Forums > General Industry > Outrage over Olympic Team Photographs

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jul 10 12 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

John David Studio

Fort Myers, Florida, US

These images are absolutely horrendous!  Who approved these images for use?  Its a very vivid example of editors who do not recognize poor work from professional work.

As I type this thread the Peter Hurley "Art of the Headshot" video is scrolling across the top of the screen.  How Ironic!

Evidently there was no budget to hire a competent photographer for this shoot.

Jul 10 12 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Danger Ninja

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

hahahahahaha

Jul 10 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Devin Workman

Los Alamitos, California, US

I can't find the article right now but the photographer released a statement on these and why they were so bad. There was a miscommunication since the AFP had never been invited to this event before and he thought it was a press conference. The photographer only came with a couple of lenses and a flash while everyone else had full studio assistants. The director if the event convinced another photographer to share some space and setup.

Not an excuse for things like bad composition but I wish they told the whole story in the article.

Jul 10 12 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Adams Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Another thread on this?

Jul 10 12 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Arggggg!!!!!

Studio36

Jul 11 12 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Devin Workman wrote:
I can't find the article right now but the photographer released a statement on these and why they were so bad. There was a miscommunication since the AFP had never been invited to this event before and he thought it was a press conference. The photographer only came with a couple of lenses and a flash while everyone else had full studio assistants. The director if the event convinced another photographer to share some space and setup.

Not an excuse for things like bad composition but I wish they told the whole story in the article.

Not an excuse, indeed.  If I were invited to a motorcross event to document the pit crews I would pack and prepare for closeup, even wide angle shots.  If I arrived at the shoot and was told I'd be up in the skyboxes to cover the race, I'd be woefully unprepared without a single lens to capture the action.

It's one thing to do very poorly at a shoot.  It's another entirely to release those terrible images to the public.  And something as important as our Olympic hopefuls, this is a disgrace.

Jul 11 12 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

oh my.......I agree with previous posts. one thing to shoot these, another to release. judges score for these images.....00.00.......

Jul 11 12 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The article is full of lies!!! The images were taken by a chimpanzee.

Jul 11 12 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

He is supported by NIKON and won photographer of the year in 2011 -

Jul 11 12 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

John Horwitz wrote:
He is supported by NIKON and won photographer of the year in 2011 -

Well I hope his PPA membership is current!

Jul 11 12 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

cannysage

Los Angeles, California, US

I think that photographer is a well know celebrity photographer. If they print those.. then that means I can hope smile

Jul 11 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

SilverStudio

Modoc, South Carolina, US

This may be the year of putting the amateur back into limelight ..................smile

Photographer

SilverStudio

Modoc, South Carolina, US

This may be the year of putting the amateur back into limelight ..................smile

Photographer

JBerman Photography

New York, New York, US

were these images submitted and used or did someone access his raw images and show them to the world?

Jul 11 12 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

worthless snapshots, he should be drawn and quartered!!:-)

Jul 11 12 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Trulives Photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

This just underscores the point that talent as a photographer will always take a backseat to good marketing/networking skills.

Cliche, perhaps, but it is truly 'who', and not 'what' you know, that gets the deal done. The photographer in this case clearly had the right connection to the decision maker(s).

Jul 11 12 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

I'll be the one that says the photographer Joe Klamar got a raw deal.

http://blogs.afp.com/correspondent/?pos … mpic-icons
“I was under the impression that I was going to be photographing athletes on a stage or during press conference where I would take their headshots for our archives,” he explained. “I really had no idea that there would be a possibility for setting up a studio.” It was the first time AFP had been invited to participate in the U.S. Olympic Committee’s Media Summit, which was held this year, in May, at a Hilton Hotel in Dallas.

I work for a news agency and I wasn’t taking pictures for a Nike ad"

Jul 11 12 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

S A L B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Did anybody take a look at the German athletes' photos that the article links through to? They're not much better.

And the gold medal goes to...?

Jul 12 12 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Maura Housley

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I'm just wondering why he didn't touch up the background....

