Forums > Photography Talk > if you shoot in RAW do you still do bracketing?

Photographer

rexyinc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Question for Photographers,

for those of us who shoot in RAW do you still use bracketing at all?

Thanks
Rexy

Aug 16 05 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

rexyinc wrote:

Thanks
Rexy

I don't think in retrospect, I've ever really bracketed...

John

Aug 16 05 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Why bracket if you are shooting RAW? You can make multiple exposures from a single RAW capture up to 3-4 stops over or under exposure.

The only reason I can think of is if the bracket need to be 3 stop or more outside the exposure range and I'm not sure there is a digital camera made that can so that.

Aug 16 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

gwphoto

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

No, there is no need.

Aug 16 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

hey Rexy,

are you shooting RAW format with a Nikon?

Aug 16 05 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

no mate, I'm shooting RAW with canon and olympus gear, why's that?

the question came to me, when i read the specs on a new Dslr which made a big issue out of shooting with asuto-bracketing, and i was wondering if any one really shoots raw with auto-bracketing turned on.. I would probably only use that in macro photography with say 3 to 5 stops diff. Otherwise i couldnt see the point myself.. or if the lighting was like totally blown out and you wanted to keep the shadows also..

Cheers
rexy
ps: your other thread on how that industry works is spot on mate.

Aug 16 05 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

rexyinc wrote:
or if the lighting was like totally blown out and you wanted to keep the shadows also..

That'd be the only reason that I'd do it.

Paul

Aug 16 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

what's bracketing?  lolz

Aug 17 05 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

rexyinc wrote:
i was wondering if any one really shoots raw with auto-bracketing turned on.. I would probably only use that in macro photography with say 3 to 5 stops diff. Otherwise i couldnt see the point myself.. or if the lighting was like totally blown out and you wanted to keep the shadows also..

Landscapes with very high contrast would be another area. Pretty much limited to use with non-moving subjects, camera on a tripod, and using ISO or shutter-speed bracketing to avoid messing up the DoF.

One photographer in my Photoshop class shoots at +2, 0, and -2, then merges them together. He gets cleaner shadows and a much extended dynamic range, but...can't use it for things that move. (His landscapes look great, though.)

Aug 17 05 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Dilek

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shooting in RAW has nothing to do with exposure. You can check your exposure in the LCD display and the histogram to see where your highlights and shadows are.

The thing RAW dictates is how the image the chip senses will be translated into binary code and organized within the electronic file.

Hope this helps.

Aug 17 05 02:22 am Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

rexyinc wrote:
no mate, I'm shooting RAW with canon and olympus gear, why's that?

i was asking, because a friend of mine is now shooting with the lastest hi-end nikon digtial slr, 13 mp raw format with that nikon extension, and there is a nikon photoshop cs plugin that opens the files, and it's like being inside the camera when each individual shot was taken.  the ways he can manipulate each image with that software is unbelievable...

Aug 17 05 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Don Spiro

Astoria, New York, US

I only bracket when I shoot slide film, and then only rarely.

Aug 17 05 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Uhmm - a maybe silly question: What does bracketing mean? Since I'm german I'm not that familiar with these special terms concerning photgraphy (hell took me month 'til I knew  that a "Blitzshuh" is a hotshoe in english.. wink )

Aug 17 05 05:09 am Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

Hartsoe wrote:
Uhmm - a maybe silly question: What does bracketing mean? Since I'm german I'm not that familiar with these special terms concerning photgraphy (hell took me month 'til I knew  that a "Blitzshuh" is a hotshoe in english.. wink )

bracketing means you set the camera for a specific exposure, but when you snap the picture, the camera takes the exposure more then once using an incremented f-stop from your setting, so you wind up (such as with my camera) 3 different exposures.

but now with RAW format, you can actually export the image from the camera into a software like photoshop, and since there is zero compression, you can manipulate the image with the exact same info the camera used to store the image, so you can actually altar the settings with the software and it's like taking the picture over and over again

Aug 17 05 05:23 am Link

Photographer

gwphoto

Ok, a few people are not understanding bracketing & RAW at the same time.

