Forums > Photography Talk > Eddie Baute and Markese Photography photos..HOW?

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

San Diego, California, US

There are only 2 photographers (Eddie Baute www.eddiebaute.com & Rich Markese www.markesephotography.com) that for me is the best in their field. I wanted to develop my own style through their methods as of how they do their lighting and composition. I only got 2 alienbees B-800s and its just hard when you dont know any photographers around that are willing to collaborate some work with especially for training. So there it is... How do you create such stunning artwork like their photos?

Oct 24 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

A lot of those shots can be done with 2 Bee's and a refector.  Take a closer look at most of them. Then give it a shot. Little changes to your lights can make a big difference.

Oct 24 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

Those photos especially Markese's are very vibrant. I notice Baute's are more into one light coming from the top very close to the subject with reflectors I think.. Also, how far does the softbox has to be from the subject? Do you use any filters on the monolights/ softboxes?

Oct 25 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Doesn't look that hard for either, but do you want to copy their style? I mean Baute looks like the majority of his images are done with lights off set from above or the side so you don't get the catch light or main light in front of the model like a normal setup, plus he adds a lot of darkness to the images as well, looks more post production work in PS.

Markese, unless he changed, has always used hot lights which gives the golden look. In fact I know maybe a year back he was on a bulletin board asking questions about how to use flash, probably because hot lights aren't that great for portability, especially outdoors.

Both have nice images....but maybe you should look at some of the big photographers for inspiration? Or check out Jerry Avaneim (hope that is spelled right) He does amazing all around work which is what inspires me smile

Good luck either way!

Michael

P.S. Realize as well that many images you see are online have a lot of Photoshop techniques that change the original. What I mean is they have a certain technique to change the color tones, saturation, etc.... and this is major part of their style.

Oct 25 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

I wanted to do most of that on my lighting already. Just as how I cleaned my implied nude models in my gallery. It was taken at noon time, sun was very hot and shadows are just all over them.. it was a disaster. But i saved the photos and it came out nice. Also simulation of sunset light helped me through my reflectors. If I can do most of it in the studio already then I will be a very happy man. But I do believe photoshop will always be there to rescue me. Im sure Pshop was used to clean these images as well but to how much extent only the artists knows.

Thanks for all the replies!

Oct 25 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

you could buy a good photo book that lots of professional fashion and portrait photograhers publish and they include lighting diagrams in them if you want to use that.

none of their lighting looks complex at all. just good models, styling and composition.

go look through alt pick or some other source books and see all the great photography around

Oct 25 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Someone already mentioned it but I know Markese is great with Photo shop.
This ain't rocket science. Some hot models, a few lights and a great working knowledge base of Photo shop which I for one lack.

Oct 25 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Davian

Sacramento, California, US

it's not hard to get great photos when you got good subject matter. try making whoopi goldberg look hot.

Oct 25 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Scott Nathan

Los Angeles, California, US

My two cents here. 

You pay the best photo assistants in the world a reasonable day rate. They do it, you see it. You know it.  If I want light like Annie Leibovitz, I hire people that work with her. You're only as good as the weakest link in a crew. "It takes a village".

SMN

Dennis Santarinala wrote:
There are only 2 photographers (Eddie Baute www.eddiebaute.com & Rich Markese www.markesephotography.com) that for me is the best in their field. I wanted to develop my own style through their methods as of how they do their lighting and composition. I only got 2 alienbees B-800s and its just hard when you dont know any photographers around that are willing to collaborate some work with especially for training. So there it is... How do you create such stunning artwork like their photos?

Oct 25 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

Years of school, practice, and hard work.....and you have to be born with it........

Oct 25 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

re- photography wrote:

Years of school, practice, and hard work.....and you have to be born with it........

Born with it I agree.. Ive seen photographers whos been in the business for more than 20 years and still their photos look like crap. And whats funny is that other models and photographers acknowledge them in public.

I just wanna get better in studio. Find myself a great inspiration and off I go.

