Forums > Photography Talk > getting sunburn out of photos?

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm not really sure if this is where I'd pose such a question, so if it's out of place forgive me.

One of my favorite images is ruined by partial sunburn on my shoulder/ arm. For two weeks I've been trying to get it to look halfway decent without overkilling it with PS. Can someone suggest a tutorial that will work? My biggest problem is that the sunburn is directly touching my tattoos, making it a major pain in the ass to fix correctly.

I have tried searching for a tutorial on this, but have come up with nothing that really helps.

Lost cause or fixable?

* Before it is mentioned, yes I wore sunblock, and I avoid the sun like the plague, this is one occasion where it was not avoidable short of wearing a long sleeve shirt in 90 degree weather.  smile

Aug 17 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

craigWphoto

Columbia, South Carolina, US

make a snapshot in the history dialogue, then tweak the color correction (and maybe saturation) in the original to fix the sunburn (add cyan) then paint back everything else with the history brush (set to the snapshot).

Aug 17 05 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Sunblock Plug-in for Photoshop.

Aug 18 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

CraigWPhoto wrote:
make a snapshot in the history dialogue, then tweak the color correction (and maybe saturation) in the original to fix the sunburn (add cyan) then paint back everything else with the history brush (set to the snapshot).

I was going to suggest a technique that's almost the exact same thing, just a complete different way of doing it.  (Curves adjustment layer with a mask over all but the sunburn.)

Aug 18 05 02:01 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thank you.
I will give those suggestions a shot.

Aug 18 05 10:08 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I'd magic wand the area then lower the saturation until it's close then clone the areas you want the shade to be and add them in.

If that dosen't work, camp in front of Bush's Texas Ranch until he meets with you.

Aug 18 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Sunburn cannot ruin such beauty.

Would it be weird if i asked you to send the full res photo to me so i can edit it. I am working on editing photos and since i work alot outside this may come up at some point.
I do not have any photos with the sunburn issue and i have a few ideas i would love to try.
I will not post them on any sites or anything, stricly for editing purposes. If i find something that works i will email it back to you with the edit.

Sounds good?

Aug 18 05 10:20 am Link