boxes before they get to customers, for a known issue with DPP. There's no known hardware issue with cameras in the field.

Apr 12 12 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jonathan Ocab

Riverside, California, US

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:
The most logical speculation I've seen is that they want to drop new CD's into the boxes before they get to customers, for a known issue with DPP. There's no known hardware issue with cameras in the field.

As incredulous as it may seem, I feel that is the most logical reason.

Considering how Canon controls the DPP software (they don't allow downloads; they require physical media to install from initially), holding back stock and putting in a new CD seems like what they are doing.

Apr 12 12 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:

That is certainly possible.  I have read about issues though.   Even in the thread that was posted above there was an issue.  I haven't heard about many widespread issues though.

I suspect that we will here some kind of official information next week.  I can't imagine they would recall cameras for a DVD.  They might postpone shipping though one ones that haven't gone out.

Apr 12 12 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's not unheard of for a manufacture to recall a product based on packaging, usually it's when a misprint or the like opens them up to some liability but not always.

Apr 12 12 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Some people will admit there is something wrong while others will never admit anything wrong with it, not matter how much proof you put in front of them.

It is all the users.. They either imagining thing or making things up. smile

Anyway.  From company's point of view.  Why would they want to send a large packaging box vs sending user CD directly (which is cheaper)?   Unless of course there is something that the user can't do it at home and it requires some twisting/configuration to the hardware itself.

Apr 12 12 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

That is certainly possible.  I have read about issues though.   Even in the thread that was posted above there was an issue.  I haven't heard about many widespread issues though.

I suspect that we will here some kind of official information next week.  I can't imagine they would recall cameras for a DVD.  They might postpone shipping though one ones that haven't gone out.

Yeah, exactly. If something is going on, it seems at this point that it's not really a "recall," which would imply that people who own this camera would be sending theirs back to Canon. With so many now in the field, if there was a real issue, I think we'd have heard about it by now. The IS issue with the 200 f/2 IS seems like a firmware fix.

Apr 12 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
Anyway.  From company's point of view.  Why would they want to send a large packaging box vs sending user CD directly (which is cheaper)?   Unless of course there is something that the user can't do it at home and it requires some twisting/configuration to the hardware itself.

That is why I think that anything is possible, but right now, it is all just speculation.  I, really and truly, have no idea why this is happening.  I am sure, in time, we will find out.

Apr 12 12 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Devil Mountain Photo

Pleasant Hill, California, US

Jonathan Ocab wrote:
Considering how Canon controls the DPP software (they don't allow downloads; they require physical media to install from initially)

Slightly off the subject of the OP but actually if you download the DPP updates from Canon you can install it if you already have the registry entries in Windows from the original CD installer. These entries can be found online, meaning you can apply them to the Windows registry without the install media. It is a bit of a hassle, but good to know if you lose your install media. The update package is a full set of software.

Apr 12 12 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Hope they update the firmware to fix that stupid preview/ zoom buttons.

Apr 12 12 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

COI Photography

Lafayette, California, US

I don't believe there will be a recall.  I would think its more a delay in shipping and the a firmware update for a very specific type of use (certain lenses). 

The focus system on the 5d3 is more difficult to learn and harder for people to use from the 5d m2.  I think that is confusing some people.

Apr 12 12 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

MC Grain

New York, New York, US

K E S L E R wrote:
Hope they update the firmware to fix that stupid preview/ zoom buttons.

That would be nice. I'm messed on both of my cameras now. It's really annoying.

Apr 12 12 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

At least Canon has product in the pipeline to recall...

Apr 13 12 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Some people will admit there is something wrong while others will never admit anything wrong with it, not matter how much proof you put in front of them.

Maybe because, for them, there is nothing wrong?

Apr 13 12 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Brian Woods

Chester, England, United Kingdom

Canon USA have issued an product advisory notice for the 5d3 now

it seems light from the LCD can affect the exposure in dark environments.

Apr 13 12 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Brian Woods wrote:
Canon USA have issued an product advisory notice for the 5d3 now

it seems light from the LCD can affect the exposure in dark environments.

Then it sounds like the word "recall" was correct.  I doubt that this is something they can fix in the field.  It also explains why they stopped all shipments.

It sounds like a minor problem that they can fix easily.

Apr 13 12 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
Maybe because, for them, there is nothing wrong?

Yeap.. Nothing wrong...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/c … 2480538fc7

As a matter of fact, Canon itself also made up that light leak stuff..

The same way some people never encounter pattern noise either.

