This thread was locked on 2012-08-03 13:02:39
Forums > Contests > Important update to POTD/POTD 18+ contests

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Edit notice: Due to unforeseen issues, this had to be delayed by 24 hours.  I have edited the dates listed below to reflect the updated schedule.

On June 28, 2012, we will be making a small change to the Pic of the Day and Pic of the Day 18+ contests to help facilitate moderation of the entries.  Currently the contests are open to submissions up to midnight MM Time, and those entries are open to voting immediately after midnight.  That means that all entries must be reviewed as quickly after midnight as possible, to prevent any ineligible images from being viewed by voters.  And with JoJo being primarily located in the Eastern time zone, that means she has to be up dealing with the contests at 3am every day.

Starting with images entered on Thursday, June 28, there will be a 24 hour delay between the deadline for entries and the beginning of voting.

The schedule will go as follows:
Day 1 - Entries collected
Day 2 - Entries reviewed for eligibility
Day 3 - Voting
Day 4 - Winner declared

Going forward, this will work seamlessly, but for this week, there will be no winner declared on Friday, and voting for Saturday's winner will take place on both Thursday and Friday.  Entries collected on Thursday will be reviewed on Friday, voting will take place on Saturday, and the winner will be declared Sunday.

I know this may seem confusing for now, but this will reduce a lot of the strain on the POTD mods trying to maintain the validity of the contests on a daily basis.  Please let me know if you have any questions related to the schedule shift.

Thanks!

Jun 26 12 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug

San Francisco, California, US

I wonder if at least the extra time would allow notice to be given of a disqualification? That might permit misunderstandings to be cleared up and reduce some of the arbitrariness that has, in my opinion, taken place at times.

Jun 26 12 10:45 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

zoomring photo wrote:
I wonder if at least the extra time would allow notice to be given of a disqualification? That might permit misunderstandings to be cleared up and reduce some of the arbitrariness that has, in my opinion, taken place at times.

No - I am not about to start debating each and every disqualification even before the contest ever begins.

Those that choose to enter the contests will learn of the acceptance (or disqualification) of their submissions all at the same time... 00:00 pacific time, when the contest goes live.

I think you will find that any misunderstanding regarding the contests and the admissibility of an entry can usually be sorted out by reading and understanding the contest rules.

Arbitrariness? When was the last time 100% of the viewing audience of a baseball game agreed with each and every call made by the home plate umpire during a game?

Isn’t it funny that when the home team wins the umpire did a fantastic job… but when the home team loses angry torch-bearing mobs show up in front of the umpire’s home.

Doing my very best Leo Durocher imitation “I calls dem as I sees dem”

Jun 27 12 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug

JoJo wrote:
Arbitrariness? When was the last time 100% of the viewing audience of a baseball game agreed with each and every call made by the home plate umpire during a game?

In college football at least, close calls can be reviewed by looking at the video and are at times reversed. Durocher? The doctrine of Petrine supremacy may apply to the Vatican, but I'm unaware of any scripture that applies it to MM.

The website benefits when members contribute to it. When participation is discouraged by arbitrary rejection through inconsistent application of vague rules,  no one benefits.

Solutions: The equivalent of a 3-judge panel. A simple notice to the submitter indicating "this image appears to violate Rule X"

Jun 28 12 07:50 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

zoomring photo wrote:
Solutions: The equivalent of a 3-judge panel. A simple notice to the submitter indicating "this image appears to violate Rule X"

What you are suggesting is a juried competition.
I am quite sure that if you want to belly-up with a minimum of $50 per entry we can put together a juried competition for you. For your entry fee you will receive a short critique of your submission from the jury. If your entry is really REALLY nice you just might receive a ribbon or even a certificate.
Oh, and the non refundable $50 entry fee goes to the 3 professional members of the jury – it’s not prize money.

