Forums > Model Colloquy > Finding High Quality TF Photographers

Model

Ani A

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've started TF modeling recently just for fun and have struggled to find really good photographers to work with, especially living in Wisconsin. I have mainly been traveling to work with the best, but usually I'm not even sure where to start in order to find them!

Any advice on easy ways to search for the best TF photographers?

Sep 19 12 11:34 am Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Use the browse section here to find photographers close to your area. Ask. The worst they can say is no. Also, don't be too stubborn to pay a quality photographer. You are spending so much traveling why not just stay closer and use the money to work with great people around you. Some photographers have great rates that will really offer a boost in your port. Once you have built a great port TF sessions will come easier.

Sep 19 12 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Darik Datta

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Quality is subjective. IMO you can tell a lot just by looking at their MM port. If you want to find good TF photogs I would suggest keeping an eye on the casting calls in your area and responding to those photogs whose work you like. You'll never know for sure til you've done at least one shoot with them so you have to roll the dice, but that's how it goes.

Sep 19 12 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Most talented photographers will require payment from non agency models.  Most will also struggle to figure out why you would pay BP, Delta, and Holiday Inn-but not them.

Sep 19 12 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
Use the browse section here to find photographers close to your area. Ask. The worst they can say is no. Also, don't be too stubborn to pay a quality photographer. You are spending so much traveling why not just stay closer and use the money to work with great people around you. Some photographers have great rates that will really offer a boost in your port. Once you have built a great port TF sessions will come easier.

+1

Sep 19 12 12:08 pm Link

Model

Ani A

Chicago, Illinois, US

Loki Studio wrote:
Most talented photographers will require payment from non agency models.  Most will also struggle to figure out why you would pay BP, Delta, and Holiday Inn-but not them.

Well, I don't mind the travel, which rarely costs more than $20 in gas and tolls. Way cheaper than what I end up spending on wardrobe, even with thrift shop prices.

Sep 19 12 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich II

San Diego, California, US

Also search in your area for commercial and lifestyle photographers. If their work interests you, drop them a note and make yourself available for testing.

Sep 19 12 12:56 pm Link

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:

This is just about it. smile

Sep 19 12 12:58 pm Link

Model

Emily Decoteau

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It doesn't always help, but putting up casting calls yourself works too.  I find offering a great idea/theme/wardrobe will sometimes get better photographers interested when they might pass over you otherwise.
But still we struggle smile Good Luck!

Sep 19 12 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Ever make it to the twin cities?

Sep 19 12 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

If you are in a rural area pick a city and plan a trip. Contact several photographers in the area and try to arrange 3 or 5 sessions over a two-night stay. You can use the browse function here and on other sites.

It is very possible you can get better pictures doing TF in a large market than paying photographers in a small town.

Sep 19 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

There are no good photographers in Madison, Wisconsin?

smile

Sep 19 12 08:13 pm Link

Model

Ani A

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:

smile

There are many! The question is finding them among the zillions of profiles. Avatars are my main way of guessing, but it takes a long time to filter through. Just wondering if there was a short cut.

Sep 19 12 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Ani A wrote:

There are many! The question is finding them among the zillions of profiles. Avatars are my main way of guessing, but it takes a long time to filter through. Just wondering if there was a short cut.

I see. Well, if I come across any I'll be sure to send them your way!

Sep 19 12 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

That Trend

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm on the Illinois/Wisconsin line if you like my work:)

Sep 19 12 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If you can't find them, this could mean different things.

-Ambiguity or unclear / unrealistic terms in your bio. (Who cares if you are a photographer too, your modeling page is what will interest photographers, they aren't working with you to talk shop as an automatic thing) Also, are you demanding too much, like RAW photos etc,?

-Not having the look they need, or not doing what they need for a trade arrangement

-Expecting them to pay for the stylist (It doesn't say whether you plan on splitting that expense at least)

-Are you looking for the right style of photographer? And how can you benefit their books? How are you finding and contacting them?