Apr 13 12 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

Canon seems to have learned their lesson from the 1D III fiasco and is aggressively handling what seems, to me, to be an extremely minor issue.

Apr 13 12 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:
Canon seems to have learned their lesson from the 1D III fiasco and is aggressively handling what seems, to me, to be an extremely minor issue.

My sense is that it is a minor problem, but still a problem, none the less.  I doubt that it affects many people.  The problem is that the Internet has a habit of making small problems large problems.

So, I agree with you.  They do need to deal with this.  I give them kudos for doing it quickly.

Apr 13 12 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

My sense is that it is a minor problem, but still a problem, none the less.  I doubt that it affects many people.  The problem is that the Internet has a habit of making small problems large problems.

So, I agree with you.  They do need to deal with this.  I give them kudos for doing it quickly.

i'm confused.  The LCD is on the outside of the camera.  The AE sensor is on the inside. How is it even possible that the light from the LCD is able to affect the sensor without using a minimum of two 45 degree mirrors or two prisms or a light pipe?

Apr 13 12 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
i'm confused.  The LCD is on the outside of the camera.  The AE sensor is on the inside. How is it even possible that the light from the LCD is able to affect the sensor without using a minimum of two 45 degree mirrors or two prisms or a light pipe?

I wondered the same thing.  The answer is:  "I dunno, but it is!"

Apr 13 12 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I wondered the same thing.  The answer is:  "I dunno, but it is!"

the more I think about it, absent periscopes and other spy devices, the only way for light to get there is via a 2-step error
1) light coming out of the back of the LCD
2) the alleged 'light leak' allowing the light from the back of the LCD to reach the AE sensor.

if anyone can think of another way (without smoke and mirrors since smoke introduces too much loss ) to get to the AE sensor I'd love to be wrong. But if I'm not it looks more like a major than a minor problem to fix.

Apr 13 12 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

studio 64-20

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

This one also came out about a possible difference between newer and original versions of the 5D mk3, concerning the cover on the top LCD

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/cano … +Rumors%29

Apr 13 12 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

faltered

I got my 5D III yesterday and I have to say i’m not in love with it. But what is causing me problems (besides it not being compatible with much of anything) is that I can not get a critical sharp focus. I will get a focus lock but when I process the image and zoom in on the eyeball (where I got the focus lock) it’s soft. I can shoot the same lens on different bodies (not 5d III’s) and get sharp focus. I’ve entered the lens serial numbers into the 5DIII and that compensation adjustment doesn’t work either. Doesn’t matter if i’m using the 61pt, 15pt, or 9pt focus. This is just a personal gripe but for me the camera is really unrealistic to shoot fashion with until the battery grip is released. The demo I used from Canon came with a battery grip so i assumed it was already out. Between those problems and Lightroom 4 being a total POS shooting has become a total frustration

Apr 13 12 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Mini Photography

Tempe, Arizona, US

Hmm, no focus issues here.  There is a 50 page pdf on using the focus system.  Yes 50 pages.

Apr 13 12 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

faltered

Orcatek Photography wrote:
Hmm, no focus issues here.  There is a 50 page pdf on using the focus system.  Yes 50 pages.

I know. I’ve been using the 61pt on 1DS for a long time, but still i have gone through the manual  it over and over. If you google "5dIII focus problems” or variations of it you will see there are a lot of people having the same problem and many of them also shoot the 1dIII or IV and know how to use the AF system. You can’t tell unless you print the photo large format or zoom in but it is soft.

Apr 13 12 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

faltered wrote:
I know. I’ve been using the 61pt on 1DS for a long time, but still i have gone through the manual  it over and over. If you google "5dIII focus problems” or variations of it you will see there are a lot of people having the same problem and many of them also shoot the 1dIII or IV and know how to use the AF system. You can’t tell unless you print the photo large format or zoom in but it is soft.

The 1DS series uses a less sophisticated 45 point autofocus system, not 61 point.

Apr 13 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

faltered wrote:

Interesting. I did as you suggested and searched the web for "5dIII focus problems" and found a single photographer complaining on the Canon Rumors forum about having difficulty at a wedding with his brand new 5D Mk III. Apparently he didn't like the answers, because he quit the forum.

Beyond that, there's a guy over on DP Review who doesn't own the Mk III complaining about it.

And... nothing.

https://galleries.stevemelvin.com/mk_III.png

Apr 13 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

faltered

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:

Interesting. I did as you suggested and searched the web for "5dIII focus problems" and found a single photographer complaining on the Canon Rumors forum about having difficulty at a wedding with his brand new 5D Mk III. Apparently he didn't like the answers, because he quit the forum.