Oct 25 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Scott Nathan

re- photography wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  Many of top photographers in the world (I won't name names here, but I've witnessed it first hand), Can't turn on a pack and don't know any F-stop from a bus stop.  They do however have one thing. An eye for composition and a plan for the shot that they can articulate. The rest can be hired.

SMN

Oct 25 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

Born with it I agree.. Ive seen photographers whos been in the business for more than 20 years and still their photos look like crap. And whats funny is that other models and photographers acknowledge them in public.

I just wanna get better in studio. Find myself a great inspiration and off I go.

Where/how did you learn studio lighting initially? Maybe you need to "unlearn" and then "relearn" for what you are trying to accomplish. I found initilally learning learning studio lighting with strobes very humbling at first because I had to drop all my natural light "seeing it" tendencies and learn to see what isn't there and then know how to create it before ever taking a photo. One of the best things for me was thinking back to highschool 3D computer animation courses where we would light imaginary objects with imaginary lights and considering how I learned that.

Oct 25 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

Scott Nathan wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  Many of top photographers in the world (I won't name names here, but I've witnessed it first hand), Can't turn on a pack and don't know any F-stop from a bus stop.  They do however have one thing. An eye for composition and a plan for the shot that they can articulate. The rest can be hired.

SMN

I like to do everything my self, mostly out of necessity though (low budgets). I would never take credit for a photo that I didn't light, expose, frame, etc. myself. I also like building sets......and sometimes I model for my own shots using timers and triggers, but not for paid shoots..........I'll agree with you that that is how many professionals may do things, but from my perspective, if you just want to arange/compose things become a stylist of some sort.

Oct 25 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

You study their pictures, don’t just look at them. The eyes and skin in a photograph can tell you a lot and hold many secrets smile

Oct 25 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Scott Nathan

re- photography wrote:

I like to do everything my self, mostly out of necessity though (low budgets). I would never take credit for a photo that I didn't light, expose, frame, etc. myself. I also like building sets......and sometimes I model for my own shots using timers and triggers, but not for paid shoots..........I'll agree with you that that is how many professionals may do things, but from my perspective, if you just want to arange/compose things become a stylist of some sort.

Everyone has their own method to the madness and there is no right (or wrong) way.  I spend a lot of time storyboarding shots.  Never believed in "winging it" in anyway.  I'll come in to a shoot with pages and pages of references.  Face lit like this, leg shadow like that, pose similar to this, backlights here. etc etc. etc.

Gilles Bensimmon once said, if you don't have the best of everything from talent, to hair, to makeup, to sets... You're just playing and wasting everyones time... Particularly your own.

Go big or go home. Why even get in the game unless you plan to be at the top of the food chain?  I went from a previous career (and a rather comfortable life) to spending my entire life savings on a year of tests. And whille I'm certainly nowhere near where I'd like to be, I'm pleased with where I'm at for the beginning of my 3rd year in this career.  If you can stomach the bread and water diet of humble beginnings... I believe it can be done.

I also learned more from assisting shooters I respect than anything I learned in college.  I also believe that photo schools like Brooks produce great first assistants. Not great photographers.

Just my opinion... I could be wrong.
SMN

Oct 25 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

There are only 2 photographers (Eddie Baute www.eddiebaute.com & Rich Markese www.markesephotography.com) that for me is [sic] the best in their field.

Eddie, for example, have you asked him directly about his lighting techniques? I mean, he does maintain a port here at MM ----- # 25988 ...

re- photography wrote:

... but hmm,..., maybe it's the "vision" of which we're really speaking here. sure, can go to school & learn technique but "vision"? might can cultivate it?

F

Oct 25 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Daniel_Bergeron

Scott Nathan wrote:
I also learned more from assisting shooters I respect than anything I learned in college.  I also believe that photo schools like Brooks produce great first assistants. Not great photographers.

SMN

All well put, but I disagree about Brooks putting out great first assistants. I've worked with a few brookies, and have had to deal with unsafe rigging, questionable set ettiquete, and poor business practices. (Nothing malicious, just noobish mistakes)
I believe that experienced assistants produce the best assistants....at least that is what worked for me.