That said, you shouldn't have trouble, the better your port gets, the better you will attract. If you were in my area, I would shoot TF with you, if you at least did implied nudity. Or we came up with a concept we both found interesting. Have you narrowed and defined your own style? That will help narrow your search too.

Sep 19 12 08:28 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The way I find most the work of photographers I like is actually through them posting in the forums, especially so if they don't live in Ontario.

Either that or from looking at a models work, really liking the photography and checking out that photographers port.

Or just using the browse function.

edit: Have you seen T H Taylors work? He's in your state (I don't know how far away he lives from you) and he's defiantly someone I'd look into working with. I've heard great things about him. https://www.modelmayhem.com/45851

Sep 19 12 08:33 pm Link

Model

Ani A

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm sorry if I have offended or confused anyone. I was just asking for advice on how to search, and thank you for the relevant answers I have received. I'll keep on networking and scouring.

Sep 19 12 08:38 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

All of the photographers I've shot with in my port, to the exclusion of F.Alt Photographics (my first photoshoot), have been for trade. The trick for me was to not settle settle on mediocre work. I would browse MM for photographers in my area, from 'recent activity' showing up first. I would click on avatars that caught my eye, read profiles and look through portfolios. If I like their work, I would message them asking if they would like to do a trade shoot. I either got positive replys or no reply at all, and voila! Nowadays I go off of MM as well as Facebook now that I have a fanpage and am starting to network outside of the MM realm.

Good luck to you, it will come smile

Sep 19 12 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yes, I guess a lot of clicking on random avatars.  Definately search by last activity, I would think that folks that have been members for some time but that are still active will have a higher chance of being good. Check out who models you like have shot with.  And definately see if TF Taylor will shoot with you.  And come to Chicago.

Sep 19 12 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Funny that I find this thread you started because I was honestly just looking at your modeling and photography portfolios this afternoon, thinking it would be interesting to try to work out a co-shoot with you sometime....if my work is up-to-par, that is.  wink

(I'm certainly not on par with TH Taylor, however.)

Sep 19 12 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Ani A wrote:

Success requires a certain amount of effort.

MM shows 222 photographers within 5 miles of Madison Wisconsin and a total of 296 within 50 miles.  That is actually not a lot of profiles to work through, especially as you can probably ignore those that have not logged in recently.

Sep 19 12 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Ani A wrote:

Psssst...  Look at who's responding to you. 

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:

Sep 20 12 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Look at their port . . .

What you think is the best may not be in another's opinion . . .

Shoot diversely with a variety of good photographers . . . the odds will be in your favor.

Sep 20 12 07:15 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Casting calls , browse feature and forums. 

Best of luck
Joseph

Edited since I just read that you just needed to know how to search

Sep 20 12 07:30 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

network (preferably in person) and ask around. around here there are a few guys who do the bulk of the model shooting. once you get connected to that crowd it's pretty easy to find out who these people are.

sometimes photographers who work with models aren't on mayhem (they don't want that association for their business). you might find them by posting a notice on CL or through other means.

if you want fashion then maybe you need to find the fashion guys. but some of them may want to charge.

Sep 20 12 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Marc S Photo

Irving, Texas, US

One of the commercial photographers I assisted with for years liked to say that "all photographers got started because they wanted to shoot pretty girls".  I can tell you many commercial photographers (guys that normally shoot product or people in business situations or things that look like ads) have forgotten that they like playing with cameras (only shooting for money these days).

Look in phone books under photography, commercial for the names and websites of commercial photographers.  Many would be pleased to hear from an attractive model who was interested in testing and might be happy to arrange a shoot with you.  While you wouldn't be shooting with a photographer who's big in fashion, you would be shooting with a guy who knows photography and lighting and probably has lots of equipment to execute a concept.

Sep 20 12 09:18 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

there's a guy one street over from us who is a commercial photographer yet his shop windows are plastered with model pictures. but i'm guessing he's more likely to be PPA than mayhem.