Beyond that, there's a guy over on DP Review who doesn't own the Mk III complaining about it.

And... nothing.

https://galleries.stevemelvin.com/mk_III.png

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index. … ic=5122.15

this guy must be lying about reading about it everywhere too
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/5d-mark-iii-focus-problems

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/cano … iii-2.html

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/10 … -a-33.html

Do you want me to continue or do you think you can handle a google search on your own now? I don’t care if you believe it or not I was simply giving my input on flaws with the 5D III

Apr 13 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

faltered wrote:

Leggy Mountbatten wrote:
Interesting. I did as you suggested and searched the web for "5dIII focus problems" and found ,,,a single photographercomplaining on the Canon Rumors forum about having difficulty at a wedding with his brand new 5D Mk III. Apparently he didn't like the answers, because he quit the forum.

What you are describing frustrates me more than anything else around here. Wheter it is Canon, NIkon, Sony, Hassy, or whoever, one person has a problem, compalins and suddenly it becomes widespread.   It doesn't matter that the manufacturer finds nothing, no reliable site or testing source confirms it, because someone complains there has to be a problem.

I know I sound like a skeptic at times.  I am sure that some of these problmes are real, but many are just flukes or user error.  The web has a way of taking something small and turning it into a monster.

Apr 13 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

MC Grain

New York, New York, US

faltered wrote:
I got my 5D III yesterday and I have to say i’m not in love with it. But what is causing me problems (besides it not being compatible with much of anything) is that I can not get a critical sharp focus. I will get a focus lock but when I process the image and zoom in on the eyeball (where I got the focus lock) it’s soft. I can shoot the same lens on different bodies (not 5d III’s) and get sharp focus. I’ve entered the lens serial numbers into the 5DIII and that compensation adjustment doesn’t work either. Doesn’t matter if i’m using the 61pt, 15pt, or 9pt focus. This is just a personal gripe but for me the camera is really unrealistic to shoot fashion with until the battery grip is released. The demo I used from Canon came with a battery grip so i assumed it was already out. Between those problems and Lightroom 4 being a total POS shooting has become a total frustration

Is this happening with small apertures?

Apr 13 12 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Leggy Mountbatten

faltered wrote:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index. … ic=5122.15

That was the guy to took his toys and ran home that I was talking about.

faltered wrote:
this guy must be lying about reading about it everywhere too
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/5d-mark-iii-focus-problems

I never accused anybody of lying. So yeah, a single post on Tumblr. And?

faltered wrote:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/cano … iii-2.html

This one was a guy who had some questions about it. Still no smoking gun that I can see.

faltered wrote:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/10 … -a-33.html

That thread had nothing whatsoever about a focusing issue. Did you actually look at any of these? Or were you lazy and just assume that these had some relevant information?

faltered wrote:
Do you want me to continue or do you think you can handle a google search on your own now? I don’t care if you believe it or not I was simply giving my input on flaws with the 5D III

It's amusing being talked down to by somebody who needs to follow his own advice. The image I posted was the first page of results I got. I can tell from the links you posted that you didn't really find much of anything, either.

Apr 13 12 08:09 pm Link

Apr 15 12 11:09 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

LOL, on:

For example I tried to shoot the full moon tonight in Japan. My 1D4 would have had no problem getting this shot, but my 5D Mark III could not deliver a single shot in focus. I tried mirror lock-up and shooting with a remote on a tripod to eliminate camera shake but still couldn’t get a single in focus shot. I used to get these shot handheld with my 1D4. So this confirms for me that focus problems of the 5DIII are real.

Apr 15 12 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

This still going on?  I thought it is decided that there is absolutely no issue with 5DIII?  The 5DIII is perfect and it is the best camera Canon ever produced?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ … id=C126149

Apr 15 12 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

This still going on?  I thought it is decided that there is absolutely no issue with 5DIII?  The 5DIII is perfect and it is the best camera Canon ever produced?

Canon needs you!!!

Apr 15 12 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Canon needs you!!!

They do.. They will love me for sure.. smile

Canon is awesome and it is perfect.  There is no other cameras in the world can make better Camera than Canon.  Just look at the white lenses and the flourite element and the flourite element isn't even afraid of heat.

Seriously?  Who needs high DR on RAW file when you have such awesome 22MP that can produce absolutely wonderful smooth JPG images.  More is less isn't it?  I mean, 8 bits is better than 16 bits right?

Apr 15 12 04:57 pm Link