As for your request of a simple notice to the submitter indicating "this image appears to violate Rule X"… every time you have been disqualified from the PotD or the PotD18+ you have received a message… the same message thousands of models and photographers send to each other every day.

No response is your response.
If your entry is not in the contest it has likely been disqualified
If you wish additional information – CAM it.

If you wish an in-depth analysis and professional critique of your entry I will be more than happy to oblige. I hold a D.FA Sorbonne, and have professionally juried hundreds of art and photographic contests throughout Europe and North America including venues such as Musée du Louvre, Musée d’Orsay and the Smithsonian.
Please contact me privately for my rates.

Jun 28 12 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug

>>As for your request of a simple notice to the submitter indicating "this image appears to violate Rule X"… every time you have been disqualified from the PotD or the PotD18+ you have received a message… the same message thousands of models and photographers send to each other every day.

No response is your response.>>

I wasn't suggesting an art jury to judge the contest, I was suggesting 3 heads are better that one to judge disqualifications. That's why courts making important decisions decisions have more than one judge - 12 on a jury, 9 on the Supreme Court, 3 on appeal courts.

I have never received a "message" regarding a disqualification. On the few occasions I have brought the subject up in the POTD forum - the most recent of which was a clear error holding a picture of two different models to be a composite of the same one -  the response is "my decision i. final". I.e., Petrine supremacy.

I have given up on the forum discussion avenue because it isn't a reasoned discussion.  I don't need to pay money to be talked down to. And the quality of discourse on this website does not need to resemble what we see in politics.

Jun 28 12 11:50 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

zoomring photo wrote:
I have given up on the forum discussion avenue because it isn't a reasoned discussion.  I don't need to pay money to be talked down to. And the quality of discourse on this website does not need to resemble what we see in politics.

Cut to the chase… you feel that a member has a better chance of getting a marginal/questionable image into the contest with the addition of two sympathetic judges on the panel.

Over 500,000 images have gone through the PotD and the PotD18+ since I became the Contest Administrator.
Each and every one of those ½ million entries have gone across my proverbial desk.

So I ruled on one of your entries and you disagreed with my ruling.
Did you CAM the problem? No (I checked)

So let’s say there are 499 others out there that have disagreed with one of my rulings – 450 of those took the time to follow proper procedure and CAM the problem.
Every one of those 450 problems was resolved quickly, usually within 24 hours.

That leaves 50 problems… and almost all of those 50 did not follow proper procedure and use CAM.
That’s 50 out of 500,000 - That gives me a 99.99% resolution rate wink

If you want your problem resolved send me a CAM – it’s THAT simple.

Jun 28 12 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

JoJo !!!!! You are awesome.... And at the same time very fair just like Dean... I like you both to dead... You guys are doing a great job.
smile

Jun 29 12 12:00 am Link

Photographer

billy badfinger

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Brians memo above sez' "no voting on Friday" (today)...but it does look like
we CAN vote...should we???

Jun 29 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Moderator Note!

billy badfinger wrote:
Brians memo above sez' "no voting on Friday" (today)...but it does look like
we CAN vote...should we???

I apologize for the miscommunication.  I've edited my post to clarify.

Images entered on Wednesday are being voted on both Thursday and Friday (instead of no voting at all on Friday).  The winner of those images will be declared on Saturday (instead of today).

If you see an error message when you go to vote, please refresh the page and the images should show up.

Jun 29 12 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

I too was a bit confused at voting for the same entries today until I checked here. I missed the memo as well. All this time I thought JoJo was on teh WEST coast instead of the east. Why for heaven's sake did you put up with it this long? I am a night owl myself but working at 0300 edt is not something pleasnat.

As far as DQ goes I kinda like watching to see it I passed muster after all. I must confess I sometimes submit images over the edge or at least right on it and wonder all day if it got DQd Heh heh. Quite often it doesn't, sometimes it does. All part of the fun. There is only one time I got DQd that I thought was arbitrary and unfair and it was when JoJo was away and left teh contest in toher hands. I for one think the administratiors behave fairly and actually give the benefit of teh doubt quiote often.