Oct 25 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Scott Nathan

Daniel_Bergeron wrote:

All well put, but I disagree about Brooks putting out great first assistants. I've worked with a few brookies, and have had to deal with unsafe rigging, questionable set ettiquete, and poor business practices. (Nothing malicious, just noobish mistakes)
I believe that experienced assistants produce the best assistants....at least that is what worked for me.

Agreed.  Great 2nd & third assitants.  To start anyway. Your 1st should forget more about phtography techinically, than you'll ever know.

Oct 25 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Scott Nathan wrote:

Everyone has their own method to the madness and there is no right (or wrong) way.  I spend a lot of time storyboarding shots.  Never believed in "winging it" in anyway.  I'll come in to a shoot with pages and pages of references.  Face lit like this, leg shadow like that, pose similar to this, backlights here. etc etc. etc.

Gilles Bensimmon once said, if you don't have the best of everything from talent, to hair, to makeup, to sets... You're just playing and wasting everyones time... Particularly your own.

Go big or go home. Why even get in the game unless you plan to be at the top of the food chain?  I went from a previous career (and a rather comfortable life) to spending my entire life savings on a year of tests. And whille I'm certainly nowhere near where I'd like to be, I'm pleased with where I'm at for the beginning of my 3rd year in this career.  If you can stomach the bread and water diet of humble beginnings... I believe it can be done.

SMN

Respectfully I would disagree with Mr. Bensimmon.  I don't think you need the
best of anything to produce great work.  What is often missing in much of the
work seen on MM is vision and consistency.  There's talent all over this site
but many here aren't able to be consistent which is one of the hall marks of the
professional.  Another thing that is often spoken about is being able to work
freely with good people.  Having to always search out models and have them
disappear on you for shoots is not only a pisser but gets in the way of much of
the creative process.  One thing you are doing which is very smart is planning
shoots from sets to lighting.  There are two things I think that would help many
here, one is using a MUA if you can't afford to hire one have the model go to
a store but always try and have a MUA if possible.  The second is pratice with
friends if at all possible and produce work you can show with real models.  In other
words if you have a new ideal, work with it with a friend.  Get the lighting and
ideal together and when you have a solid model shoot her so that instead of
average results you get work that shines because you've worked all the kinks
out.  Now here's something that some may take me to task for.  Some of you
need to not offer TFP to every model willing to wear a mini dress or shed her
clothes.  Once you reach a certain level its time to step up your game.  Just
because a model wants to shoot with you means you shoot her.  Hobby or not.
Consider with care what a model will add or not to what you are doing.

Oct 25 06 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Scott Nathan wrote:

SMN

Respectfully I would disagree with Mr. Bensimmon.  I don't think you need the
best of anything to produce great work.  What is often missing in much of the
work seen on MM is vision and consistency.  There's talent all over this site
but many here aren't able to be consistent which is one of the hall marks of the
professional.  Another thing that is often spoken about is being able to work
freely with good people.  Having to always search out models and have them
disappear on you for shoots is not only a pisser but gets in the way of much of
the creative process.  One thing you are doing which is very smart is planning
shoots from sets to lighting.  There are two things I think that would help many
here, one is using a MUA if you can't afford to hire one have the model go to
a store but always try and have a MUA if possible.  The second is pratice with
friends if at all possible and produce work you can show with real models.  In other
words if you have a new ideal, work with it with a friend.  Get the lighting and
ideal together and when you have a solid model shoot her so that instead of
average results you get work that shines because you've worked all the kinks
out.  Now here's something that some may take me to task for.  Some of you
need to not offer TFP to every model willing to wear a mini dress or shed her
clothes.  Once you reach a certain level its time to step up your game.  Just
because a model wants to shoot with you means you shoot her.  Hobby or not.
Consider with care what a model will add or not to what you are doing.