When you bracket, you take usually 3 exposures, under exposed, correct exposure and then an over exposure, most popular SLR's offer this, and if you shoot JPG only, then you need to read about it in your manual cause digital still has a poor dynamic range, so often bracketing can be used so you can combine the exposures to improve the dynamic range in a post process fashion, digital will often require bracketing more so than film.

If you shoot RAW, you do not need to bracket, the noise levels are low enough you can output files under and over exposed no problem, you will only come unstuck if you get the original exposure wrong, or in other words, again RAW will allow you to save some time in the field & changing settings, you can do it when you get back to your workstation.

Frankly, when shooting models, in most genres, you should think about the light so you do not have to stuff around, the exceptions may be landscapes with models, anyone layering images after indoor work is probably bored or minus a few heads.

Aug 17 05 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I understand.. yes I did that several times using film - especially night shots... But I agree with the some others here I found it a benefit not have to do this anymore... I can see the outcome right away using digital... So I can't see the sense in doing that still - unless for art reason... but then I would choose ONE exposure still...

Thanks for enlighten me on this!

Aug 17 05 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

rexyinc wrote:

Thanks
Rexy

Yes, of course I bracket when shooting RAW.  Typically, I spot meter the areas within which I must hold detail then bracket around that base exposure.

There seems to be a popular notion out there that RAW editors are a cure-all for careless photography.  RAW editors cannot decide what area of the frame must hold critical detail and they cannot create detail in blocked highlights or shadows.

RAW editors are great tools for tweaking well-exposed images...but they are no substitute for the planning that should have gone into a shot before it was taken.

Aug 17 05 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Belair

Dilek wrote:
Shooting in RAW has nothing to do with exposure. You can check your exposure in the LCD display and the histogram to see where your highlights and shadows are.

The thing RAW dictates is how the image the chip senses will be translated into binary code and organized within the electronic file.

Hope this helps.

Actually, it's not really good advice.

As I have said before, for the life of me I cannot understand why "photographers" go out and spend thousands on a digibody and lenses, then defer exposure evaluation to a $2 LCD panel.  If you trust the LCD panel more than you trust your meter, then you really need to go back to Photo 101.

Likewise for the histogram display.  All the histogram display does is provide a graphic illustration of the distribution of pixels in the scene.  It tells you nothing about where those pixels are, or whether critical parts of a scene are properly exposed.

Aug 17 05 05:39 am Link

Photographer

gwphoto

As said by others, there is no need to bracket unless you will be crossing a lot of stops when shooting RAW, for one or two stops, todays base SLR's are low enough in noise to do it off the one RAW file that has the main subject properly exposed.

If you have the time and are confident your model will not move and you are used to shooting models with a tripod, then why not bracket I guess, a shooters style/job may decide if this is practical or not.

Or from another point, you have more flexibilty if you do bracket in RAW, personally, I avoid wide shifts in dynamic range where possible & I do not shoot many people in places where the range is so wide or my flash cannot compensate.

Aug 17 05 05:50 am Link

Photographer

gwphoto

Belair wrote:
Actually, it's not really good advice.

As I have said before, for the life of me I cannot understand why "photographers" go out and spend thousands on a digibody and lenses, then defer exposure evaluation to a $2 LCD panel.

I have seen some people shooting high key and looking at the histogram after every shot.......good luck, I guess it makes people feel better

Aug 17 05 05:53 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

On my raws it usually don't get much more than 1 stop either way without introducing noticeable noise, so yes I still bracket if I need the range.

Aug 17 05 06:06 am Link

Photographer

gwphoto

Hi VirtuaMike, what do you use ?

Aug 17 05 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Belair wrote:
As I have said before, for the life of me I cannot understand why "photographers" go out and spend thousands on a digibody and lenses, then defer exposure evaluation to a $2 LCD panel.  If you trust the LCD panel more than you trust your meter, then you really need to go back to Photo 101.

Most newer light meters I've seen have $2 LCD panels.  Older ones have $1 needles.  Depending on them must be really stupid.

