This thread was locked on 2014-12-26 20:02:36
Forums > Events > Oct 13 / 2013 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' / Cabo & PV

Model

Ella Clair

Washington, District of Columbia, US

F-stop Jonny wrote:
Wow $350 per person !
That's hard to pass up, "Team Jonny" just might be back next year.

For what it's worth, Jodi, Marla and I had a blast this year, (and we got some wicked cool photos too).

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120910/19/504ea06f55293.jpg

freaking gorgeous

Sep 19 12 04:46 pm Link

Model

Jin N Tonic

Miami Beach, Florida, US

wow! really getting this one started early!! i better get it out there then:

hi! my name is jin n tonic and i am a professional actor/model/badass. you would like to sponsor me smile
-JNT
www.JinNTonic.com

p.s. i am going to go ahead and predict right now that this thread reaches 200 pages by the time the cruise actually happens. excited! hope to be a part of next year's cruise too, the first one was too much fun!!

Sep 19 12 09:09 pm Link

Model

Jin N Tonic

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Isabella V wrote:

freaking gorgeous

love this!! what a great team!

Sep 19 12 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Helton

Berkeley Lake, Georgia, US

Already put a deposit on my cabin!!  Hoping to get more models actually photograped (only got about 50% this year).  Would like to get close to 75%!

A year of anticipation is going to suck!

Sep 20 12 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Simi Valley, California, US

1) Does anyone know when the pricing increases?
2) Am I allowed on this one or was there too much drama on the last one?
3) I still haven't looked at all my pics from Sept 9 but I gave my model over 900 pics.
4) I won't pick my model until August 2013.

Sep 20 12 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

F-stop Jonny wrote:
Wow $350 per person !
That's hard to pass up, "Team Jonny" just might be back next year.

For what it's worth, Jodi, Marla and I had a blast this year, (and we got some wicked cool photos too).

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120910/19/504ea06f55293.jpg

What was the lighting setup for this?

Sep 20 12 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Bob-W wrote:
1) Does anyone know when the pricing increases?
2) Am I allowed on this one or was there too much drama on the last one?
3) I still haven't looked at all my pics from Sept 9 but I gave my model over 900 pics.
4) I won't pick my model until August 2013.

THAT is probably the wisest and most intelligent thing to do... buy your two ticket NOW that the price is super-cheap... then pick your model when YOU KNOW they won't have traveling or scheduling issues... borat

Sep 20 12 05:17 pm Link

Model

maranne

San Diego, California, US

wow. Way to plan ahead! I would love to go. Let me know if there's any sponsors out there that would be willing to work together. :-)

Sep 20 12 05:28 pm Link

Model

Cherish Loyd

Hesperia, California, US

in one year!!!! dang gary lol

Sep 21 12 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Cherish Loyd  wrote:
in one year!!!! dang gary lol

It will take me that long to edit the pictures from the last cruise!

Sep 21 12 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Hmmm...wonder what I can get on the cruise this time!?!  >;D

Anyone down to be my evil side-kick?
Must be free-spirted, open minded, a bit daring! And Yes Mayhem will follow! It is MM after all! Hahaha

Sep 21 12 02:53 am Link

Model

Jin N Tonic

Miami Beach, Florida, US

lol, perfect! ;D

Sep 21 12 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

I did the pricing for an extended balcony room and it totals $1800 including tips and taxes.

Sep 21 12 02:43 pm Link

Model

KristyJessica

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I am going on a cruise shoot like this OCt 1-6! I would love to join another in the future, when will the next one be?

Sep 21 12 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Albert

Bob-W wrote:
I did the pricing for an extended balcony room and it totals $1800 including tips and taxes.

About 150 buxs a month!

Sep 21 12 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Albert

Pure Rebel wrote:
I am going on a cruise shoot like this OCt 1-6! I would love to join another in the future, when will the next one be?

Hahaha, this one is for next year in October, but it is going to be great to have you on the one coming up in a little over a week.

