Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop help - snap to fit

Photographer

Session36 Photography

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Hello.  I use to use a functionality snap function/guideline(?) to have an image automatically fit/position/resize when dropped and dragged another document say a border.  Here is what I want to do.  In photoshop, I created a document that resembles a Polaroid frame. When I add an image (drop/drag using the move tool) I have to keep resizing and position the image.  I want to add the snap (think thats what it is called) to my polaroid frame, so I can easily just drop the images on top of it, and have it resize and fit into place automatically.  As luck would have it, I can't for the life of me remember how to set it up.  Hope I'm clear in what I need.  THANKS SO MUCH! Brian

Apr 27 12 07:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Lanenga

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Session36 Photography wrote:
Hello.  I use to use a functionality snap function/guideline(?) to have an image automatically fit/position/resize when dropped and dragged another document say a border.  Here is what I want to do.  In photoshop, I created a document that resembles a Polaroid frame. When I add an image (drop/drag using the move tool) I have to keep resizing and position the image.  I want to add the snap (think thats what it is called) to my polaroid frame, so I can easily just drop the images on top of it, and have it resize and fit into place automatically.  As luck would have it, I can't for the life of me remember how to set it up.  Hope I'm clear in what I need.  THANKS SO MUCH! Brian

I am not entirely sure as to what you mean, but you could either put the polaroid frame on the TOP Layers and add the photos to a layer underneath the polaroid frame layer.

Or, you could add guides to your document. You can add guides by clickking on and dragging from the horizontal and vertical rulers. If you don't have the rulers visible, press CMD/CTRL+R to show them(and also to hide them again).

You can then position and reposition the guides using the Move Tool.

Apr 28 12 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

If I'm understanding your goal, you might want to try setting up the "Polaroid" frame content as a Smart Object and replacing the pictorial content when needed.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/c … A8EEa.html

Here's an example:
http://kelbytv.com/photoshopkillertips/ … templates/

Apr 28 12 01:24 am Link

Retoucher

Robert LC

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Session36 Photography wrote:
Hello.  I use to use a functionality snap function/guideline(?) to have an image automatically fit/position/resize when dropped and dragged another document

[...]so I can easily just drop the images on top of it, and have it resize and fit into place automatically.

Drag an image (not from Photoshop , but from your computer) and drop it in your polaroid-frame image.

It will automatically scale to fit and make a smart object from it (which you might not need, but you can flatten it if so).

I believe there are some settings for this as well in
your settings pannel (ctrl/cmd + K).

Apr 28 12 01:40 am Link