Oct 25 06 03:20 am Link

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

I definitely learned a lot here just by reading everyone's opinion. I guess everybody has their own visions and different methods. But its all the same principle over and over again which is balance, composition, color theory, history of arts and architecture, etc etc. Some photograpers may not know the difference between an f-stop from a bus stop but Its all the vision and how you put that in application. Especially in todays world of photography where everything is digital. Its so easier now to experiment. I know a lot of painters, artists, designers who wanted to be in photography before that couldnt do it because of the long process of manually printing an image but it got easier now. I went to Interior Design school and I myself is a living witness to this change. But this is just my opinion and I am glad to have shared this with you all.

Oct 25 06 08:11 am Link

Model

Rae01

Austin, Texas, US

Photos By Davian wrote:
it's not hard to get great photos when you got good subject matter. try making whoopi goldberg look hot.

i've read comments like this one all through this thread. i've shot with LOTS of photographers, many of them established pros and many of those "pros" i wouldn't want to shoot with again.  but when eddie calls, i can't get to his studio fast enough.  i've seen my unretouched images with him, and it's not that he goes crazy with photoshop.  if you think it's that he only shoots with gorgeous girls, take a close look at the other shots of those girls in their own portfolios.  eddie's not afraid to try crazy poses and have fun with what he's doing.  if it doesn't work, it just doesn't work and you move on to the next idea.  he's had me do things that seemed totally insane, but i completely trust him and never fail to be amazed by the images we get.  his lighting is simple, and you CAN'T hire the crew who sets up for him because there is no crew.  it's all him and it's his unbelievable talent that makes those shots.  damn!  just thinking about it makes me wanna run over to his studio and PLAY!!!

Oct 25 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Baute

San Antonio, Texas, US

Okay, here's what I think...but before I say anything let me give you guys a little inside on my background.

- Pickup a camera 4 yrs ago...yes, I didn't know any of the technical side of photography.
- I love photoshop, but I'm not an illustrator. I don't do alot photoshop. 5mins per image tops. I do the same things to all my images wether the model is 18 or 50. I spend enough time as it is answering emails and don't need to spend more time on post processing...sorry, no magic here either!!! I'm nonewhere near masters of PS like Jeffrey Scott, Michael Rosen & Max V...which I admire for their talent and vision.
- I can't recommend any books, workshops or classes because the thruth is I have never read a book(ADD maybe), I have never being to a class or workshop.

Ok with that said...here's what I think.

Although there are amazing photographers like Jerry Avenaim(Yes, you misspelled it Mgaphoto) and many others, when I first got into photography I wanted to be unique and provide my own unique vision, I didn't want my images to be like anyone elses. I didn't want to mimic anyone...I wanted to stay true to my vision. So, it's not about the lights...because there is nothing special about it. It's not about the photoshop, because I'm don't do much of it. It's not about the camera because I get great shots wether I'm using a D100 or D2X. It's all about what I see at the moment I press that shutter...be unique and don't be affraid to go with what catches your eye...because that's what I do!!! If you have the eye you will get great shots even if you're using homedepot lighting...which I have used in the past...LOL

Take Care,
Eddie Baute.

Oct 25 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

eg

Miami Beach, Florida, US

How about this guy..his name i think is Johnny Crosslin, somebody could explain to me how his pictures look like that?...he spray-tan all the models before the shoot?...light?...etc thanks

Oct 25 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

fashion industry inc wrote:
How about this guy..his name i think is Johnny Crosslin, somebody could explain to me how his pictures look like that?...he spray-tan all the models before the shoot?...light?...etc thanks

Pam cooking spray.

Oct 25 06 11:11 am Link

Model

Rae01

Austin, Texas, US

fashion industry inc wrote:

from what i've been told, it's post production.  lots and lots of it.  i've heard of girls being fired when they showed up for jobs and didn't look like they did in his shots.  that said, he's still an amazing photographer.

