Forums > Photography Talk > Looking for some insight from you photographers...

Model

Earth Angel 555

Los Angeles, California, US

Realistically, as a photographer, what attracts you to work with a model? Is it the way she presents herself? Location? charisma? attitude? Ive had a little run in with a photographer that says if i wanted to get serious with modeling ( height being an issue, but..) i needed a strong portfolio. I know this is true, but i have NO idea where to start.. As a photographer and viewer, something needs to stand out in the picture. What would most appeal to you? thanks for your time....  i need help badly! lol

sarah

Aug 17 05 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Earth Angel 555 wrote:
snipped......
i need help badly! lol

sarah

Why? You have a great look, beautiful images and your mainly looking for TFP/TFCD's. I would work with you in a second.

I'm confused!

Aug 17 05 10:48 pm Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

thanks.. ::blushes:: just havnig my doubts

Aug 17 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Earth Angel 555 wrote:
thanks.. ::blushes:: just havnig my doubts

Yeah, we all get into that mode now and then. Get over it! If there were a lot more models like yourself on MM the site would stop working from too much traffic. After seeing so much crap on here, looking at you and your work is like finding a beautiful oasis in the desert! smile

Aug 17 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

One thing that's important to building a strong portfolio is having a firm and realistic grasp of what your potential is and what your goals are.  Have you read everything at www.newmodels.com?  The more you know about where you're going, the easier it will be to get photographers to help you along the way.

Aug 17 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Chex

The pictures I want to capture:

If you look at the pictures inside Vogue, W.  they are all techincally correct.  (proper lighting, composition, style, etc.)  the pictures I remember the most, and most interested in, are the ones that just pop out at me.  Usually its just the expression on the model.  Something that makes me want to know what the model is thinking.  Its hard to explain but  here is an example.  just something about her expression captures me.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … 00d6d13429

THIS PART IS MY OPINION.
For a book, for fashion modeling, the clients / agents want to see a model who fits their market, and will be able to sell their product.  So for your book you want pictures of you that show who you really are, and what makes you different and more capable to sell their product then the other models.

Aug 17 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

i like models who have faces you could just stare at for hours.  oh... a nice rack and a bubble butt would be nice too.

i like latina chicks.  white chicks come in second.

Aug 18 05 12:19 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Honestly... money!

I shoot modeling portfolios that often get jobs for the models.

Fashion is a job and it seems that how I shoot gets responses by the right people.

Editorial photojournalism inspires me, that's why I am interested in photography since I was a child.

A photo of Fidel Castro, the one of Che Guevarra, J.F. Kennedy or the Afghan girl are my inspiration and passion.

I shoot so many models, I shoot runway, fashionweek, etc... that's to make a living, but I shoot every model with all my passion for photography that I have, no shortcuts!

However... I have encountered only two or three models... they inspire me to create great images... but that is for the art, not for the money.

Not sure if I am making sense to you, or I may sound weird... but fashion is a job to me... I feel "art" in that one, but I get my inspiration from somewhere else. Yet... what inspires me in the first place is what transcends into my portfolio shoots (and some photographers noticed that in my photos).

*Wondering how many enemies I have just made?*

Aug 18 05 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Udo R Photography wrote:
Honestly... money!

*Wondering how many enemies I have just made?*

Everybody but the accountants...

Aug 18 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Everybody but the accountants...

LOL

Aug 18 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

craigWphoto

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I look for models who fit the look I need first of all, then I consider experience level. What is right for me is not a NYC runway model, or someone who has been on 27 magazine covers. Personally, I look for someone who is serious enough to show up, but new enough to be easy going and open about the shoot, not a diva.

Aug 18 05 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Personally, I think you should drop the demand for "all high quality images".  That will turn of a lot of serious photographers as they want control over the final image.  Some may be ok with it but many won't, and why would you want to limit your prospects?  If you have specific needs, discuss that with the photographer you are considering working with and see if he is able and willing to meet them.

You've got a great start to your portfolio though.  Just be careful, use some common sense and be professional and reliable.  90% is simply showing up smile

Aug 18 05 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Looks pretty damn strong to me. Let me know if you are ever anywhere near the Bay area or Sacramento.

Aug 18 05 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

I think you're on your way to a great portfolio and I love its editorial edge. Dunno what else to say other than if I have a project the next time I'm out there, I'd definitely consider you.

Aug 18 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Charisma is a good word, it's one thing that sets the best off from the rest.  You're lucky that you seem to have already acquired a dose.  Actually your work is very nice. 

What do I look for?  Physical things are important, and I'm often intrigued by an unconventional look (but then, I do a lot of alt).  Passion for the work is more important, really; the model needs to be engaged, aware.  I like to work with interesting people, with real personalities and diverse backgrounds.  Effective communication is good, so is reliability.  I like to book a shoot, discuss ideas, get the project done, with a minimum of drama and with everybody coming away happy.

I'll agree with Brian, define the market niche you're interested in pursuing, the kind of work you'd like to do.  Then work to get images that will attract those kinds of clients.  You're off to a good start.

Aug 18 05 12:45 am Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

Thanks for your guys' repsonses!!!! they seriously helped. I guess i need to focus more on what im shooting after. Which is representing a brand or clothing. like BEBE or Dior as an example. Is that editorial commercial or fashion? im so lost.lol anways. thanks again for your comments.. smile

Aug 18 05 01:26 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well the models look.  You I would hire you if you did my type of work.

Location does not worry me since I fly more of my models to the locations I am shooting at anyway. But being close to where I am shooting does help.

