Forums > Model Colloquy > Scammer - Autographs

Model

aimeebutlermodel

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Hi everyone smile

If you get this email... it's a scam:

-----------------

Dear Aimee, I'm writing to you in regard to my husband Kenny who has gone through major back surgery and is going to be laid up in bed for a long while. My husband is a very big fan of yours. I would like to ask if you could please send him an autographed photo. If you could I know my husband would be thrilled and I would be forever grateful to you. Thank You Very Much Sandy

Kenny Thrun
40 Clifford Street
Buffalo New York
USA 14210
-------------

Turns out kenny / sandy is writing to anyone & everyone, also likes to sell the autographs:

http://youcantcopysloppy.tumblr.com/pos … -autograph

http://buffalo-il.cannonads.com/14210/h … 21246.html

smile

Aug 15 12 07:11 pm Link

Model

Dimetra Seraphim

Northglenn, Colorado, US

Thanks for the heads up! Will keep an eye out for anything like this.

Aug 15 12 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

I guess I don't understand that scam.

They're not asking for money. They're asking for an autograph. It costs less than $5 to create a print, autograph it, and mail it to someone.

I doubt anyone is making money from strangers selling their autographs. hmm

Aug 15 12 07:16 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:

They're not asking for money. They're asking for an autograph. It costs less than $5 to create a print, autograph it, and mail it to someone.

The same guy hits up well known folks as well. That's probably where the money mostly comes from.

Plus if any of the under the radar folks get huge, he can capitalize on that.

Aug 15 12 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

They could be building up a mailing list of gullible people to sell to the Nigerian Scammers.

Aug 15 12 11:31 pm Link

Model

TaylorDunn

Los Angeles, California, US

The world has gotten really strange.

Aug 15 12 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Fischer

Buffalo, New York, US

Lol that's my city. Clifford st is the projects. There's an old guy that likes to steal people's photos and sell them downtown. It's probably him. Don't do it.

Aug 16 12 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

TaylorDunn wrote:
The world has gotten really strange.

so true!!

Aug 16 12 11:16 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

If they can somehow get one of your credit card numbers or a drivers license or SSN and they have your signature ...

Aug 16 12 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

AimeeButler wrote:
Hi everyone smile

-----------------

Dear Aimee, I'm writing to you in regard to my husband Kenny who has gone through major back surgery and is going to be laid up in bed for a long while. My husband is a very big fan of yours. I would like to ask if you could please send him an autographed photo. If you could I know my husband would be thrilled and I would be forever grateful to you. Thank You Very Much Sandy

Kenny Thrun
40 Clifford Street
Buffalo New York
USA 14210
-------------

Turns out kenny / sandy is writing to anyone & everyone, also likes to sell the autographs:

smile

Is there a big market for autographs by random people?  If so, why wouldn't those people be making a lot of money selling their own autographs?

Aug 18 12 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Is there a big market for autographs by random people?  If so, why wouldn't those people be making a lot of money selling their own autographs?

Shhhh.

I sell mine for $8,200 each.

Aug 18 12 10:31 am Link

Model

Marketa Fei

Berkeley, California, US

WCR3 wrote:
If they can somehow get one of your credit card numbers or a drivers license or SSN and they have your signature ...

Uhhhhh...Idk about you, but my autographs are usually my professional name, under which you're not allowed to have credit cards...

Aug 18 12 09:17 pm Link

Model

winking_wonder

New York, New York, US

Moments Exposure wrote:
Lol that's my city. Clifford st is the projects. There's an old guy that likes to steal people's photos and sell them downtown. It's probably him. Don't do it.

ROFL! smile

Aug 18 12 11:02 pm Link

Model

Teahliyah

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

I just got this same message... smh. If she can sell my pics and autograph... I must be doing something wrong... Lol!!

Aug 29 12 07:18 am Link

Model

CongoLebanese Model

I received this message 'TWICE' but I never replied smile

Sep 02 12 03:59 am Link

Model

Jasmine Renee

Dallas, Texas, US

I just got this email! Google poor kenny, and its crazy how many other people have received the same message. Surgeries for yrs...lol

Sep 09 12 11:47 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

How weird and what a bummer!

Good luck with your Rock singing!

Sep 10 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

Spent a little time with the Copper Bottom Band the other night. Heard a familiar voice at the buss door while the autograph hounds were getting their fix... My Wife.

Sep 10 12 06:44 am Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

Here is hoping Kenny actually does need back surgery one day and they use a chain saw up his rectum for the operation!   smile

Sep 16 12 09:25 am Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

hahaha I JUST got this email too lol

Sep 16 12 08:04 pm Link

Model

Teryn Diesel

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I just received this same message last night.. and stupid me was considering sending this guy a calendar.. glad something told me to google him first..