Jul 12 12 11:14 am Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

I think it's hilarious !-- you don't see photos like that everyday.

Jul 12 12 11:17 am Link

Photographer

aaaaaaaaaac

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

I think photographers were right to complain. I mean even if they're not patriotic and they're just looking at it as a photographer, the images SHOULD have been better.

I'd like to know why they chose to go with those images when there are so many better photographers out there, even ones who would have worked for less if not for free because it's good publicity.

Jul 12 12 04:14 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Maura Housley wrote:
I'm just wondering why he didn't touch up the background....

I'm wondering why he didn't even bother to sweep the dirt of the floor...

Jul 13 12 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Come on Ken, where were you when we all had fun with this a couple of weeks ago?

Jul 13 12 11:38 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

I'm impressed really, it gives me hope that we can all make a living at this.

Jul 13 12 11:44 am Link

Model

The Grace Gabbana

Santa Rosa, California, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

I'm wondering why he didn't even bother to sweep the dirt of the floor...

+1

G

Jul 13 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Don Olson Imagery

Eugene, Oregon, US

I'd have to say that the main lighting was just Okay focus was fine. But the excuse as to be unprepared? When you are invited to shoot the U.S. Olympic Team, it's like shooting a wedding. You take everything and being unprepared is never an excuse.
What kind of editors are there now?

Jul 13 12 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Reggie Dennis

Ashburn, Virginia, US

Like the Kobe Bryant commercial: "You can do better, I have confidence in you."  Lol

Jul 13 12 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Willie Sheldon

Grimes, Iowa, US

There is also outrage with the decision to have the Olympic team all wearing clothing made in China, instead of taking an effort to find an USA made label.

I know for a fact that http://www.stcroixcollections.com/ could have easily designed and manufactured in Minnesota a quality USA made clothing.  Allen Edmonds shoes are awesome to wear and are USA made.  I have to wear dress shoes for my day job so I prefer to be comfortable.

Jul 13 12 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

Don Olson Imagery wrote:
I'd have to say that the main lighting was just Okay focus was fine. But the excuse as to be unprepared? When you are invited to shoot the U.S. Olympic Team, it's like shooting a wedding. You take everything and being unprepared is never an excuse.
What kind of editors are there now?

Agreed.  Being prepared and capable of handling any situation are key to being a professional.  I am surprised he submitted these in their original condition.  I would have not (barring an immediate deadline).  To me what is more concerning is the number of editors who selected and ran these.  Is that what their audience really wants and/or willing to accept?

Jul 16 12 10:59 am Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

And Terry Richardson would have taken better shots.

/troll

Jul 16 12 11:29 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

bad photos sure do equal lots of views though.

Jul 16 12 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I don't care what his excuse is, there's no reason a professional photographer should produce such horrible photos.  I don't care if you shoot primarily in studio or with natural light, you should know at the very least how to compose a photo and create an interesting pose.  You should also know which lens to use for the particular shot you want.

If I had a narrow backdrop, then I'd be shooting vertical portraits; NOT trying to get some gymnast to make a wide pose and then shooting it with a wide angle lens so the backdrop is shown and the man's forearms are cut off. 

If I was that guy, I'd be embarrassed to have my name attached to those photos.

Jul 16 12 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Iverson Media

River Falls, Wisconsin, US

Having read up on this and from what i get out of it is that the blame should be on the editor who put them out there. They are the ones who decide, and should have seen this would the be the outcome. Why aren't their names being ridiculed?

Also, it sounds almost like this is basically a big group shoot type thing (or cattle call), and people have like an eight by ten space (or so i heard) to shoot in, and a set time to get each one done. Just find it ironic how many people on here make fun of group shoots, but sometimes you need to work in them.

Jul 16 12 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Andrew Iverson Media wrote:
Having read up on this and from what i get out of it is that the blame should be on the editor who put them out there. They are the ones who decide, and should have seen this would the be the outcome. Why aren't their names being ridiculed?

I agree.

Jul 16 12 10:43 pm Link