I look at your web page or book and see what you have done and how you look in the shots. 

I do look at stats since your figure type is impostant. I do look for tattoos, stretch marks, scars and that sort of thing.

But when I look at your work I like to see your face.  I want to see how you look while having your photo taken.  Are you happy, sad, bored and coulnd't care less look. True I do not know what the photog was looking for but I see and think when I look at your work.

So hope that this helps.  bs

Aug 18 05 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

I like to see an expresion of something. If your face looks the same in every picture it might turn me off. If you have life to you, I don't care how good or bad the pix are in your port, I will work with you.

Keep in mind that in the long run it is not the photog you are trying to impress with your port... Only while building a port through tfp. Try to work with shooters who are willing to colaborate with you... Create the images that you want and need to make an impression on larger clients. In the big game it is almost never the photog who is calling the shots...He's taking them as dirrected. Some of the better gigs I have had, I had nothing to do with the Pre-Production off. I was told what to capture and with whom to do so.

By the way, want to shoot?

Mike

Aug 18 05 04:56 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Face. First thing I look at. I want expression and feeling and a lot of it gets displayed through the face. Body language is secondary. Try and get a couple good headshots, get some different looks.

Aug 18 05 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Earth Angel 555 wrote:
Realistically, as a photographer, what attracts you to work with a model? Is it the way she presents herself? Location? charisma? attitude? Ive had a little run in with a photographer that says if i wanted to get serious with modeling ( height being an issue, but..) i needed a strong portfolio. I know this is true, but i have NO idea where to start.. As a photographer and viewer, something needs to stand out in the picture. What would most appeal to you? thanks for your time....  i need help badly! lol

sarah

Do you honestly want honest answers?

Aug 18 05 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I usually have ideas for how I want a series of images to look and I seek someone who fits that role...

Aug 18 05 06:19 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

You have a strong portfolio (beware of photographers selling shoots by undermining confidence and overselling results).  If you take into consideration that the high-end print fashion standard for women hovers around 5'9-11" (2/4-6), you know all the dreaming and wanting in the world will only leave you 4 inches short.  However, perhaps unbelievably, there is life after and beyond fashion for good models.  Although I've heard commercial heights for white girls favor 5'8", actor ability plus look (real person, often attractive) count too.  Then there's everything else: health, fitness, glamour, fine art, fine art nude, etc.; stock (commercial or editorial) photography; assigned editorial (photo-illustration directly responsive to an editor's request); and, related, promotions and, I guess, spokesmodeling.

I'm shooting TFCD with models with varying purposes in mind (I want to work for magazines; I want to sell stock; I'd like to see some art for art's sake as well).  Here's what I look for:

1. Location.  Local's great; regional's fine, depending on day or overnight travel costs.

2. That face! That soul! That temperament!  I ask myself when looking over a "port" (love the language here), "What could I do with this person in the way of a fine or commercial art image?"  I could set up a tea ceremony or an early evening in the life of, a cup of coffee on a deck overlooking a waterway, an afternoon at the beach, or I/she/he (I'm an equal opportunity shooter) could work through some meditation on the body and time, the shades of afternoon light passing through a window . . . .  There's plenty to do and it doesn't necessarily involve the beauty or height standards set on the high end in New York and Hollywood.

3. Cooperation.  I am done, done, done with amateurs who want The Controlling Hand (and who produce an endless supply of barbed wire and doubt) in collaboration.  As I am trying to get atmosphere in my work and moments in motion, not poses, I also want to work with people who can shoot through the time needed to get a right, even righteous, shot. 

--Jim

Aug 18 05 08:32 am Link

Photographer

RCphotos

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

You are obviously very pretty and comfortable in front of the lens. The only thing I would recommend is to show more diverse emotions in your work. You exhibit about 4 different looks in your portfolio. I, for one, would love to see a photo of you smiling.

Rob

Aug 18 05 08:52 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Most shoots I do now are "for the moment".

In other words, it's either an assingement, concept or need for my book.

Rarley do I accpet unsolisited models just to shoot.

Unless of course Angie Harmon and Cindy Crawford contract me to shoot a pictorial for Penthouse (I'm holding my breath).

Aug 18 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

You have LOTS of great stuff!!

What draws me to a model?  Well, other than good looks, I love a GREAT smile!  Girls that have great teeth are winners for me because I love making pictures with smiles!!  Happy fun pictures are more fun to show off and post around work (I show off a lot at work smile )

If you've got a killer smile, then I've got time and a camera for ya big_smile

Aug 18 05 10:03 am Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

Aaron_H wrote:

Do you honestly want honest answers?

yes the brutal honest truth

Aug 18 05 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Brutal honest truth...

Your pictures show a good, strong beginning. You are on the right track.

What turns me away from you is all the stuff you wrote on the cover page (or what ever we call it). First I would edit it a lot so that what it says is positve and clear rather than so much what you won't do and what you do demand. All that can take place between you and the photographer.

Secondly when you have cut it down to a third of the length and have someone proof read it for you. When you market yourself, which is what this is all about, I would think you would want to show you are a clear thinking woman who can speak well.
Does that effect your photographs, not really, but it does effect who will bother to look beyond all that stuff on your front page. Its simply too much. Be simple, clear and polished.

I have no doubt you will do well.

Aug 18 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat if you were on my side of the continent.  You have a great look.  If you ever get out this way feel free to let me know, and we'll set something up !

Aug 20 05 11:59 am Link