Sep 20 12 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

AimeeButler wrote:
Hi everyone smile

-----------------

Kenny Thrun
40 Clifford Street
Buffalo New York
USA 14210
-------------

smile

I don't get the scam? What are you bring scammed out of? Aimee I looked into our port, and you're remarkable, and hell, I would even get hit by a car if that will get me your autograph... but then what? An autographed Beyonce photo might sell, but an autographed  Bluestill photo just won't feed the kids. Instead of running an elaborate scam, why not just print your photo and have a female friend sign your name to it and I say it is your signature? Who would know? But more so, who would care? Can I have your autograph? :-)

Sep 21 12 12:20 am Link

Model

Miss AY

Bluestill Photography wrote:

I don't get the scam? What are you bring scammed out of? Aimee I looked into our port, and you're remarkable, and hell, I would even get hit by a car if that will get me your autograph... but then what? An autographed Beyonce photo might sell, but an autographed  Bluestill photo just won't feed the kids. Instead of running an elaborate scam, why not just print your photo and have a female friend sign your name to it and I say it is your signature? Who would know? But more so, who would care? Can I have your autograph? :-)

The scam is that they are pretending to be a fan wanting a signed autograph, when really what they are doing is collecting/reselling the photos.

Sep 21 12 09:25 am Link

Model

Melissa Drew

Denver, Colorado, US

I just got this email today, and one of the main reasons I knew it was a scam right away is that my email address isn't posted ANYWHERE in relevance to my modeling. I don't think it's such a dumb scam though--- I bet they've gotten quite a few responses with people sending them free autographed photos, in which they end up selling.

Sep 21 12 11:57 pm Link

Model

the model jo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Yes, I was just unfortunate enough to receive an email like this as well.

The funny thing is, they should stop playing with our hearts thinking we have an adoring fan out there sick in bed! ;-p

Sep 23 12 05:00 pm Link

Retoucher

InsQian

Chaozhou, Guangdong, China

Jhono Bashian wrote:

so true!!

I agree, colorful world.

Sep 26 12 03:24 pm Link

Model

Mindy Burnette

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I got this email a few days ago and red flags went up.  So I didn't reply or anything.  Nice to know my instincts were correct!

Sep 26 12 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Augustine York wrote:
The scam is that they are pretending to be a fan wanting a signed autograph, when really what they are doing is collecting/reselling the photos.

Where am I missing out on the huge market for print photos?  Why run a scam when you can TAKE photos and sell them legally, if so many people are eager to buy them.

Sep 26 12 07:50 pm Link

Model

Miss AY

Art of the nude wrote:

Where am I missing out on the huge market for print photos?  Why run a scam when you can TAKE photos and sell them legally, if so many people are eager to buy them.

I am not sure of the market - I have heard of models making money from signed prints, but the whole point of this scam is that they don't have to pay anything to get them, so anything they sell is pure profit.

Sure, they could buy a camera and hire a model to get the photos. But they are scammers. They want to make money without having to go through legitimate channels.

Sep 26 12 07:52 pm Link

Model

Anonda Rae

Peoria, Arizona, US

I got a similar letter, one that said Kenny was a disabled army vet. So being my family is full of military and military vets I almost felt honored and pleased, till I googled the name. I couldn't understand why or how anyone could want an autograph from me considering I am pretty much a no body. So I wrote back tell this "Sandy" that I googled the name and found out it was quite a scam and this is the response I received.

"Regardless of your google there is no scam  my husband is disabled and does think your beautiful.  But I can see your beauty is only on the outside. The answer to my request was
a simple yes or no. No one is forcing you so there is no need to be rude. You asked if he was military. And yes he is a Vet who proudly served in the Army.That is nothing to joke
about. And both of our fathers proudly served as well as other family members. So thank
you just the same. But my husband doesn't need an autograph from you. Have a nice day!!"

In some aspects I wonder is there really is a "Kenny Thrun" and maybe I was a bit harsh. But I still don't understand why this person could want autographs of people who are famous and from people who aren't anything special....either way I felt awkward and weird about it do I listened to my gut.

Oct 11 12 06:22 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I got this message on my FB fanpage. I already knew it was BS, but I sent a letter back explaining that models don't generally own copyright to their photos and they were welcome to contact my photographers and purchase a print from them for me to sign.

INSTANT silence. big_smile

Oct 11 12 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

not sure what value a non-celebrity autographed print would have? perhaps its just a strange but harmless collection that cheers up a disabled guy?

Oct 12 12 03:23 am Link

Model

IDiivil

Oh wow, I had this exact email ... Thanks for the heads up. I thought something was wrong when I got it - especially when it was sent twice to me.

Oct 12 12 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

IDiivil wrote:
Oh wow, I had this exact email ... Thanks for the heads up. I thought something was wrong when I got it - especially when it was sent twice to me.

I would love your autographed photo!  Photographing you is a better idea.   smile

Oct 12 12 06:01 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

lol I got this email in my gmail account..

Oct 12 12 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jordan Bunniie wrote:
lol I got this email in my gmail account..

It looks like everyone is getting the email.

Oct 12 12 06:22 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

It looks like everyone is getting the email.

We mm models must be the next big thing!

Oct 12 12 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

SPV Photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There must be more profitable scams than this!

Oct 12 12 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:

I don't know the exact scam but I'm willing to bet they already have other information and just want the person's signature.

Oct 12 12 06:43 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I don't know the exact scam but I'm willing to bet they already have other information and just want the person's signature.

I agree..

The thing is.. what value does a stage name signature have with legal name information? Unless they're trying to ID your writing style to copy it.

Oct 12 12 06:49 pm Link