Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > surface blur extremly slow

Retoucher

JaydenRiches

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Ok i m experiencing a weird problem now...any other filter is quite fine but the surface blur is taking a really long time ...up to 20 minutes until i get a new preview no matter what i change.
I have CS6 and a HD Radeon 6790 anyone knows whats going on or what might cause the problem?

Jun 20 12 11:10 am Link

Photographer

MamboPhoto

Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom

Depending on the amount of blur/radius used, Surface blur will be extremely slow, I don't think it's just you that has this problem!

My PC often takes 3-4 minutes for only a moderate amount of blur.

Go make yourself a coffee while you're waiting.

Jun 20 12 11:17 am Link

Retoucher

JaydenRiches

great...thats exactly the answer i didnt wanted to hear. Oh well its gonna be more than just one coffee with that many images

Jun 20 12 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Feverstockphoto

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Seconds here using gtx 550 ti, (cuda helps). Also check your settings, edit, preferences, perfomance. Gpu and other settings, scracth disk etc...

Jun 20 12 12:20 pm Link

Retoucher

REVIVE retouch

Margate, England, United Kingdom

just dont use blur, problem solved

Jun 20 12 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robin Cordiner

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

You could create an new Action, batch process them and head off down the pub while your computer grinds through them.

Jun 20 12 12:40 pm Link

Model

outwiththeold

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Boost your preference to like 90%

Jun 20 12 12:44 pm Link

Retoucher

JaydenRiches

REVIVE retouch  wrote:

sadly its needed for specific work situations.
Guess i gotta check my preferences

Jun 20 12 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Inams Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How much Ram are you Using ...   and which version of CS6    32 or 64Bit 
if it is 32 Bit it sucks on memory and if you dont have 64bit system, then while working on Photoshop turn rest of application OFF,  even Browser , Chat software  etc...   and under preferences  allocate  60-70% available RAM to Photoshop.

Hope that Helps 

JFI ..  windows 32 Bit OS  only Support 3.89GB RAW    where as  64 Bit OS support around 192GB ...     and Ideal is to have Min 12GB RAM

hope that helps

Jun 21 12 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have found when you use surface blur in 16 bit mode, it takes forever literally. On my old computer, it took an hour. 8 bit mode is much quicker, a few minutes tops.

I haven't tried it on my new comp.

Jun 21 12 05:41 am Link

Retoucher

IGRetoucher

Los Angeles, California, US

JaydenRiches wrote:

sadly its needed for specific work situations.
Guess i gotta check my preferences

I've used blur maybe once in the past 3 years (and it wasnt for a skin problem). Non-destructive editing is when you will really see your work come alive. But I am always a supporter of using whatever works for you as an artist!  Also, CS6 may be slightly unstable since it is so new. Try checking for an update or adjusting your settings in the Surface Blur prompt. smile

Jun 22 12 11:26 am Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

System Ram and CPU are the pertinent questions here
Video card specs are basically irrelevant

Jun 22 12 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

That's nothing. Just wait if you have a Nikon D800 RAW in 16 bits, and you have 10 full layers composite while all your available RAM is max out, running on VM.

Jun 22 12 11:59 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

make an 8 bit flat duplicate of the image you are working on and SurfBlur that big_smile

Jun 22 12 02:31 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

REVIVE retouch  wrote:

yeah it seems like you are doing just fine like that tongue

Jun 22 12 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

dude

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Try playing around with the cache levels and tile sizes.  Getting that set right, for your needs, can be very helpful.

Jun 22 12 08:36 pm Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

None of the tips you've been given will help.

Surface Blur is an old filter with outdated code. As far as I know it is not multicore/multithread optimized and it is definitely not GPU optimized. Cuda/OpenGL/OpenCL... it just doesn't care.

Surface blur is slow, period, and more so on 16bit large images.

The workaround is to apply it to an 8bit duplicate document which you can later import as a layer.

This is part of Adobe's policy of bringing in new stuff (not always useful stuff) rather than fixing what hasn't worked properly since the version it was implemented.

Jun 23 12 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Jude S-R Photography

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
I have found when you use surface blur in 16 bit mode, it takes forever literally. On my old computer, it took an hour. 8 bit mode is much quicker, a few minutes tops.

I know this is old, but can I just say that you fixed a massive headache on this one??? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I didn't even consider the wait time being dependent upon 8 or 16 bit mode. Switching modes seriously cut down on like 30 minutes of time per blur application.

Aug 31 16 11:14 pm Link

Retoucher

Olya Yakovleva Retouch

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

Jeff Fiore wrote:

OMG that's the answer!! THANK YOU! 8 years later i finally found the solution))

Nov 07 20 07:16 am Link