Sep 21 12 03:06 pm Link

Model

Drea - Bulletproof

San Francisco, California, US

I would love to attend this. My budgets not very good. But I am more than willing to shoot my heart out with anyone who wants to sponsor or co-sponsor me xoxo

Sep 21 12 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Drea - Bulletproof wrote:
I would love to attend this. My budgets not very good. But I am more than willing to shoot my heart out with anyone who wants to sponsor or co-sponsor me xoxo

It's more than a year away but you have strong qualifications.

Sep 21 12 08:02 pm Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

Jason Becker wrote:

well hopefully they dont wait till the last minute...  but i feel it actually takes away from having to feel like u owe something to someone for bringing u on the cruise  8)

Actually, the models who paid their own way seemed to have more incentive to show up for the group shoots.  Some of the models who had their tickets paid for didn't show for them...

Sep 22 12 10:46 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

(deleted - lacked relevancy)

Sep 22 12 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Isabella V wrote:

yay! smile we better drag my wife and Jodi along! smile

The last one was SO much fun!!!

Hey Isabella... it sure was... had a blast here too.  I'll be somewhat changing up the format of this event so that the groupshoots are alittle more structured... with less outside interferance.  Hope to seeya next October... wink

Sep 24 12 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

F-stop Jonny

BOISE, Idaho, US

Yani S wrote:

No joke, me too.

Sep 25 12 04:49 am Link

Photographer

F-stop Jonny

BOISE, Idaho, US

Bob-W wrote:
What was the lighting setup for this?

Sun was mostly behind Marla. Had a single strobe (ABR800), on a light stand off axis, for fill.

Sep 25 12 04:54 am Link

Photographer

F-stop Jonny

BOISE, Idaho, US

Select Models wrote:
I'll be somewhat changing up the format of this event so that the groupshoots are alittle more structured... with less outside interferance.  Hope to seeya next October... wink

That's good news smile

Will the number of participants be limited next year?

Sep 25 12 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Here's one new addition I've added to the original post that wasn't included in the Sept 2nd Cruiseboat Photoshoot... something added to the 'attendion interested models' section... wink

If you are a model who has serious issues about giving away release rights to images of you captured BY ANY PHOTOGRAPHER during these 4 scheduled groupshoot events, even as enticing as this free cruise offer may be, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS EVENT!

This addition has been added to eliminate any possible confrontation that may arise between models and photographers possibily arguing over release rights after the event is over... wink

Sep 25 12 11:59 am Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

Matthew Helton wrote:
Already put a deposit on my cabin!!  Hoping to get more models actually photograped (only got about 50% this year).  Would like to get close to 75%!

A year of anticipation is going to suck!

I would suggest starting with models you didn't get to shoot this year...if they return...and using the group shoots to work with models other than the one(s) you are sponsoring.  Each group shoot is at least 3 hours in length.  If you give your model 1/2 hour at each one plus the extra time outside of group shoots, that leaves you with 2.5 hours for other models. 

If you spend a half hour with each model, you can get 5 in at each group shoot. 

Just an idea

Sep 25 12 12:08 pm Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

Select Models wrote:
Here's one new addition I've added to the original post that wasn't included in the Sept 2nd Cruiseboat Photoshoot... something added to the 'attendion interested models' section... wink

If you are a model who has serious issues about giving away release rights to images of you captured BY ANY PHOTOGRAPHER during these 4 scheduled groupshoot events, even as enticing as this free cruise offer may be, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS EVENT!

This addition has been added to eliminate any possible confrontation that may arise between models and photographers possibily arguing over release rights after the event is over... wink

Can you please clarify your definition of release rights?  Does that mean the model cannot use the photos for self promotion or on her MM profile?  If so, that effectively means that for the sum of $350, a model will be working a minimum of 16 hours with I'm guessing at least 20 photographers to provide them with images for self promotion?  Hmmm.  That comes out to a little over $20/hour...not including time for hair and makeup. 

And what about models who pay their own way?  Would that mean that they are paying for the opportunity to shoot with photographers and still have no rights to the photos?