Oct 25 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think Eddie Baute uses a main light (possibly with a grid, scrim or barn doors to control spill) placed very high...and fairly close to being inline with the model and photographer. If he doesn't so something close to that, it's post production that's throwing me off. Have you asked him how he does it? He might just tell you. I admired the work of three photographers, who are the most sharing people I've met.   I've found many instances where I've admired someone's work, asked them about it, and heck, we became close friends, often shooting together.  I'm just guessing.  I'm sure Eddie knows.  Ask.  He could tell you, or he could say "read a book".  Either way, you've got nothing to lose.

Oct 25 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

what beautiful work!

Oct 25 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Eddie Baute wrote:
Okay, here's what I think...but before I say anything let me give you guys a little inside on my background.

- Pickup a camera 4 yrs ago...yes, I didn't know any of the technical side of photography.
- I love photoshop, but I'm not an illustrator. I don't do alot photoshop. 5mins per image tops. I do the same things to all my images wether the model is 18 or 50. I spend enough time as it is answering emails and don't need to spend more time on post processing...sorry, no magic here either!!! I'm nonewhere near masters of PS like Jeffrey Scott, Michael Rosen & Max V...which I admire for their talent and vision.
- I can't recommend any books, workshops or classes because the thruth is I have never read a book(ADD maybe), I have never being to a class or workshop.

Ok with that said...here's what I think.

Although there are amazing photographers like Jerry Avenaim(Yes, you misspelled it Mgaphoto) and many others, when I first got into photography I wanted to be unique and provide my own unique vision, I didn't want my images to be like anyone elses. I didn't want to mimic anyone...I wanted to stay true to my vision. So, it's not about the lights...because there is nothing special about it. It's not about the photoshop, because I'm don't do much of it. It's not about the camera because I get great shots wether I'm using a D100 or D2X. It's all about what I see at the moment I press that shutter...be unique and don't be affraid to go with what catches your eye...because that's what I do!!! If you have the eye you will get great shots even if you're using homedepot lighting...which I have used in the past...LOL

Take Care,
Eddie Baute.

Another talented Texan,  there is something to be said for talent and a creative
eye.  I don't think I'd get as good a shot with most of Eddie's models because
he has a better eye for fashion and thats what so tricky about a lot of this.
You just can't compare your vision to other photographers because guess what.
There are guys who just pick up a camera and will be better then you.  I play
tennis and I'm not bad but there are people with talent and ablity who are just
better.  However comparing your work to others like Eddie or Chip or Bruce T.
or Jerry A.  will only make you sad.  Focus on your vision. Learn from them and
admire their talent but don't dwell on what they do because you aren't them.

Oct 25 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

When I first began shooting, I purchased a book called Photographing People: Portrait, Fashion, & Glamour.  Best $30 I ever spent.  The photos are from world renowned photographers and it contains a daigram of the lighting setup used, specs on the camera, film, exposure, etc, and notes from the photographers themselves.  It has helped immensely.

What it won't help you with at all, is composing creatively.  If you can't do that on your own, then you'll be doomed to look like you're trying to copy someone else's work (and probably unsuccessfully)...

Oct 25 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Eddie Baute

San Antonio, Texas, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Another talented Texan,  there is something to be said for talent and a creative
eye.  I don't think I'd get as good a shot with most of Eddie's models because
he has a better eye for fashion and thats what so tricky about a lot of this.
You just can't compare your vision to other photographers because guess what.
There are guys who just pick up a camera and will be better then you.  I play
tennis and I'm not bad but there are people with talent and ablity who are just
better.  However comparing your work to others like Eddie or Chip or Bruce T.
or Jerry A.  will only make you sad.  Focus on your vision. Learn from them and
admire their talent but don't dwell on what they do because you aren't them.

VERY WELL SAID TONY!!!!

Oct 25 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I think one of the biggest mistakes people make in trying to analyze somebody else's work is to make assumptions.

Rather than make assumptions, try actually experimenting.

You don't even need a "model" to get the lighting right.

I learned a lot about shadows and highlights by shooting a basketball.

If you want rim light from a certain angle, keep shooting and adjusting your light till you get it where you want it.

The other issue, is that most people often stick a model about 3 feet from a background and try to get a certain lighting style.

