Forums > General Industry > Limits / agreements / accidents

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

katlyn lacoste wrote:
Well.... Depending on models limits, Example Spreads.

Its really dumb if a model praises all over her page that she is not into showing a spread, and then in the shoot has the knees spread as far as they can, and then the photographer takes a picture, and she hounds him for liking the picture or hates that he has it.

I am sure that happens often.

If a model declares that she's not willing to shoot "open leg" (I think of "spread" as something else) then she shouldn't pose that way.  But, as linked above, some are fine with the idea depending on angles and shadows.

Also, you can have similar exposure by accident, as this pair of shots illustrates.  Again, while it was an accident, the model was fine with the final image.  (18+)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8255 … af48_o.jpg

Dec 08 12 05:33 am Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

During a shoot, weather it is nude or implied (or even fashion i guess) there will be the occasional shot where the model shows more than she is comfortable with.. unless her limits are non existent..

Yes, I've taken shots that when they are viewed 'large screen' after a shoot, there are more things showing than was agreed before the shoot. Those shots never see the light of day!...

I've recently had a discussion with a model over three shots we did, all of which showed what she agreed 'to show' before the shoot. She didn't feel happy with the content of the shots and wanted these shots removed / not used..
Because she was recognizable in one shot I agreed not to use it.. in the second, even though she was not recognizable, it didn't show her in the best light, so I again agreed not to use it.. But the third shot, she agreed she was not recognizable and the shot was ok to use..

ALL of my shoots, I email the pics I want to use to the model to get their permission FIRST before publishing...

As a Gentleman and photographer with a quality reputation among models I've worked with, I want to keep it that way!.. Models do talk amongst themselves you know!..

Dec 08 12 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

If a model isn't comfortable, it shows. If the model doesn't trust the photographer, it shows. Accidents happen.

It's easier to work with a model that trusts you. There are many situations that require that trust. Had a job for a custom motorcycle shop and the art director wanted me for the poster with a bike and nude model. I wanted a fashion look and got the concept approved by the AD and client.

The model I wanted didn't do nudes and I asked the agency to query her. Because she had worked with me many times, she agreed. Of course, some shots included things that were not intended. The client wanted one of the images from the contact sheet (film) and the AD and I had to work with the client to choose a different frame.

The advertising agency/model agency world is relatively small and you get to know and hear all kinds of things. When you have a good rep, there is a lot less stress. The art world isn't much different.

Dec 08 12 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Art of the nude wrote:
Bumped because of an ongoing thread due to a llama's concerns.

Short version, for those who won't read more.  Why would anyone benefit from showing images that the llama doesn't want public.

Long version, with some context.
I'm trying to understand something I see fairly often in the forums, which can be summed up in the comment I saw recently "don't let the photographer see anything you don't want public."

I'm curious; is that really typical?  It is a LONG ways from how I do things, and I'm trying to understand who benefits from having that sort of an atmosphere.

My process is, more or less;
1. Limits are discussed prior to the shoot, as arrangements are being made.
2. Limits are reviewed and if necessary clarified when the llama arrives.  I make it clear that any accidents won't be used, and that if there is a case where there is doubt, the llama can check the shot before it goes public.
3. Limits are, as relevant, discussed during the shoot (do you realize xyz is showing, etc.)
4. llama reviews proofs, and lets me know of any "no way" or "I'm not sure about that one" shots.
5. I delete, or occasionally, crop the "no way" shots, and when relevant, do final, but not yet public, versions of images where the llama isn't sure.

This seems to work for me, and I find that llamas seem comfortable with the process, and that it allows for a more pleasant shoot to have the llama not worry about accidents.  On occasion, this comfort means I get images I wouldn't have otherwise gotten, in various ways.

So, the question is, why would it be better for anyone, and especially for the photographer, to create a climate where the llama is worried about having no say in exposure shown in final images.

And, to be clear, this isn't just a "full nudes" issue.  It has applied with anywhere from shadows or "tone" of open leg shots, to nip slips and accidental upskirts in fully clothed shoots.

Well first of all I generally select llamas with  as few limits as possible (ascertained by discussion beforehand) even when shooting implieds...

but beyond that,  if the llama likes, I will review shots with her before she leaves

and

I put the shots on a password protected proofing gallery for the llama to review after the shoot - again if she likes -  so that she can evaluate her posing and ask for any uncomfortable images to be deleted.

context: I'm about an artistic approach with implieds and nudes -  not interested in pink shots

Dec 08 12 12:32 pm Link

Model

Alixx Rose

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've had this issue. One photographer sent me a link to all the pictures and I selected a few with a little more of my self showing that I'm currently comfortable with having on the internet. The next time we saw each other he said  "I don't know why you wanted those pictures cropped or deleted, no one is going to stare and point and say 'ooh nipple' "
I said that's not the point.
I still don't know if those pictures are out and about somewhere or if they were deleted, but I havent shot with him again and told a couple of my friends on this site not to either.
He's one of those "ooh baby your so hott, this is such a sexy hot picture" continuously through the shoot.
The shame is that some of those pictures we took could have been really great if only he hadn't done a terrible editing job on them after the fact. And I don't want to promote his work in my portfolio either.

Dec 18 12 10:09 am Link