Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Honest Critique Please! - Pink Retouch

Digital Artist

PS Snyder

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

Hey all!  Would love a critique on this image I recently finished.  Here is a link to a before/after rollover.  See Before/After Rollover

https://www.psimaging.com/paulblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/blue_aA.jpg

May 25 12 11:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Ledo retouch

Lodi, California, US

very good job Paul, rollover shows a lot of work. The model has her eyes
so far over, but saw that's how it was shot. The hair is now so neat at her
neck it seems strange that there is a longer lock behind her ear.

May 26 12 12:51 pm Link

Digital Artist

PS Snyder

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

Thank you! I kind of liked the shape that the left over lock of hair made behind the ear so I left it but not after a lot of consideration.

I also decided to take out the bokeh effect on the background. I felt like it cheapened the look of the image a bit.

May 31 12 04:00 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

good job

Jun 01 12 04:16 am Link

Retoucher

AK Retouch

Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg, Russia

I like her "real" nose more...  I do not know English enough to describe my opinion correctly, but it seems to me that model's nose line (nose back) is now unnatural especially when it contacts with model's forehead...

Jun 03 12 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Emilie Bourdages

Roseville, California, US

Afterr seeing the rollover WOW!!!

Jun 03 12 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

stacey clarke photo

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom

I really don't like the nose now, the original is much better
she looks like a boxer who's been punched a lot, or bad avatar (straight from forehead down) (there's no bridge there anymore) no contouring, it's been made to  look really flat and much smaller, but the nostrel is still the same size
love the hair though

Jun 05 12 02:59 pm Link

Digital Artist

PS Snyder

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

K I S S P H O T O wrote:
I really don't like the nose now, the original is much better
she looks like a boxer who's been punched a lot, or bad avatar (straight from forehead down) (there's no bridge there anymore) no contouring, it's been made to  look really flat and much smaller, but the nostrel is still the same size
love the hair though

Definitely agree! To be honest I didn't even notice that I had done it. I usually try to stay mindful of that kind of thing.

I did update the image now (and the rollover).  I think it looks better.

Jun 05 12 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

SingleChair

Lansing, Michigan, US

I cant stop mousing over the before and after photo... its mesmerizing! wow!

Jun 06 12 06:33 am Link

Retoucher

CM Retouching

Paris, Île-de-France, France

for the look you were looking for, well done. Surely a lot of work.

Jun 14 12 09:57 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

I especially like the entreatment of the hair.  However, there are some artefacts bottom left corner on her back that have been accentuated by your treatment.  Great work though.

Jun 14 12 10:25 am Link

Retoucher

nebulaoperator

London, England, United Kingdom

How do you draw hair? smile Do you mind share a little bit of workflow. What I do is clone, smudge, draw, clone-draw. All combined together. What I am very curious is how or where start ,,making,, hair?
Great work I know how much work you put in for this retouch and how much skills.
Have you considered prolonging her eyes a little bit? I have seen some one did that thing on prolific photo and effect was worth it. Just an idea. By the way did you have any thoughts on continuing that wavy hair pattern at all?
Great retouch and pink is very adorable background here. smile

Jun 14 12 03:18 pm Link

Retoucher

OTTO poste1

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

nice work, I loove the colors. I am not too keen on the hair though, the neck area is too clean, a little overdone for me and too much inverted high pass that shows in the highlight. I would have tried to round up her chin too as you pulled in the throat, it looks a tad long for me, but that's only a matter of tastes I guess.
nicely executed.

Jun 16 12 02:05 am Link

Model

vgoodenough89

Ocean Shores, Washington, US

Absolutely gorgeous!

Jun 16 12 02:14 am Link

Retoucher

Paul Snyder

Columbus, Ohio, US

Hello all!!

This is my image from my old account (that for some reason I haven't deleted yet). 

As for some of the hair comments/questions, most of it is actually grafted from a completely different image (and model).  This image really was just for practice so I probably pushed it a bit farther than would actually be done...a sort of test of my own strengths so to speak.  There was actually no inverted high pass done on the hair as well.  I am also not a fan of the hairline along the neck haha!  It was just so messy compared to what I did to the rest of the hair I didn't know what else to do, but I definitely agree it's too "clean".  I would definitely had approached it differently in hindsight (and will do so in the future). 

Also...I don't like her back as well.  I suppose I got a bit lazy towards the end of practicing hmm lol

All very good learning experiences smile haha!  But thanks for all the comments!

Jun 16 12 11:21 pm Link

Retoucher

bobbydolan

San Francisco, California, US

i really love those ultra light stray hairs coming out sporadically along her hair line, I think it could use more of them to be honest

Jun 20 12 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Brick Wilson

Palatine, Illinois, US

There's no doubt it's a quality job, but maybe it's TOO perfect. When every hair and pore is perfectly arranged and all flaws & irregularities removed, it starts getting into that uncanny valley/mannequin territory.

Jun 22 12 11:49 am Link