I can't stress enough the importance of lighting the background and the model seperately (even if the background is just getting lit with fall off).  Distance is important.

So is lens compression.

As for Rich Markese, I haven't seen any of his work for a while, but he used to shoot with what appeared to be a lot of gelled hard light and often shot through a "sheer" background lit from behind.  Lighting the sheer background from behind gave both a very vibrant backdrop and a "hot spot" in the background material.  If you don't look closely, you wouldn't think it was shoot through background, but pay attention.

It helps that he shooting the prettiest of women.

He has one fairly well know shot of a girl in a hallway (againt some lockers I think) and it appears that was shot with a lot of hard light from down the hall and just enough fill to open the shadows.

So long as you are shooting a girl with a single umbrella from 5 feet away, 3 feet off the background your aren't ever going to get that look.

It's all about light control and color.

While I am a big fan of photoshop, I don't thinks Rich's work is the result of photoshop (except the skin).

Mark

Oct 25 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

Omg he has spoken! Thanks Eddie! You have no idea how u made my day! haha! Thanks to everyone!

Oct 25 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Rae01 wrote:

i've read comments like this one all through this thread. i've shot with LOTS of photographers, many of them established pros and many of those "pros" i wouldn't want to shoot with again.  but when eddie calls, i can't get to his studio fast enough.  i've seen my unretouched images with him, and it's not that he goes crazy with photoshop.  if you think it's that he only shoots with gorgeous girls, take a close look at the other shots of those girls in their own portfolios.  eddie's not afraid to try crazy poses and have fun with what he's doing.  if it doesn't work, it just doesn't work and you move on to the next idea.  he's had me do things that seemed totally insane, but i completely trust him and never fail to be amazed by the images we get.  his lighting is simple, and you CAN'T hire the crew who sets up for him because there is no crew.  it's all him and it's his unbelievable talent that makes those shots.  damn!  just thinking about it makes me wanna run over to his studio and PLAY!!!

I think you have misread some of the comments. I don't anyone has stated that he does poor work, but it isn't genius either. Of course that is why everyone has their own opinions smile you love this guy that much that you want to shoot over and over with him, that is great for you...whoops I mean him...lol.

Oct 25 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

hmmmm

Oct 25 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

eddie's images are harder to reproduce than most people think, he may be using a beauty dish instead of a soft box, but he does use a variety of lighting styles. i really enjoy his work, but i havent figured out exactly how he does it.

Oct 25 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

I dont wanna give everybody the idea that Im trying to copy the guy's work, Im just amazed at how he does it. A lot here probably has the same equipment or probably even more expensive than his but I just admire his methods. We all crave to be perfect in our own style of photography and learning a proven method isnt wrong I guess. Of course someday I wanna be famous for my work because I developed my own style through the help of these guys. I started out as a web and graphics designer a couple of years ago and I will do everything in my knowledge to be the best out here. I picked up photography a year ago and I  think Im doing ok.

More power to all Nikon users!

Oct 25 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Eddie Baute

San Antonio, Texas, US

I dont wanna give everybody the idea that Im trying to copy the guy's work, Im just amazed at how he does it. A lot here probably has the same equipment or probably even more expensive than his but I just admire his methods. We all crave to be perfect in our own style of photography and learning a proven method isnt wrong I guess. Of course someday I wanna be famous for my work because I developed my own style through the help of these guys. I started out as a web and graphics designer a couple of years ago and I will do everything in my knowledge to be the best out here. I picked up photography a year ago and I  think Im doing ok.

More power to all Nikon users!

You're doing great!!!

Oct 25 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Miller

Brooklyn, New York, US

This is why test shoots are called "tests"!! Practice, experiment and practice some more!  Find the style that you are comfortable with and go with it!
A lot of great names were mentioned in this thread and these folks did not get where they are overnight.  I trust it was a lot of trial and error along the way.  One thing that all the great photographers posses is passion and it comes through in their images.

Oct 25 06 08:18 pm Link