Aug 17 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Stevie D

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have adopted a RAW workflow for all my shooting, be it event coverage or studio.  The only time I've "bracketed", I've done so in post.  With the flexibility of RAW, generating 3 seperate files, one over, one under, and one exposed even, I can then bring them into PS and bring out detail where I need to.  I've only used this on some select landscape or outdoor portrait work.  Ideally, getting correct exposure out of camera is what you want.

Steve

Aug 17 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Brenizer

New York, New York, US

I'll do it for landscape photography sometimes when there is a truly huge dynamic range involved, but there's no need with most people work.

Aug 17 05 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The last time I was shooting in the RAW mode, I was almost arrested.

Aug 17 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't bracket unless I have to shoot additional frames to make sure I don't have any blow the highlights, but that's mainly for product shots.

Model shoots.. not bracketing.

I only shoot RAW, the D2h is a beast with no lag time. My D100 was a bear, 3 RAW frames then I had to wait 45 seconds.. That's insane.

Aug 17 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Wiles

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

ClevelandSlim wrote:

i was asking, because a friend of mine is now shooting with the lastest hi-end nikon digtial slr, 13 mp raw format with that nikon extension, and there is a nikon photoshop cs plugin that opens the files, and it's like being inside the camera when each individual shot was taken.  the ways he can manipulate each image with that software is unbelievable...

That's how it is for all raw.  I do the same thing with my canon.  However I've stopped using photoshop for it but use rawshooter essentials now.

Aug 17 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Only when shooing outdoors with more than 3 stops of difference between elements. In that case, I bracket simply to get multiple frames so that I can composite.

For example, a model on a rock, but a very bright sky with cloud detail behind her. Unless I want to give up on the cloud detail, I'm going to be compositing, so I bracket the shot (with tripod) and use two frames correct for each element and let Photoshop blend them based on the blown pixels.

Aug 17 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

You can do that with all the Nikon DSLR's I assume. I was able to do that with my D100 but I'm not sure about the D70. I haven't used it with my D2h because I've been able to gauge what needs to be done with my settings from the histogram and just knowing my camera and what I want the lighting to do / be like.

That's the Nikon Capture Software, nothing special about the camera...  Well yes there is something special about THAT camera, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Aug 17 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

gregausit wrote:
Hi VirtuaMike, what do you use ?

D70. It's a great camera but it's being pushed really hard, saving up for something that'll give me more range.

Some examples from landscapes. I haven't run into a portrait shot that'd require bracketing yet but eventually I might for backgrounds (especially if I don't want to bring lighting gear with me).

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20050607170130_20041106-2.jpg

Bracketed from a single raw. Think there's like 6 exposures composited together on that one. Printed this one up a couple times and you can see the noise on the hill on the right.

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20050607040656_bracket02_full.jpg

Bracketed from 3 raws. If I wanted to, I could've pulled a lot more exposures to work with to blend the composite smoother, plus there's pretty much no noise.

Aug 17 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Brian Diaz wrote:

Most newer light meters I've seen have $2 LCD panels.  Older ones have $1 needles.  Depending on them must be really stupid.

You obviously missed the point of my post.

Aug 17 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Belair wrote:

You obviously missed the point of my post.

You obviously missed the point of putting light meters in cameras, as well as putting software that interprets the captured image and displayed as a histogram.

Aug 17 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Brian Diaz wrote:

You obviously missed the point of putting light meters in cameras, as well as putting software that interprets the captured image and displayed as a histogram.

Sorry, chump...

Hand held spotmeters are by far more accurate and useful in assessing exposure and the histogram is, for all practical purposes, worthless in determining the exposure of critical areas of the frame.

Aug 17 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Belair wrote:

Sorry, chump...

Hand held spotmeters are by far more accurate and useful in assessing exposure and the histogram is, for all practical purposes, worthless in determining the exposure of critical areas of the frame.

Sure, if you don't know how to use it.  A handheld spot meter is worthless if you don't know how to use it, too.

Aug 17 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Brian Diaz wrote:

Sure, if you don't know how to use it.  A handheld spot meter is worthless if you don't know how to use it, too.

Practice make perfect.

Aug 17 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Belair wrote:

Practice make perfect.

Can't argue with that! smile

Aug 17 05 06:17 pm Link