I think it would be incredibly important for models to know EXACTLY what it is they are getting into BEFORE they agree to go on the cruise.

Sep 25 12 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Celine, I have pics for you soon. Thanks for patience.
The release allows pics to be sold. I like to have releases for portfolio to be safe.
Most guys will give low resolution images without releases.

Sep 25 12 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

You may call me Celine wrote:

Can you please clarify your definition of release rights?

No problem... it means photographers have the right to use your image on their MM portfolios, as well as post your image on this forum... HOWEVER... photographers must not post any image on this forum, or use any image on their MM portfolio that the model does not approve of.  Models will have the right to use any photo that photographers post or use.

That info will also be posted on page one... wink

Sep 25 12 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Mizz Ro wrote:

Hey Ruben! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Had a great time shooting with you at Gary's studio shoot a few months back! smile

I am going to be doing some serious thinking about you.

Sep 25 12 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

I have really been looking forward to one of these shoots and after looking at results from previous shoots there are 3 main qualifications that I am looking for in my choice of models.

I am willing to pay her/their fair and no matter what the cruise costs she should know that not only is she for her ticket getting the chance to shoot with me but with all the other photographers. I want a model who is not going to talk about the money but instead knows what she is getting. By agreeing she is also implying that she is on the same page. 

1. Most important is her personality. No drama queens.

2. More than anything I want to get breathtaking photos. My plan is that I have one year till this cruise and even though I consider myself a very talented photographer I have one year to become much more. I want models and photographers to say "wow, your work is amazing." So, I am looking for models who can bring it. Maybe you are like I am now so how about we work to be much better between now and then. That is the model I want. And let me clarify I am not stating work with me between now and then.

3. I want 2 models, models that like me want more than a cruise and lots of pics. I want models that really want amazing photos to add to thier portfolios.

Sep 25 12 01:51 pm Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

Select Models wrote:

No problem... it means photographers have the right to use your image on their MM portfolios, as well as post your image on this forum... HOWEVER... photographers must not post any image on this forum, or use any image on their MM portfolio that the model does not approve of.  Models will have the right to use any photo that photographers post or use.

Well, geez.  That seems awfully fair.  Thanks Gary...

Sep 25 12 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Step Above Photography wrote:
I have really been looking forward to one of these shoots and after looking at results from previous shoots there are 3 main qualifications that I am looking for in my choice of models.

I am willing to pay her/their fair and no matter what the cruise costs she should know that not only is she for her ticket getting the chance to shoot with me but with all the other photographers. I want a model who is not going to talk about the money but instead knows what she is getting. By agreeing she is also implying that she is on the same page. 

1. Most important is her personality. No drama queens.

2. More than anything I want to get breathtaking photos. My plan is that I have one year till this cruise and even though I consider myself a very talented photographer I have one year to become much more. I want models and photographers to say "wow, your work is amazing." So, I am looking for models who can bring it. Maybe you are like I am now so how about we work to be much better between now and then. That is the model I want. And let me clarify I am not stating work with me between now and then.

3. I want 2 models, models that like me want more than a cruise and lots of pics. I want models that really want amazing photos to add to thier portfolios.

As a "one-cruise veteran" I have some advice...
1.  Drama queens:  Look for experienced traveling models.  They have learned how to deal with the crap that tends to get to the younger, under 25, inexperienced model.  This is not to say all young models are drama queens, because they aren't.

2.  Breathtaking photos:  The photos you want call for collaboration.  Again, experienced models know how to bring it.  My best advice would be to prepare for the experience by becoming expert at (1) shooting with flash on the noon beach to knock out eye-shadows, (2) shooting into the sun at high noon as well as sunsets, (3) shooting available light at 3200 ISO, and (4) knowing how to quickly adjust your white balance if you are only shooting JPEG.

3.  Actual shoot times:  If you are planning to work with your model(s) for any length of time during group shoots, you will be working at cross-purposes with the whole concept of the cruise!