Marc S Photo wrote:
Look in phone books under photography, commercial for the names and websites of commercial photographers.

Sep 20 12 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:

Hmm, I think this could be one reason she can't find any! tongue

Sep 20 12 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

Ani A wrote:

I get 296 photographers within 50 miles of Madison. Skimming quickly, I can see maybe 20 or 25 that look interesting to work with - or that would interest me were I a llama.
That's actually more than I expected, and better quality. But not that many to work through.

You spend a couple of weeks approaching roughly the top 10% - the nines and tens on the old one-to-ten scale. If you don't find someone there then you have to decide whether to dip into the eights or try to travel.

Sep 20 12 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Nick Peluffo

Brooklyn, New York, US

Come to New York, there's tons of us here!

Sep 20 12 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Post hidden on Sep 20, 2012 09:42 am
Reason: violates rules

Sep 20 12 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Silver Mirage wrote:

I get 296 photographers within 50 miles of Madison. Skimming quickly, I can see maybe 20 or 25 that look interesting to work with - or that would interest me were I a model.
That's actually more than I expected, and better quality. But not that many to work through.

You spend a couple of weeks approaching roughly the top 10% - the nines and tens on the old one-to-ten scale. If you don't find someone there then you have to decide whether to dip into the eights or try to travel.

There's even some in this thread! smile

Sep 20 12 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Not sure if I qualify, but I'm only a few hours away. I sometimes agree to TF shoots
smile

Sep 20 12 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Woven Thought

Petersburg, Virginia, US

Is it the nudes that the photographers shot that bug you?  I'm having a hard time understanding this with models so anti-nude.  Is it the nudity = easier to rape thought?  I guess it's my art background, nudes are so basic to art, I just can't fathom a model who sees herself as an artform not doing them, or plan to do them once they have a good relationship with the photographer.  I DO agree not to drop your clothes upon first meeting some stranger!  smile  That might be a dangerous habit.

Sep 20 12 09:52 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I don't know how "high quality" I am, but I'll shoot ya  .  .  .  now, ya jest gotta tell me where Wisconsin is  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Sep 20 12 09:55 am Link

Photographer

RP Nudes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ani A wrote:
I've started TF modeling recently just for fun and have struggled to find really good photographers to work with, especially living in Wisconsin. I have mainly been traveling to work with the best, but usually I'm not even sure where to start in order to find them!

Any advice on easy ways to search for the best TF photographers?

I read the whole thread and see where your question is more about search. You just have to spend time searching a city, and then combing through tons of portfolios.

I was an art director for a small agency and I had hundreds of comp cards on my desk in stacks. I would get new ones in the mail every week or so from all the agencies. I spent a lot of time looking though those cards whenever I needed to cast for something.

When I started shooting with people from this site, I spent hours looking at portfolios, bookmarking people, sending messages, etc. From all of that work, I now have a pretty good idea who is in my city. I still visit the site every day and see who's announcing on the home page, who's participating in the forums etc.

A loose rule of thumb that I've seen people state here is try to work with people who have better pictures in their portfolio than your own. As you go along and shoot more, you'll meet good photographers, hair and makeup artists, other models, who will turn you on to *other* photographers you may not know about or found in your searches.

Sep 20 12 10:05 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

This thread makes me want to move to Wisconsin!

Sep 20 12 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

annie lomowitz

WOODY CREEK, Colorado, US

RP Nudes wrote:

I read the whole thread and see where your question is more about search. You just have to spend time searching a city, and then combing through tons of portfolios.

--

When I started shooting with people from this site, I spent hours looking at portfolios, bookmarking people, sending messages, etc. From all of that work, I now have a pretty good idea who is in my city. I still visit the site every day and see who's announcing on the home page, who's participating in the forums etc.

---

+1

Oh, look at more than their avi -- it will only take 10 minutes a day for a week.

annie.
-- ps. use that "days" part of the search to find the actives in your area.

Sep 21 12 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:

smile

You said it!   big_smile

Sep 21 12 07:35 am Link