To those who feel put upon and want niotices etc, I say, "Give it a rest." The POTD contest is a trivial passtime for fun it's not that big a deal to get iin a swivet about. If you get DQd just submit another image and let it go..
Stan

Jun 29 12 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Charger Photography wrote:
JoJo !!!!! You are awesome.... And at the same time very fair just like Dean... I like you both to dead... You guys are doing a great job.
smile

I want to second these sentiments. IMHO JoJo has been more than fair and should be app;lauded for putting up with all the guff she gets. Glad you don't have to stay up so late anymore.

Jun 29 12 03:35 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Thank you for your notes of support - most appreciated wink

Jun 30 12 12:43 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Moderator Note!
Yes I am more than aware that there are several problems with the contests today.

The votes are coming properly for the PotD18+M and F and the tabulation is going correctly.

In the PotD we have a problem.
Both the Site Admin and I know about it.
There is no need to make threads about the problem.
There is no need to send CAMs about the problem.

We will have the problem corrected as soon as we are able.

Jun 30 12 12:43 am Link

Photographer

William Jay

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I see that the poster's identity link has been added to each entry.  Comments?

Jun 30 12 08:37 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Moderator Note!
With the advent of the 2-day queue I have seen a drastic increase in the number of 15-day violations.

With the 2-day queue you enter today, your entry stays in the queue tomorrow and then makes it into the contest on the THIRD day.

Please check your PotD and PotD18+ account BEFORE you enter
https://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/15_day/

Jul 01 12 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Farabaugh

Morgantown, Indiana, US

I very much enjoy the contest and on occasion enter a shot, what I would like to see more of from those who enter a shot is for the photographer to pass along the MM # of more models so pros like me who shoot paid assignments for magazines can follow up with getting the lady more work. I use the site for that reason only as 40 years in this business and @65 I am not abusing this site to try and pick up a chic.

Michael

Jul 01 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think the delay makes sense on the surface, but wouldn't it make more sense to have other mods involved rather then just giving JoJo more time for what still amounts to a lot of work?

I think asking one volunteer to be a mod and review all contest entries every day is a bit much, how does she get a day off?  What if she is sick?  Sounds like IB is abusing its volunteers a bit from this site of the browser.

Jul 01 12 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
I think the delay makes sense on the surface, but wouldn't it make more sense to have other mods involved rather then just giving JoJo more time for what still amounts to a lot of work?

I think asking one volunteer to be a mod and review all contest entries every day is a bit much, how does she get a day off?  What if she is sick?  Sounds like IB is abusing its volunteers a bit from this site of the browser.

There are more mods than just JoJo, but she typically does the brunt of the work.  She does take any time she pleases to herself.

Jul 01 12 05:28 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

Look at the contests like Christmas - Santa has lots of helpers.

I have lots of helpers too... and can be heard exclaiming "JoJoJo" as I disqualify yet another rule breaker wink

Jul 01 12 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Image Analogy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Apologies, I think I may have posted a photo 2 days in a row.  I hadn't realized the queue had changed to 2 versus 1 day, so when my shot didn't show the following day, I re-entered it, thinking there was a posting glitch.

The link to check for 15 day violations is awesome, but I had no idea it existed until now.  Any chance to add a link to it on the submission page?  That might help submitters who are dumb like me, and reduce load on moderators as well?   

JoJo wrote:
With the advent of the 2-day queue I have seen a drastic increase in the number of 15-day violations.

With the 2-day queue you enter today, your entry stays in the queue tomorrow and then makes it into the contest on the THIRD day.

Please check your PotD and PotD18+ account BEFORE you enter
https://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/15_day/

Jul 02 12 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

hAUTE MOd by Keith

Huntington Beach, California, US

The checker is very cool and a great help.  Keep up the great work,

Jul 21 12 01:50 pm Link