Sep 25 12 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

You may call me Celine wrote:
Can you please clarify your definition of release rights?

Select llamas wrote:
No problem... it means photographers have the right to use your image on their MM portfolios, as well as post your image on this forum... HOWEVER... photographers must not post any image on this forum, or use any image on their MM portfolio that the llama does not approve of.  llamas will have the right to use any photo that photographers post or use.

I'd also like to see the llama release include a photo ID. 

I would even be willing to volunteer to collect digital signatures and photo ID's, and have a handout of all the llama releases ready at cruisetime.

Sep 25 12 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

David Lumen Photography wrote:
As a "one-cruise veteran" I have some advice...
1.  Drama queens:  Look for experienced traveling models.  They have learned how to deal with the crap that tends to get to the younger, under 25, inexperienced model.  This is not to say all young models are drama queens, because they aren't.

2.  Breathtaking photos:  The photos you want call for collaboration.  Again, experienced models know how to bring it.  My best advice would be to prepare for the experience by becoming expert at (1) shooting with flash on the noon beach to knock out eye-shadows, (2) shooting into the sun at high noon as well as sunsets, (3) shooting available light at 3200 ISO, and (4) knowing how to quickly adjust your white balance if you are only shooting JPEG.

3.  Actual shoot times:  If you are planning to work with your model(s) for any length of time during group shoots, you will be working at cross-purposes with the whole concept of the cruise!  (As an example, one such photographer on the last cruise mainly shot his model and no one else.  He continues to post photos of this model, when it would be nice to see his work with other models...as well as how other photographers would have seen his model.  While he is a very nice guy...he pursued his own agenda over the cruise agenda that he agreed to, and this kind of action undermined the whole intent of the cruise.)

Thank you David. Lighting is one of my favorite subjects. I learned and continue to learn from what's his name....hmmm... Gary something. That guy  from Select Models. Learned alot from Drew and Karl too. Plus a few others that I am impressed with their lighting skills.

Oh, I know very well about experienced models. As a photographer I have learned from some of them. Charlie Kristine is one of my favorites because not only do I learn from her I get to learn from photographers who work with her. But, I want to be fair and there are some very talented models that I feel can do the job. I will make my decision no latter than April and trust me I will know. I also have a list of photographers that I want to work with, learn from.

Again, I thank you. This sharing of knowledge no matter how small, no matter if it is something I know it is always and I mean always a pleasure to learn a little more. And keep this between you and I, I still think that I have a lot to learn.  smile

Sep 25 12 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

If I decide to go. Ill help out where I can!
I thought the last one was done really well!
I thought llama releases were going to be taken care of but all good. I'm a big boy and will handle it!
But to me the cruise was perfect! Ok my cabin got a little crowed but I lived. Roomates where great!
"Gary the Great" did an Amazing job for someone that wasn't getting paid!

Sep 25 12 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

@ Ruben, Step Above

I didn't mean to imply that you personally didn't know your lighting, nor how to choose a model.  Your post provided an opportunity to share information with others.

Shooting conditions tend to be extreme at times.  Some seasoned photographers even had problems with the sun on the first beach shoot, and some stopped shooting altogether.  The cruiseship also offered a lot of great available light shots also...shots best done with a fast lens and no flash.

Also...in over 30 years of photography, I had never shot a model in front of a sunset, as we rarely see them in the Seattle area.  The cruise was the first sunset opportunity for me, and I'll be finding ways to shoot them before the next cruise.

Sep 25 12 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Scottsdale Images

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

One quick question,

How are the cabin/cabinmate arrangements made, decided.. etc?

Sep 25 12 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Scottsdale Images wrote:
One quick question,

How are the cabin/cabinmate arrangements made, decided.. etc?

This past cruise it was left up to the model and photographer to decide rooming arrangements.  Some models roomed with their sponsors, and some did not.  The photographer chooses the model to bring.  By sailing time there is usually a list of hopeful models that are looking for a sponsor.

Sep 25 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

(deleted - double posted)

Sep 25 12 06:09 pm Link