Forums > Photography Talk > Cheap off camera flash for beginners?

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

same price/performance as YongNuo?  we are all interested.

I've never owned a Metz flash, but I've heard good things from those that do and I've seen some and the build quality is very good.  I've never thought of them as "low cost", but that's probably because when I've looked at them in the past I was checking out the models they have that are compatible with my camera's remote firing system.  Those are pretty nice and have the ability to get firmware updates as new bodies are introduced.

They have a couple of "dumb" flashes under $100 and the $100 flash claims a GN of 98.  Looks like a nice option to Yongnuo.

Dec 10 12 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Saurabh Makkar

Delhi, Delhi, India

Hello All.. First post/qustion smile

How about the Nissin ones, Di622 mark II?

Dec 16 12 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

GM Photography wrote:
I've never owned a Metz flash, but I've heard good things from those that do and I've seen some and the build quality is very good.  I've never thought of them as "low cost", but that's probably because when I've looked at them in the past I was checking out the models they have that are compatible with my camera's remote firing system.  Those are pretty nice and have the ability to get firmware updates as new bodies are introduced.

They have a couple of "dumb" flashes under $100 and the $100 flash claims a GN of 98.  Looks like a nice option to Yongnuo.

The $40 460II has a GN of 118 - why would I pay double for half a stop less power?

Dec 16 12 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

YZF Jeff

Statesboro, Georgia, US

i've got a 430 EX II and i want my next flash to be something easier to change flash power and other settings quickly as i find the 430 EX II's interface kinda clunky. are the yongnuo 460's and 560's the same way?

Dec 16 12 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eternal Captures

Palm Bay, Florida, US

ImageX wrote:

Agreed. I just think a TTL flash would be easier for a beginner to get good exposures. Then, once they start learning the science of light, they could flip it into Manual mode and start experimenting. I think everyone.... including Pros... should have at least one TTL speedlite.

I agree, TTL is great, but now that I shoot manual 100% of the time I see its flaws big time, but I will say that nothing beats their speed, and if you can learn to limit the drawbacks and inconsistenties you can get great shots and fast big_smile

Dec 16 12 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

YZF Jeff wrote:
i've got a 430 EX II and i want my next flash to be something easier to change flash power and other settings quickly as i find the 430 EX II's interface kinda clunky. are the yongnuo 460's and 560's the same way?

Press the left button and the power goes down... press the right button and power goes up. (with the 560 - pressing up and down increases 1/10th between stops)

https://speedlights.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/YN460-YN460-II-YN560_800.jpg

Dec 16 12 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

YZF Jeff

Statesboro, Georgia, US

that's how it should be! not press the center button, wait for lcd to flash, then change power with some banana shaped button. thanks!

Dec 16 12 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

-JAY- wrote:

The $40 460II has a GN of 118 - why would I pay double for half a stop less power?

I'm perfectly happy with the build quality of the Yongnuo flashes, but I'm sure you know that their quality control isn't the best and they ship a lot of dead flashes - http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Flash-Spe … ewpoints=0

I look at a $40 flash as a disposable item, but I think your odds of having a dud are going to be a lot less with a Metz and it has a nice digital display.  The controls on the YN-460 II are kind of cheesy.  I'd go in between and get a YN-560 II, but I can see why some would prefer the Metz over a Yongnuo.

Dec 17 12 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Saurabh Makkar

Delhi, Delhi, India

GM Photography wrote:
why some would prefer the Metz over a Yongnuo.

What about Nissin ones, Di622 mark II or the higher spec one?

Any opinions/feedback out there?

Dec 17 12 07:11 am Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Its really going to come down to how you use it. If you'll use it sometimes on location as fill you can get away with a cheap one, practically any cheap one, almost like a disposable. Just get one with a head that moves. If you want to shoot a lot or do wedding/event work a cheap one will not do. Cheap flashes just dont recycle fast enough and are not meant for constant shooting/use.

I have a travel kit I bought, I use on location sometimes or just casual shooting. They are easy quick to use over my SB's.

Kit I bought, I bought a 3 light. I have Lumapros but they dont carry them anymore. Super bang for the buck on these flashes IMO. To bad they are gone.

http://mpex.com/strobist/strobist-kits.html

I think this is the almost equal replacement they carry $139- http://mpex.com/nissin-di-466-speedlight-nikon.html

Dec 17 12 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Bethany Souza wrote:
Do you have any personal suggestions?
I found the Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight, but I'm not sure on it.

Cant go past the YN-560 for value. I have 4 of them and 2 YN-460II

I prefer the 560 because it gives an beep when its ready to fire again. I've had 2 go faulty but had no issues returning them under warranty to the ebay seller. They actually shipped 2 brand new units upon be emailing proof of postage to them, so the replacements arrived in a little over a week. I should point out that the 2 I had go faulty were purchased when thew design had only just been released so it may have been initial batch reliability issues.

Dec 17 12 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

KA Style wrote:
Cheap flashes just dont recycle fast enough and are not meant for constant shooting/use.

Rubbish, the YN-560 or YN-460II's recycle in less than 3 seconds. In fact they are fater than my studio lights.

I run them on half power (1 stop under full) and they cycle in around 1.5 seconds. Just as fast as the SB's

Dec 17 12 07:32 am Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Revenge Photography wrote:

Rubbish, the YN-560 or YN-460II's recycle in less than 3 seconds. In fact they are fater than my studio lights.

I run them on half power (1 stop under full) and they cycle in around 1.5 seconds. Just as fast as the SB's

In general they dont... there are always exceptions to the rule. It was a general statement thats all.

Dec 17 12 07:55 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

what about calumet genesis 200 or 300b

Dec 17 12 09:19 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Rachel Reilly wrote:
what about calumet genesis 200 or 300b

Those are strobe lights, not speedlights... I have one of the 200 units and would not recommend it.  The digital power adjustment has had issues where it skips settings (from 15- 25 for example instead of 15-16) and I have had some weird issues using it with my radio triggers (Buff Cybersyncs).  I'd recommend Alien Bees (B400 or B800) for something in a similar price range.

Dec 17 12 09:25 am Link

Photographer

sunn fotography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

YongNuo is superb. specially 560 II manual flash powerful/greatest price.

They have the E-TTL/TTL supported models as well.

http://hkyongnuo.com/e-ourproduct.php?category=1.Flash

Dec 17 12 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I ran across the YN-560s when I was Christmas shopping for a cheap flash for my Dad who just bought a new DSLR. I ended up buying two more for myself along with 4 rf603 radio triggers, a couple light stand umbrella/cold shoe adapters from Cowboy Studio and two more Cowboy Studio light stands. I should let my wife do the gift purchasing from now on. lol.

Have had them for a couple weeks now and I love them. On full power they recycle slower than what I am used to with TTL on my 430EX (Because it isn't using it all) but on lower settings they're pretty responsive. The rf603 triggers have been working nicely and while I haven't tested their range yet I got 50 feet out of them the other night with no issues.

I also prefer the 560 II flashes with the LCD screen so I can see the settings easily. Only minor gripe is when they are up high on a stand, the LCD viewing angle is narrow and it looks like all of the LCD elements are on which hides the number.

Then I recently ran into looking up pics on Flickr using 'strobist' as a keyword. Combined with my two Alien Bees strobes, now I'm itching to shoot anyone who is moving with these things. lol.

The coolest thing is not having to lug the AB's around with a big battery when I'm out and about.

Dec 17 12 01:08 pm Link